Rick Astley

Gatagordinha

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparantely it's a weird Youtube thing, people keep getting directed unknowingly via strange links to Rick Astley videos, and he has about 18 MILLION hits now on one of his videos...

They should re-release his stuff and get Leona off the top of the charts over there!!

"Rickroll" Internet meme

The song's campy music video became the basis of an Internet meme known as "rickrolling". It took its name from an anonymous message board meme known as "duckrolling", a prank in which someone would post a blind link to a post, allegedly relevant to the discussion, that upon viewing would prove to be a non sequitur - specifically, an image of a duck on wheels. Similarly, in a rickroll a person provides a link they claim is relevant to the topic at hand which actually takes the user to the Rick Astley video. By May 2007[2] the practice had become widespread, and it eventually began to receive some coverage in the mainstream media.[3][4][5] On occasion, this was accompanied by javascript traps to prevent the unfortunate victim from closing the video loop.

Screenshot of a Rickroll on YouTube.

"Never Gonna Give You Up" has been used as a theme in the protests against Scientology.[6]In connection with the online meme, "Never Gonna Give You Up" was played and performed at some of the Project Chanology February 2008 protests against the Church of Scientology.[7][8] At February 10, 2008 protests in New York City, Washington, D.C., London, Edinburgh and Seattle, protesters played the song through boomboxes and shouted the phrase "Never gonna let you down!", in what The Guardian called "a live rick-rolling of the Church of Scientology".[6] In response to a website created by Scientologists showing an anti-Anonymous video, Project Chanology participants created a website with a similar domain name with a video displaying the music video to "Never Gonna Give You Up".[6]

According to the New York Times, four women's basketball games at Eastern Washington University were rickrolled in March 2008. [9][2]According to The New York Times, four women's basketball games at Eastern Washington University were rickrolled during March 2008. Before the start of the games, "Never Gonna Give You Up was played while a Rick Astley impersonator danced and lip-synched to the music. A video containing footage of the pre-game rickrollings, misleadingly combined with previously-recorded game footage, was later released on YouTube.[10][11][3]

In a March 2008 interview, Astley said that he found the rickrolling of Scientology to be "hilarious"; he also said that he will not try to capitalize on the rickroll phenomenon with a new recording or remix of his own, but that he'd be happy to have other artists remix it. Overall, Astley is fine with the phenomenon, although he finds it a little "bizarre" and only hopes that his daughter receives no embarrassment over it.[12]

The term is also expanding to include any misdirection of a user to unexpected content.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Gonna_Give_You_Up

I just find it hilarious...I mean RICK ASTLEY of all people. Why him??? He must think it's Christmas, he's gonna get a career again! :newyear:

I have been rick-rolled before on YT.

I also was a huge Rick Astley fan back in the day. :wink2:

Still have alot of his records in my bedroom. I can still listen to them without cringing actually.

:shocked:

• 2 weeks later...

Aye good old Rick, i read in the paper he was flattered with it and said if thats what people like then so be it..i think he too found it hilarous! I have his songs on my mobile cos i'm an 80's cheese monster hehe

• 5 years later...
I forgot we had a Rick Astley thread ... I must have known at some point as it seems I posted before :lmfao:

:naughty:

someone started a new Rick Astley thread as they didn't realize there was one already... that's why i bumped this one.

It had a name that wasn't as easy to know who it was about... rick rolled or something like that, i changed it to make it easier for members to recognize him :naughty:

:naughty:

someone started a new Rick Astley thread as they didn't realize there was one already... that's why i bumped this one.

It had a name that wasn't as easy to know who it was about... rick rolled or something like that, i changed it to make it easier for members to recognize him :naughty:

Thanks for closing the other thread,I didn't realize there was one:wink2: