Worried Mika will become too big....

DS Nightly

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh! I felt so lucky to see Mika gloriously live! And indeed it was so intimate... :wub2: so personal... I am worried when you say it will be different later.

But I believe that Mika is special... and I believe in him. I think he will feel that we have been here for a long time, supporting him... trusting him... loving him. Even when his fame shines with golden lustrous brightness like he deserves, I feel that he will not let the light of wordly fame blind him... his eyes will remain ever-seeing... clear eyes. I know he will still seek out his true fans.. nothing could deterr him from us. I know that he will always want to meet us, to thank us... His is such a pure spirit, that he would not stand the fake fans... his sensitive soul would bleed at not being properly appreciated, or only appreciated on shallow grounds. He knows that we love him truly... for his eternal beauty... changing our lives... and we have changed his. He must love us always.

• 1 year later...

I think I understand what you mean.. I like him since last year, and I'm here since April.. Not that long, but it feels like I'm here a long time..

And even if everyone says the next album is better, and even if I like the songs on the 2nd album better, I think licm will always be my favorite album, just because I was so happy when I finally got it, and because the music helped me so much when I was feeling bad..

oh! I felt so lucky to see Mika gloriously live! And indeed it was so intimate... :wub2: so personal... I am worried when you say it will be different later.

But I believe that Mika is special... and I believe in him. I think he will feel that we have been here for a long time, supporting him... trusting him... loving him. Even when his fame shines with golden lustrous brightness like he deserves, I feel that he will not let the light of wordly fame blind him... his eyes will remain ever-seeing... clear eyes. I know he will still seek out his true fans.. nothing could deterr him from us. I know that he will always want to meet us, to thank us... His is such a pure spirit, that he would not stand the fake fans... his sensitive soul would bleed at not being properly appreciated, or only appreciated on shallow grounds. He knows that we love him truly... for his eternal beauty... changing our lives... and we have changed his. He must love us always.

Very well said !:thumb_yello:

Of a star, that is....Like, now we have SO MANY opportunities to get all close to him and actually meet him in person (esp in America!), but if he DOES become a huge figure (which no doubt he will within the next few years), it'll be sad that his arenas will be bigger and more more MORE people in them. I mean, it's good for Mika, but bad for the fans that been with him since he started. :( It's like a win-lose situation.

Anyone else agree?

I thought the same, that him playing big arenas would be the end of closer interaction with the fans.

But after Paris (sold out 55,000 seated stadium) when that dwindled down to about 30 people at 2am when he came out, I realised that he has no intention of stopping doing that.

Obviously, it will be determined on how he feels at the time, like always his health has to come first, but I think he wants to keep some sort of contact with the fans, so I don't see that how big he becomes will change that.

I agree! Call me selfish, but I've not yet been to a Mika gig, and I really don't want my first taste of live Mika to be in some soul-less 20,000 seat arena.

I'm not good at sharing. :mf_rosetinted:

lol! same here!! although im hoping to go next year...i want my friends to come too, but if we DO get to meet mika, im worried that he'll pay more attention to them...stupid i know :bleh:

I agree. Although this is good for Mika, people have selfish gene... I've went to his gig, I met him, but I don't think I really met him, I mean, I just gave him my album for an autograph, nothing more. I'm greedy... But we can think in a positive way! More people like Mika, more chance for us to talk about him in public! Not just on MFC but the real life! That also mean Mika would come to more diffierent places (like Hong Kong, selfish gene again..)!:mf_rosetinted:

I think we're entitled to be a little bit selfish Space!

I really do hope I get to meet him before he gets too big, altough with my luck I probably never will. :thumbdown: That has been my only goal in life for the year and it will be for a long time now probably. And like Savage Beauty said, he might find himself getting more tired and doing more gigs than he can :no:

I unfortunately probably won't get to go to one of his concerts or meet him before he gets too big. I just hope I DO get to go to one of his concerts, which probably won't happen if my parents have their way:thumbdown:. And I agree, I hope he can handle his increasing popularity.

If he ever comes back, I doubt he'll do great big gigs... probably a bit bigger than the one in Sydney...

Seeing as he hasn't bothered to do much more promo than what he did June last year, he doesn't have anyone else to blame but himself and the record company for ignoring Oz...

Any chance you want to help out with the campaign to bring Mika to Australia, New Zealand and Asia?

Actually I just saw Justin Timberlake the other night and I could easily see Mika up there and am looking forward to the day.

I was extremely lucky to see Mika in a 600-person club but those days are already over. I'm thinking of going to London to see him in December but the idea of those venues puts me off. Cramming into general admission standing floors with 10,000 people is not my idea of a good time. I would much prefer to just buy seats and show up 5 minutes before the show than to line up all day and half the night just so I don't get stuck with thousands of other people standing directly in front of me, blocking my view.

I hope that as fan club members we will eventually have access to premium seats and will still be able to see the concerts up close, except with much less hassle.

As for not getting to meet him.. Mika is a performer, not our friend. I think if fans in smaller markets expect to see him live in the future, you should hope for his continued success. Canada has had the bare minimum of Mika access as it is and LICM has gone platinum here. If he loses popularity in Canada he may never come back.

I hope for it... I would like to see him again in Oz... though if he does come back, I might faint from shock...

i think that has happened already... iit is kinda putting me off. and its just gonna get worse :thumbdown:

You came back to visit!

All along? I'm having a hard time understanding what people mean when they say "we" have been supporting him all along and then mention these other so-called fans who are going to block our access to Mika, making it grossly unfair since we are his "real fans".

Who is a "real fan"? 3 million people have bought his album and hundreds of thousands of people have seen him live (which is more than can be said of many members on MFC). Why do you presume that they are not real core fans and are less entitled to meet him than you are?

There are only a handful of people I know of who have truly been by his side since the beginning. I downloaded a couple of his songs in November and in March I became one of only 1,200 Canadians who've seen him live. I joined the fan club a week or two later. Even that I don't consider being by his side from the very beginning because he was enjoying immense success in the UK and France from the moment he first got airplay. I'm sure the only reason many of us have even heard of him is because he was well on his way to huge success before we came along.

There are fans he knows by name and face because he has had so much contact with them since the start of his career, but I'm not one of them and neither are thousands of other people who would consider themselves a real fan.

You're right that wanting to meet Mika is natural. I don't think there's anyone here who wouldn't love half an hour to sit down with him and have a good chat, but except for the fortunate few who have some kind of extraordinary access to him, this is now pure fantasy whether his popularity continues to grow or not.

My greatest fear for Mika is that he will be a one hit wonder and his dreams will be shattered after all his years of preparation and backbreaking work of the past 12 months. To hear people say that their greatest fear is to not be able to talk to him for 2 minutes and get a photograph and an autograph seems selfish to me.

To hear people say that they are somehow more entitled to spend time with Mika than other people who also love his music is disturbing to me. I am a member of MFC because I enjoy Mika's music, there is a lot of information about him on the site and I love talking to many of you about Mika. I'm not here to prove to the world and Mika that I am a real fan and believe it entitles me to some kind of personal attention from Mika when it's not physically possible for him to give that kind of attention to all of his fans.

I agree Christine...

He also dosen't come to America as much as I want him to,and I also imagine seeing him!

He's been to the US heaps more in the last year than somewhere like Canada... or the Asia-Pacific region...

If some people get their wish and Mika is not hugely succesful then that's exactly why he won't come to smaller countries.

If Mika doesn't gain popularity in North America eventually he will stop wasting his time coming here. He has been bending over backwards trying to break in the US because his backers are American and he has a strong affinity to the US through family and industry ties. Also the payoff, should it happen, will be enormous. Even moderate success in the US could double his worldwide album sales.

But if it never happens he will have to concentrate his efforts on Europe and Asia because he can't continue to dig himself into a financial hole here when he could be earning a good living elsewhere.

That's exactly what happened to Robbie Williams, who is far more massive worldwide than Mika. As far as I know Robbie hasn't been to Canada since 1998 or 1999 even though he has been breaking world records in terms of quantity and speed of ticket sales.

I paid $15 to see Mika and the money spent putting on that show was ridiculous. He had to fly himself and the band to the states and then up to Canada. He had to hire circus performers, hand out hundreds of lollipops, decorate the place in balloons, get a bubble machine in and rent expensive animal costumes. None of it was justified by the cost of the ticket or the size of the audience. I felt like I was at a private record album launch, not one of the cheapest shows I've ever seen in my life.

I was a lucky, lucky fan to be in the right place at the right moment and of course I'd love to live it all over again. But to expect Mika to continue to incur this kind of debt and go to this much trouble to make a few hundred people happy without the promise of having great success in the future is ludicrous. Even if he wanted to, he just couldn't do it indefinitely.

If I have the choice of seeing Mika at the Air Canada Centre or having to spend $2000 to fly to London or Paris, I'll take the Air Canada Centre.

I completely agree with you Christine...

I count myself very very lucky to have been able to see him in Sydney last year... and almost saw him in March this year at V festival in Sydney and Melbourne, but he pulled out because of "recording commitments"...

My personal opinion is that people keep whinging about Mika not becoming really really popular just so they can meet him is a bit selfish. There are a lot of places he hasn't done any sort of promo (Finland, Singapore, New Zealand and Taiwan for example) and a few others where he's done some promo over a year ago (Australia, Japan, Hong Kong for example).

If he isn't hugely popular, then he won't bother going to other countries... As it is, he's probably considering not touring Australia and others...

If I could afford it, I'd go over to other countries and go to a concert, but as it is I can't, because we're so isolated.

I just think people need to accept that as he gets more popular, the concerts are going to be bigger and bigger, and it's going to be harder to meet him. Meeting Mika and talking to him is not our right. People should see it as a priviledge...

I mean, I'm a huge fan of U2, and I have no hope of meeting them if they ever come back to Australia (even though I plan on stalking Adam and Bono while they're here! :das:)... If I do happen to meet U2, then I will take it as me being very lucky and blessed. That's all it is.

I'm sorry if I insult anyone, but I find it difficult to be okay with people complaining about Mika getting more popular, especially when he's been in their country more than once...

I hope to meet him in November but I doubt it..

I'm thinking of going to London to see him in December but the idea of those venues puts me off.

Do you two know something about a tour or something? There's nothing on the calendar

I hope that as fan club members we will eventually have access to premium seats and will still be able to see the concerts up close, except with much less hassle.

This sounds good at first, but I don't see how it could be fair. If better tickets come with membership, too many will join for it to be workable. Unless you charge people- in which case you might as well have a "golden cage" like in Beirut. Other criteria are equally difficult- length of membership? well it might work once but then you'd either need a new criterion or have to give the best seats to the same people who had them before. Number of posts- well some people hate writing or are never at home. This is something I seem to read suggested a lot on MFC, and I'd like to believe it, but...

My greatest fear for Mika is that he will be a one hit wonder and his dreams will be shattered after all his years of preparation and backbreaking work of the past 12 months.

Absolutely. I simply cannot understand people who wish him less ALL his dreams- and he's often said he's aiming for a long career. Either he gets bigger or smaller, there's no standing still anywhere, least of all in popular entertainment. I suppose in a way I admire people's confidence in being afraid he'll be too big- like they think he cannot fail. And to be honest, I don't think

WOW!! Blast from the past!!

And how come I never commented on this thread when it was done?! Shocking.

Anyway, just for the pleasure of quoting these words :fisch:

I was extremely lucky to see Mika in a 600-person club but those days are already over. I'm thinking of going to London to see him in December but the idea of those venues puts me off. Cramming into general admission standing floors with 10,000 people is not my idea of a good time. I would much prefer to just buy seats and show up 5 minutes before the show than to line up all day and half the night just so I don't get stuck with thousands of other people standing directly in front of me, blocking my view.

Muahahahahaaaaaaaaa :roftl:...London anyone? :bleh:

And now Violetta's turn:

And while Christine says 10.000 people capacity venues put her off, I say this happens to me already concerning the 5000/6000 people venues for the fall gigs in Germany. Maybe this is because crowds in general make me feel uncomfortable when it comes to intrude my personal spacial comfort zone... but that is not Mika's problem for he will take over larger places than that with or without me.

The opportunities of actually meeting him... yes most probably that will change, you'll need a lot more luck to get hold of him before or after a gig and most probably there won't be long chats with fans after his performances but nobody knows that for sure.

For me personally I can still say that I won't ever find myself in a queue after one of his gigs to get stuff signed or pics taken but that is just me and my weird view on things and doesn't mean I think people who do so were strange or not normal. I know it is me who is not normal in this regard for I just don't see the point. Yet it is not that I would not want to meet him but this is a whole other story...

*cough*Amsterdam*cough*18000 people, Brixton after party....Munich... :bleh:

I thought the same, that him playing big arenas would be the end of closer interaction with the fans.

But after Paris (sold out 55,000 seated stadium) when that dwindled down to about 30 people at 2am when he came out, I realised that he has no intention of stopping doing that.

Obviously, it will be determined on how he feels at the time, like always his health has to come first, but I think he wants to keep some sort of contact with the fans, so I don't see that how big he becomes will change that.

Actually, I was also sure that we'd NEVER get to see him after Paris, so it was a bit of a shock when we did, and could even chat a bit.

I've been to smaller gigs where it wasn't possible :naughty:.

Anyway, this post is only a tease, please don't get upset anyone hehe

Uh oh. I think some of this stuff is going to come back to haunt me in the very near future. :roftl:

:lmfao:

It's funny how people are quoting your posts from 1 year ago :naughty:

Hello, people! This thread is a year old.. :roftl:

Do you two know something about a tour or something? There's nothing on the calendar

2007 :wink2:

Oh Sara knows. She's just having a laugh at me and Violet.

*goes to dig up sariflor's posts from 2007*

Oh it should be fun!:roftl:

But I still want to buy a seated ticket and walk in 5 minutes before the show starts....lovely thought...:wub2:

But I still want to buy a seated ticket and walk in 5 minutes before the show starts....lovely thought...:wub2:

Come to Canada then. I'm pretty sure he'll be playing seated venues outside of Quebec next time. He already has in Vancouver.

I've been afraid of this too. I don't even want to think of it! I just want to be greedy. I sort of like that he's this big secret, you know? Not exactly, but I feel more special because I know who he is, in a way.

I'm afraid I disagree! I have met him once and would love to again, but I accept the fact that I probably won't again.

But I don't want Mika to be a secret, I want the whole world to come to love him. I want him to be as big, if not bigger than The Beatles!!

A big part of the joy, for me personally, would then be knowing that I was one of the first people in the world to recognise his amazing talent. That's what all of the 2007 fans should be thinking of.

I don't think the future is bleak for his fans, because he can't see us personally as much as he did. I feel excited that he will be in huge stadiums with his travelling circus, so to speak. He is unique as a performer already and will become more unique as time goes on and he gets to fullfil his vision in his concerts.

So please everyone, cheer up and look on the bright side! this isn't the end... it is only the begginning!