The Ting Tings

MikaMeka

I've only heard two songs by them (the ones they've released) but I really like both of them!

I'd never heard of them until I heard Mika talk about them on the BBC. (was interviewed about them at the Ivor Novello awards...). They showed clips of their songs and I recognised their first song, but never knew they sang it. Then I heard the song "That's not my name" and faintly recognised the tune, so I YouTubed them. Now that song is on my MySpace profile :naughty:

I even have a music channel on which is showing the official top 40 UK chart just in the hope that I hear them :roftl: My mum even asked me if she could watch the news and i was like NO! :roftl:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just that I've been to so many concerts already this year. Which is not a bad thing, but my $$ running out. :naughty: Christine tempted me into watching Adele in a few weeks. I've just watched Yelle, Creature, The Midway State, and The Cure in the last month!

Oh I really like Adele. Gosh I wished nearer London just so I could get to gigs easier. We get nothing down here! Not that I know of anyway :blink:

Oh I really like Adele. Gosh I wished nearer London just so I could get to gigs easier. We get nothing down here! Not that I know of anyway :blink:

It's the same in Canada. If you don't live in Toronto or Montreal (sometimes Vancouver) you can forget about catching these smaller shows. Some Canadians live over a thousand kilometres from the nearest Mika or Adele gig.

It's the same in Canada. If you don't live in Toronto or Montreal (sometimes Vancouver) you can forget about catching these smaller shows. Some Canadians live over a thousand kilometres from the nearest Mika or Adele gig.

It's really crap. I live on this island that's only five miles one way and three miles the other. The only thing CLOSE to a theater is The Paddocks or the War Memorial Hall. Sure, they have stages, but hardly gig material.

Southend has a theatre called The Cliffs Pavillion. That's a good venue, I've danced on there several times for the dance shows I do but it would only work with Mika if he did seated venues. Same with the other theatres in Southend. All seated.

I don't know about Chelmsford or whatever, which is where Jemma lives, but even that's an hour away like London is, and Chelmsford is in the county of Essex, which is where I live *grumble*

I'd love, love, LOVE to go and see Mika in a small venue, especially what everyone has written on here about them.

Now, I have a huge phobia of driving, so I ain't gonna be learning any time soon, but this restricts me on going places obviously, but if gigs were a little closer to home, my family would be more willing to go. My mum didn't want to go to the London gig simply because she doesn't like driving in London.

Now, I have a huge phobia of driving, so I ain't gonna be learning any time soon, but this restricts me on going places obviously, but if gigs were a little closer to home, my family would be more willing to go. My mum didn't want to go to the London gig simply because she doesn't like driving in London.

Can't you take the train into London? I never drove anywhere in the UK although my husband bought a car once we moved to Reading. It was still faster to take the train into London though. Only 22 mins to Paddington.

Can't you take the train into London? I never drove anywhere in the UK although my husband bought a car once we moved to Reading. It was still faster to take the train into London though. Only 22 mins to Paddington.

I could, but it's getting back, too. My parents don't let me take the train home from work past 9pm, they pick me up...and with good reason I suppose because you get A LOT of weirdos. Even though the train journey is only about fifteen minutes and it takes half hour there and back by car. Even though I'm 18, my mother still thinks of me as a 13 year old. She's really overprotective and I can't STAND IT. I hate living at home - I don't get the freedom I crave but don't have the money to move out. Even when I go out, she sometimes says to me "be careful, people get stabbed there." and it's just like :boxed:

I understand why she's so insecure about me going out and really protective of me, especially cos I'm the youngest, but she doesn't let me live, sometimes.

I could, but it's getting back, too. My parents don't let me take the train home from work past 9pm, they pick me up...

Yeah my parents didn't like me taking public transport late either, but that's why you stay at a mate's house. :wink2:

Anyway sorry you're feeling so stifled at home. How many years do you have left of school?

Yeah my parents didn't like me taking public transport late either, but that's why you stay at a mate's house. :wink2:

Really? I thought you'd have trained them out of that Christine. :bleh:

Caz, why don't you stand your ground about the train? I take trains in and out of NY past midnight all the time. Obviously, there's always a risk but generally I haven't been bothered, and at least on the train you've got the conductors, etc. New York is notoriously full of weirdos too, but honestly, they are everywhere so you just learn to deal with them. Otherwise you could never do anything--I mean, driving in cars is incredibly dangerous too, and people will get into several car accidents over their lifetime on average, but people still drive.

--Jack

Anyway sorry you're feeling so stifled at home. How many years do you have left of school?

My mum's funny with the internet too. She trusts no-one at all, whatsoever. She doesn't know I keep in contact with the MFCers in real life as well because if she did, she's bloody flip. "YOU DON'T KNOW THEM, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE LIKE, THEY COULD BE ANYONE..." even though I've met you guys. "you don't know what they're really like....what about so-and-so in the newspaper..." and in the end she'd just go all stiff, go back to her housework or whatever and go "weeellll it's up to you.", go all quiet and just make me feel bloody guilty. That's why I hate it here. So, even if i DID get to London, there's no way she'd agree to let me stay at anyone's house.

I can do whatever I like, but I still feel so chained even though I'm legal to choose to do what I want. I don't even feel like a responsible adult, and that might be because she still treats me like a little girl.

I've finished school. Finished when I was 15, but I've been in college since I was 16. In september I'm taking a six month counselling course, and after that I wanna work on a cruise ship in a creche or something to get some money behind me, see the world, and get away from where I am. After that, I want to go to Uni to study Counselling-and-Psychology.

Money is just a real issue. I've never been told about what to expect when I move out. I know about like paying your bills and stuff (water, electric, gas, mortgage or rent, getting a TV license and things) but I don't know how the bloody hell to pay them, or how much it's all gonna cost on average. I guess I'm also afraid of moving out even though I want to, because I still feel like a little girl, don't know enough because I've never been told, and I don't want to get into heap loads of debt and be unable to cope.

Making money is what I'm most concerned about. We had to make a children's book at college (study childcare atm) and I'm really proud of it and want to publish it, and others think it's a good idea too, so I might make money that way as well.

Caz, why don't you stand your ground about the train? I take trains in and out of NY past midnight all the time. Obviously, there's always a risk but generally I haven't been bothered, and at least on the train you've got the conductors, etc. New York is notoriously full of weirdos too, but honestly, they are everywhere so you just learn to deal with them. Otherwise you could never do anything--I mean, driving in cars is incredibly dangerous too, and people will get into several car accidents over their lifetime on average, but people still drive.

--Jack

well that's true, but I hate conflicting with my parents. The tiniest argue can set me off in tears, even though I don't know why and don't want to...so more often then not I just do as I'm told. Even talking about this has given me a lump in my throat and I can feel the tears coming up. I feel bad going against my parents - especially my mother - because I know they're only doing it because they have good intentions but my mum doesn't contain a single ounce of trust. She's afraid of her own shadow. And even if I did go against her wishes and argue back she'd start the water works and make herself look like the victim.

I found trickery the most effective method with my parents. :roftl:

I did actually start standing my ground as I got to be close to 16 and all my friends were driving. My parents had always used the public transport/my dad having to pick me up excuse as the reason why I couldn't stay out very late. So they weren't in a position to argue when I was able to get a ride home with someone else.

When I was 13 or 14 I would just stay overnight with friends who had irresponsible parents and mine would pick me up the next day. :naughty:

I found trickery the most effective method with my parents. :roftl:

I did actually start standing my ground as I got to be close to 16 and all my friends were driving. My parents had always used the public transport/my dad having to pick me up excuse as the reason why I couldn't stay out very late. So they weren't in a position to argue when I was able to get a ride home with someone else.

When I was 13 or 14 I would just stay overnight with friends who had irresponsible parents and mine would pick me up the next day. :naughty:

tell me about it - one of my best friend's who lives on the island...her parents hardly ever drive her anywhere. If a group of us are going out she has to find her own way bless her, or my parents have to take her with us...and it's not fair on my parents. I've driven in her mum's car once and I've known her for four years. My cousin's parents would be happy to drive me back home or whatever cos we're quite close, my family and theirs, and my other best friend lives two hours away.

*after reading posts about lack of freedom because of parents, just remembers she's in the Ting Tings thread* Yeah, they're great, I wanted to see them on Thursday but I had noone to go with, so now I need to wait til next time they perform here, which will be after their American tour

My mum's funny with the internet too. She trusts no-one at all, whatsoever. She doesn't know I keep in contact with the MFCers in real life as well because if she did, she's bloody flip. "YOU DON'T KNOW THEM, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE LIKE, THEY COULD BE ANYONE..." even though I've met you guys.

I think a lot of moms are like that. It's just a generational thing because they haven't used the internet much and they don't understand how relationships develop and you get to know people quite well online. I think MFC is particularly safe for that because we get together in large groups and it's mostly other girls and women with families.

I've finished school. Finished when I was 15, but I've been in college since I was 16.

Yes sorry, I meant college. In Canada we call any kind of education from kindergarten to getting a PhD "school".

In september I'm taking a six month counselling course, and after that I wanna work on a cruise ship in a creche or something to get some money behind me, see the world, and get away from where I am.

That sounds like a great plan. Seems like it won't be long before you're living your own life the way you want.

After that, I want to go to Uni to study Counselling-and-Psychology. Money is just a real issue. I've never been told about what to expect when I move out.

I think Jack is right about having to contend with a few weirdos in life at some point, and this is just another hurdle/fear you're going to have to face. And the sooner the better. It's a lot easier to take risks when you're younger. The longer you put things off the more daunting they become.

I wouldn't want to learn to drive at my age for instance. Or walk the streets alone after dark for the first time when I was 25. It's easier to tackle new things when you haven't spent many years fearing them.

If you're going to get a full time job in a creche before you enrol for university, then I would suggest you move out then so money is not such a huge issue. You can work out a budget based on your salary and move in with some flatmates who are already settled and know all about paying bills, etc.

Once you've got a handle on what it takes to support yourself you can start working on a plan to manage university at the same time.

In my situation - I stayed at home with my parents while I went to university but by that time I had forced them to modify their expectations and they no longer had any say over my comings and goings. Also my university campus was only a mile from their house, so I don't know if you're going to be forced to live on your own to go to university anyway.

*after reading posts about lack of freedom because of parents, just remembers she's in the Ting Tings thread* Yeah, they're great, I wanted to see them on Thursday but I had noone to go with, so now I need to wait til next time they perform here, which will be after their American tour

Aw, that's too bad. I went to see Mika alone the first time because I didn't know anyone who would be interested in going to the gig. But it's always more fun with friends.

Oh, I'm a really bad example, I mostly did what I felt I really needed to do even if my dad disapproved. Then I used to get into big trouble later.

Then when I moved out, I moved from a small town in the north east of England to London, with no idea of anything really. I was working with some Filipinas - I had never heard of the Phillipines let alone knew where they were! Lord I hadn't even seen an aubergine. :naughty:

But I got a job in a hotel, with board and lodgings included, which then led to my own (shared) flat , but by that time I had more idea of what things cost and how much the bills were and so on.

I suppose what I am trying to say Caz, without being too bad an example, is that sometimes you need to do what you feel is right for you and take a chance now and again - or a calculated risk, let's say.

You and me both, Sarie, you and me both.:ap_rosetinted:

Can't we just tell everyone he's gay and close down the forums, already?

Can't we just tell everyone he's gay and close down the forums, already?

Dare you mention the G word? :naughty:

How I long for a good "Is Mika Gay" thread, but they always close them down and refer people to the FAQs.

Killjoys. :thumbdown::naughty:

Aw, that's too bad. I went to see Mika alone the first time because I didn't know anyone who would be interested in going to the gig. But it's always more fun with friends.

I'll usually go by myself to events if I have no one to go with or feel like going by myself (like the Big Girl video shoot) but for gigs I seem to prefer going with mates. Plus, it helps having someone to talk to during the really long intervals between the support band and the actual performance.

Haha, I'm of the opposite brand of thought. I like going with mates only if I have a casual interest in the band.

The Ting Tings are playing in NY the day after Toronto! I wanted to go but I'm teaching a class that day till 9:45 pm. :thumbdown:

--Jack

Dare you mention the G word? :naughty:

How I long for a good "Is Mika Gay" thread, but they always close them down and refer people to the FAQs.

Killjoys. :thumbdown::naughty:

They always ruin our fun.