Best Album of 2007: 'Life in Cartoon Motion'

lollipop_monkey

http://www.insidevandy.com/drupal/node/6129

"Life in Cartoon Motion." Best. Album. Of the year. Ka-ching! Money in the bank for Mika.

Across Europe and America, the British pop sensation has got guys and girls singing along at the top of their lungs (and vocal ranges) to his awesomely fun and ultra-happy songs. Remember happy? Smiling, laughing, silliness? That's all Mika, and trust me, that's what you want. From risque playground rhyming ("Sucking too hard on your lollipop/ Oh love's gonna get you down!") to soft Euro techno, you will find his old-school Queen style and new-school subjects energetic and addictive.

Mika jumps from style to style on virtually every track; there's almost no need to put this CD on shuffle. There are hints of "Killer Queen" in his enormously popular "Grace Kelly," and "Big Girl (You are Beautiful)," his genius knock-off of "Fat Bottomed Girls," is nothing short of the ultimate workout song.

For dancers, "Relax (Take it Easy)" sounds exactly like what you'd hear in an underground European techno club; it's got a mysterious and catchy melody, a building and unbeatable tempo, and his trademark high-as-hell falsetto. This song just makes you deliriously happy - let go, take it easy! There's meaningful, personal Elton John-like influences in "Any Other World" followed immediately by the deliciously flamboyant song "Billy Brown," about a man who has a homosexual affair. Throw in some piano and Vaudeville and you've got yourself the quintessential eclectic album of the year.

I mean, I could mention "Love Today" is nominated for a Grammy for best dance recording, but why try and label this cotton candy, kaleidoscopic, rainbow-bright, fluff-on-steroids album mainstream? At the very least, it tops these other attempts at Best Album of 2007 according to Versus; don't get me wrong, they're also worthy of praise and awards. Like, "Angstiest Album of the Year," "Most Influenced by Non-Prescription Drugs," and "I've Never Heard of This Album in My Life."

For a jolt of energy that is almost as rich in antidepressants as a triple-shot of espresso, pick up "Life in Cartoon Motion" today. Hey, at least those crazy Europeans are doing something right. It's fabulous! If you're rolling your eyes at the sight of this review, all I can recommend for you is to stop pretending you're deeper than you are (because you're not) and give happy a chance. Happy! Oh my gosh, an overdose of happiness! Give me more! More, I say!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...crazy europeans... :boxed::cool:

well heyn these crazy Europeans know how to make songs!

What an awesome review! It has taken some time for some to understand of what Mika is made, and how unbelievabely talented he is, but hey, better late than never!:punk:

"Life in Cartoon Motion." Best. Album. Of the year. Ka-ching! Money in the bank for Mika.

Across Europe and America, the British pop sensation has got guys and girls singing along at the top of their lungs (and vocal ranges) to his awesomely fun and ultra-happy songs. Remember happy? Smiling, laughing, silliness? That's all Mika, and trust me, that's what you want. From risque playground rhyming ("Sucking too hard on your lollipop/ Oh love's gonna get you down!") to soft Euro techno, you will find his old-school Queen style and new-school subjects energetic and addictive.

Mika jumps from style to style on virtually every track; there's almost no need to put this CD on shuffle. There are hints of "Killer Queen" in his enormously popular "Grace Kelly," and "Big Girl (You are Beautiful)," his genius knock-off of "Fat Bottomed Girls," is nothing short of the ultimate workout song.

For dancers, "Relax (Take it Easy)" sounds exactly like what you'd hear in an underground European techno club; it's got a mysterious and catchy melody, a building and unbeatable tempo, and his trademark high-as-hell falsetto. This song just makes you deliriously happy - let go, take it easy! There's meaningful, personal Elton John-like influences in "Any Other World" followed immediately by the deliciously flamboyant song "Billy Brown," about a man who has a homosexual affair. Throw in some piano and Vaudeville and you've got yourself the quintessential eclectic album of the year.

I mean, I could mention "Love Today" is nominated for a Grammy for best dance recording, but why try and label this cotton candy, kaleidoscopic, rainbow-bright, fluff-on-steroids album mainstream? At the very least, it tops these other attempts at Best Album of 2007 according to Versus; don't get me wrong, they're also worthy of praise and awards. Like, "Angstiest Album of the Year," "Most Influenced by Non-Prescription Drugs," and "I've Never Heard of This Album in My Life."

For a jolt of energy that is almost as rich in antidepressants as a triple-shot of espresso, pick up "Life in Cartoon Motion" today. Hey, at least those crazy Europeans are doing something right. It's fabulous! If you're rolling your eyes at the sight of this review, all I can recommend for you is to stop pretending you're deeper than you are (because you're not) and give happy a chance. Happy! Oh my gosh, an overdose of happiness! Give me more! More, I say!

Vanderbilt University students{:blink:}you are very smart! :punk:

Who is the person who wrote this! Cos I wanna say thank you!!

Bless their heart, what a wonderful review. It's brought tears to my eyes.

Love today, from Marilyn

Just realized this is written from a student at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee (USA)....makes sense now. :naughty:

Bekka is from TN and she loves this album. :thumb_yello:

stop pretending you're deeper than you are (because you're not) and give happy a chance.

This is pretty much what Mika has been saying when he so shamelessly touts himself as a pop artist. That's why I don't care when people have negative things to say about his music. Just makes them look like pretentious idiots who are about a decade behind the times.

All that angsty whining that is so popular in North America is so '90s.

ATTENTION NORTH AMERICA AND CANADA.

HERE IS A WARNING OF A HURRICANE, OF INFINITESIMAL FORCE, WHICH WILL BE SWEEPING NORTH AMERICA AND CANADA WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS.YOU CAN TAKE SHELTER, BUT IT'S DOUBTFUL YOU WILL ESCAPE THE UNSTOPPABLE FORCE OF...

HURRICANE MIKA

AND ONCE THE HURRICANE HAS SUBSIDED, THE CONTINENT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN

BE WARNED, THE MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN, IS ON IT'S WAY!!

Love today from Marilyn

ATTENTION NORTH AMERICA AND CANADA HERE IS A WARNING OF A HURRICANE, OF INFINITESIMAL FORCE, WHICH WILL BE SWEEPING NORTH AMERICA AND CANADA WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS

Dude, that hurricane arrived last Spring. It's just picked up speed in the waters off the coast of England.