Simple misunderstandings between countries

babyblue

WE use Bloody and Bugger Quite alot here, we dont classify it as swearing, infact you can say sh*t on the radio over here

but what If I was to say bloody or bugger anywhere else, is it wrong, insulting?

Nope, we just sort of assume it's a dirty word in Britain.

You can't get away with ANYTHING on the radio / tv here. I watch BBC america and I'm, literally, shocked that some of it isn't bleeped. Not because I personally think it needs bleeped, but just because the people at the FCC tend to censor the most ridiculous things.

You can't say: sh-t, f-ck, c-nt, dick, cock, and there's a bunch more. If you take the Lord's name in vain, then they bleep out the first word. Like *BEEP* dammit, *BEEP* Christ (or Jesus *BEEP*)

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pineapple in the UK.

And blimey isn't really rude at all, I wouldn't say it meant damn either, more, an exclamation of surprise.

I use it quite a lot for example I would use it where you would use "wow" or or even "oh dear"

I'd say Damn in the same way.. instead of Wow.. so to me blimey is like saying damn.. and that's what BabyBlue means as well...

And I can say damn in a swearing way aswell,, damn has a few different meanings here I guess.. It's all in HOW we say it..

I think the only truly offensive word here starts with a C...

and I won't say it.. you will have to get me really angry first :bleh: (good luck)

the word bloody means nothing to us here.. just a word.. but can someone tell me what was with all the uproar when it was used in an Aussie ad?? and banned in the UK??:naughty:

You can't get away with ANYTHING on the radio / tv here. I watch BBC america and I'm, literally, shocked that some of it isn't bleeped. Not because I personally think it needs bleeped, but just because the people at the FCC tend to censor the most ridiculous things.

You can't say: sh-t, f-ck, c-nt, dick, cock, and there's a bunch more. If you take the Lord's name in vain, then they bleep out the first word. Like *BEEP* dammit, *BEEP* Christ (or Jesus *BEEP*)

here on the censor for music videos cut the words out, now they go a little overboard when fall out boy cant even say shirt, but then when your on the radio you can say oh sh*t and get away with it! same with the television, and bugger is just a regular word, there was a whole TV advertisement that said the word bugger an excess of 12 times in one ad

I'd say Damn in the same way.. instead of Wow.. so to me blimey is like saying damn.. and that's what BabyBlue means as well...

And I can say damn in a swearing way aswell,, damn has a few different meanings here I guess.. It's all in HOW we say it..

I think the only truly offensive word here starts with a C...

and I won't say it.. you will have to get me really angry first :bleh: (good luck)

the word bloody means nothing to us here.. just a word.. but can someone tell me what was with all the uproar when it was used in an Aussie ad?? and banned in the UK??:naughty:

that was banned in the uk?

I know, im not from australia, but we got it here I suppose we new zealanders found it funny and made fun of the add really (considering, I hear it was made by a new zealander)

wow, im surprised dick and cock got through, here, cock does have another meaning though.

this website is fun, it has alot of slang words on it

http://www.slang.otheday.com/

'Bugger' is stronger than 'bloody' here in the UK, I would say. Bloody really isn't bleeped out much on TV, although you wouldn't hear it on Children's TV or anything. Bugger is a bit stronger, and it depends on the context/usage.

For example, if you said "My son is a little bugger!!" or something similar, that is less offensive than using "bugger" as an exclamation of annoyance. I think. :blink: So many nuances!:blink:

I admit to being slightly surprised though when Ron kept saying it in the HP films - my daughter said "Ooh Ron just swore Mum!" and I think I told her that it was not a nice word but not as bad as the sh or the f word.

Hahah a few pages back i said "Blimey, Harry!" and i was quoting Ron Weasley, of course.

Ok, shhhhh im suffering from MAJOR harry potter withdrawal.

Ohh. If ever you guys come to Canada, don't think we're retarded if we say " I LOVE BEAVER TAILS!"

It's not really a beaver tail, its a pastry, shaped like one i guess, lol. and they're called beaver tails. you can put anything you want on them.. mmmm they're so good.

i think this one has cinnamon on it.

799px-BeaverTail_pastry_Ottawa.jpg

Hmmm, interesting......(it's lunchtime.....)

WE use Bloody and Bugger Quite alot here, we dont classify it as swearing, infact you can say sh*t on the radio over here

but what If I was to say bloody or bugger anywhere else, is it wrong, insulting?

No, come over here love, you will fit right in. :biggrin2::wink2:

My mom called me last weekend to inform me that my dad made her a pancake in the shape of - erm - male genitalia. :roftl:

I wonder if THAT is a Canadian-ism!

Wow...

I wouldn't mind seeing that! (though I'd find it disturbing if my dad did that - good thing is he can't cook pancakes!)

here on the censor for music videos cut the words out, now they go a little overboard when fall out boy cant even say shirt, but then when your on the radio you can say oh sh*t and get away with it! same with the television, and bugger is just a regular word, there was a whole TV advertisement that said the word bugger an excess of 12 times in one ad

That wouldn't be the Toyota ad with the dog, would it?

(Love that ad...)

Though, I was a little concerned when they took an ad down in NZ that had a model in her undies and holding a toy rhino, and a caption that read "Feeling horny?"...

Cookies and biscuits.:naugh0ty:

Biscuits and Cookies are the same thing, things with chocolate chips, peanut butter chunks, and oatmeal.

Underware is Undies

sneakers, tennis shoes, we call them sandshoes

A fizzy is a soft drink

A grapetize or appletize are sparkling grape or apple juice

we call McDonalds Maccas

we call flip flops jandals

we call Swimsuits togs

afternoon we say Arvo

a sausage is a Banger

barbecue is a Barbie

a man is a Bloke

Chips are deep fried slices of potato but much thicker than a french fry

Chippy is name for a builder or carpenter

Chocka means full

Greasies are fish and chips

Gumboots or gummies are rubber boots, wellingtons

Hard yakka is what we say for hard work

to Hollywood is to fake or exaggerate an injury on the sportsfield

Iceblock is what you call a popsicle, Ice Stick

a Popsicle is an Ice lolly

speed bump we call a Judder bar

AND last but not least, y'all should know this

KIWI - New Zealander

In red is the new Zealand words,

I've heard people around here (north east England) say "chocka" for full.

I love this thread!! It reminds me a bit of Bill Bryson's books!

How offensive is the word "bloody"? My mom heard Mika say it before Big Girl on youtube (you know the "show us what you're bloody worth" part), and she seemed shocked that he said it.

I think he actually says something a little more offensive than bloody (Show us what your f-ing worth!)

A couple of different ones in the different states here in Oz include

polony/ luncheon meat (processed meat roll)

swimmers/bathers/togs (swimming outfit)

peanut butter/peanut paste (people in syd look at you weirdly if you say peanut paste!)

port/backpack (schoolbag)

nikko/marker (my company is based in Brisbane and they sent someone in melbourne out to get a "nikko" (which is a brand but is used as a general term for a marker pen) and they came back 2 hours later saying they couldn't get one anywhere!

there are prob heaps more if I think about it!

my company is based in Brisbane and they sent someone in melbourne out to get a "nikko" (which is a brand but is used as a general term for a marker pen) and they came back 2 hours later saying they couldn't get one anywhere!!

Really dumb question - is it pronounced "Briz-bin" or "Briz-bayn"?

I just found a great Aussie sland dictionary

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Here is a sample:

B & S : Bachelors' and Spinsters' Ball - a very enjoyable party usually held in rural areas

Back of Bourke : a very long way away

Bail (somebody) up : to corner somebody physically

Bail out : depart, usually angrily

Banana bender : a person from Queensland

Barbie : barbecue (noun)

Barrack : to cheer on (football team etc.)

Bastard : term of endearment

Bathers : swimming costume

Battler : someone working hard and only just making a living

Beaut, beauty : great, fantastic

Big-note oneself : brag, boast

Bikkie : biscuit (also "it cost big bikkies" - it was expensive)

Billabong : an ox-bow river or watering hole

Billy : teapot. Container for boiling water.

Here are some more:

Maccas (pron. "mackers") : McDonald's (the hamburger place)

Mallee bull, as fit as a : very fit and strong. The Mallee is very arid beef country in Victoria/South Australia.

Manchester : Household linen, eg sheets etc.

Mappa Tassie : map of Tasmania - a woman's pubic area

Mate : buddy, friend

Mate's rate, mate's discount : cheaper than usual for a "friend"

Matilda : swagman's bedding, sleeping roll

Metho : methylated spirits

Mexican : a person from south of the Queensland or New South Wales border

Mickey Mouse : excellent, very good. Beware though - in some parts of Australia it means inconsequential, frivolous or not very good!

Middy : 285 ml beer glass in New South Wales

Milk bar : corner shop that sells takeaway food

Milko : milkman

Mob : group of people, not necessarily troublesome

Mob : family or herd (?) of kangaroos

Mongrel : despicable person

Moolah : money

Mozzie : mosquito

Muddy : mud crab (a great delicacy)

Mug : friendly insult ("have a go, yer mug"), gullible person

Mull : grass (the kind you smoke)

Muster : round up sheep or cattle