2008 - Mika (and Amy) helped to extend Universal market share in 2007

robertina

Reuter - april 3rd

reported on Guardian.co.uk today

Universal extends music market share - reportReuters, Thursday April 3 2008 By Kate Holton

LONDON, April 4 (Reuters) - Amy Winehouse and Mika helped Universal Music extend its dominance of the recorded music sector in 2007, taking its share of the market to almost 30 percent, according to new research.

The global recorded music market consists of hundreds of independent labels and four major groups -- Universal, Sony BMG, Warner and EMI -- which have all been hit by the move to digital sales and piracy in recent years.

According to the Informa Telecoms and Media publication Music & Copyright, Universal continued its strong success in 2007, dominating both the recorded and music publishing sectors.

It grew its market share of the recorded music market to 28.8 percent from 25.7 in 2006. Sony BMG was second with 20.1 percent, ahead of Warner at 14.4 percent and EMI with 10.9.

EMI was hit particularly hard by the changes in the industry but it also struggled in 2007 with a poor release schedule.

The group, which is home to Coldplay and The Beatles, was taken over by Terra Firma last year in a 2.4 billion pound ($4.8 billion) deal.

The editor of the respected Music & Copyright, Phil Hardy, questioned whether it was healthy to have one group dominating both music divisions.

"Because this dominance is even stronger in current releases, it has led to concern that UMG's size is a destabilising influence in what remains a declining market," he said in the report.

Hardy said the trade value of physical and digital recorded music sales fell 8.3 percent in 2007 to $18.9 billion.

Of that, digital sales rose to $2.9 billion from $2.1 billion in 2006, equivalent to slightly less than 15 percent of total sales.

"Any hope of digital making up for the downturn of physical sales anytime soon has now gone," said Simon Dyson, Principal Music Analyst at Informa. "We're in the middle of a massive realignment in the music industry which is likely to end with an industry worth considerably less than it was just 10 years ago."

In music publishing, Universal had 22.2 percent of the market, ahead of EMI at 19.8 percent. Warner Chappell had 14.8 percent and Sony/ATV had 7.4 percent. The independents made up 35.8 percent of the market. (Reporting by Kate Holton; editing by Elaine Hardcastle) Business

Latest news on guardian.co.uk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/feedarticle?id=7435733

Mika...you can ask WHATEVER you want to Universal....:wink2:

(i know, it's a bit of a technical article...but very interesting)

Edited by robertina

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Helll yeaaaaah Miiiikkkaaa

Ask for chocolat chip cookies! You can now:mf_rosetinted:

for us in the queue, of course!:wink2:

and more hot chocos and donuts....

............and a hollywoodian afterparty!!!!! :punk:

for us in the queue, of course!:wink2:

and more hot chocos and donuts....

............and a hollywoodian afterparty!!!!! :punk:

I would prefer something else to drink. I spilled all the hot choco over someone's bag in London...I don't like Hot choco as it doesn't like me:mf_rosetinted:

I would prefer something else to drink. I spilled all the hot choco over someone's bag in London...I don't like Hot choco as it doesn't like me:mf_rosetinted:

Maybe champagne in the queue next time, instead of after the gig. :newyear:

"We're in the middle of a massive realignment in the music industry which is likely to end with an industry worth considerably less than it was just 10 years ago."

Thanks for the article Robertina. I have a feeling 10 years from now Mika will be distributing his own music and won't need a record company.

Maybe champagne in the queue next time, instead of after the gig. :newyear:

Thanks for the article Robertina. I have a feeling 10 years from now Mika will be distributing his own music and won't need a record company.

10 years from now? The musical biz world is changing at a faster rythm :cool:

10 years from now? The musical biz world is changing at a faster rythm :cool:

I'm sure you're right. I was just responding to the guy's whinging that it's not like it was 10 years ago. It will be unrecognizable 10 years from now and hopefully Mika will be a long time independent.

"There's no one in the record industry that's a technologist," Morris explains. "That's a misconception writers make all the time, that the record industry missed this. They didn't. They just didn't know what to do. It's like if you were suddenly asked to operate on your dog to remove his kidney. What would you do?"

WOW! :shocked:

Sometimes I think it's a miracle that Mika ever got where he did. The incompetence in the industry is astounding.

yep...the "success" is due to the artists + fans + other logistic factors I hope these Dinosaurs will extinguish before this http://blog.peculiarplace.com/2008/03/28/music-industry-trying-to-penalize-everybody/ :sneaky2:

Steven Page from Barenaked Ladies has been proposing this for awhile. ISPs can offer separate packages for people who do not want to download music (and therefore don't have to pay the fee), by restricting access to peer-to-peer traffic.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070427-barenaked-ladies-if-i-had-a-compulsory-blanket-music-license.html

Canada has had this kind of system for decades in that artists are compensated for blank media (cassette tapes, CDs, etc.) sales. It's the reason that "illegal file sharing" is effectively legal in Canada. The copyright laws have already built in an exception to compensate for the fact that people have been recording and sharing music for decades. Record companies can't cry copyright infringement now simply because the media has changed from CD to mp3.

The ISP model Steven Page has proposed is a good one for Canada because the artists will never be compensated otherwise and it's in line with the already existing surcharge on blank media. Canadians are just never going to voluntarily pay for music. We're all online, we're all savvy about these things and we can download "illegally" with impunity.

But I want to see the money go straight to the artist, not to any record companies.

*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

Thu Apr 3, 7:09 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Amy Winehouse and Mika helped Universal Music extend

its dominance of the recorded music sector in 2007, taking its share of the

market to almost 30 percent, according to new research.

gratitude.jpg

weekylegrandpa.jpg

I Hope Universal Is Grateful!

*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*