Hollis and Sarie's Thread of Randomness (All are Welcome!)

backflip_76

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, it's basically bread without yeast. Flour and water.

They either look like this:

communion-wafer-2.jpg

or this:

wafers.jpg

Other churches us them to, like the Episcopal church. My friend is Byzantine, and I think hers uses it, too. I don't know. I might spend the night at her house this Saturday, and if I do, I'll be going to Byzantine Mass with her, so I'll find out then.:thumb_yello:

so that's what they look like!

if you do find out, tell me.

it's interesting learning about other relgions.

did you know most people think Mormons have horns?:blink:

I like rum...in mojitos, at least. :roftl:

...Hi. I'm Danielle, and I'm an alcoholic.

Blame it on my grandad. He makes wine and lets me drink it. And the mojito was my dad's, I just had a sip :bleh:

tsk tsk.

my grandpa used to be a big boozer back in the day.:bleh:

well..we're not like a cult where it's forbidden.

we can do pretty much what ever we want.

so, we can drink, smoke, be immoral, whatever.

because we have agency, we can choose what we do, but there are also consequences.

Mormons think of their bodies as temples, so that means we just need to keep our bodies clean of the things that aren't good for it.

*whew*

No, I don't think of it as a cult. I promise.:thumb_yello:

I was just wondering how strict the average Mormon was as far as caffeine and alcohol went.

like in the Catholic church, birth control of any kind of forbidden. But alot of priests say it's okay. Which goes against the Pope, but y'know...

And as far as the consequences go, you guys don't have to repent to a authority figure of the church, do you? I forget what Mormon leaders are called... like priest, minister, pastor?

so that's what they look like!

if you do find out, tell me.

it's interesting learning about other relgions.

You mean you don't? :roftl:

I've never heard that one...how bizarre

It's really cool for me learning about religions because I'm not really religious myself and we don't learn about them in school...

ROFL, don't you?

No wait, that's mountain goats.

I'm always getting the two confused. *eye roll*

People really hate Catholics. Like... REALLY hate Catholics.

I like learning about other religions, though. Even if I don't plan on BEING a certain religion, it's fun to learn what other people do. I think Hinduism is neat.

You mean you don't? :roftl:

I've never heard that one...how bizarre

It's really cool for me learning about religions because I'm not really religious myself and we don't learn about them in school...

:bleh:

nope!

my head is smoothe :D

we have a religion class called Seminary, and it doesn't count on your GPA.

No, I don't think of it as a cult. I promise.:thumb_yello:

I was just wondering how strict the average Mormon was as far as caffeine and alcohol went.

like in the Catholic church, birth control of any kind of forbidden. But alot of priests say it's okay. Which goes against the Pope, but y'know...

And as far as the consequences go, you guys don't have to repent to a authority figure of the church, do you? I forget what Mormon leaders are called... like priest, minister, pastor?

hee hee, i know you don't :D

our leaders are called Bishops :thumb_yello:

and you only have to go to them if it's a really big thing, like adultery.

basically, that's against the rules, so in order to be fully forgiven, you are excommunicated for a certain period of time, then you are re-baptized and clean again.

ROFL, don't you?

I like learning about other religions, though. Even if I don't plan on BEING a certain religion, it's fun to learn what other people do. I think Hinduism is neat.

i do too :D

ugh, why can't people just get along?

i sound like a hippy :D

PEACE! LOVE! NO MORE WAR! MARIJUANA FOR ALL!

ROFL, don't you?

I've got nothing against anyone religious, it just really annoys me when people try and force their religion on to me, or anyone really. Everyone has a right to believe in something, or not to, and they should respect that.

our leaders are called Bishops :thumb_yello:

and you only have to go to them if it's a really big thing, like adultery.

basically, that's against the rules, so in order to be fully forgiven, you are excommunicated for a certain period of time, then you are re-baptized and clean again.

Catholic churches have Bishops too, but Priests are the ones who do the Mass. Each area of the country has their own Bishop. I think there's one for every couple counties. Our's name is Kevin.

Catholic church doesn't believe in re-baptizing. You go to confession anywhere from once a week to once a year, and go into a little booth and go "Bless me Father, for I have sinned, my last confession was __________" and then he says special prayers praying for your forgiveness, and you tell him what you did that was so sinful. Plus, there's a screen up, so that way it doesn't feel like he's judging you, or knows who you are. Some people just go to another church, though, where nobody knows them.:wink2:

You guys don't kneel when you go into the church, do you?

I've got nothing against anyone religious, it just really annoys me when people try and force their religion on to me, or anyone really. Everyone has a right to believe in something, or not to, and they should respect that.

i hate it when people try to shove my own religion down my throat!

the people here are so weird about going to church. if i don't go to church, it automatically makes me a bad person. :thumbdown:

but that's not all mormons!!

only around P-Town.

I know. I feel the same way. There's radicals of every religion though, but people seem to get most pissed off at Catholics for it.

You'd seriously like my Priest. He's the most amazing guy ever. He had to study hinduism, all forms of Christianity, buddhism, taoism, paganism, all that stuff. And he's not stuck up or anything. He's like "Look, if you want to be Catholic, that's great. If not, I respect you all the same."

Catholic churches have Bishops too, but Priests are the ones who do the Mass. Each area of the country has their own Bishop. I think there's one for every couple counties. Our's name is Kevin.

Catholic church doesn't believe in re-baptizing. You go to confession anywhere from once a week to once a year, and go into a little booth and go "Bless me Father, for I have sinned, my last confession was __________" and then he says special prayers praying for your forgiveness, and you tell him what you did that was so sinful. Plus, there's a screen up, so that way it doesn't feel like he's judging you, or knows who you are. Some people just go to another church, though, where nobody knows them.:wink2:

You guys don't kneel when you go into the church, do you?

nope, no pews for us!

but then again, my church is 3 hours long, so i don't think that would be very fun kneeling for that long.

My priest says he thinks that God has a special place for everyone in Heaven.

See, people are like "OH, Catholics think their religion is the correct religion!"... but doesn't everybody? If you're Mormon, but you think it's the wrong religion, why would you keep being Mormon, y'know? (Just using Mormon as an example)

But anyway, he said he thinks that everyone who tried to live a good life, and who doesn't belong to a religion that teaches against God will have a special place in Heaven. He told me he thinks Hindus are getting into Heaven if they lead a good life and aren't hateful, mean people.

I know. I feel the same way. There's radicals of every religion though, but people seem to get most pissed off at Catholics for it.

You'd seriously like my Priest. He's the most amazing guy ever. He had to study hinduism, all forms of Christianity, buddhism, taoism, paganism, all that stuff. And he's not stuck up or anything. He's like "Look, if you want to be Catholic, that's great. If not, I respect you all the same."

I think I would like him. That's awesome.

My priest says he thinks that God has a special place for everyone in Heaven.

See, people are like "OH, Catholics think their religion is the correct religion!"... but doesn't everybody? If you're Mormon, but you think it's the wrong religion, why would you keep being Mormon, y'know? (Just using Mormon as an example)

But anyway, he said he thinks that everyone who tried to live a good life, and who doesn't belong to a religion that teaches against God will have a special place in Heaven. He told me he thinks Hindus are getting into Heaven if they lead a good life and aren't hateful, mean people.

Kevin sounds pretty neat if you ask me :D

nope, no pews for us!

but then again, my church is 3 hours long, so i don't think that would be very fun kneeling for that long.

Do you stand the whole time?!

Well when you go into a Cath church, there's a little bowl of Holy water right inside the door, sticking at about waist level against the wall. And you dip your finger in it, then make the sign of the cross (forehead, heart, right shoulder, left shoulder) and silently say "in the name of the Father, and the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

Then when you go into the actual church, you bend down on one knee, bow your head, and kneel towards the front of the church or the alter for about two seconds. Then you sit in a pew until it's time to say special prayers, at which point you either stand, or you usually kneel. There's little things built into the pew in front of the one you're sitting in, and you pull it out and it's like a little bar you kneel on, so that you're not kneeling on the floor. Then whenever you leave, or come back into the church, you always do the kneeling towards the alter, because we believe that that's where Jesus is at every moment. So it's like respect.

Kevin sounds pretty neat if you ask me :D

Lol, no, that's my priest, Father Al.

Kevin is the Bishop, he doesn't go to our church like... ever.:tears:

Do you stand the whole time?!

Well when you go into a Cath church, there's a little bowl of Holy water right inside the door, sticking at about waist level against the wall. And you dip your finger in it, then make the sign of the cross (forehead, heart, right shoulder, left shoulder) and silently say "in the name of the Father, and the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

Then when you go into the actual church, you bend down on one knee, bow your head, and kneel towards the front of the church or the alter for about two seconds. Then you sit in a pew until it's time to say special prayers, at which point you either stand, or you usually kneel. There's little things built into the pew in front of the one you're sitting in, and you pull it out and it's like a little bar you kneel on, so that you're not kneeling on the floor. Then whenever you leave, or come back into the church, you always do the kneeling towards the alter, because we believe that that's where Jesus is at every moment. So it's like respect.

NO!

i'd have really strong legs if we did :D

we sit for all the meetings.

NO!

i'd have really strong legs if we did :D

we sit for all the meetings.

ROFL. I was like "...My God, you Mormons must have AMAZING leg muscles."

confusing!

my bishop's name is Dax. :biggrin2:

he's like...35, if that.

I think my priest is about 41.

Here, see these things on the back of the pews? They're long bars and they have things sticking out the back so they sit flat on the floor and don't wobble? Those are what you kneel on to pray. You pull them out of the pew the person in front of you is using.

pews.jpg