Mika flashbacks, and other midweek notes ...

dcdeb

Interesting follow-up blog in the LA Times...

Buzz Bands: Kevin Bronson on the music scene in Los Angeles and beyond

mika1.jpg

mika2.jpg

Color me disappointed in having missed the Mika spectacular Monday at the Wiltern. Yes, I fall distinctly on the "hater" side of this Europop phenomenon -- his cringe-worthy exuberance reminds me of every girl in my high school who ran for class president. He seems to acknowledge and even play to his detractors too, as Mikael Wood's excellent review of the show pointed out.

But more than one faithful Buzz Bands correspondent who attended found it as entertaining for the audience dynamic as the wildly choreographed stage show. Here was the reaction of the pal who sent the above photos:

"The crowd would have followed him off a cliff if he asked them to. There were three O.C.-type college girls with homemade "I" "Heart" and "Mika" on their T-shirts, and they always walked around in order, so they would read "I Heart Mika." I was floored by the number of straight guys in the audience -- guys who did not come with girls. Not hipster metro straight, but baggy jeans, sweater, baseball cap and glasses straight. The performance was totally solid, completely charming, with tons of energy -- even with the multiple extended intros to songs while the set changed. There was a puppet, snow, a giant inflatable doll, plush costumes, costume changes, characters, dancers -- if Peaches got a lobotomy, tons of money and was forced to watch children’s programming all day, this show would be the result."

So take that, haters.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/buzzbands/2008/02/emptying-the-no.html

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting... Very interesting...

Well, he may hate Mika, and that's his right. But at least he acknowledges that so many people love Mika. The part that made me laugh, was the bit where he's amazed that straight guys love him!!

Course they do! They love his music!!!

I don't know what others think, but I think this review is yet another triumph for Mika!

The crowd would have followed him off a cliff if he asked them to.

My friend made exactly the same observation. She wasn't a Mika fan - only liked Grace Kelly - so I gave her a pair of tickets to take a friend while I hung out with MFCers in the queue and in the front row.

She said later that it's a good thing that Mika is only interested in getting people to sing along to feel good songs and not leading a jihad or asking them to meet Jesus in a spaceship because he's got this incredibly rare allure and could get people to do whatever he wants.

It's taken me a year to get her into Mika properly but after seeing him with her own eyes she's finally a believer. :biggrin2:

My friend made exactly the same observation. She wasn't a Mika fan - only liked Grace Kelly - so I gave her a pair of tickets to take a friend while I hung out with MFCers in the queue and in the front row.

She said later that it's a good thing that Mika is only interested in getting people to sing along to feel good songs and not leading a jihad or asking them to meet Jesus in a spaceship because he's got this incredibly rare allure and could get people to do whatever he wants.

It's taken me a year to get her into Mika properly but after seeing him with her own eyes she's finally a believer. :biggrin2:

yaaaay!! there's just something really magnetic about it. god knows how he repelled people all those years back....weirdos.

Hahaha...

Mica when he was about 9...

Mica: Guys! Follow me to this place where happiness and rainbows will never fade!! *runs off giddy like, arms flailing in the air towards the sunset*

Classmates: :blink:

Mika as he is now...

Mika: Guys! Follow me to this place where happiness and rainbows will never fade!! *runs off giddy like, arms flailing in the air towards the sunset with confetti, balloons, streamers, big girl/lollipop girl/billy brown*

Fans: OMG/YAY/MIKA MIKA MIKA/WOOOOO/LET'S GO

Uber fan: LET ME GET FIRST ROW!

"The crowd would have followed him off a cliff if he asked them to."

So so true. He could totally get me to follow him into a spaceship and drink jesus juice.

:roftl: :roftl:

hahha omygod, that was funny. And I supose loads of people would follow him off a cliff indeed.

Did anyone notice Cherisse shaved her head and is a male now? *looks at the photo again..*:shocked:

EDIT; Oh wait, right, this is the drumming part where they battle. I'm so blonde

Mica: Guys! Follow me to this place where happiness and rainbows will never fade!! *runs off giddy like, arms flailing in the air towards the sunset*

I can see this sooooo clearly! Great image! lol

HAHAH!!! Someone (CazGirl) owes me some window cleaner, because I just spit my tea all over!!! HAHAH!!! Get over here Girl!

Yes I can sooo see this!!

ROFL :roftl: :roftl:

wow, i cant believe how funny i am xDDD

It's called CHARISMA, it's called VIVACIOUSNESS, it's called THE X FACTOR!!!

Sorry Simon, but facts are facts, and Mika is Mika!!!!!

yaaaay!! there's just something really magnetic about it. god knows how he repelled people all those years back....weirdos.

Hahaha...

Mika as he is now...

Mika: Guys! Follow me to this place where happiness and rainbows will never fade!! *runs off giddy like, arms flailing in the air towards the sunset with confetti, balloons, streamers, big girl/lollipop girl/billy brown*

:lmfao: :lmfao:

Oh my god...that's me...:naughty:

Hahaha...

Mika as he is now...

:lmao: ROFLBFAO!!! that is hilarious. ITS MEE who has been spying on me :lmao:

:wub2::hypo::mf_lustslow:

Mika as he is now...

:lmao::roftl::lol3::lmfao: