Second Album Predictions

Fmbm

You also wouldn't catch Rufus Wainwright in a chicken suit fondling an inflatable Big Girl's inflatable boobies. :naughty:

Touche. :bleh:

I'm seeing a release date that's a little more than a year from today, but with a lead single released around October or November.

If he hasn't started laying down tracks I don't expect it any earlier than that either.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly i hope he doesn't read this thread because then he'll create the album entirely out of his own perspective and ideas.. i hated how j.k.rowling actually wrote the last part of book 7 with inspiration from fanfics, because the last part was just really cheesy and lousy.

but whatever the second album's going to be like, i can't wait for it!!!!!!:biggrin2: :biggrin2:

I think the 2nd album will in fact not be an album..

There will be an entire track with no words, left only to the imagination of adoring fans, critics and wanabe lovers to fill in the blanks..

:thumbdown:

Toy theatres will fall from the sky at half point..

There will be a scratch and sniff section.. brilliant I know..

:thumb_yello:

Mika, YOU OWE ME! :biggrin2::wink2:

Come on, they're meaningless filler phrases that lack any form of creativity.

These meaningless phrases (doom da da di da di doom et al) are a specific form of hook line (I can't remember the exact term), a common device employed by 'clever' pop song writers to force a tune to stick in your brain and to enable you to instantly identify the song. As Mika is so keen that his songs are classic pop and 'sticky' (why do I hate that word? :blink: ) I don't think he is going to stop using this device anytime soon!

Anyway, some of the greatest/most successful pop writers have embellished their songs with da di dai doo type stuff...or should that be obla di obla da, dooby dooby doo, oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh i-o, na na na na nah, na na na na (prizes to those who can identify these meaningless hooklines :wink2: )

These meaningless phrases (doom da da di da di doom et al) are a specific form of hook line (I can't remember the exact term), a common device employed by 'clever' pop song writers to force a tune to stick in your brain and to enable you to instantly identify the song. As Mika is so keen that his songs are classic pop and 'sticky' (why do I hate that word? :blink: ) I don't think he is going to stop using this device anytime soon!

Anyway, some of the greatest/most successful pop writers have embellished their songs with da di dai doo type stuff...or should that be obla di obla da, dooby dooby doo, oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh i-o, na na na na nah, na na na na (prizes to those who can identify these meaningless hooklines :wink2: )

I know it's a catchy hook device, I just don't think it's a particularly clever one. My guesses: The Beatles "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" and "Hey Jude", heck even Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". That's why I've never been a fan of those parts of those songs, I find it annoying and a poor substitute for lyrics. That's just my opinion.

Dooby dooby doo, Strangers in the night. Am I right?

I think the idea of the toy house would be an excellent backdrop for the shows.

I like the filler hook lines, like it's been mentioned, they are good ways of instantly identifying a song, which can't be bad surely.

I know it's a catchy hook device, I just don't think it's a particularly clever one. My guesses: The Beatles "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" and "Hey Jude", heck even Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". That's why I've never been a fan of those parts of those songs, I find it annoying and a poor substitute for lyrics. That's just my opinion.

Actually I agree with you, in most cases. I really don't like that Kylie song (I must be the only person in the known Universe who DOESN'T like that song...??) but strangely, when Mika does it, I don't find it as annoying..I don't think he overdoes it. And I hope it stays that way.

Mika may not be nor will he ever be a lyrical genius but he has a great way of phrasing and enunciating his lyrics (in my opinion) and I would sooner hear words than too much na ni na na.

Actually I agree with you, in most cases. I really don't like that Kylie song (I must be the only person in the known Universe who DOESN'T like that song...??) but strangely, when Mika does it, I don't find it as annoying..I don't think he overdoes it. And I hope it stays that way.

Mika may not be nor will he ever be a lyrical genius but he has a great way of phrasing and enunciating his lyrics (in my opinion) and I would sooner hear words than too much na ni na na.

No, you're not the only one who doesn't like that Kylie song. (Can people get arrested in Australia for saying that? :naughty:)

Don't get me wrong: Mika's lyrics are excellent, some are even brilliant. He's no Rufus Wainwright or Lennon-McCartney yet but I'd gamble that one day he will be (once he throws out his Erase/Your Sympathy-style thinking cap out). That's why I'd rather hear more of his lyrics than annoying repetitive fillers. But if even the Beatles threw in a repetitive filler occasionally then I can live with one or two HMDYLM-like tracks on the next album (but for the sake of my sanity please no more than that :bleh:).

But like I've said: it's just my opinion. Everyone, including Mika, can completely disagree with me. I'd hazard to guess that a good portion of the 5 million other people who thought his first CD catchy enough to buy disagree with me.

-I see more artwork (there better be artwork or I will not be a happy bunny :mf_rosetinted: )

-More slow/mellow songs but also catchy, upbeat ones too

I think it'll be good, but not as good as LiCM :fisch:

-I see more artwork (there better be artwork or I will not be a happy bunny :mf_rosetinted: )

I think that one's a given. Especially since creating visual art is supposedly a part of his musical creative pathway. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what they'll think up for the next one. :thumb_yello:

His family also needs employment anyway. :fisch:

No Songs About Arctic Mammals! Lol!

lmao!!!

I'm very keen to know if there are gonna be more characterised songs i.e lollipop, billy brown, big girl, (do I include Holy Johnny? i know he's a character but not from LiCM...) because they're so different compared to all the other "normal" song (my interpretation, relax, stuck in the middle etc...) because they're more or less like stories...and it gives us more choices as what to dress up as! :biggrin2:

I'm not sure if there's gonna be "less falsetto" (i mean, i know no-one is SURE bit judging by people's predictions...) but i think there will be MORE relatively normal-voice notes :can you tell im not a trained singer? :roftl:) i mean, the low note at the end of Big Girls gets me everytime :wub2:

I would also like to see some more ballads but I wish for most of the album to be high tempo. I think an album is most effective when you only have a select few, touching/haunting ballads amongst a lot of hyper/happy hardcore/angry songs, rather than the album littering with soft boo-hoo-hoo's :naughty:

and yeah, i know it's an old one so things may have changed, buuuut...: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp5qPGCDuZo&feature=related (at about 3:00 !)

I've no idea really what to expect from this album. I don't think it can possibly have the same impact as LICM but that's not to say it won't be excellent and musically very good. But if I force myself to envisage it, I see something like the following:

If LICM's loose theme was growing up, then I'd like to see the next album have a definite theme too. Maybe something along the lines of the transition from obscurity to fame, or changing relationships. Not necessarily in a totally serious way..it could deal with the lighter, fun sides too. Kind of like a pop concept album, Beatles style. I think Mika would enjoy that; it's very 'old school' (as he might say :naughty:).

An album like that would stand out like a sore thumb in today's commercial pop market and that's what Mika should aim for in my opinion..it'd probably constitute more Marmite, but then that's a given isn't it :wink2:

Musically I'd like to hear more offbeat piano songs in the vein of Stuck in the Middle and Grace Kelly, and unusual musical arrangements like Lollipop, but definitely no cheesy Erase-style power ballads (if he must do ballads I'd prefer them totally stripped back like one or two of the unmentionable demos..) and maybe something totally unexpected, something we can't even imagine Mika doing at the moment..how about a bit of death metal or german industrial techno. Ok so now I am joking.

I LOVE the "dum, da la di da di dum, da la di da di" in Love Today! :wub2: It's really catchy and fun to sing when you're having a crap voice day and can't hit those high notes :bleh:

Don't get me wrong: Mika's lyrics are excellent, some are even brilliant. He's no Rufus Wainwright or Lennon-McCartney yet but I'd gamble that one day he will be (once he throws out his Erase/Your Sympathy-style thinking cap out). That's why I'd rather hear more of his lyrics than annoying repetitive fillers. But if even the Beatles threw in a repetitive filler occasionally then I can live with one or two HMDYLM-like tracks on the next album (but for the sake of my sanity please no more than that :bleh:).

Oooh I love those two songs; wish they came with the British LiCM. I first loved Erase over Your Sympathy because I preferred the melody, and I thought that the lyrics were really raw and straight from the heart. But then I really read the lyrics with Your Sympathy and kinda torn between the two. I think, lyrically, Your Sympathy is just hauntingly beautiful. Especially in the first verse, where I can vividly imagine this child like image of Mika struggling to say goodbye to his childlike imagination and dreams, and having to grow up, but not wanting to leave his old beliefs behind just because it was interpreted stange to other people and just longs to be accepted for who he is

Running out of breath, chasing down the big parade

Raising up my hand, thought I'd beg the marching band to play for me

All of these illusions, they really mean to the world to me, to me

Don't make me out to be this helpless child of misery

Maybe love is what I need, but not your sympathy

In and out of space, I'm always somewhere in between

I try to make amends, but instead I make a mess of things for me

I try to paint by numbers but nothing's black and white to me, me

Maybe love is what I need, but not your sympahy

and the line that got me most of all goes to...

Nothing and no-one can make your lies the truth

But no-one can stand inside your shoes, but you

i find these songs really raw and the emotion in the lyrics really touch me, but of course this is only my opinion and people can disagree. I would like to see more ballads on his next album, but would prefer the bigger sounding songs (happy/hyper/angry) to dominate.

I've no idea really what to expect from this album. I don't think it can possibly have the same impact as LICM but that's not to say it won't be excellent and musically very good. But if I force myself to envisage it, I see something like the following:

If LICM's loose theme was growing up, then I'd like to see the next album have a definite theme too. Maybe something along the lines of the transition from obscurity to fame, or changing relationships. Not necessarily in a totally serious way..it could deal with the lighter, fun sides too. Kind of like a pop concept album, Beatles style. I think Mika would enjoy that; it's very 'old school' (as he might say :naughty:).

An album like that would stand out like a sore thumb in today's commercial pop market and that's what Mika should aim for in my opinion..it'd probably constitute more Marmite, but then that's a given isn't it :wink2:

Musically I'd like to hear more offbeat piano songs in the vein of Stuck in the Middle and Grace Kelly, and unusual musical arrangements like Lollipop, but definitely no cheesy Erase-style power ballads (if he must do ballads I'd prefer them totally stripped back like one or two of the unmentionable demos..) and maybe something totally unexpected, something we can't even imagine Mika doing at the moment..how about a bit of death metal or german industrial techno. Ok so now I am joking.

I agree with the bold parts. :thumb_yello:

Except from the bit about Lollipop: I'd be glad to never hear another Lollipop-style song from him. The first time I listened to the album I listened to it sequentially and the first track Grace Kelly was all fine and dandy but when I reached the second track Lollipop I seriously considered not listening any further. The live version of it is fun but the CD version does nothing for me. :blink:

But damn, Gatagordinha, I'd be up for some German industrial techno from Mika. :naughty:

Musically I'd like to hear more offbeat piano songs in the vein of Stuck in the Middle and Grace Kelly, and unusual musical arrangements like Lollipop, but definitely no cheesy Erase-style power ballads (if he must do ballads I'd prefer them totally stripped back like one or two of the unmentionable demos..)

definitely!!!! as much as I personally love Erase and Your Sympathy, the simple piano&vocal arrangements really get me too. They're exceedingly more beautiful...

on record, I'm not a huge fan of Any Other World, but it's one of my favourites live. I know he has strings and cellos at the concert now (don't get me wrong i LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the song live still with them!!) but I LOVED the piano version as well. Felt like it had more meaning.

Except from the bit about Lollipop: I'd be glad to never hear another Lollipop-style song from him. The first time I listened to the album I listened to it sequentially and the first track Grace Kelly was all fine and dandy but when I reached the second track Lollipop I seriously considered not listening any further. The live version of it is fun but the CD version does nothing for me. :blink:

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

as IIIFFFFF you don't like Lollipop!!!!!!

*gets out her lollipop gun and shoots*

I LOVE the "dum, da la di da di dum, da la di da di" in Love Today! It's really catchy and fun to sing when you're having a crap voice day and can't hit those high notes

Oooh I love those two songs; wish they came with the British LiCM. I first loved Erase over Your Sympathy because I preferred the melody, and I thought that the lyrics were really raw and straight from the heart. But then I really read the lyrics with Your Sympathy and kinda torn between the two. I think, lyrically, Your Sympathy is just hauntingly beautiful. Especially in the first verse, where I can vividly imagine this child like image of Mika struggling to say goodbye to his childlike imagination and dreams, and having to grow up, but not wanting to leave his old beliefs behind just because it was interpreted stange to other people and just longs to be accepted for who he is

Running out of breath, chasing down the big parada

Raising up my hand, thought I'd beg the marching band to play for me

All of these illusions, they really mean to the world to me, to me

Maybe love is what I need, but not your sympathy

In and out of space, I'm always somewhere in between

I try to make amends, but instead I make a mess of things for me

I try to paint by numbers but nothing's black and white to me, me

Maybe love is what I need, but not your sympahy

and the line that got me most of all goes to...

Nothing and no-one can make your lies the truth

But no-one can stand inside your shoes, but you

i find these songs really raw and the emotion in the lyrics really touch me, but of course this is only my opinion and people can disagree. I would like to see more ballads on his next album, but would prefer the bigger sounding songs (happy/hyper/angry) to dominate.

You and I are the exact opposite. I'd be extremely pleased if he axed the Erase/Your Sympathy-like ballads and the LT-like filler lines that you clearly love so much. :roftl:

definitely!!!! as much as I personally love Erase and Your Sympathy, the simple piano&vocal arrangements really get me too. They're exceedingly more beautiful...

on record, I'm not a huge fan of Any Other World, but it's one of my favourites live. I know he has strings and cellos at the concert now (don't get me wrong i LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the song live still with them!!) but I LOVED the piano version as well. Felt like it had more meaning.

There's one point we partly agree on. I really want to see more along the lines of the Relax acoustic (!!!), Over My Shoulder, Any Other World, Everybody's Talkin' (I know that's not his but I love his performance of it) and Intoxicated (please don't shoot me, I'm too young to die). There's something about stripped down piano acoustics that's spell-binding. If he doesn't put any on an album I hope that he'll put some as bonus tracks or B-sides. :thumb_yello:

But most of all I want to see some live!

Lollipop is an odd one isn't it. Every fibre of my being screams that I should hate it. But I really like it, and the main reason I like it is the musical/vocal arrangement is very quirky..for me, it just works, and I see flashes of Mika's genius in that, to make something work which on paper shouldn't. BUT I can totally understand why you and others might dislike it.

But damn, Gatagordinha, I'd be up for some German industrial techno from Mika. :naughty:

:punk: I was always partial to a bit of Einsturzende Neubauten myself. Cover, Mika? :fisch:

I totally agree with the above. The piano version is in my humble opinion far superior.

Ohhhh, I do wonder if he'll create a new world or keep the same one he already "created" !

I hope he keeps elements of his world, but adds to it and expands it. His world is sort of a trademark, and I love it. It also adds to the theatrical elements on tour--when he brings his world to life on stage.

he should have a follow-up song to "billy brown" maybe from mrs. browns perspective....??

Haha, or maybe just a continuation of "where is he now"?

I would love to see more honky-tonk piano in the vein of Billy Brown and Stuck In The Middle, he does those kind of songs really well and they're fun to perform live - if he does one I'd also like to see it released as a single this time.

Me too! I love those songs live--the piano is SO friggin' amazing!! If there aren't any funky, rockin' piano songs like that on the next album, I'll cry.

Come on, they're meaningless filler phrases that lack any form of creativity.

I love those so-called "filler" phrases. They're so much fun to sing live, and really get the audience participation going. Especially at the end of "SITM" live. That was so much fun singing "filler" phrases back and forth with Mika.

I'm also thinking more intricate piano melodies. I'm seeing 14 tracks. And I'm seeing a release date that's a little more than a year from today, but with a lead single released around October or November.

Haha, are you psychic, Mana? Fourteen tracks sounds nice...114 would also be good. :naughty: And *sigh* October or November. Such a long time from now, but not for Mika. It could take months to flesh out his ideas, artwork with Yasmine, recordings, etc.

I'm hoping for another song (or songs) that can be made into another epic-like live performance, like "Love Today". That really evolved into something amazing onstage with the snow, Gray Skelly, and the drumming. It rocked.

I know singing those high notes was hard on him during the tour, but I hope he keeps the falsetto on the next album. It's his trademark, and so few people can sing like that (especially men) that it makes him stand out. He wouldn't be Mika without that.

I don't think he'll write songs that are too "commercial" or about boring topics. He's more creative than that.

I do know that if it's Mika we're talking about, the second album is going to be flippin' incredible. Because he wouldn't settle for anything less.