Guitar Tabs & Piano Music for the new songs, calling all musicians!

Lonely Alcoholic chords are G, Em, Am, D

in case anyone hasn't posted it yet :thumb_yello:

hey guys,

for Lonely Alcoholic, Mika uses a turnaround (Beethoven invented it first haha) Its basically chord I then VI then II and then V of any key Thats why its also called a I VI II V (1 6 2 5 lol). He plays it in G and uses the 7th extensions. So the chords are:

G Em7 Am7 D7 then back to G

To voice these out nicely play them like this:

G (normal G triad (G,B,D), then keep the same G triad in the righ hand, but just play E with the left hand, so you are playing G over E (G,B,D and E in the left hand), then play C over A for the Am7 chord (G,C,E over A in the left hand).

For the last chord, the D7, just play D7 (F#,A,C,D) with D in the left hand of course. He modulates to A at the end, just do the same thing in A lol

Hope this helped.

Bye!

just discovered these! t4p:thumb_yello:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Still working on it, but I think the chords for We Are Golden are C, F, Am, G

at least for the chorus and the verse, no clue on the bridge yet.

That's what I got too, but I don't really know if it sounds exactly right. It's kind of the generic chord progression that sounds right with just about everything, so I'm not sure.

But that is what I got when I was figuring it out too. :thumb_yello:

Still working on it, but I think the chords for We Are Golden are C, F, Am, G

at least for the chorus and the verse, no clue on the bridge yet.

That's what I hear too.

I think the bridge is: Am, F, C, G, Am, F, G+C keys, G

Edited by Fmbm

Hello everybody...I ve just found that amazing thread ! I'd like to know if somedy has the Lady Jane and Lonely alcoholic music sheets for the piano ? I'd like to be able to play them ! They are my favourite !

Thank u very much

xoxo

Estelle

• 4 weeks later...
i'm trying to work out WAG on the guitar but i'm REALLLY bad with bar chords, and so 'F' is killing me. anyone know a easy way to play F that isnt a ^*%&^)(% bar chord?

DOESN'T F SUCK!

The only way I know is to just play the bottom two strings with your index finger. But that's not a lot different. :dunno:

i'm trying to work out WAG on the guitar but i'm REALLLY bad with bar chords, and so 'F' is killing me. anyone know a easy way to play F that isnt a ^*%&^)(% bar chord?

I play F using my index and middle finger on the last 2 strings, my ring finger on the one above, and my pinky finger on the string above that. Though sometimes I think I don't include the pinky...:dunno:

There are a lot of chords on guitar that are just impossible :aah:

Hello everybody...I ve just found that amazing thread ! I'd like to know if somedy has the Lady Jane and Lonely alcoholic music sheets for the piano ? I'd like to be able to play them ! They are my favourite !

Thank u very much

xoxo

Estelle

I could do a Lonely Alcoholic/Lady Jane tutorial, if you want that. But otherwise I could just tell you the chords!

Lonely Alkie is

G, Em, Am, D

and then at the end, it switches to

A, F#m, Bm, E

I don't know all the names for the Lady Jane chords though? Nono?

(Better not put "weird A", I figured. :naughty:)

DOESN'T F SUCK!

The only way I know is to just play the bottom two strings with your index finger. But that's not a lot different. :dunno:

I play F using my index and middle finger on the last 2 strings, my ring finger on the one above, and my pinky finger on the string above that. Though sometimes I think I don't include the pinky...:dunno:

There are a lot of chords on guitar that are just impossible :aah:

THANKYOU SO MUCH GUYS! :huglove:

yessum, thats why i love the piano. so much easier than guitar. :naughty:

I could do a Lonely Alcoholic/Lady Jane tutorial, if you want that. But otherwise I could just tell you the chords!

Lonely Alkie is

G, Em, Am, D

and then at the end, it switches to

A, F#m, Bm, E

I don't know all the names for the Lady Jane chords though? Nono?

(Better not put "weird A", I figured. :naughty:)

i think the lady jane chords are back a few pages.

if its just a song played in chords, you dont really need tutorials, do you? If it gets fiddy (broken chords) then you do..

what i do, if i cant figure it out myself, is i write the chords on my arm in permenant marker so they get ingrained into my mind and i can constantly check them :lol3:

(and then i get yelled at in PE by the teacher for having writing on my arm, so i have to go to the bathroom and scrub it off :sneaky2:)

after PE i draw it back on again :teehee:

if its just a song played in chords, you dont really need tutorials, do you? If it gets fiddy (broken chords) then you do..

what i do, if i cant figure it out myself, is i write the chords on my arm in permenant marker so they get ingrained into my mind and i can constantly check them :lol3:

(and then i get yelled at in PE by the teacher for having writing on my arm, so i have to go to the bathroom and scrub it off :sneaky2:)

If you don't know the chords, I guess. :dunno:

But a lot of the Lady Jane ones are inverted, so that could be a problem too. Plus there's that random LH part in the intro.

And HEY! That's a good idea!!

Hope it helps. And yes, piano is way better. And your fingers aren't sore by the time you're done playing :shun:

Yeah, I think I put the chords a few pages back :dunno:

My teacher is trying to get me better at writing music, so maybe I'll make some proper sheet music for Mika songs...

Oh that's smart! Especially if you're playing the guitar. :punk:

Stupid PE teacher :sneaky2:

Oh...this thread...:original:

I just want to ask someone if you could help me a bit: I want to learn how to play "Lady Jane" on piano...but I don't understand the notes as you write them (F, G, B...etc) I would've preferred a tutorial or if you could take the time to explain me the mystery around these notations (stated above) because I reckon there arent just plain chords here, there are notes played one by one...

Please? help? :giveup:

I just want to ask someone if you could help me a bit: I want to learn how to play "Lady Jane" on piano...but I don't understand the notes as you write them (F, G, B...etc) I would've preferred a tutorial or if you could take the time to explain me the mystery around these notations (stated above) because I reckon there arent just plain chords here, there are notes played one by one...

That's not easy explain :naughty:

Sheet music would be the easiest way to learn to play...

I could attempt to write it down, but I'm not really sure where to begin :lol3:

Writing sheet music isn't exactly my forté :huh:

If this is any help at all to start off with.

piano-keys.gif

cpt-treble-17notes-500x375.gif

Then once you get the notes you can figure it out :bleh:

That's not easy explain :naughty:

Sheet music would be the easiest way to learn to play...

I could attempt to write it down, but I'm not really sure where to begin :lol3:

Writing sheet music isn't exactly my forté :huh:

Oh...and reading it isn't mine either! :lol3: I mean I can but it takes a long while...so don't bother with that...I guess I'll just live with the idea that this is not for me...:aah::naughty:

If this is any help at all to start off with.

piano-keys.gif

cpt-treble-17notes-500x375.gif

Then once you get the notes you can figure it out :bleh:

Oh...Thanks a lot but I know the theory, but if you throw me a bunch of those notes and telling me that they make a song, I'll try to play them corectly and find out it doesn't sound the same...:biggrin2::aah:

Oh...Thanks a lot but I know the theory, but if you throw me a bunch of those notes and telling me that they make a song, I'll try to play them corectly and find out it doesn't sound the same...:biggrin2::aah:

I know exactly what you mean, with pop music it's not always written correctly (if you get the 'official' stuff - Hal Leonard is a nightmare for this) and they try to include EVERYTHING on one instrument so you never just get the piano part, you get piano, vocals, bass, sometimes a bit of guitar, it's just a case of really trying to work out what fits and sounds most like the song. My teacher's helping me with My Interpretation at the moment and she said you just have to blag it, epecially when it comes to the rhythm on the vocals, as long as you compensate with rests/lengthening other notes it's all right.

When I'm learning something new I try to sit down with the sheet music and the song and listen to what each note is in the song, it helps LOADS and you can really find your feet if you know *exactly* what you're playing.

I know exactly what you mean, with pop music it's not always written correctly (if you get the 'official' stuff - Hal Leonard is a nightmare for this) and they try to include EVERYTHING on one instrument so you never just get the piano part, you get piano, vocals, bass, sometimes a bit of guitar, it's just a case of really trying to work out what fits and sounds most like the song. My teacher's helping me with My Interpretation at the moment and she said you just have to blag it, epecially when it comes to the rhythm on the vocals, as long as you compensate with rests/lengthening other notes it's all right.

When I'm learning something new I try to sit down with the sheet music and the song and listen to what each note is in the song, it helps LOADS and you can really find your feet if you know *exactly* what you're playing.

I have had the LICM piano book since X-mas and so far I have managed to play right only Over My shoulder...I tried Billy Brown...stopped because it sounds wrong...I tried Erase...I can't make it it's to sad :aah: ...I tried Any other world and I've got pissed because it doesn't sound right again...I tired my interpretation but got lost again...

I will ask my teacher to help me out with it because I love singing and playing pop songs on piano. I clearly AM NOT a self-teaching-able person! :original:

I have learned from Youtube to play: "Happy Ending", "Instant Martyr", "Grace Kelly", "Lonely alcoholic", "Toy Boy", "We are golden" (I can sing along only to the last 4) but I'd love to be able to play and sing along to Stuck in the middle for example.

The thing is that one of my fixations were that I DON'T SING. EVER! I have attended some guitar classes and unavoidably, the teacher got me singing and even taught me some singing exercises that I don't neccessarily like, but they do help a lot. And for few weeks now I kept on playing and singing along to: "GK", "LA","TB" and "WAG" and I love it and it got better and better. I'm planing actually to get myself some videos (prolly tomm) and put them up! :biggrin2:

I have had the LICM piano book since X-mas and so far I have managed to play right only Over My shoulder...I tried Billy Brown...stopped because it sounds wrong...I tried Erase...I can't make it it's to sad :aah: ...I tried Any other world and I've got pissed because it doesn't sound right again...I tired my interpretation but got lost again...

I will ask my teacher to help me out with it because I love singing and playing pop songs on piano. I clearly AM NOT a self-teaching-able person! :original:

I have learned from Youtube to play: "Happy Ending", "Instant Martyr", "Grace Kelly", "Lonely alcoholic", "Toy Boy", "We are golden" (I can sing along only to the last 4) but I'd love to be able to play and sing along to Stuck in the middle for example.

The thing is that one of my fixations were that I DON'T SING. EVER! I have attended some guitar classes and unavoidably, the teacher got me singing and even taught me some singing exercises that I don't neccessarily like, but they do help a lot. And for few weeks now I kept on playing and singing along to: "GK", "LA","TB" and "WAG" and I love it and it got better and better. I'm planing actually to get myself some videos (prolly tomm) and put them up! :biggrin2:

My Interpretation can be simplified - I've been playing a simple version for ages. If you can do the intro chords with your left hand (but don't worry about the extra notes in the bar - you can add those later once you're used to playing the simpler version) then it's a lot easier because it's still the same song but a little less fancy. Right hand stays the same and it's just a case of getting confident with separate hands before putting the two together. Also, I'd recommend just playing the vocal melody in your right hand rather than the piano part for right hand - it's just more complex and you can step up to that once you've got everything else down.

SITM takes a bit of getting used to and there's a lot of jumping around. It doesn't really sound right until you've got it up to speed and you need to have that bouncy kind of swing to it - the notes aren't played dead straight like they're written, it's kind of a short long short long short and then the little diddly bit.

Where do you get lost on your pieces? Do you just get frustrated and give up or is there a particular thing that gets you on them?

My piano teacher forces me to do difficult things bar by bar, even though the temptation is to stumble through the whole thing, but it's worth putting the effort in to do it bar by bar, it's frustrating at times and can get a little tedious but it helps.

Don't be afraid to write on your music either (in pencil though!) drawing lines to match up the notes for left and right hand can help with coordination while you're learning a piece and if there's a difficult rhythm write out the count above the notes. Those are my top tips for the day, though I am definitely not an expert. I've just always been quite musically inclined.

You should definitely put up some vids and ask people what they think, it's a great way to get advice and even if something sounds a little wrong, put it up becaue somebody else might be able to tell you what it is when you can't really work it out yourself. Sometimes it just takes a fresh pair of ears to iron out the creases. :thumb_yello:

My Interpretation can be simplified - I've been playing a simple version for ages. If you can do the intro chords with your left hand (but don't worry about the extra notes in the bar - you can add those later once you're used to playing the simpler version) then it's a lot easier because it's still the same song but a little less fancy. Right hand stays the same and it's just a case of getting confident with separate hands before putting the two together. Also, I'd recommend just playing the vocal melody in your right hand rather than the piano part for right hand - it's just more complex and you can step up to that once you've got everything else down.

SITM takes a bit of getting used to and there's a lot of jumping around. It doesn't really sound right until you've got it up to speed and you need to have that bouncy kind of swing to it - the notes aren't played dead straight like they're written, it's kind of a short long short long short and then the little diddly bit.

Where do you get lost on your pieces? Do you just get frustrated and give up or is there a particular thing that gets you on them?

My piano teacher forces me to do difficult things bar by bar, even though the temptation is to stumble through the whole thing, but it's worth putting the effort in to do it bar by bar, it's frustrating at times and can get a little tedious but it helps.

Don't be afraid to write on your music either (in pencil though!) drawing lines to match up the notes for left and right hand can help with coordination while you're learning a piece and if there's a difficult rhythm write out the count above the notes. Those are my top tips for the day, though I am definitely not an expert. I've just always been quite musically inclined.

You should definitely put up some vids and ask people what they think, it's a great way to get advice and even if something sounds a little wrong, put it up becaue somebody else might be able to tell you what it is when you can't really work it out yourself. Sometimes it just takes a fresh pair of ears to iron out the creases. :thumb_yello:

I'll give it another try to "My interpretation" and try it as you recommended. And SITM...well...the rhythm shouldn't be that big of a problem, as it would be figuring out the notes...

My problem is that I KNOW the notes and I CAN read them but it takes very long and if I try to figure a piano-sheet on my own and think that it doesn't sound right I give up...:aah:

I have written in pencil under the doodles (notes) which one they are...it's apparently easier...

I'll get the videos these days and put them up undoubtedly! :biggrin2:

Thank you so much for your advice! :huglove:

Are you trying to learn SITM by ear then? You can get the first page of sheet music on http://www.sheetmusicdirect.com and it has a little player which plays exactly what's written - that helps to give you some idea of how what's written translates into actual music.

You do have to persevere with sheet music, just practice a little at a time until it's right. You will get better, but if you give up when it gets too difficult then your progression will be slower. You have to try and battle through and you will come out victorious in the end. Try and find patterns in the music, and also make sure your fingering is convenient so you're not having to do major jumps between notes. It might take a bit of time to figure out which fingers should play what but it will ensure smoother playing and you'll find your way around the piano a lot easier.

You're welcome - as I said I'm no musical genius, I just know what helps me when I'm trying to learn something new and I've got a really good teacher, so really I'm just passing on the things she says, but still. :D

Are you trying to learn SITM by ear then? You can get the first page of sheet music on http://www.sheetmusicdirect.com and it has a little player which plays exactly what's written - that helps to give you some idea of how what's written translates into actual music.

You do have to persevere with sheet music, just practice a little at a time until it's right. You will get better, but if you give up when it gets too difficult then your progression will be slower. You have to try and battle through and you will come out victorious in the end. Try and find patterns in the music, and also make sure your fingering is convenient so you're not having to do major jumps between notes. It might take a bit of time to figure out which fingers should play what but it will ensure smoother playing and you'll find your way around the piano a lot easier.

You're welcome - as I said I'm no musical genius, I just know what helps me when I'm trying to learn something new and I've got a really good teacher, so really I'm just passing on the things she says, but still. :D

hmm...by ear...that's new. I don't think I can handle it though! Thank you so much for helping! :huglove: I called my teacher and sent her the piano sheets of SITM, MI, AOW and BB and we'll meet and she'll help me sort everything out.

The thing is that I cannot teach myself to move on... :sad: I stuck in a moment and can't go on. I've learned to play piano for 4 years and I've always had my teacher beside me to help me...since Mika :naughty: I started with Youtube tutorials and then got the pianobook on Xmas...but :dunno:

Unfortunately what helps me the most lately are the video Youtube tutorials...:biggrin2:

Thank you so much once again! :flowers2:

Edited by B!anka

Yeah, sometimes a bit of a guiding hand is needed just to settle you in. I guarantee that once you've got through those pieces, you'll find it a lot easier to learn stuff on your own, it's just a case of finding out what ways of learning suit you best. Pay attention to the way in which your teacher explains things, as well as what she says because you will be able to apply the same logic to other songs.

Once again you're very welcome. :)