Emerald

So it depends only on how formal the question is.

But I want to ask about est-ce que in combination with interrogation particles again. I've seen it with "qu'est-ce que" (= onque est-ce que) or "ou est-ce que" some times. But can I do that with all interrogation particles? Is it possible to say 'Pourquoi est-ce que tu gâche ta vie?' for example?

We can use the different combinations:

où est-ce que tu vas? = où vas-tu?= tu vas où?

quand est-ce que tu pars?= quand pars-tu?= tu pars quand?

comment est-ce qu'on fait?= comment fait-on?= on fait comment?

D'où est-ce que ça vient?= d'où ça vient?= ça vient d'où?

They all mean the same but they depend on the context. The bolded questions are more informal, oral, everyday formulations :wink2:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 - onze

12 - douze

13 - treize

14 - quatorze

15 - quinze

16 - seize

17 - dix-sept (like 10 +7)

18 - dix-huit

19 - dix-neuf

20 - vingt

21 - vingt et un (like 20 and 1)

30 - trente

40 - quarante

50 - cinquante

60 - soixante

70 - soixante-dix (like 60 + 10)

71 - soixante-onze (60 + 11)

80 - quatre-vingt (4 x 20)

90 - quatre-vingt dix

91 - quatre-vingt onze (90 + 11)

100 - cent

1000 - mille

1000000 - milllion

1000000000 - milliard (not really sure. :D)

Well I'm not that good at french, but I know the numbers :wink2:

1 - un

2- deux

3 - trois

4- quatre

5 - cinq

6 - six

7 - sept

8 - huit

9 - neuf

10 - dix

http://french.about.com/od/vocabulary/ss/numbers.htm

thanks a lot for you guys:)

I am finding the biggest problem with learning a second language is just learning to think in a different language rather than remembering vocabulary or specific rules. It would be so much easier to learn to think in French by using English words but French grammar. I think it would sink in a lot faster and people wouldn't make the mistakes that they do.

the french grammar seems quite difficult for me,so maybe basic vocabulay still works quite well,when i first studied english i surely couldn't think that way cuz i completely had no idea about what i was talking about,i suppose only when the base is made can we be able to learn about grammar:wink2:

The best way to learn the vocabulary of a new language is.. to read ! You can't even imagine how much my english has improved in 6 months on the MFC. This is awesome. :shocked: It's sure that you need to look really often in a dictionnary (or google traduction :teehee: ) but it really worths it.

it's a pity that i can't stay here longer,i will start school next week and meanwhile i will have no chance to come here until the summer:(it improved mine as well,especially when i reviewed those old interviews my listening just rises in a high speed,time is the only problem now,any good advice to learn french in short time?

it's a pity that i can't stay here longer,i will start school next week and meanwhile i will have no chance to come here until the summer:(it improved mine as well,especially when i reviewed those old interviews my listening just rises in a high speed,time is the only problem now,any good advice to learn french in short time?

read books, watch french TV or find a tutorial online or maybe you can buy one:thumb_yello:

• 4 weeks later...

I've just tried to understand the Caprice interview myself to practice my French. It's really astonishing how much I did understand :D

However there are two small parts where I have problems with understanding and I hope you can help me:

On vous a déjà vu souvent en Suisse.

I don't understand why the "on" is here. For now I just know that it's used for "we" or the general "you". But that doesn't make sense in this sentence for me. Without the "on" the sentence would make much more sense for me: "Vous a déjà vu souvent en Suisse" - "You have already been in Switzerland a lot of times".

Mais mon entourage m’a dit que cela ne m’allait pas pas.

What does "ne m'allait pas pas" mean? Is it a phrase?

I've just tried to understand the Caprice interview myself to practice my French. It's really astonishing how much I did understand :D

However there are two small parts where I have problems with understanding and I hope you can help me:

On vous a déjà vu souvent en Suisse.

I don't understand why the "on" is here. For now I just know that it's used for "we" or the general "you". But that doesn't make sense in this sentence for me. Without the "on" the sentence would make much more sense for me: "Vous a déjà vu souvent en Suisse" - "You have already been in Switzerland a lot of times".

Mais mon entourage m’a dit que cela ne m’allait pas pas.

What does "ne m'allait pas pas" mean? Is it a phrase?

'On vous a déjà vu souvent' is a perfectly correct phrase, which means 'You have already often been seen'. Where English uses passive we tend to use active in French so the literal translation would be 'we have already often seen you'

'Cela ne m'allait pas' : there's apparently a double 'pas' in the sentence they wrote so that's a mistake. Otherwise it's a correct phrase meaning 'it doesn't suit me'

Hope that helped :wink2:

Yes, it did! :huglove:

After reading your translation of 'On vous a déjà vu souvent' I realized that I had a big fallacy. I somehow thought the "a" belongs to "vous", but that's nonsense, it belongs to "on" as it's "a" and not "avez". And the "vous" is not the "Who?-vous" but the "Whom?-vous" and it is in front of "a" and not in front of "vu" because of the exception rule "have always steals the pronoun".

PCGlhbirne.gif

Thanks, now it's total clear :D

And I'm happy that the double "pas" is just a mistake, it confused me very much :aah: Thanks for translation as well :original:

• 1 year later...

I was about to open a thread like this :thumb_yello:

Since i might be going to Montreal I did my first French lesson today, it was on how to say things like "Do you speak english?" and "I don't understand french?". I've already forgotten most of what i learned though, especially regarding pronounciation. I want instant results :sneaky2:

If i don't get frustrated and totally give up i'll probably be using this thread a lot. FRENCH IS SO HARD!

Thanks to all the french speakers who're helping out :)

I was about to open a thread like this :thumb_yello:

Since i might be going to Montreal I did my first French lesson today, it was on how to say things like "Do you speak english?" and "I don't understand french?". I've already forgotten most of what i learned though, especially regarding pronounciation. I want instant results :sneaky2:

If i don't get frustrated and totally give up i'll probably be using this thread a lot. FRENCH IS SO HARD!

Thanks to all the french speakers who're helping out :)

I am using this app. My French is not beginner's so you might struggle a bit but I tried the Dutch and managed even though I didn't know a word before. You'd just need to look up some of the grammar rules to try to make sense of some of the differences you see from one example to the next. Just the whole concept of masculine and feminine is totally bizarre for us. :aah:https://www.duolingo.com

Just so you know you will probably not have to deal with anyone who doesn't speak English or even tell them that you don't speak French. Everyone in the service industry seems to be bilingual and will usually greet you with "bonjour, hello" so if you respond in English they will speak English.

I am using this app. My French is not beginner's so you might struggle a bit but I tried the Dutch and managed even though I didn't know a word before. You'd just need to look up some of the grammar rules to try to make sense of some of the differences you see from one example to the next. Just the whole concept of masculine and feminine is totally bizarre for us. :aah:https://www.duolingo.com

Just so you know you will probably not have to deal with anyone who doesn't speak English or even tell them that you don't speak French. Everyone in the service industry seems to be bilingual and will usually greet you with "bonjour, hello" so if you respond in English they will speak English.

Ah, thank you. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info. I'll still probably try & learn some of the basics. I'm sure Mika will speak some French during the gig & I don't want to have to ask my seat neighbors all the time what he means. Also with my luck I'll get the one person who speaks absolutely no english whatsoever. :aah:

Edited by kreacher

Ah, thank you. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info. I'll still probably try & learn some of the basics. I'm sure Mika will speak some French during the gig & I don't want to have to ask my seat neighbors all the time what he means. Also with my luck I'll get the one person who speaks absolutely no english whatsoever. :aah:

I've been working on French on and off for about 30 years and I can still only understand about half of what he says so good luck. :aah:

I was also looking for a thread like this and couldn't find, so thank you for bumping it! :thumb_yello:

I've wanted to learn French for a long time now so I will definately (try :teehee:) to use this thread if i can :D would love to be able to speak and understand some if I'm going to Montreal!

i tried duolingo, i like it. thank you :thumb_yello: it doesn't work on my tablet, but on the comp it's working great. i already learned how to say "Je suis rouge" and "Je suis un enfant", those will definitely come in handy!

I've been working on French on and off for about 30 years and I can still only understand about half of what he says so good luck. :aah:

oh there's no hope for me then :teehee:

general question: i can't roll my "R"s at all, is that a big problem? I guess what i need to know is, for example, does "trrrres" mean 'very' but "tres" mean something totally offensive? :aah:

Edited by kreacher

• 2 weeks later...
Are they many differences between France French and Quebec French?

Thanks for any insights anyone can offer :thumb_yello:

Not necessarily. French people understand Quebec people, but, in Quebec, there are some expressions that French people don't says. :wink2:

I lived this experience with a Quebecker ^^