Freddies English Teaching Course

what is difference between 'gig' and 'concert' ?

in Korea ppl use the word 'concert' much more than the word 'gig'. but it seems that native speakers use the word 'gig' when talking about the 'popstar' or 'rockstar' show. (classical show is definitly 'concert' ..I think...'

Mika also use the word 'gig' when talking about his show....but in Korea he also said like 'for my concert blah blah...' thing to me :aah: ..that's so confusing thing! :naughty:

so anyone could make it clear for me?

I'm not sure there is much of a distinction, it's more a matter of dialect. In the UK it seems that they use gig to talk about any artist's concert. In North America "gig" is not as common and usually when people talk about gigs it's smaller artists and small venues like a bar. So you would go to your brother's gig at a local bar but if you went to see Rihanna at an arena you would refer to it as a concert.

Annyoung, Yuna! :bye:

In my opinion (as I'm not really sure if it's a fact) a gig is a small performance with not a very big crowd. For example, when iMMa plays her own music she's performing in pubs/bars - that's more like a gig. A concert, to me, is when it's a really big production with loads of effects and a huge audience.

In terms of difference, perhaps you'll notice it in these videos!

GIG

[YOUTUBE]K-E1a1Tx13U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DRDZlP82wms&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

CONCERT

[YOUTUBE]gTegV_LuHFE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE] (Thanks Tiibet for the video!)

:teehee:

[YOUTUBE]fZi2rItmB4M[/YOUTUBE]

:teehee::teehee::teehee:

[YOUTUBE]LR8ITxTOvHc[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by CazGirl

I'm not sure there is much of a distinction, it's more a matter of dialect. In the UK it seems that they use gig to talk about any artist's concert. In North America "gig" is not as common and usually when people talk about gigs it's smaller artists and small venues like a bar. So you would go to your brother's gig at a local bar but if you went to see Rihanna at an arena you would refer to it as a concert.

Annyoung, Yuna! :bye:

In my opinion (as I'm not really sure if it's a fact) a gig is a small performance with not a very big crowd. For example, when iMMa plays her own music she's performing in pubs/bars - that's more like a gig. A concert, to me, is when it's a really big production with loads of effects and a huge audience.

In terms of difference, perhaps you'll notice it in these videos!

GIG

[YOUTUBE]K-E1a1Tx13U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DRDZlP82wms&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

CONCERT

[YOUTUBE]gTegV_LuHFE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE] (Thanks Tiibet for the video!)

:teehee:

[YOUTUBE]fZi2rItmB4M[/YOUTUBE]

:teehee::teehee::teehee:

[YOUTUBE]LR8ITxTOvHc[/YOUTUBE]

Ohh so I got it.. thank you girls! :wub2::wub2:

well mika sometimes refers to his 55000 paris show as a 'gig' though :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

* Yes caz now I got why ppl call Korean singer's show as a 'concert' now.. they always have HUGE crowds at a HUGE venue! :teehee:

Edited by Yuna

Ohh so I got it.. thank you girls! :wub2::wub2:

well mika sometimes refers to his 55000 paris show as a 'gig' though :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

* Yes caz now I got why ppl call Korean singer's show as a 'concert' now.. they always have HUGE crowds at a HUGE venue! :teehee:

Well that's just Mika :naughty: Like Christine said, the word "gig" tends to be a more popular word over here in the UK.

Yep - your Korean artists definitely have large venues! And large fanbases. DBSK's "Casseipoeia" fanclub being the biggest fanclub in the world I hear!

Well that's just Mika :naughty: Like Christine said, the word "gig" tends to be a more popular word over here in the UK.

Yep - your Korean artists definitely have large venues! And large fanbases. DBSK's "Casseipoeia" fanclub being the biggest fanclub in the world I hear!

yes I heard that their OFFICIAL Casseiopeia members are over 800,000 so on the Guiness world record as an artist's fanclub :naughty: there are 50 million ppl livin in S Korea, and 0.8 million ppl are the member of Casseiopoia. :shocked:

ec9ab0eba6aceb8a94ecb9b4ec8b9cec98a4ed8e98ec9584ec9e8_h_seojun.jpg?t=1301759664

huge...really :shocked::naughty:

Edited by Yuna

yes I heard that their OFFICIAL Casseiopeia members are over 800,000 so on the Guiness world record as an artist's fanclub :naughty: there are 50 million ppl livin in S Korea, and 0.8 million ppl are the member of Casseiopoia. :shocked:

ec9ab0eba6aceb8a94ecb9b4ec8b9cec98a4ed8e98ec9584ec9e8_h_seojun.jpg?t=1301759664

huge...really :shocked::naughty:

Love it! Shame they split up and now it's just Changmin and Yunho (my favourite members :naughty:) I'd have loved to have seen them all live.

If I ever got/will get the money to travel there :naughty:

• 4 months later...

Heyy, this thread was priceless, so I'm about to revitalize it :naughty:

Girls, what MOJO means on slang? Especially in context of Austin Powers?

Wikipedia gives too many variants of this word meaning, mostly personal and magazines names, and I need just a general meaning.

Heyy, this thread was priceless, so I'm about to revitalize it :naughty:

Girls, what MOJO means on slang? Especially in context of Austin Powers?

Wikipedia gives too many variants of this word meaning, mostly personal and magazines names, and I need just a general meaning.

In the context of Austin Powers you can go with a couple of urban dictionary definitions if this makes sense:

The word originally means a charm or a spell. But now its more commonly said meaning sex appeal or talent.

Self-confidence, Self-assuredness. As in basis for belief in ones self in a situation. Esp. I context of contest or display of skill such as sexual advances or going into battle.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mojo

• 1 month later...

My friend recently got a master degree in English. She's an English teacher, and did a study at university. She invited 5 friends (I am one of them:mf_lustslow:) for a real sophisticated english High Tea.

She send a lovely invitation card with a poem:

When the world is all at odds

And the mind is all at sea

Then cease the useless tedium

And brew a cup of tea.

There is magic in its fragrance.

There is solace in its taste.

And the laden moments vanish

Somehow into space.

The world becomes a lovely thing.

There's beauty as you'll see;

All because you briefly stopped

To brew a cup [...]

AND YOU ARE INVITED!

It's time for hig tea!

and then the time and date. And, very important: rsvp

I choose a nice card for my answer, but: I want my answer to be in English. And because she is a teacher with a degree....I want it to be in very well spoken/written English. Could anyone offer me some help? Please?

My friend recently got a master degree in English. She's an English teacher, and did a study at university. She invited 5 friends (I am one of them:mf_lustslow:) for a real sophisticated english High Tea.

She send a lovely invitation card with a poem:

When the world is all at odds

And the mind is all at sea

Then cease the useless tedium

And brew a cup of tea.

There is magic in its fragrance.

There is solace in its taste.

And the laden moments vanish

Somehow into space.

The world becomes a lovely thing.

There's beauty as you'll see;

All because you briefly stopped

To brew a cup [...]

AND YOU ARE INVITED!

It's time for hig tea!

and then the time and date. And, very important: rsvp

I choose a nice card for my answer, but: I want my answer to be in English. And because she is a teacher with a degree....I want it to be in very well spoken/written English. Could anyone offer me some help? Please?

Well, do you want to respond with a poem or a few nice sentences or something?

Not with a poem, maybe a few nice sentences.

Is there an 'official' way to respond?

(I have to log off now, but will be back later, thanks in advance!)

To my knowledge, there is no 'generic' way to respond per se, but the way i've always been told is to be polite and appreciative at the same time, so something like:

'Thank you for this amazing offer. I would love to attend' is a good start, but a little basic.

I hope this is helpful for the moment. I'll have a think about what you could write and post them up later. :biggrin2:

To my knowledge, there is no 'generic' way to respond per se, but the way i've always been told is to be polite and appreciative at the same time, so something like:

'Thank you for this amazing offer. I would love to attend' is a good start, but a little basic.

I hope this is helpful for the moment. I'll have a think about what you could write and post them up later. :biggrin2:

I suddenly thought about a Dutch band (TeeSet) from the sixties who had a song about tea ('Tea is famous in the whole wide world'), I'll take a couple of lines out of the song as a short poem and then I would like to end with this:

I'm honored to be asked

ad I'll surely attend!

Love, AMP

any spelling- or other mistakes?:dunno:

tnx

I suddenly thought about a Dutch band (TeeSet) from the sixties who had a song about tea ('Tea is famous in the whole wide world'), I'll take a couple of lines out of the song as a short poem and then I would like to end with this:

I'm honored to be asked

ad I'll surely attend!

Love, AMP

any spelling- or other mistakes?:dunno:

tnx

Well, in UK (but not US) English it would be "honoured" - so not a mistake, just a variation :naughty: and I think you've missed the "n" from "and"

I asked on the twitter thread but everybody shunned me :shun:

I´m serious, I don´t get the meaning of "Bit the sh*t outta my lip"... I wonder if it´s something like "to spit" :aah:

well, not me but whatever :shun:

:roftl:

I asked on the twitter thread but everybody shunned me :shun:

I´m serious, I don´t get the meaning of "Bit the sh*t outta my lip"... I wonder if it´s something like "to spit" :aah:

No it means she bit her lip, probably really badly.

If you were to beat the sh*t out of someone they would probably suffer some injuries. :naughty:

No it means she bit her lip, probably really badly.

If you were to beat the sh*t out of someone they would probably suffer some injuries. :naughty:

OOOOHH!!! Thank you!! And now only one more question... is it the same (in that sentence) to "bit" than to "beat"?? I know what those verbs mean, but since you used "beat" I take the meaning of the sentence it´s the same?

OOOOHH!!! Thank you!! And now only one more question... is it the same (in that sentence) to "bit" than to "beat"?? I know what those verbs mean, but since you used "beat" I take the meaning of the sentence it´s the same?

No. Bite/bit/bitten all refer to what you do with your teeth :biggrin2:

Beat/beaten would refer to hitting, in this example.

Unfortunately "beat" is a word with multiple meanings, it depends on the context it is used in.

both words sound the same way but

bit is the past tense and past participle of bite (To cut, tear, etc. with the teeth)

beat: to hit, strike, punch, etc.

No. Bite/bit/bitten all refer to what you do with your teeth :biggrin2:

Beat/beaten would refer to hitting, in this example.

Unfortunately "beat" is a word with multiple meanings, it depends on the context it is used in.

both words sound the same way but

bit is the past tense and past participle of bite (To cut, tear, etc. with the teeth)

beat: to hit, strike, punch, etc.

Oh, yes, thank you!! I knew the meaning of the verbs, but my question was if "to beat the sh*t out of someone" means like "injuring someone" :wink2: