Freddies English Teaching Course

Um, WAG also has another meaning.......

Ok, from the start: originally it meant footballers' Wives And Girlfriends, so people like Victoria Beckham, Cheryl Cole....so then WAG became a term for all of these skinny, tanned, shopping-obsessed women associated with (mostly English) footballers.

Thanks so much laura!!!

I've been wondering for a while but only had the idea to ask here today :teehee:

You're welcome. :flowers2:

If you google online dictionary or free dictionary, you will be able to check all the words you need like in a real dictionary. :wink2:

I know this thread is for people whose first language is not English. Mine is. But I'm asking my question here anyways, because I think it's the most fitting place to post it.

For those who are British: what does "fit" mean? In terms of describing a person. Like, "that guy is so fit".

I heard it on TV today and was thinking that it means sexy, good looking...something along those lines. Am I right?

WAG is also the short term for "Wives And Girlfriends".

For example, a footballer's wife or girlfriend is called a WAG.

For another example...Victoria Beckham.

Hi! I thought WAG meant "What A Golddigger!":roftl::roftl::roftl:

Sorry for this moment of crazyness... This thread is really useful, thanks!

I know this thread is for people whose first language is not English. Mine is. But I'm asking my question here anyways, because I think it's the most fitting place to post it.

For those who are British: what does "fit" mean? In terms of describing a person. Like, "that guy is so fit".

I heard it on TV today and was thinking that it means sexy, good looking...something along those lines. Am I right?

It's the British version of "hot". :naughty:

Yup, pretty much lol

Thanks because I got confused and it's over now:thumb_yello:

You're welcome :naughty:

Last summer in Canada I said 'queer' instead of 'weird'. :teehee:

They told me it wasn't politically correct. :roftl:

:lol3:

I say it in my head :pinkbow:

I thought it was when you look like you workout a lot.

It does mean that as well.

Like: "You've lost so much weight from going to the gym. You look really fit and healthy now"

OR:

"LIKE OH MY GAWSH MIKA LOOKS TOTALLY FIT!!!! :stretcher:"

:mf_rosetinted:

Just what I thought. :naughty:

Like: "You've lost so much weight from going to the gym. You look really fit and healthy now"

OR:

Oh, I understood the working out thing. But I wasn't sure if it meant something COMPLETELY different than what I was thinking...I was pretty spot on. ha

OR:

But people who are "hot" are usually "fit" anyways :lol3:

• 4 weeks later...
But people who are "hot" are usually "fit" anyways :lol3:

that's true :roftl: popular girls usually call popular/jocky type guys "fit". I can't ever recall hearing a goth/grunger/emo using it lol.

I think chavs use that word too.

popular girl: Oh my God, I totally got hold of this totally fit guy last night.

chav: you're fit dahlin!

Hello everyone!

I think I like this thread! :D *subscribes* (phankz Caz for searching for it fo meh :bleh:)

Didn't go through ALL the pages yet..but I probably will..I love learning new stuff!

I have a question....well I hve more actually...but this is the only one that comes to my mind now..it's late and I'm tired...

So.....how do you pronounce EITHER???? I've heard it in two different ways...and my teacher keeps telling me I'm prouncing it the wrong way...(typical) oh well..I don't have english teachers anymore..but I'd just want to know which spelling is right!?

Either like : 'I there'

Either like : 'E there'

Ah and...I have a book called:"Beware, English"...there are awesome useful things in it....:naughty: Like: Samantha is a spoiled brat/stuck-up/tight-ass! :lol3:

I also like: you've lost the plot....:pinkbow:

and this dialog:

-You were wrecked last night!

-I know, and now I'm not the full shilling.

There are really naughty ones in it....but I refuse to post any. :bleh:

Hello everyone!

I think I like this thread! :D *subscribes* (phankz Caz for searching for it fo meh :bleh:)

Didn't go through ALL the pages yet..but I probably will..I love learning new stuff!

I have a question....well I hve more actually...but this is the only one that comes to my mind now..it's late and I'm tired...

So.....how do you pronounce EITHER???? I've heard it in two different ways...and my teacher keeps telling me I'm prouncing it the wrong way...(typical) oh well..I don't have english teachers anymore..but I'd just want to know which spelling is right!?

Either like : 'I there'

Either like : 'E there'

Ah and...I have a book called:"Beware, English"...there are awesome useful things in it....:naughty: Like: Samantha is a spoiled brat/stuck-up/tight-ass! :lol3:

I also like: you've lost the plot....:pinkbow:

and this dialog:

-You were wrecked last night!

-I know, and now I'm not the full shilling.

There are really naughty ones in it....but I refuse to post any. :bleh:

Either has two pronunciations, both are right.

"Ee-ther"

"Eye-ther".

It's like "scone" and "scone" (Scon/Sc-own) and probably other things...

also, we in the UK spell it "dialogue" lol.

"Ee-ther"

"Eye-ther".

Ha..so both are correct! :sneaky2: Stupid teachers! :biggrin2: Thank you!

I'll be back with more questions....but I'm almost asleep now...soo..Goodnight! :original:

"Ee-ther"

"Eye-ther".

Either...I’ve been wondering about that too and even asked the question before :naughty: so do you pronounce it differently in different occasions/accents or are you just free to choose either one? :biggrin2:

This one really requires a proper investigation; I’ve been trying to listen like a eagle to figure out if it’s an American/British English difference!:roftl:

Either...I’ve been wondering about that too and even asked the question before :naughty: so do you pronounce it differently in different occasions/accents or are you just free to choose either one? :biggrin2:

This one really requires a proper investigation; I’ve been trying to listen like a eagle to figure out if it’s an American/British English difference!:roftl:

I don't think it's an American/British difference. I suspect "eye-ther" was the original pronunciation and "ee-ther" is a later variant, once people started seeing it in print.

I'm not sure which pronunciation came first or which pronunciation "belongs" in which area, dialect wise...I know I use both...sometimes I find it depends on the context, though I can't think of an example right now.

I'm not sure which pronunciation came first or which pronunciation "belongs" in which area, dialect wise...I know I use both...sometimes I find it depends on the context, though I can't think of an example right now.

I thought I used it contextually as well - but the more I thought about it, the more I realised I didn't.:naughty: