Wallet or Purse?

guapo!

Well thanks to the people who finally explained it. :huglove:

I haven't seen the DVD. My mom's on my case about spending so much money. I think she's frazzled because she to pay, not only for my sister's big wedding next month, but all the maid of honor things (dress, shoes, haircut, etc.) for me.:thumbdown:

But hey. Christmas is coming up, and maybe one of my friends from the MFC will get it for me.

*pretends to yawn, raises hand over head and points down at Hollis*

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vix, where is this photo from???

Look very closely and you can see Blue's beads hanging from the phone (under his hand)!!

mikapicture32.jpg

purse.jpg

No, you're getting the British terminology that Mika was using mixed up with Canadian English. They call purses bags and women's wallets are purses.

hahaha, read that again aloud, that is really confusing.

But we Aussies say purse/wallet as opposed to North American purses which are bags.

ROFL. She hit him with the bag. I love it.

Now I really really want this DVD. I like seeing famous people do things I do in my day to day life, like physically abusing my friends while at the mall.

Edit: and I have to agree with the person a few posts back. It's a wallet. And no, I'm not defending his metrosexual habits. I carry a purse and a wallet. His is just a wallet.

CHRISTINE!! Are you Londonembers???? How did I not know that???

Love the vid, the little skips, and Mikey Choi saying Dame Edna is what I'm about...I fell off my chair laughing!!

And it's a wallet.:biggrin2:

{:tears: wait until 25th dec} AAAW! I love that WALLET:thumb_yello:

I have the same thing and here we call it a "portomonee"

I love to add more complication to already complicated stuff, but this translation might after all clarify things.

In french we have two words : portefeuille et porte-monnaie

Portefeuille would literally translate as "sheet-holder", which means it's designed to hold bank notes, credit cards... well, basically, flat and square thingies. This is what I'd call a wallet.

Porte-monnaie means "coins-holder", and it's designed to hold, well... coins, and maybe your keys if they're tiny... but basically a porte-monnaie is often a mess and you can never find anything in it :bleh: This is what I'd call a purse.

That's for the french point of view, which might be relevant to explain Mica's view of the green thing being a wallet because it's square !

Well, yes, I'm extremely bored today... French public transportation is on strike, Paris is a mess, no way to go working... :sleep_1:

But still... I absolutely love the cultural-language issues Mika takes us into !!! :naughty:

I love to add more complication to already complicated stuff, but this translation might after all clarify things.

Portefeuille would literally translate as "sheet-holder", which means it's designed to hold bank notes, credit cards... well, basically, flat and square thingies. This is what I'd call a wallet.

Porte-monnaie means "coins-holder", and it's designed to hold, well... coins, and maybe your keys if they're tiny... but basically a porte-monnaie is often a mess and you can never find anything in it :bleh: This is what I'd call a purse.

That's for the french point of view, which might be relevant to explain Mica's view of the green thing being a wallet because it's square !

Well, yes, I'm extremely bored today... French public transportation is on strike, Paris is a mess, no way to go working... :sleep_1:

But still... I absolutely love the cultural-language issues Mika takes us into !!! :naughty:

We call everything that holds money a portomonee here in the Netherlands :naughty: So to me its a portomonee aka WALLET :thumb_yello:

We call everything that holds money a portomonee here in the Netherlands :naughty: So to me its a portomonee aka WALLET :thumb_yello:

We french people are sooooo complicated !! :blink:

But I can see where the problem comes from : In french, the word "monnaie" means "money" but it also means "change", "small coins"... That's why the "porte-monnaie" in not really a money holder, but more like a "change holder"

We're approaching the solution , I can feel it !! :biggrin2:

this is the classic "my dad's like" portafogli {wallet?} 2000175390030606147_rs.jpg

examples of portamonete {purse?}

uncle's 2000139207073322001_rs.jpg

granny's2000132635549412315_rs.jpg

IT'S MINE!:D2000145862777310930_rs.jpg

the Mika's one is a "modern" thingy..maybe a Pursallet? Or a Wallurse?

In any case it's so comphy with the zip, and yes, squared- shape is like for men:wink2: {plus green is my fav color so the Mikster has choosen the best ^__^}

Aahh love that clip!! :roftl: :roftl:

Can't wait to see the whole dvd!

In Swedish we have one word for wallet/purse, no matter if it's considered male or female; plånbok. I'd say it's def a plånbok! :roftl:

Seriously though, I think I'd call it a wallet. It doesn't really have "nice, manly angles" (whatever the heck that is :roftl:) but it's not superfeminine either. I think it's mostly about people not thinking that guys can have a colourful wallet. If it would've been black or brown I doubt anyone would have a "problem" with it. :thumb_yello:

(btw Cherisse's and Mikey's reactions are priceless! :lmfao:)

we don't really have different words in german (and so far i always thought that wallet and purse were exactly the same)... well, maybe "brieftasche", but that's not so commen. anyway, in the german subtitles they translated it with "man or woman" :naughty:

CHRISTINE!! Are you Londonembers???? How did I not know that???

Love the vid, the little skips, and Mikey Choi saying Dame Edna is what I'm about...I fell off my chair laughing!!

Ouais, c'est moi :biggrin2:

And the Dame Edna line was priceless. I had no idea Mikey was so hilarious. I love him. :wub2:

We don't really have this coin purse/wallet distinction in Canadian English which further adds to the confusion over the purse/bag terminology.

Anything that is small and holds bills and credit cards is called a wallet. People don't often carry purses that only hold coins. If it does happen to hold coins, it is normally a wallet that is designed aesthetically for a woman because a man couldn't fit something that is so bulky in his back pocket.

So we've got men's wallets and women's wallets but it's usually just an aesthetic distinction. Mika could get away with saying it's unisex, but really, a "manly" wallet would be brown or black. It would be automatically assumed that anything that is lime green was designed for use by a woman.

mikapicture32.jpg

purse.jpg

It's the one he's carrying in this picture!

I think that most items like this are unisex these days anyway.

I've used wallets for years as I think womens purses are too bulky.

Oh, and I like to be different!! :mf_rosetinted:

This looks very.. girlie. I mean, like Lindsay Lowham or something. Sorry!