The United States

HollyD

Anyone who lives in the U.S. *or has visited multiple states for that matter* must realize that each and every state is like a whole other country, with it's own 'different way of life'.

I haven't been to THAT many states and I see the difference....so it only makes me wonder - if it gets all the more apparent the further Up, East or West that you go!!!!

How does YOUR state differ from others that you have been to?

......and do have any questions for folks from specific states that you have always wondered if any of the clichés are true?

Like, I am from the deep south and I DO say 'yall' everyday of my life!~

I don't think I have a 'country accent' but some people in NYC said that I did????

New York was like a whole other world - but, I think that is JUST NYC... it is like that for everyone that goes there! New York is a world of it's own - so that is not a fair comparison for ANYONE! :naughty:

I think that in say Georgia.... the pace of life seems much slower and laid back. At least the parts that I have been to. It is beautiful and looks so much cleaner than Florida!

What have you guys observed?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, certainly an interesting place.

Unfortunately i did not get to enjoy it quite as much as i would have liked as the general holiday walking about was hindered by a sprained ankle done in Canada the day before we arrived - joy.

I did not get to enjoy it at all.... or see ANYTHING! Thanks to MIKA! Those 15 long hours of waiting in line - I could have been out and about seeing all of the sights I wanted to see..... But, Mika was more fun and beautiful then anything I could have possibly seen! No regrets! But, I have to go back!!!! Hopefully in June - we will get to see all of the sites! :naughty:

Okay, when you do go back, go one one of the boat rides called 'The Beast' - its advertised in all the standard tourist things - its very good :)

Sounds very scary :shocked:

I'm from Michigan. hmm. i don't know of any stereotypes? Anybody have any?

I really notice the accents/ dialect from other states. And landscape.

I don't really know of any that i might be wondering about right now, but i'm sure i'll think of some!

I think that in say Georgia.... the pace of life seems much slower and laid back. At least the parts that I have been to. It is beautiful and looks so much cleaner than Florida!

I agree :biggrin2:

The only other state besides Georgia I've been to is South Carolina. It seemed pretty much like Georgia to me..the accents were a little different though. I'm going to New York in July though..I'm so excited! :yay:

I agree :biggrin2:

The only other state besides Georgia I've been to is South Carolina. It seemed pretty much like Georgia to me..the accents were a little different though. I'm going to New York in July though..I'm so excited! :yay:

OMG!!!!!! :shocked:

You are in for a REAL shock and treat!!!! :naughty:

I live in California, specifically in L.A.

Of all the states, I've been to New York, Florida, South Carolina, Michigan, Illinois, Tennessee, Mississippi, Colorado, Missouri, Nevada, and Arizona.

I noticed differences between all of these states, whether it's the accents, city architecture, lifestyles/beliefs, or whatever.

I see differences between each city in Cali too....

I enjoy the fact that our states differ so much. It is fun to visit a state that's only a couple of hours away and to observe all of the differences from your own state.

I am from Missouri, which I don't think is too well-known for anything in particular. I consider myself more a Southerner than a Northerner, especially since my mom is from Kentucky. I don't think we have accents here, but I've been told I have a slight Southern twang before, which I never notice if this is true.

I have been to several Nothern states and it's quite obvious that they are much more fast-paced than Southerners. I find that to be an interesting difference.

As far as states go, I have been to: Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida.

Oh, and I will be able to add New York in June, because I will be spending TWO days there! Cannot wait. :D

I enjoy the fact that our states differ so much. It is fun to visit a state that's only a couple of hours away and to observe all of the differences from your own state.

I am from Missouri, which I don't think is too well-known for anything in particular. I consider myself more a Southerner than a Northerner, especially since my mom is from Kentucky. I don't think we have accents here, but I've been told I have a slight Southern twang before, which I never notice if this is true.

I have been to several Nothern states and it's quite obvious that they are much more fast-paced than Southerners. I find that to be an interesting difference.

As far as states go, I have been to: Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida.

Oh, and I will be able to add New York in June, because I will be spending TWO days there! Cannot wait. :D

You just reminded me of something!

Okay, so if i go down south at all of if i'm talking to people from the south who haven't been to the north much, they sometimes have a hard time understanding me because apparently people from the more norther states talk really fast?

I don't notice it, but i just thought that was wild!

Okay maybe i can name somethings i have in my state and people can say if they have them too?

-Cherry blossom trees

-Vernors

-Pop (as opposed to soda:naughty:)

-Northers accent?

-lakes

-lots of rain

-Snow

-Lilac trees

-turtles

uuummmm

-corn fields

-cccold winter, very hhhot summer

thats all i can think of right now :biggrin2:

New Jersey has

-Cherry Blossom Trees

-"The Shore" instead of "the beach"

-lots of smelly factories up North

-"cawfee" instead of "coffee"

-Jersey Devil (and I'm not talking the Hockey Team) :naughty:

-Newark and Camden. 'Nuff said.:mf_rosetinted:

-Home of Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Frank Sinatra, My Chemical Romance, Whitney Houston, Thomas Jefferson, Queen Latifah, and The Sopranos.

We don't pump our own gas. :bleh:

I read somewhere that we're the only state with jughandles?

That's all I can think of.

I've noticed Northerners talk pretty fast too. I remember when I took my college History course, my instructor said that since the Civil War, one of the main differences between Southerners and Northerners was how slow-moving people in the South were and how fast-moving Northerners were. Pretty strange stuff, but I think that still applies now.

Holly, i think you had a twang, but not necessarily an accent when I met you (briefly).

Connecticut- y'know the whole Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, country club, Martha Stewart stereotypes. That's mostly not true. There are tons of cities etc. where we don't dress like that. Big stereotype. I think people expect me to be super preppy etc. because I'm pretty optimistic, but I'm not like that, really. I don't act or dress in that country club-ish way. :sneaky2:

I don't see NYC as a whole other world, really. Maybe the Northeast is rather a whole different world from the South, but the mentality in New York isn't that foreign to Connecticut.

Hmmmn..

I'm in California (...Orange County.. *cringe*)..

I don't really know what to say about it. I have 3,000+ kids at my high school and pretty much all of them are the same...

I was thinking about how much it takes to stand out and show that you're different.

Everyone at my school either has Hollister or Abercrombie and Fitch clothing items, side bangs, side kicks, and layers and layers of pancaked faced make up...

That's probably a lot of places though...

There are people who aren't like that of course, but it's just crazy how it is here.

It's nice to live here though, the weather is perfect and the beach is gorgeous, but I just can't wait to LEAVE! :wub2:

And lots of cities are really different than the other cities in California too.

And peoples slang and dialects here are pretty different too..

seeing how I've lived in two states, here's my input:

Utah:

-predominantly Mormon, but not as much as you'd think. really.

-we have fry sauce! ha! i'm sure not many of you know what it is.

-it's not humid at all.

-we have the Salt Flats, where they do races every year.

-no accent that i'm aware of, although when pronouncing the town Layton, people say "lay-un", pretty much with out the T.

-the weather is really wacky, especially since in St. George the weather is the same as Arizona, but then SLC is effected by the "lake effect" and that makes it colder.

-David Archuleta is from there (i'm gonna see him Friday!)

-most people are generally laid back, except, and I'm allowed to say this, some of the really stuck up Mormons.

Idaho:

-MOUNTAINS!!! Did you know if all the mountains here were flat, this state would be bigger than Texas?

-Hickish people, at least in the Southeast part of the state (where i'm at)

-One out of the two places in the world to find star garnets.

-Potatoes. :naughty:

-Fairly urban in the north, the south part is very rural.

-it's got one of the biggest forest ranges in it.

-No humidity...

-it gets FREEZING here in the winter.

-I don't know anyone cool from Idaho...but William Peterson (Gil Grissom on CSI Las Vegas) went to college at Idaho State University. :D

I have been all over the U.S., and I have to say, my favorite places have been on the east coast. New York is amazing! It's not necessarily a new world, but it offers things that I don't get to experience daily. Since I've lived in a rural area for a good part of my life, I can say I don't really like it. I love the city. :D

I personally don't think I have an accent...

Jess and Kate--what says you?

Hmmmn..

I'm in California (...Orange County.. *cringe*)..

I don't really know what to say about it. I have 3,000+ kids at my high school and pretty much all of them are the same...

I was thinking about how much it takes to stand out and show that you're different.

Everyone at my school either has Hollister or Abercrombie and Fitch clothing items, side bangs, side kicks, and layers and layers of pancaked faced make up...

There are people who aren't like that of course, but it's just crazy how it is here.

It's nice to live here though, the weather is perfect and the beach is gorgeous, but I just can't wait to LEAVE! :wub2:

And peoples slang and dialects here are pretty different too..

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN!!!! Everyone is pretty much a clone of everyone else...*sigh*

But, I admit, I do love living so close to Hollywood. I feel really lucky. People travel from all over just to come, and I live less than thirty minutes away. I love that place so much. And the weather is rather nice...:naughty:

seeing how I've lived in two states, here's my input:

Utah:

-predominantly Mormon, but not as much as you'd think. really.

-we have fry sauce! ha! i'm sure not many of you know what it is.

-it's not humid at all.

-we have the Salt Flats, where they do races every year.

-no accent that i'm aware of, although when pronouncing the town Layton, people say "lay-un", pretty much with out the T.

-the weather is really wacky, especially since in St. George the weather is the same as Arizona, but then SLC is effected by the "lake effect" and that makes it colder.

-David Archuleta is from there (i'm gonna see him Friday!)

-most people are generally laid back, except, and I'm allowed to say this, some of the really stuck up Mormons.

Idaho:

-MOUNTAINS!!! Did you know if all the mountains here were flat, this state would be bigger than Texas?

-Hickish people, at least in the Southeast part of the state (where i'm at)

-One out of the two places in the world to find star garnets.

-Potatoes. :naughty:

-Fairly urban in the north, the south part is very rural.

-it's got one of the biggest forest ranges in it.

-No humidity...

-it gets FREEZING here in the winter.

-I don't know anyone cool from Idaho...but William Peterson (Gil Grissom on CSI Las Vegas) went to college at Idaho State University. :D

I have been all over the U.S., and I have to say, my favorite places have been on the east coast. New York is amazing! It's not necessarily a new world, but it offers things that I don't get to experience daily. Since I've lived in a rural area for a good part of my life, I can say I don't really like it. I love the city. :D

I personally don't think I have an accent...

Jess and Kate--what says you?

David! ooh, lucky you're seeing him!

I have a really good friend who lives in Twin Falls Idaho? (not exactly sure where that is) But do you know it?

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN!!!! Everyone is pretty much a clone of everyone else...*sigh*

But, I admit, I do love living so close to Hollywood. I feel really lucky. People travel from all over just to come, and I live less than thirty minutes away. I love that place so much. And the weather is rather nice...:naughty:

i guess out school is weird because i would say there are 80-90% are nerds (not in the stereotypical sense, just that everybody cares a lot about their grades) A good third dress no "crazier" than mika, so if i wear colored skinny jeans or a bright shirt, nobody thinks it's odd. There are the preps- a HECK of a lot of them too. I wear whatever i feel like wearing i don't really have a style, i get pretty crazy sometimes, but friends are yet to disown me because of it lol.

But with that said, we are also considered one of the most preppy schools around. we have about 1400 students as well, not huge, but for this area it's considered big.

i guess out school is weird because i would say there are 80-90% are nerds (not in the stereotypical sense, just that everybody cares a lot about their grades) A good third dress no "crazier" than mika, so if i wear colored skinny jeans or a bright shirt, nobody thinks it's odd. There are the preps- a HECK of a lot of them too. I wear whatever i feel like wearing i don't really have a style, i get pretty crazy sometimes, but friends are yet to disown me because of it lol.

But with that said, we are also considered one of the most preppy schools around. we have about 1400 students as well, not huge, but for this area it's considered big.

Coool. I see. My school has a little over 1,000 students I think. And it's considered to be the most diverse school in the area pertaining to race. But it's so easy to tell that a lot of people are just trying to look like the person next to them. I look a mess most of the time though, to be honest. I don't exactly dress colorful a lot but, like you, I just wear what I want and don't have a particular style.

Mika's influence is starting to slowly leak it's way into my wardrobe though, I'll tell you that...:naughty: