.::Star Trek::.- more like a Zach Quinto thread

B!anka

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a crush on Mr Spock when I was in my early teens. I watched and enjoyed all the series of Star Trek, except for Enterprise, and I enjoyed the new movie as well. Here is the list of my favourite Star trek characters and the series they were in.

I'd love to be on the list btw as I have always been a Trekker.

Original series Mr Spock (Leonard Nimoy)

STAR TREK TNG Captain Picard, Data, Geordie L Forge.

STAR TREK DS9 Odo, Major Kira (I was deffinately an OK shipper)

STAR TREK VOY Seven of Nine, Holodoc, Neelix (wanted Seven and Doc to get together, was gutted when they paired her with Chakotay!)

Nice list :thumb_yello:

Here is my favorite list:

ST: Spock, Bones, Scotty

ST TNG: Worf, Data

ST DS9: Worf, Odo, Quark, Rom, Garak

ST VOY: The Doctor, Neelix, Tuvok

and my less favorite list:

ST: Kirk

ST TNG: Wesley Crusher, Troi, Riker

ST DS9: Ezri Dax

ST VOY: Kes

Last night I watched that TNG episode, Masks, where an alien archive starts taking over the ship and converting it into aspects of it's own culture - and Data is taken over by the various personalities of members of that race. So he has to play about 5 different characters, sometimes alternating between two or three in one continous shot.

It just reminded me how absolutely underrated an actor Brent Spiner is. I find (myself anyway) completely forgetting he's not actually an android, but a human playing an android, which is the mark of acting perfection, and to think he's a human playing that part to such perfection just leaves me in awe of his ability.

/fangirlism.

Last night I watched that TNG episode, Masks, where an alien archive starts taking over the ship and converting it into aspects of it's own culture - and Data is taken over by the various personalities of members of that race. So he has to play about 5 different characters, sometimes alternating between two or three in one continous shot.

It just reminded me how absolutely underrated an actor Brent Spiner is. I find (myself anyway) completely forgetting he's not actually an android, but a human playing an android, which is the mark of acting perfection, and to think he's a human playing that part to such perfection just leaves me in awe of his ability.

/fangirlism.

Brent Spiner is a brilliant character actor! I loved him in Independance Day, playing Doctor Okan (I think that's how it would be spelled) He also plays Data's creator Doctor Soong, in TNG, and you can't tell it's him!

Another great character actor in Trek is Geoffrey Combs. He plays two totally different and great characters in DS9, the Vorta clones named Weyoun, and the Ferengi Liquidator Brunt. He also guest starred in Voyager, in the episode Tsunkatse.

Another great character actor in Trek is Geoffrey Combs. He plays two totally different and great characters in DS9, the Vorta clones named Weyoun, and the Ferengi Liquidator Brunt. He also guest starred in Voyager, in the episode Tsunkatse.

I saw Brunt today, in the episode where Rom starts a strike against Quark :naughty: I love the brawl between Worf, O' Brien and Bashir. O' Brien to Worf: 'It wasn't much of a brawl really - I grabbed you, you shoved me, and Julian was tossed over a table...' Bahaha.

I don't know the Vorta clones though...

Brent Spiner is a brilliant character actor! I loved him in Independance Day, playing Doctor Okan (I think that's how it would be spelled) He also plays Data's creator Doctor Soong, in TNG, and you can't tell it's him!

I have Independence day on DVD :teehee: I was almost crying when his character died in this movie :tears:

Brent also plays an ancestor of Dr Soong in Enterprise.

And Jeffrey Combs also plays Shran in Enterprise, Tiron in DS9 and many more smaller roles :thumb_yello:

J.G. Hertzler (General Martok) also played multiple smaller roles. One was a changeling in DS9

I saw Brunt today, in the episode where Rom starts a strike against Quark :naughty: I love the brawl between Worf, O' Brien and Bashir. O' Brien to Worf: 'It wasn't much of a brawl really - I grabbed you, you shoved me, and Julian was tossed over a table...' Bahaha.

I don't know the Vorta clones though...

I'm starting to miss my DS9 DVD's :tears:

That's who he is!!!

I recognised him, but didn't realise it was him in that movie!

I did realise that Adam Baldwin is in it, but that's cause he's cool!

Oooh, sorry, wrong sci fi show :doh:

Which character is he in Tsunkatse? I vaguely remember that one...

Weirdly enough, I was just reminded of an actor who is in Voyager and ID4 and does voice work in Star Wars games... oooops, I did it again :teehee:...

:naughty:

She got more annoying with every episode :teehee:

I was soooooo glad they got rid of her, but she HAD to come back for one episode :sneaky2:

That she did! I remember the ep where she goes back in time and she's married to Tom, and I was hoping that that wasn't true!

And that last one with Kes was crap as well...

I just watched The Measure Of A Man again, the TNG ep where Data is subject to a hearing about whether he's a person or the property of Starfleet (and the dude who wants to dismantle him.)

Such an epic episode, and it always makes me cry! Data's like a child, and logical to a fault (obviously) but at the same time that logic and childlike questioning makes him say the most thought-provoking and endearing things. <3

I just watched The Measure Of A Man again, the TNG ep where Data is subject to a hearing about whether he's a person or the property of Starfleet (and the dude who wants to dismantle him.)

Such an epic episode, and it always makes me cry! Data's like a child, and logical to a fault (obviously) but at the same time that logic and childlike questioning makes him say the most thought-provoking and endearing things. <3

Hmmmm... you know what that reminds me of?

The episode in Voyager (can't remember the exact one) where the Doctor writes a holo-novel and eventually wants to pull it out of circulation, and they have to decide whether or not he's a human before they can rule if he can pull out of the contract or change it, or something along those lines.. I can't remmeber exactly which season, but I have a feeling it's season 7, cause they're in constant contact with Earth...

Back to Data, I think I've seen that ep! It's pretty good!

Actually, I've been watching Enterprise... mostly cause dad has been buying the box sets off eBay and watching them. I don't hate them as much as I thought I did, but I just wish that T'Pal and Trip would get together (They had a baby together, but she was a clone)! Though the last episde O've watched had Riker and Deanna Troi in it, they're studying the last voyage of Enterprise before they sign an agreement, which I think is to create the United Federation of Planets.

And speaking of the federation, I found this... it's basically a Star Trek version of Wikipedia...

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Portal:Main

And the ep where Chakotay and Janeway are left on the planet is called "Resolutions"... if anyone is interested...

The episode in Voyager (can't remember the exact one) where the Doctor writes a holo-novel and eventually wants to pull it out of circulation, and they have to decide whether or not he's a human before they can rule if he can pull out of the contract or change it, or something along those lines..

Yup, that's coz that ep was more than likely inspired by The Measure Of A Man. Like I've said before, anything Data faced, the Doctor could too. But I think Data's one is better because of the actors (Patrick Stewart vs. Johnathon Frakes in the courtroom) and Brent being his usual awesome self. The scripting and everything is better.

Actually, I've been watching Enterprise...

Noooo don't let it pollute your mind... :roftl:

Ta for the link, very useful to have! :thumb_yello:

That's who he is!!!

I recognised him, but didn't realise it was him in that movie!

I did realise that Adam Baldwin is in it, but that's cause he's cool!

Oooh, sorry, wrong sci fi show :doh:

Which character is he in Tsunkatse? I vaguely remember that one...

Weirdly enough, I was just reminded of an actor who is in Voyager and ID4 and does voice work in Star Wars games... oooops, I did it again :teehee:...

That she did! I remember the ep where she goes back in time and she's married to Tom, and I was hoping that that wasn't true!

And that last one with Kes was crap as well...

That last episode with Kes was rediculous, and actually ruined the character's whole story arc. It would have been so much better for them to just leave her as a character who had gone away to embrace her destiny, and if they HAD to bring her back, they could just have had an episode where she appeared in a flashback as she used to be.

It wasn't that she was a particularly weak character, it's more that she became that way, because the writers didn't know what to do with her. She began as one half of a romantic couple Kes and Neelix, but when the writers split them up, Neelix became a stronger character because he was no longer being jealous of anyone who looked at Kes, and he started to come into his own. But Kes just got weaker, when she could have had great potential, with her mind powers.

Having said that, when she left, and Seven came into the show, Voyager really took off and never looked back.

I can't remember the name of the character Coombs played in Tsunkatse, but he was the one who captured Seven and Tuvok and forced her to fight.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

The episode in Voyager (can't remember the exact one) where the Doctor writes a holo-novel and eventually wants to pull it out of circulation, and they have to decide whether or not he's a human before they can rule if he can pull out of the contract or change it, or something along those lines.. I can't remmeber exactly which season, but I have a feeling it's season 7, cause they're in constant contact with Earth...

Back to Data, I think I've seen that ep! It's pretty good!

Actually, I've been watching Enterprise... mostly cause dad has been buying the box sets off eBay and watching them. I don't hate them as much as I thought I did, but I just wish that T'Pal and Trip would get together (They had a baby together, but she was a clone)! Though the last episde O've watched had Riker and Deanna Troi in it, they're studying the last voyage of Enterprise before they sign an agreement, which I think is to create the United Federation of Planets.

And speaking of the federation, I found this... it's basically a Star Trek version of Wikipedia...

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Portal:Main

And the ep where Chakotay and Janeway are left on the planet is called "Resolutions"... if anyone is interested...

I love that episode where Doc writes the Holo-Novel. It is so funny seeing the characters being not quite themselves.

Yes it is like The Measure Of A Man, from TNG. But also different, because of the parts with the not-quite-right characters. It's also funny because Robert Picardo is such a great comedian. I love the episode where he takes over Seven's body so he won't be discovered, since they are with a race that hates holograms, because Robert and Jeri re both so funny in that one.

I've gone a bit Data mad lately, he always was my favourite character, so I'm digging up any episodes where he's the focal point, or generally kick-ass episodes. Watched Measure Of A Man, Thine Own Self (where Data is collecting radioactive material on a pre-industrialized planet but there's an accident and he loses his memory, gets taken in by the villagers, and accidentally spread radioactive posioning) and All Good Things (the final ever episodes, which are just KICK-ASS!!!!)

I love the quote in the last ever episode:

Q: You just don't get it, do you, Jean-Luc? The trial never ends. We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind to new horizons. And for one brief moment, you did.

Capt. Picard: When I realized the paradox.

Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.

Epic.

I cry so much over this show! I'm two minutes (literally) into the one where Data's shuttle explodes and they think he'd dead, but 'toy collectors' have actually kept him - but the looks on Picard's Geordi's and Worf's faces when they see the shuttle explode just makes me cry!! I'll be in bits when I rewatch Insurrection!

Edited by Nollaig

Yup, that's coz that ep was more than likely inspired by The Measure Of A Man. Like I've said before, anything Data faced, the Doctor could too. But I think Data's one is better because of the actors (Patrick Stewart vs. Johnathon Frakes in the courtroom) and Brent being his usual awesome self. The scripting and everything is better.

Noooo don't let it pollute your mind... :roftl:

Ta for the link, very useful to have! :thumb_yello:

Likely was... I never really made the connection though...

I'll try not to :naughty:

That last episode with Kes was rediculous, and actually ruined the character's whole story arc. It would have been so much better for them to just leave her as a character who had gone away to embrace her destiny, and if they HAD to bring her back, they could just have had an episode where she appeared in a flashback as she used to be.

It wasn't that she was a particularly weak character, it's more that she became that way, because the writers didn't know what to do with her. She began as one half of a romantic couple Kes and Neelix, but when the writers split them up, Neelix became a stronger character because he was no longer being jealous of anyone who looked at Kes, and he started to come into his own. But Kes just got weaker, when she could have had great potential, with her mind powers.

Having said that, when she left, and Seven came into the show, Voyager really took off and never looked back.

I can't remember the name of the character Coombs played in Tsunkatse, but he was the one who captured Seven and Tuvok and forced her to fight.

Very much so... I thought she was always a weak character, and there was only so much you could do with her or learn about her... admittedly you needed her to get Neelix onto the ship, but I don't know if I would've kept her there for that long... The thing with Seven was that she was able to grow and evolve as the show progressed...

That's okay, I'll look it up...

I love that episode where Doc writes the Holo-Novel. It is so funny seeing the characters being not quite themselves.

Yes it is like The Measure Of A Man, from TNG. But also different, because of the parts with the not-quite-right characters. It's also funny because Robert Picardo is such a great comedian. I love the episode where he takes over Seven's body so he won't be discovered, since they are with a race that hates holograms, because Robert and Jeri re both so funny in that one.

Robert Picardo has great comic timing, so does Jeri Ryan... and I love that ep as well...

Oh my! This thread relly turned into a Star Trek one! :shocked:

That's nice!:biggrin2:

Sure has! :biggrin2:

We might have a quick ZQ spamming in a while..

I love the quote in the last ever episode:

Q: You just don't get it, do you, Jean-Luc? The trial never ends. We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind to new horizons. And for one brief moment, you did.

Capt. Picard: When I realized the paradox.

Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.

Epic.

I cry so much over this show! I'm two minutes (literally) into the one where Data's shuttle explodes and they think he'd dead, but 'toy collectors' have actually kept him - but the looks on Picard's Geordi's and Worf's faces when they see the shuttle explode just makes me cry!! I'll be in bits when I rewatch Insurrection!

Awwwwwwww....

That's a good quote... I really do love Q... He's great!

• 2 weeks later...