The BRIT awards 2008 PART 2 (London, Earl's Court): 20-02-2008

dcdeb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there and welcome!

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there- the opening wasn't as spectacular as we KNOW it could have been and was because he was suffering with bronchitis.

I loved the scenery and backdrop though…I think he’s great but this wasn’t his best- Sorry!!

There were obvious Mishaps: being off-key, shortening notes sometimes not even hitting them and losing his breath etc.

The duet with Beth Ditto was a mistake.

I do think he should have had the band members on stage with him; he would have looked less awkward on stage and he could have interacted with them instead of the (BRIT School) audience.

You may have a point there; we know Mika is in the business because he wants to write songs and perform. But losing out on an award (awarded by the music industry), when you know you pretty much deserved it- is a disappointment if nothing else. Obviously we won't know the extent of that disappoinment, and are perhaps projecting our own onto the situation- I know I am! Having said that, the look on Mika's face, when Mark Ronson was announced as the winner of Best Male is unmistakenly- gutted. IMO.

Of course he wants attention and to be recognised! He wouldn't be touring like there's no tomorrow and risking his health to do it, if all he wanted to do was write and sing songs. If Mika didn't really care about the awards he wouldn't turn up to accept them.

I agree with the highlighted parts here cos even as I watched it for the 1st time I noticed the differences in his performance to what I have seen live etc.

However it didn't spoil MY enjoyment of it and I was still PROUD as punch he was the opening act and did as well as he did do with bronchitis and on antibiotics, oh and nervous as hell to boot.

I enjoyed his performance, but I've gotten so used to the all the concert youtube footage with him bouncing around and he just wasn't!...until near the end of Grace Kelly, when he started jumping on the spot and I thought "Ah, this is the Mika I'm used to seeing!" I know it was the opening of the Brits and not one of his own gigs, it was just so different to see.

And it made so much more sense when I knew he had bronchitis because the shortness of breath was the thing that was most apparent to me and he's been jumping around on tour for an hour and a half most nights for the last 3 weeks/month so it's not like he's unfit and not used to it. The notes that weren't quite hit spot on etc, well, they can happen any time you sing live, even when you are quite well. As I said, it was the shortness of breath that got me (I keep wanting to shorten it to SOB like in my nursing days, but that either makes it look like I'm talking about him crying or that I'm saying something awful about his mother!)

I'm really annoyed about them removing Babs and Christine's accounts too. i agree with Deb that we probably do break a lot of the rules here, but it doesn't stop me being annoyed lol! I still haven't seen him accepting the award, or the cutaway to him when that mark person got best male.

Oh, and zshare isn't working for me today. yesterday i had probs with youtube, today it's zshare! And we're moving house really soon and i'll be without access to all of you right at the critical moments (ie the London gigs!) *curses the internet* *runs back and kisses the internet's bum cos she wouldn't have found Mika without it*

:shocked::blink::thumbdown: I can't believe they suspended Babs and Christine's youtube accounts! :shocked: I know strictly it's against T&Cs but you never think it's going to be enforced do you.

About Mika being disappointed: of course he was, and the picture of his face when they announced Mark Ronson is burned onto my brain forever..he was gutted, there was absolutely no mistaking that expression.

He may try to come across that he doesn't give a damn about always being the outsider, but I'm not convinced. Everyone needs to feel acknowledged and accepted. Even if deep down Mika knows these awards aren't really all that important, his reaction when winning - the totally primal screech - proves he was relieved to have got some acknowledgment.

Anyway we (and Mika) can console ourselves with the knowledge that just about everyone I've spoken to/everything I've read since Wednesday night re: the Brits also reckons Mika was robbed of Best Male. I actually feel a bit sorry for Mark Ronson in a funny kind of way! He definitely knows something wasn't right with the whole thing...he even looked faintly embarassed going up to receive the award, bless him (I like him, why isn't there a Best Producer Award???).

I've uploaded HQ videos of his performance and of when he won to zShare.

They're very good quality ;)

Performance:

http://www.zshare.net/video/79615759825084/

Winning British Breakthrough Act:

http://www.zshare.net/video/79617206d1785e/

Thank you so much, Valelia, for the download links! They both worked for me, so at least I have these even if YouTube is being stupid.

Hey there and welcome!

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there- the opening wasn't as spectacular as we KNOW it could have been and was because he was suffering with bronchitis.

I loved the scenery and backdrop though…I think he’s great but this wasn’t his best- Sorry!!

There were obvious Mishaps: being off-key, shortening notes sometimes not even hitting them and losing his breath etc.

The duet with Beth Ditto was a mistake.

I do think he should have had the band members on stage with him; he would have looked less awkward on stage and he could have interacted with them instead of the (BRIT School) audience.

You may have a point there; we know Mika is in the business because he wants to write songs and perform. But losing out on an award (awarded by the music industry), when you know you pretty much deserved it- is a disappointment if nothing else. Obviously we won't know the extent of that disappoinment, and are perhaps projecting our own onto the situation- I know I am! Having said that, the look on Mika's face, when Mark Ronson was announced as the winner of Best Male is unmistakenly- gutted. IMO.

Of course he wants attention and to be recognised! He wouldn't be touring like there's no tomorrow and risking his health to do it, if all he wanted to do was write and sing songs.

If Mika didn't really care about the awards he wouldn't turn up to accept them.

I really agree with the highlighted bits, I would have written exactly the same. He seemed strange and uncomfortable on stage, and even missed the notes at some points...Not that it was BAD as such, but he usually does it much better. That's the point...

And yes, to me the duet with Beth was (again!!!) a bad idea. I just don't think she's great in the first place,so singing with him is not my first choice:thumbdown: .

On a positive note though, I did like the song they did, which I'd never actually heard, just heard of it. Shame it's her song:roftl:.

I don't understand what you say about the band though, they were there,and for once I think that Mika was acting as what he is: a one-man act.:wink2:

someone was wanting the vid of when Mark Ronson won best male (poor Mika I just soo want ot hug him when I see his little face), I some how taped over that bit on MY vid but I found this one on utube, its at about 1.50 ish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVCtB6v8fXk

get it quick before they take it off, I did :naughty:

I don't think he looks gutted like everyone says :bleh: I showed my sisters and mom and I just asked what emotion this looked like :naughty: and they said he looks bored.

I really agree with the highlighted bits, I would have written exactly the same. He seemed strange and uncomfortable on stage, and even missed the notes at some points...Not that it was BAD as such, but he usually does it much better. That's the point...

And yes, to me the duet with Beth was (again!!!) a bad idea. I just don't think she's great in the first place,so singing with him is not my first choice:thumbdown: .

On a positive note though, I did like the song they did, which I'd never actually heard, just heard of it. Shame it's her song:roftl:.

I don't understand what you say about the band though, they were there,and for once I think that Mika was acting as what he is: a one-man act.:wink2:

When you have bronchitis you usually don't get all the notes :bleh: and when you're opening for the Brit Awards and you start off I would imagine Mika was VERY nervous and just didn't feel like jumping around everywhere.

I think that Beth Ditto coming out was AWESOME!!! I absolutely LOVED IT!!!! :wub2: I'm really glad they chose her!

When you have bronchitis you usually don't get all the notes :bleh: and when you're opening for the Brit Awards and you start off I would imagine Mika was VERY nervous and just didn't feel like jumping around everywhere.

I think that Beth Ditto coming out was AWESOME!!! I absolutely LOVED IT!!!! :wub2: I'm really glad they chose her!

I loved the Beth Ditto part too:punk:

I don't think he looks gutted like everyone says :bleh: I showed my sisters and mom and I just asked what emotion this looked like :naughty: and they said he looks bored.

I think he looks confused - "but he is a producer......." kind

of look!!!! :roftl:

I loved the Beth Ditto part too:punk:

I was all excited when he started knocking on the door :roftl: I was like OH! and then Beth came out and I was like WOOO :yay: and they went right into Standing in the Way of Control and I was like coooool :cool:

That's what I thought :lmfao:

Yes there is a bit of that in his look...but to me it comes across as an attempt to cover up his disappointment, by looking 'confused' rather than downright miffed and wronged!

I cannot believe I am sitting here at 1.10am analysing a three second long Mika facial expression. Sometimes I do wonder if I'm still sane :naughty::blink:

:mf_rosetinted:

Awh the look on his face...we all know he should have won Best Male. But I'm confident that as his career continues to shine, he will get the acknowledgment he so deserves. And in the meantime, he knows he has us!! :wub2:

I thought his performance was fantastic: colourful, energetic, happy, .... And with bronchitis...who else in the world can look that happy (and beautiful!) when they're ill?

Yes there is a bit of that in his look...but to me it comes across as an attempt to cover up his disappointment, by looking 'confused' rather than downright miffed and wronged!

I cannot believe I am sitting here at 1.10am analysing a three second long Mika facial expression. Sometimes I do wonder if I'm still sane :naughty::blink:

We aren't sane. :mf_rosetinted:

And who cares? :naughty:

you didn't look close enough, his mouth is trying to smile and if you pause it you can see the look in his eyes, as if he would be bored at THAy very moment I don't think so.

same here, I have so much to do and so little time to do it as I am leaving for london on Sunday :shocked:

Awh the look on his face...we all know he should have won Best Male. But I'm confident that as his career continues to shine, he will get the acknowledgment he so deserves. And in the meantime, he knows he has us!! :wub2:

I thought his performance was fantastic: colourful, energetic, happy, .... And with bronchitis...who else in the world can look that happy (and beautiful!) when they're ill?

I totally loved his acceptance speech, he was soo excited about it, the others were all too cool to show they were pleased to get an award, I guess that is what comes from always being shunned by the "in" crowd. It shows he is a much nicer person than any of that lot who just come across as having their heads too far up their own jacksies.

I totally loved his acceptance speech, he was soo excited about it, the others were all too cool to show they were pleased to get an award, I guess that is what comes from always being shunned by the "in" crowd. It shows he is a much nicer person than any of that lot who just come across as having their heads too far up their own jacksies.

Yeah you're right, it was so cool to see his sweet face so excited!! To be honest I thought it all really went downhill towards the end when the Arctic Monkeys got best album, and they were drunk and Sharon was drunk and the other presenter for the award was drunk....I mean I'm all up for drinks and fun but they were all just out of it...they didn't even know what was going on. It all looked a bit pathetic... I hope that consoled Mika a little bit!

you didn't look close enough, his mouth is trying to smile and if you pause it you can see the look in his eyes, as if he would be bored at THAy very moment I don't think so.

I don't press my face against the screen if that's what you do :lmfao: I guess I just don't look into his eyes often enough, but he didn't seem that sad :roftl:

I haven't seen anybody's comment about this yet, but did anyone notice the really cute Mika pop up in the neon lights at the Brits..???....a la avoca's pic (see on the left?)

36-1.jpg

omigoodness! i noticed that when it played in the us yesterday. i want one in my room!