Mika's Personal Life

lollipop_monkey

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of us that actually know Mika and have been spectators here for awhile, although between the few of us I'm the only one that's posted here at all.... and therefore are not in need of speculations about anything .... can see that this thread as much as it seems to serve as a much needed release to some steam, does nothing more than to continue useless speculation about a subject that Mika has deliberately chosen not to discuss in the public domain....

...this speculation does nothing more than to serve idle curiousity and in this way is not any different from any common tabloids with their so called hired "experts"...

But go ahead and ask him for a hug next time you see him...:doh:

AAAAAAAAAMEN :mf_rosetinted: (to it all, not only the bold part... but :yay: to the bold part)

Well, yes. I mean, it used to matter to me and I'd get upset or interested or whichever. I've just been away from MFC too long and nothing seems relevant. :bored:

--Jack

No I think that's a very good sign. :thumb_yello:

...this speculation does nothing more than to serve idle curiousity and in this way is not any different from any common tabloids with their so called hired "experts"...

But go ahead and ask him for a hug next time you see him...:doh:

I don't disagree with you but I'm more concerned with the arbitrary censorship issue on MFC which is why I will never agree with an MFC policy that bans discussion of Mika's sexuality.

The rest of us don't "know" Mika in the literal sense but I think most long-time fans know him well enough to genuinely not care. My perception of Mika is part fact and mostly fantasy since there are all kinds of things I don't know about Mika and I'm perfectly content with that. In fact I'd have to say that's my preference since I don't even have a real desire to meet him, muchless peek into his bedroom to see who he's sleeping with.

It would be nice if every person who first noticed Mika's music could leap immediately to that place of not caring but it rarely happens and they're initially curious. I think trying to quash it by censorship is too harsh, especially since the censorship (whether it be through forum rules, peer pressure or self censorship brought on by all the guilt-trips surrounding these discussions) seems to be spilling into areas that affect us all like the discussion of his lyrics.

I think it's better to address the topic when it arises so that newbies get an understanding of why we really don't care instead of bullying them with I DON'T CARE and shutting down the thread. I know it's easier to just lock it before it gets out of hand, but that's just lazy IMO. I'm not picking on the mods here, I think it's all our jobs to help steer these threads in the right direction.

I don't disagree with you but I'm more concerned with the arbitrary censorship issue on MFC which is why I will never agree with an MFC policy that bans discussion of Mika's sexuality.

The rest of us don't "know" Mika in the literal sense but I think most long-time fans know him well enough to genuinely not care. My perception of Mika is part fact and mostly fantasy since there are all kinds of things I don't know about Mika and I'm perfectly content with that. In fact I'd have to say that's my preference since I don't even have a real desire to meet him, muchless peek into his bedroom to see who he's sleeping with.

It would be nice if every person who first noticed Mika's music could leap immediately to that place of not caring but it rarely happens and they're initially curious. I think trying to quash it by censorship is too harsh, especially since the censorship (whether it be through forum rules, peer pressure or self censorship brought on by all the guilt-trips surrounding these discussions) seems to be spilling into areas that affect us all like the discussion of his lyrics.

I think it's better to address the topic when it arises so that newbies get an understanding of why we really don't care instead of bullying them with I DON'T CARE and shutting down the thread. I know it's easier to just lock it before it gets out of hand, but that's just lazy IMO. I'm not picking on the mods here, I think it's all our jobs to help steer these threads in the right direction.

Well said :thumb_yello:

the question that is in my mind since the beginning of all this fuss (censorship, thousands pages threads, ...) about gay/not gay is :

why oh why is it so interesting ? for people (new AND not new) to ask the question over and over, there must be something interesting in it that i'm totally missing :blink::boxed: i personally never wondered spontaneously to the point of making such discussions with anybody without being invited to... and even being invited to and participating in such discussions, i was quite quickly bored with the so-called discussions...

this is the real question in my mind...

anyway... have fun speculating about the answer ! :biggrin2:

the question that is in my mind since the beginning of all this fuss (censorship, thousands pages threads, ...) about gay/not gay is :

why oh why is it so interesting ? for people (new AND not new) to ask the question over and over, there must be something interesting in it that i'm totally missing :blink::boxed: i personally never wondered spontaneously to the point of making such discussions with anybody without being invited to... and even being invited to and participating in such discussions, i was quite quickly bored with the so-called discussions...

this is the real question in my mind...

anyway... have fun speculating about the answer ! :biggrin2:

An answer to the 'Is Mika Gay?' question, or an answer to

"Why Yoppa personally never wondered spontaneously to the point of making such discussions with anybody without being invited to... and even being invited to and participating in such discussions, was quite quickly bored with the so-called discussions..."?

:boxed:

why oh why is it so interesting ?

I think we need to ask that about the majority of the threads and discussions on the Chat about Mika section. This is the strangest fan forum I've ever seen in that no one seems to be interested in discussing his music! Most forums have a specific board for songs, videos and any other projects.

If we want to take MFC in a new direction and start talking more about his latest single than his body hair, I'm all for it. But I don't understand why it's perfectly acceptable to speculate ad nauseam about all the other irrelevant things we'll never know the answer to, but not this one particular topic. That's why the whole thing smacks of homophobia, whether that's what people intend or not.

I would be much more willing to steer everyone clear of discussion of Mika's sexuality if we're going to take the same approach to all the irrelevant things that crop up here and just focus on Mika's work.

Very good post :thumb_yello:

I agree, largely, and particularly on the subject of discussing Mika's lyrics.

They are part of his work, they are in the public domain, and I think it is perfectly fair and reasonable to be able to discuss interpretations, some of which may be sexuality based.

But don't you think he would have had the same reaction if you'd asked him in March if he was surprised that people were looking at microscopic images of his eyeballs to determine if he wears contacts? That there have been at least half a dozen threads on whether he has a mole, an indentation or a piercing in his left ear? That a thread entitled Mikagasmic Pics is one of the most popular of all time? That there are almost no threads devoted to his songs but one for every body part and patch of hair?

As I said earlier we can't take random comments that Mika made when his career was barely in its infancy and apply it as gospel until the end of time. He probably couldn't fathom at the time how anyone could be that interested in anything about him.

The press wants to pry him for information because they can use it to make money. Fans speculate because they are hopelessly curious about all things Mika from what brand of underwear he buys to who he may fall in love with.

He has been very tolerant and indulgent of his fans and our bizarre overinterest in him and I don't believe for a minute he is offended by discussions of this nature.

I think as most of us would feel, it's only offensive if the comments are borne of homophobia. Not curiosity.

I've been driving my whole life and I wouldn't drive in London either. I think I went to the Earl's Court Tesco from South Kensington once, but that's it. :blink:

Yes you and your taxi are awesome! :wub2:

I owe you dinner for all those entertaining rides around town. Chez Marcelle in February?

Nice route Christine! :wink2:

There are some very nice places along the way. :mf_rosetinted:

Another clue, for me, is in Love Today:

"Hey GIRL why can't you carry on?

Is it cos you're just like your mother?

A little tight, like to tease for fun?

Well you ain't gonna tease no other gonna mae you a LOVER!"

And to anyone who has heard the original outtake version will know that this next verse did not exist, and that Mika said he created these characters, well this is what I say: he could have sung about men if he wanted to. Not about men loving other men, but men finding love in general, like he's singing about women finding love in general in their own way

"Carolina sits on '95

Give her a dollar and she'll make you smile

Hook her, book her, nook her, walk away"

"Girl dresses like a kid for fun

Licks her lips like they're something other

Tries to tell you life has just begun

Now you know she's getting something other than the love from her mother!"

A lot of the songs are about women (well actually, only three, openly)

Lollipop "if she loves you let her go..."

love today (all quotes above)

big girl you are beautiful (self explanatory but we dont know if he means they're just attractive or if he's sexually attracted to them. well actually we know nothing lol)

but ofcourse. Mika hasnt openly stated which way he swings. Openly singing about women? Stuck in the Middle a secretive song which a few people have interpreted to be about his sexuality?

ah, who knows?

There are four charaters in Love Today.....all of them female and the first two are sung about in the first person, ie;

"You're not going to tease no other, (I'm) gonna make you a lover"

"wait til your mama and your papa's gone, (then) shock, shock me"

They paint four different pictures of sexually aware women.

First the uptight girl who gives guys the come on then holds back because she's a tease just like her mother but who's met her match in this guy who's not going to take no for an answer, ie she's asking for trouble.

Second the rampant girl who is all over the guys but this guy is telling her to wait until her parents have gone out then to show him what she's made of.

Third is Carolina the Hooker who just wants the money and will do what you want in return for the right fee.

Lastly is the girl next door, sweetness and light, proclaiming her virtue and virginity but the wway she acts (licks her lips) there's no escaping the fact that she's sexually experienced.

So he identifies four types of girls:

The tease who's really innocent

The sweet girl who's not what she seems

The bad girl who doesn't hold back (even if Jesus does love her!!!)

The girl who's past redemption becuase she charges!

He could have used a mixture of male and female charaters to show the different types of "love" people participate in but he doesn't.

As the demo version has been mentioned I also think the un-used lines are even more telling about his frustrations at being a good boy and holding back.

"I've been wasting so much time, gonna go now and get what's mine, maybe, baby, maybe it'll come today"

I think he is talking about his frustrations and opinions regarding what "good boys" should do and whether he actually wants to be one of them or indeed whether he can wait until love and marriage comes his way! This theory doesn't presume that he's straight but that he is working through what is expected of him by his family, the church and society as a whole.

Who says we don't discuss his music!

I find it all fasinating stuff!! :biggrin2:

Oh, and I've already mentioned my thoughts on Lollipop in my megapost on page 29!!

i totally agree with you, it would b better to tell the truth that we really dont know and mayb steer them in the direction of this thread, which shows that we all have options and you can talk about it here, ask questions etc.

its great that ppl can come here and discuss the things that mayb we have felt since feb we havent been allowed too.

i have written so many posts on mfc that i have never posted because of fear of being criticized, so sometimes i read and dont post at all and thats a shame if a forum makes u feel like that.

I personally think this type of thread is okay and for the most part respectful enough not to be a threat to anyone. And I will have to add that my three favorite posts all came from lollipop_monkey....thank you for those. It does always depress me a bit that when the topic comes up on Mika's sexuality, most people here have only three possibilities....gay, straight, or bi. These three categories seem so limiting and senseless to me, but maybe that's how most of you think about sexuality...I don't know, I can't imagine.....

Pansexuality and Omnisexuality are so different, in my opinion, from Bisexuality. And then there is one of my favorites... PoMoSexuality (Post Modern sexuality), "persons who do not identify with any essentially-defined sexual label, and is used in reference to oneself as a protest against such labels." A personal label for those of us who don't like labels :naughty: Then there is the gender (society) vs the sex (biology) aspect of the whole sexuality piece. If I were to have a discussion of Mika's sexuality and which label to put on his forehead or which box I would stick him in, then I would want to have around 75-100 possible labels to choose from, not the three ones that seem to bore me to death. But since I don't like labels, I doubt I would be interested in that discussion anyway. I would rather have the world always open to endless possibilities, and the contents of all boxes dumped on the floor and mixed around a bit just for the fun of it. But, other than that, I really don't see a problem with the whole "being open to discussion" to those who make a "conscious" decision to do so. Thank you for asking.

Crazy suggestion here, since we're all so keen on discussing Mika's sexuality, we could just as well discuss our own....

:D

I was thinking the same thing before but I didn't want to write a long, berating post about it. There's more to sexuality than just straight or gay or bi, especially when you introduce the concept of the "gender" that one identifies with in addition to "sex" (which itself can be ambiguous in some cases). That makes multiple continuums. And it's not something that stays static throughout the lifetime anyway. Ideally there would be no labels and love would simply be 'love'. But our society is faaar from reaching that point, so the best that one can do is label correctly and try to consider the labels equal in value. One can try to fight labelling (e.g. Mika) but there are always people who box them whether they like it or not.

My hypothesis has always been that for Mika, "Are you gay" isn't a question he can answer with a yes or no response. My (completely unsubstantiated) guess is that his sexual identity is more complex that simply gay or straight.

I have a friend who is openly gay, yet who finds the female form sexually attractive and has had his share of female encounters. If he were a popstar and were to answer a question about his orientation, it certainly wouldn't be a straightforward "yes or no" response. I think people are moving away from the black-or-white-and-nothing-in-between perception of sexuality.

Lilmot I agree....! There are MORE options than just Gay, Straight or Bi!

A whole lot more!

The Gay Thread (i.e. often full of lots of off-topic chat but it's supposed to be a place for gay, bi, straight, transgendered, queer, undecided, ambiguous, all types of people to discuss matters relating to sexuality in a respectful manner).

I love the fact that I come across so many like minded people on a forum about a new curly haired musician that I have become totally smitten with!

I don't think I've ever come across such a large gathering of my fellow thinkers in one place ever.

Oh, and I personally haven't been into the Gay thread as I'm not gay.......could we not rename it the Sexuality thread?? I will pop in now that I know it is a discussion thread of a more general nature!

I've yet to hear a Mika lyric and think "oh, wow, that's deep" that's something I reserve for the likes of Bob Dylan (on the contrary some of Mika's lyrics make me cringe like "I tried to live alone, but lonely is so lonely alone or repetitive fillers like in HDYL or LT). But I have sat down and reread his lyrics from time to time and thought "that's less superficial than I thought it was before". At the moment (i.e. the start of his career) Mika is inconsistent (or just wide-ranging?) in his lyrical depth, there are things which are quite deep (like SITM) then somethings which seem much more superficial.

I don't believe that his lyrics are strictly autobiographical, but some songs more than others reflect his personality (and not only his sexuality). Like the songs discussed in this thread: Billy Brown possibly shows that he's intrigued by the concept of sexual ambiguity, Big Girl possibly shows that he's intrigued by the concept of the underdog and challenging image perceptions, Love Today may mean that he classifies different forms of love equally, Lollipop may show that he's a bit of a protective brother. Some of those are stretches more than others, but it'd be naive to think that his lyrics are completely detached from his life when he claims to write songs to help him digest life, but conversely it's assuming way too much to say that the songs are autobiographical (e.g. Billy Brown or Holy Johnny) and ignores the concept of fiction anyway.

I agree with that -- I'm sure his feelings about things change. And I believe

the quote where he says people have a right to ask about his sexuality is

several months old now, too, so he could have changed his feelings on

that by now as well.

I cringe at that one as well. :blush-anim-cl:

He's said on more than one occasion that he writes about people he

knows, so I'm sure many of his lyrics *aren't* autobiographical. I recall

once when he introduced Holy Johnny he said something to the effect of

that he almost felt sorry for all of his friends, since he was writing songs

about them, but, "tough s**t." :)

IS there a ban on talking about SitM? :blink:

That's news to me...

dcdeb

It's really weird as I love this line!

I think it's a clever use of english grammer and has an illiterative flow to it.

Then you and I can have fascinating discussions on the Freudian theories of Penis Envy and the Oedipus Complex and the patriarchal, sexist, even possibly misogynistic nature of Victorian Psychology. :naughty:

Oh no, you're done for, you've revealed his secret symbol. :shocked: *awaits with abated breath for the thread to be closed down since it's gone against "wishes" that Mika has never stated himself and people only assume that he has without any real evidence at all*

We may be sarcastically joking but there's sadly a grain of truth in the joke, some things really are foundationless overreactions.

I have it sooooooooooo bad! :mf_rosetinted:

Thanks, but I prefer to call it "over-philosophising and being unnecessarily verbose". I'm only a few months younger than you anyway. :naughty:

I don't know if I should explain it here, because like any interpretation it ultimately probably says more about myself than it does about Mika. I will say, though, that part of it is his lyrics (most especially SITM), part of it his imagery in this artwork (some in the DVD artwork in particular), part of it is his personality (both verbal and non-verbal cues), part of it is an understanding of bisexual people and part of it is an understanding of his cultural context (especially his Lebanese heritage). If you want me to elaborate further, hop on MSN.

I don't think that one can take any single statement or example and say "this means that he is so and so", one needs to consider a person's entire social and emotional context to firstly work out the personal significance attached to that statement/example then figure out whether that statement/example has any real implications. Since we have no way of working out his entire contexts, we can never even come close to knowing, but we can have hunches (and I'll add that so far in my life I've been pretty successful at picking out bisexual people and that's not by following stereotypes; but hey, Mika might be the exception and I may be completely off the mark).

There's an intelligence that come with being bi........saying you're gay or straight is such an easily identifiable concept for others to understand but to say that it's a lifestyle choice made after giving serious consideration and thought to the whole concept of sexuality is a hard idea for people to grasp.

I make all sorts of complex and unusual lifestyles choices (that don't relate to my sexuality) that set me apart from the majority....those concerning my sexuality get dealt with in the same way.

I find that people react quite oddly to the fact when they know......and feel that they can question me about it insessantly (again, I've spoken about this before on other threads) in a way they would not do with gay/straight folk.