Utter humiliation.

pica_mica

Heya!

Last Thursday, it was the school's annual concert and I was supposed to be playing Stuck in the middle on my keyboard and singing it as well. I was sooooo excited about being on stage, sitting at my keyboard, facing the audience and playing one of Mika's songs because its what he does 99% of his time now, so it was nice to be in his shoes for a while.

The main reason I wanted to do it is because I'm planning to be a musician myself and so, I had to see what it felt like to play live.

Anyways...it was all excitement for me until Wednesday arrived, which was the dress rehearsals day. I arrived at school, carrying my huge and heavy keyboard, my knees about to give away. Fast forward to the beginning of the rehearsals. I sat amongst the rest of the students, while watching each performance, one by one. I realised that the rehearsals were nearly over, and I still wasn't called to play my bit. So I walked over to the presenters, and they said my name wasn't there on my list to begin with. They said the school didn't think I was actually serious and was actually gonna get my keyboard and perform.:boxed: (Even though I already got my keyboard and performed 2 weeks earlier, just to get the school's approval, which I did).

So I was furious, and walked over to one of the teachers in charge. I asked her why I was cancelled off, and she said because they have to put a table, a chair and a microphone stand for me, which is a waste of time and I was considered totally not worth it. So I ran off to the Deputy headmistress and complained to her, told her that I didnt come halfway accross the city and carry my extremely heavy keyboard for nothing. So she told me to go up and perform, very reluctantly might I add.

So I went up and performed...and all hell broke loose.

First of all, I wanna assure you all that if I didnt have a good voice and talent, I wouldnt get up and embarrass myself. So I started to play, and from the very first key I hit, everyone started laughing. I ignored all the laughter and finished the song, with no mistakes whatsoever. The laughter carried on throughout the whole song, and after I finished it as well. They were laughing at the lyrics, they told me.

I said :"I'd like to see you come up here and play the keyboard and sing as well, if you think you can do it better. Heck, I'd like to pick out any other self-taught pianist like myself."

Everyone kept quiet. I guess I was the only self-taught pianist, let alone a pianist who read music and had lessons.

I didnt turn up for the concert, as I figured out that the school was clearly not worth it.

How terrible, eh?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in such disbelief...

and then as I was on my way to the bus to go home, some girls told me: "ooooh..we're gonna put you on youtube so the whole world can see what a fool you are" (they recorded me playing)

and someone else said: "oh booohoooo..did you cry after everyone laughed at you?"

Jeers from every corner..

I was in such disbelief...

and then as I was on my way to the bus to go home, some girls told me: "ooooh..we're gonna put you on youtube so the whole world can see what a fool you are" (they recorded me playing)

and someone else said: "oh booohoooo..did you cry after everyone laughed at you?"

Jeers from every corner..

well if they do post u on youtube u should post the link here and then everyone on the mfc will leave great comments!:wink2: and we will show your a**hole school where they should go!:naughty:

well if they do post u on youtube u should post the link here and then everyone on the mfc will leave great comments!:wink2: and we will show your a**hole school where they should go!:naughty:

Hawww...:blush-anim-cl:

Thanks a bunch, guys..I knew I could count on you!:blush-anim-cl:

Hawww...:blush-anim-cl:

Thanks a bunch, guys..I knew I could count on you!:blush-anim-cl:

no problemo!:wink2: the mfc is one big happy family! i always know i can come here to escape reality and someone will always be here when i am upset:wink2: like for example lately my parents have been getting into loads of fights now almost once a week and it is really upsetting me:thumbdown:

thats just horrible! that was really brave of you to carry on with the song even though people were laughing. its great how you can play one of mika's songs and sing it, so don't get put down by those people who laughed.. i support you as a fellow self-taught pianist as well! :)

Heya!

Last Thursday, it was the school's annual concert and I was supposed to be playing Stuck in the middle on my keyboard and singing it as well. I was sooooo excited about being on stage, sitting at my keyboard, facing the audience and playing one of Mika's songs because its what he does 99% of his time now, so it was nice to be in his shoes for a while.

The main reason I wanted to do it is because I'm planning to be a musician myself and so, I had to see what it felt like to play live.

Anyways...it was all excitement for me until Wednesday arrived, which was the dress rehearsals day. I arrived at school, carrying my huge and heavy keyboard, my knees about to give away. Fast forward to the beginning of the rehearsals. I sat amongst the rest of the students, while watching each performance, one by one. I realised that the rehearsals were nearly over, and I still wasn't called to play my bit. So I walked over to the presenters, and they said my name wasn't there on my list to begin with. They said the school didn't think I was actually serious and was actually gonna get my keyboard and perform.:boxed: (Even though I already got my keyboard and performed 2 weeks earlier, just to get the school's approval, which I did).

So I was furious, and walked over to one of the teachers in charge. I asked her why I was cancelled off, and she said because they have to put a table, a chair and a microphone stand for me, which is a waste of time and I was considered totally not worth it. So I ran off to the Deputy headmistress and complained to her, told her that I didnt come halfway accross the city and carry my extremely heavy keyboard for nothing. So she told me to go up and perform, very reluctantly might I add.

So I went up and performed...and all hell broke loose.

First of all, I wanna assure you all that if I didnt have a good voice and talent, I wouldnt get up and embarrass myself. So I started to play, and from the very first key I hit, everyone started laughing. I ignored all the laughter and finished the song, with no mistakes whatsoever. The laughter carried on throughout the whole song, and after I finished it as well. They were laughing at the lyrics, they told me.

I said :"I'd like to see you come up here and play the keyboard and sing as well, if you think you can do it better. Heck, I'd like to pick out any other self-taught pianist like myself."

Everyone kept quiet. I guess I was the only self-taught pianist, let alone a pianist who read music and had lessons.

I didnt turn up for the concert, as I figured out that the school was clearly not worth it.

How terrible, eh?

:roftl: i dont no if your a good singer/musician but you sure r a great storyteller... just one thing, do you mean they laughed at the lyrics of STIM?? there is nothing funny about those lyrics... i dont understand:shocked:

I was listening to SITM at school and some of my friends in the year above me were laughing at the lyrics too. :boxed:

I kinda had a different version of that happen to me. Let me tell you:

At the end of our last year at primary school we all put on a concert. I was really excited about the whole thing. I was also playing the keyboard and singing too. I was lucky because I had a full sized keyboard and one that was a little smaller, I took the smaller one but it was still huge and had to drag it into the school for 4 weeks to keep up with the rehearsals. I noticed that nearly all the time they missed me off the list for no reason. I was really upset about this and being the typical shy person I am didn't say anything. We had the last rehearsal and I got to finally play in a rehearsal. And then my teacher who hated me came marching up to me. " Oh... your keyboards to much of a hassle to bring onto the stage, We'll put you at the back on the stairs okay? " And then ran off before I could say anything.

So... Well... My mum was furious about this. That was quite funny but yes... :roftl: So she marched into school the next morning to complain. I was stood outside but I could hear them. Basically my teacher was saying bringing my keyboard onto the stage was a heath and safety issue :shocked: So my mum was like... since when?... And then silence.... " Don't shout at me!"

So I got shoved to the back of the stage for the school perfomance and then snuck onto stage for the reletives performance before she could stop me :naughty:

Which I got killed for the next day :boxed:

i think you said it well but what teachers think to pupils are very different well done though i think you are very brave in singing and playing to a audience that laughs at you and you did it perfect

WELL DONE

True! Well done for still doing it ^__^

Ooh also I started by self teaching myself, but I have lessons now... with this woman who keeps on canceling... :thumbdown:

I was listening to SITM at school and some of my friends in the year above me were laughing at the lyrics too. :boxed:

wtf?? r u all being serious?? can anyone xplain me what's SO funny about them?? i dont remember mika barking or meowing at the end of the studio version or anything.

lol@your story

wtf?? r u all being serious?? can anyone xplain me what's SO funny about them?? i dont remember mika barking or meowing at the end of the studio version or anything.

lol@your story

:roftl: I think it's the day your gonna die bit at the beggining :blink: I don't see why it's funny but I act older than I am so I guess i'm not so immature...:blink: