2009 - Mika@Brussels 04 June - Gig reports, photos & vids

Diana

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and i forgot the stage invasion.

That looked amazing but you heard and seen it all by now in other posts,I'm not going to do it all over again

Great report!

So many of your dreams came true!:wub2:

bootleg mp3 concert 04/06/09

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NG5E1PF2

Enjoy !:wink2:

Thank you!:thumb_yello:

I have a question, on Bienies video where Mika was signing the flag who did he say hello to so warmly? Was it Queenie? And what did he mean by “maybe in London?”

Just curious.:blush-anim-cl:

I have a question, on Bienies video where Mika was signing the flag who did he say hello to so warmly? Was it Queenie? And what did he mean by “maybe in London?”

Just curious.:blush-anim-cl:

Yes, it was Queenie. He's so nice :wub2:

And the London-thing is about doing Loney Alcoholic :wink2:

Oh you're good girl, I will never forget your Werchter videos!:wub2:

Oh, thanks :blush-anim-cl::wub2:

Ahh, the gig in Brussels. Where to begin?

Well, it started with a relatively uneventful train ride from Amsterdam Centraal Station to Brussels Midi/Zuid. I totally recommend that to anyone, the rural areas between the two cities are quite pretty - and full of windmills! In the Netherlands. Who'da thunk it? :aah:

So I get to the Brussels station, and am wandering around with my giant backpack like this one trying to get my bearings and sort out where I need to go. I'd started down one corridor, realized I was going the wrong way, then headed back the way I came. I was coming up to an elevator when I happened to see the doors open. Out steps a tall guy with curly hair. I think to myself...no, it can't be! But he turns around, and sure enough, 'tis Mika. I couldn't help but stroll up to him and be like "hey, funny meeting you in a place like this!" He must have been surprised to see me there, but he covered it well, haha. He said hi, and we talked for a few moments about how much more pleasant it is to take a train between cities rather than having to fly. John had walked up by that point, saw me, and kinda laughed. "You're everywhere!" he told me. "Los Angeles, Amsterdam, and now here!" :blush-anim-cl:

I didn't want to keep them too long, so I wished everyone a fun night in Brussels and set out on my way.

Fast forward to gig day. I arrived in the queue at around 1:30, and was given number 22. I think that needs to be the standard for all general admission gigs going forward: people are given numbers on their hands based on when they arrive, and their names and corresponding numbers recorded on a sheet of paper. That way people can talk to whomever they'd like in the queue, take a toilet break, whatever, and then still be organised into the order of arrival prior to the doors opening. Much more peaceful that way.

The Belgian crowd were quite mellow about queuing, I think by around 5pm there may have only been 35 or 40 people there! The doors opened at 7pm, and entering the venue went so well. John and the security guards had arranged it so that small numbers of people would get in at a time, and once they were through, the next group would be allowed in. This was hugely important especially because many people had to collect their tickets from the box office, since they weren't able to be mailed in time, and it would have been such a shame for those that queued the earliest to have to sit many rows back as everyone else rushes in behind them.

The venue was pretty, but in a funky-modern kind of way. The venue in Amsterdam, the Concertgebuow was much more ornate, very opulent and clearly suited to classical music. This venue was bigger, and had sloping seating to allow everyone a good view:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/shooting_star32/IMG_0017.jpg

We seemed to wait quite a while for the support act to come on, and for some reason the music playing to fill the void got stuck on the same song over, and over, and over! I can't remmeber what the song was, though - you'll have to ask Queenie that one.

Finally, the support act came on. They're a band called Blue Roses, two younger gals and a guy on drums. I didn't catch the lead singer's name, but she's quite lovely:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/shooting_star32/IMG_0029.jpg

Her voice reminds me a little of Amy Lee from Evanescence, but their music is a lot more mellow - more folk-y than pop-y or rock-y. My only problem is that some of their songs are quite subdued, resulting in the audience relaxing instead of getting fired up. Still, they're good, and better than a lot of support acts.

They finished their set, then we waited and waited for Mika. At some point the music switched to "The Bear Necessities" from the Jungle Book! The crowd liked that, everyone was singing and clapping along.:biggrin2:

Finally - MIKA! I love to watch him when he first comes on stage. He's positively radiant, it's so freakin' beautiful. I sense there's a real camraderie among the band on this tour, which is evident in how they interact with each other on stage.

He opened with Grace Kelly, which of course got everyone fired up right away. Next was Lady Jane, which I LOVE live. Hearing Mika's falsetto soar like that is just unbelievable, especially in these smaller venues with such great sound to them. It's such a treat for the ears, IMHO. (Sorry Kata!)

I believe the third song was Stuck In The Middle. I felt a tap on my shoulder and Sophie (Niki27) who was behind me was like "should we stand?" I looked around and not many people were standing, but I was like "screw this, hell yes we should!" I got to my feet, and slowly everyone around us did as well. That was much better. My brain can't quite grasp the idea of watching Mika perform his upbeat songs from a vantage point sitting calmly in a chair.

He followed this by Blue Eyes, and everyone sat down which is kind of a shame because that song makes me want to dance like a crazy person. I owe a massive apology to Bienie, Niki27 and Queenie who had to deal with me hip-checking them and dancing around with my arms in the air, messing up their filming. Sorry gals! *blush*

I can't remember the exact order of songs from there, only that he did songs including Big Girl, Good Gone Girl, and Blame It On The Girls. (Haha, see a pattern here? LMAO!) Big Girl is a real crowd pleaser, another one that gets the venue on its feet singing and dancing.

Happy Ending is amazing done acoustically. At both Brussels and Amsterdam he's asked the crowd to sing the chorus, which sounds awesome. I love that.

Over My Shoulder is something else. I think one positive effect of these classier, seated venues is that people STFU and actually listen during these slower songs. Hearing Mika's voice contrasting with the voice of the countertenor gives me giant goosebumps. I'm not sure his name - we all assumed he was Alexander who (I think?) sang on the album version of that track, but then when Mika introduced him at the end it sounded like another name. Hmm. There's one for the MFC FBI. *wink*

<Standard sappiness warning>

There are points during Over My Shoulder where I can't help but feel that my brain is just overloaded, that the beauty of what I'm experiencing is more than the synapses in my brain are capable of handling. What I'm hearing through my ears is just so f*cking beautiful and resonates so deeply within me that I just want to totally block out my other four senses and focus solely on the beautiful sounds washing over my ears. But then of course, watching Mika while he sings is visually beautiful, too, so I don't dare to close my eyes. It's as though the visual beauty and aural beauty, both completely unprecedented are vying for prominence but then come together into something so special that it takes you to a whole new level to experience it.

<End sappiness>

He performed Toy Boy, this time at the celeste (or whatever it's called) that makes the plinky-plonky music box effect. I stand by my conviction that he has a soft spot for that song, he always looks like a giddy little boy while peforming it. So precious.

He finished with Lollipop, an epic production which involves Mika climbing on top of his piano beating on a trash can. All the other band members are positioned around the stage beating on trash cans as well, except for Cherisse who of course was doing what she does best - beating on her drums. It's one of those things you don't expect to see - someone standing atop a gorgeous piano, beating on a trash bin. It's like walking down the street and seeing, say, a platypus reading the national newspaper. It just doesn't seem to make sense, and I think the "whoa!" factor really engages the audience.

At the end Mika and the band walked to the front of the stage and took a bow, glowing at the vibrant adoration of the Brussels crowd. :wub2:

Part 2 of my report shall consist of the encores (he did FIVE encore songs!), the stage invasion during his second performance of Lollipop, as well as meeting with the fans post-gig. :wub2:

But for now, I must go catch a plane. Roll on, Milano!!!!

Woot! Fabulous report! I love it when people are more fangurly than I am. The part I bolded sounds familiar - wonder where it started? :wink2:

I will see if it'll even work in NYC.

Yes, it was Queenie. He's so nice :wub2:

And the London-thing is about doing Loney Alcoholic :wink2:

Oh, thanks :blush-anim-cl::wub2:

Keeping my fingers crossed for that, but he seemed not very keen about doing it.

Strange, as the tour is promoting the songs from the EP!:blink:

Keeping my fingers crossed for that, but he seemed not very keen about doing it.

Yeah, I know .. There is something with that song, just don't know what .. he didn't want to tell us :sad::roftl:

OK,here is my report.

It's difficult this time because I was so overwhelmed by this gig.

I don't know where to start,all thoughts are still racing trow my mind.

I want to tell it all at the same time.

But let me try to start with the beginning...

...The row,

when we arrived we all got a number,when it was six a clock we

all went in the correct sequence in queue, number 1. who was there first got the first place in row and so on.

This was a good arrangement.

I hope It can be like that all the time in the future.

A boy who was not a member called us all freaks because of this and was wondering why some fangirly girl,hi-hi(Nikki) was telling everybody where to stand and to him,she looked a bit bossy.

He didn't understand who we all were and got confused by it but then he said;"oh well it's not a bad idea after all and security seems to agree with it".

Then at 7pm or a little later we could go in by groups off +/-10 people at the time.

This also worked perfectly,no running,no bad feelings because someone from behind in line could take a better spot than someone who was there hours before.

The act before Mika came up.

Too me they had no performance appearance at all.(sorry don't know how to write it in a better way in English maybe something like X factor,really,I don't know how to explain this correctly but something between the two I mentioned)

It where two shy girls and the singer introduced themselves so shy and quietly, but what a voices and talent they had!

It was beautiful but maybe a bit to slow before a Mika concert.

But keep that aside because after all they where good and I did enjoy their performance.

Then time for a drink and the bad-room,this was the first time I could do this during a Mika gig because I wasn't afraid to lose my spot.

That was totally new for me and I found it fantastic.

After a short while Mika and band came up.

They started with Grace Kelly and Mika messed it up (of course)

I couldn't help myself but I had to laugh quite hard when I saw his face,when he after a short pause managed to hit the right key.

He can be so funny and sorry for him but secretly, I always hope he will mess up something.

He was wearing the orange jacket and OMG,the shoes.I liked them so much.

I saw them on pictures before but in real life they looked even better.

Wat came next I don't remember but it was one of the new songs.(this doesn't mean I forgot the songs but only the order they came on)

His voice was amazing during this whole gig.

The higher notes were perfectly pure and the lower voice seems to be improved.

The atmosphere was good in the venue only I felt a bit shy because I was there all by myself.

I was in first row and it was a bit difficult for me to let myself go.

I was at the last seat totally at the right and security stood next to me.

It felt a bit weird.

They where enjoining the performance of Mika and I had the feeling they where impressed by him.

Maybe, yesterday Mika won a few more macho hetero fans who of course will never admit it to there friends.

At some point Mika almost fell over some wires.He was coming into my direction while that happened.

I thought OMG Mika don't fall and then when he didn't fall,I thought, what a shame he didn't felt, otherwise he could had landed on my lap.

I know, I'm a bad girl.

Over my shoulder was the most beautiful thing I ever heard live.

It was a dream for me to hear this one live someday and till a few days back I thought it would never happen.

I think he never did it this beautiful before.

I don't know, maybe it was because I heard it for the first time live but I don't think so.

Like I sad before his voice yesterday was perfect in condition. It was never this clear before.

At one point, during over my shoulder,I just closed my eyes,it felt like I was in a little trance.

I never thought I would dare to do that in public but I'm glad I did.

Everybody was totally quite to listen to it.

I was happy for that.

The new songs sounded so good.

I like them more live than on the EP and for the new album, I think it's going to be an other hit.

Rain was totally different than in Amsterdam and now I love it even more.

I though,t by now I have seen it all (concerning Mika) and this acoustic one wouldn't surprise me that much. Oh boy,how wrong was I.

I thought this would be a rather mellow sort of gig but Mika was full with energy,the jumping,dancing on the piano,the garbage cans

and the rhythm.

I was totally overwhelmed by this gig.

Oh and martin was so sweet,There were two little kids standing next to the stage and Martin gave them during (I think it was) Lollipop a drumstick and rolled an garbage can near them so they could drum on it in the meanwhile the new band member was hitting his can and while doing it,it kept rolling away from him,this was so funny to see.

The new member fits in real good,I like him.

The magic is back.

After lollipop the public went mad and no one had the attention to leave the room.

I thought no way he's coming back again but he did.

I'm not sure but I believe they came back 3 times for an encore and did 5 encore songs totally.

Relax was one of them and an other dream came true for me.

Relax acoustical!!!! OMG can you believe this!!

It started so sweet and calm and it ended so freaking up tempo.

It was amazing!!!!

After the concert we all had the opportunity to meet Mika and we all got signatures.

For the first time, I finally met Cherise and again an other dream cam true.

She is so sweet,Now I love her even more.

Thumbs up for the best female drummer in the world!!

OK this was it,hope you enjoyed reading,if not,sorry it was the best I could do with so poor energy left.

My video for over my shoulder;

Not real good quality but not the worst either

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing! Too bad he didn't land on your lap, though... :teehee:

Yeah, I know .. There is something with that song, just don't know what .. he didn't want to tell us :sad::roftl:

Just saw the vid and he was indeed very clear about not wanting to play it.

Great vid btw!

Anyway, lonely alcoholic or no i'd still like to go to another gig I just don't think I can afford it. Dillemma!

This gig sounded so great! Wish I was there myself.

Woot! I love Mika's concept on how an acoustic gig is:teehee: Really.

LOVED your report as always Mana... The part where you ran into him at the train station was quite funny to read! I wish things like that happened to me.:aah: You're lucky:roftl: And the pic of your eternal fangurl moment.. :P

And your vids are wonderful, Bienie!

Really like the Toy Boy and Relax. And the pics are great!

I love his hoodie on the backstage m&g ones...

Oh man, this gig sounded incredibleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your great reports. And for the Relax video!! I can't wait to watch more of them :wub2.

So we now know what the key is: we harass him shouting until he comes back out again and again, because he feels like he has no choice, hahah!

We'll definitely do that in Milan.

And London.:teehee:

I don't think we'll be getting a stage invasion in London ... so we're safe ... :naughty

Pleaaase.:naughty:

Loved the M&G vid.. It all looked so chilled and ... Normal:biggrin2:

First of all: I saw a lot of reactions what the queuing concerns. Yes, so there were like 30 people in the queue at 4 o'clock, isn't that amazing? I wish it could always be as relaxed as it was here. I arrived at 1 o'clock and if you think about it, that really should be early enough. We do it to ourselves. If nobody would start to queue super early, other people wouldn't have to either. Not criticizing anyone, but like I said, people do it to themselves.

So we arrived at the queue, a bit later security was handing out some hot chocolate and chocolates. I guess it came from the venue itself so :thumb_yello: to them. On the same note, the security guy who stood in front of the queue was very nice, talking to people in the queue, very relaxed.

I loved the system with the numbers, allthough it has some flaws as well (which system hasn't right). E.g. people can show up extremely early and then just leave their spot the entire day, come back 30 minutes before the doors open and still have that same spot... That just doesn't seem right to me... But we'll see what happens. Me personally, I loved the 'going in by small amounts' way more. Because of that, people didn't have to run like crazy to get a spot they wanted.

We were with the first bunch of people that went in and I got 2nd row in the middle, I loved the spot. I couldn't believe we were just sitting there, relaxing, no pushing, no screaming, no fighting... WOW

The support act was good, but way too shy for a venue filled with Mika fans :teehee: I was just waiting for Mika to come out tbh, I'm sure a lot of people agreed.

Then another break, and AGAIN the same song that was playing the entire hour before the support act begun! I don't know the title but it had this annoying whistle tune in it:aah: I don't know what went wrong there... Then a song from jungle book started playing and people were getting all excited. And then finally they appeared... Still couldn't grasp we were sitting at a Mika gig. GK began and he immediately messed up, typical :naughty: Everyone stayed seated untill Stuck in the middle... Blue eyes was up next but everyone sat down again... That felt a bit awkward since it's a bouncy song as well... But during a big part of the gig the crowd was standing/dancing and singing along.

To me the best part was Over my shoulder. I started filming it because I love it... But I stopped after a few seconds. I decided I wanted to focus only on the performance and nothing else and I'm so glad I did. I leaned forward in my seat, shut out everything and everyone else and just observed it all. It didn't feel like I was sitting in a venue filled with people at all, there was no sound or movement, just Mika, the piano and the other singer... Amazing....

When lollipop ended and they were getting off stage I couldn't believe it :shocked: I was like, no what? It's over so soon? But the entire crowd just started screaming 'MIKA MIKA', clapping their hands, they had no choice but to come back... twice! They were beginning to break up the set already but the crowd just kept going and didn't want to leave so... they came back! Beating the garbace cans and everything. I couldn't believe it, I was already wearing my jacket and scarf.. didn't think they would come back AGAIN.. But they did, with the infamous stage invasion as result... Which was actually very funny.. Security went mad! They were like: 'oh no!! No don't jump on the stage!' And they crawled on the stage as well, started talking in their little communication thingies, no idea what those are called... But when they saw it was all good they just let it happen.

The meeting afterwards was well done and chill as well. We didn't notice he was signing already since everyone was so quiet... No screaming, no yelling, no 10 000's of flashes going off every single second. A big thanks to John again for making that happen. Funny note, I overheard one of the security guys saying Mika was very happy with the show and that he was such a charming guy. And that his fans totally made the right choice for choosing such a great guy as their favorite artist. It was in French so I couldn't totally understand but that was the main idea. Mika signed my EP and I asked him why he didn't speak Dutch this time like he did in 2007. I'm very happy I asked him something now. Normally I just stand there... It's way more fun to really have him talk to you.

After he left the band came out and chatted with fans, taking pics etc. I got a pic with Dan who is so cute! I really think he did a great job on stage as well. He said he's usually a bit shy (with the meeting and stuff) but that Mika said it was all good... I guess he means he was a bit afraid of us at first or something I don't know :aah: Oh well..

mika004.jpg

Edited by Droopsy

@ Droopsy

Thank you so much for your report!

I was there myself, but this morning I woke but a 'back to reality feeling' and you restored my mika-high. Thanks so much!

Guess I'm addicted :roftl:

I didn't see you, right? Where were you sitting?

I didn't see you, right? Where were you sitting?

I was sitting third row, right in front of the piano. Wearing an orange t-shirt. I was one of the girls who screamed 'mika we love you' right at the beginning of happy ending. :blush-anim-cl:

I was sitting third row, right in front of the piano. Wearing an orange t-shirt. I was one of the girls who screamed 'mika we love you' right at the beginning of happy ending. :blush-anim-cl:

So wait, you were sitting right behind me?????????? :roftl: How funny is that... I didn't really look behind me, otherwise I would def have recognized an orange shirt. But I did hear you scream that at the beginning of happy ending though!:thumb_yello:

Hm....interesting! Yes, why Mika?:wink2:

Yes, he loves her you see. :teehee:

I know... who doesn't btw?:biggrin2:

She was one of his Big Girls dancing on stage:wub2: in Madrid!

She’s also an excellent tour guide, she and TheBlackQueen took us for a tour in the night in Madrid last summer! Lovely!:wub2: