2009 - Mika@Brussels 04 June - Gig reports, photos & vids

Diana

Ahh, the gig in Brussels. Where to begin?

Well, it started with a relatively uneventful train ride from Amsterdam Centraal Station to Brussels Midi/Zuid. I totally recommend that to anyone, the rural areas between the two cities are quite pretty - and full of windmills! In the Netherlands. Who'da thunk it? :aah:

So I get to the Brussels station, and am wandering around with my giant backpack like this one trying to get my bearings and sort out where I need to go. I'd started down one corridor, realized I was going the wrong way, then headed back the way I came. I was coming up to an elevator when I happened to see the doors open. Out steps a tall guy with curly hair. I think to myself...no, it can't be! But he turns around, and sure enough, 'tis Mika. I couldn't help but stroll up to him and be like "hey, funny meeting you in a place like this!" He must have been surprised to see me there, but he covered it well, haha. He said hi, and we talked for a few moments about how much more pleasant it is to take a train between cities rather than having to fly. John had walked up by that point, saw me, and kinda laughed. "You're everywhere!" he told me. "Los Angeles, Amsterdam, and now here!" :blush-anim-cl:

I didn't want to keep them too long, so I wished everyone a fun night in Brussels and set out on my way.

Fast forward to gig day. I arrived in the queue at around 1:30, and was given number 22. I think that needs to be the standard for all general admission gigs going forward: people are given numbers on their hands based on when they arrive, and their names and corresponding numbers recorded on a sheet of paper. That way people can talk to whomever they'd like in the queue, take a toilet break, whatever, and then still be organised into the order of arrival prior to the doors opening. Much more peaceful that way.

The Belgian crowd were quite mellow about queuing, I think by around 5pm there may have only been 35 or 40 people there! The doors opened at 7pm, and entering the venue went so well. John and the security guards had arranged it so that small numbers of people would get in at a time, and once they were through, the next group would be allowed in. This was hugely important especially because many people had to collect their tickets from the box office, since they weren't able to be mailed in time, and it would have been such a shame for those that queued the earliest to have to sit many rows back as everyone else rushes in behind them.

The venue was pretty, but in a funky-modern kind of way. The venue in Amsterdam, the Concertgebuow was much more ornate, very opulent and clearly suited to classical music. This venue was bigger, and had sloping seating to allow everyone a good view:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/shooting_star32/IMG_0017.jpg

We seemed to wait quite a while for the support act to come on, and for some reason the music playing to fill the void got stuck on the same song over, and over, and over! I can't remmeber what the song was, though - you'll have to ask Queenie that one.

Finally, the support act came on. They're a band called Blue Roses, two younger gals and a guy on drums. I didn't catch the lead singer's name, but she's quite lovely:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/shooting_star32/IMG_0029.jpg

Her voice reminds me a little of Amy Lee from Evanescence, but their music is a lot more mellow - more folk-y than pop-y or rock-y. My only problem is that some of their songs are quite subdued, resulting in the audience relaxing instead of getting fired up. Still, they're good, and better than a lot of support acts.

They finished their set, then we waited and waited for Mika. At some point the music switched to "The Bear Necessities" from the Jungle Book! The crowd liked that, everyone was singing and clapping along.:biggrin2:

Finally - MIKA! I love to watch him when he first comes on stage. He's positively radiant, it's so freakin' beautiful. I sense there's a real camraderie among the band on this tour, which is evident in how they interact with each other on stage.

He opened with Grace Kelly, which of course got everyone fired up right away. Next was Lady Jane, which I LOVE live. Hearing Mika's falsetto soar like that is just unbelievable, especially in these smaller venues with such great sound to them. It's such a treat for the ears, IMHO. (Sorry Kata!)

I believe the third song was Stuck In The Middle. I felt a tap on my shoulder and Sophie (Niki27) who was behind me was like "should we stand?" I looked around and not many people were standing, but I was like "screw this, hell yes we should!" I got to my feet, and slowly everyone around us did as well. That was much better. My brain can't quite grasp the idea of watching Mika perform his upbeat songs from a vantage point sitting calmly in a chair.

He followed this by Blue Eyes, and everyone sat down which is kind of a shame because that song makes me want to dance like a crazy person. I owe a massive apology to Bienie, Niki27 and Queenie who had to deal with me hip-checking them and dancing around with my arms in the air, messing up their filming. Sorry gals! *blush*

I can't remember the exact order of songs from there, only that he did songs including Big Girl, Good Gone Girl, and Blame It On The Girls. (Haha, see a pattern here? LMAO!) Big Girl is a real crowd pleaser, another one that gets the venue on its feet singing and dancing.

Happy Ending is amazing done acoustically. At both Brussels and Amsterdam he's asked the crowd to sing the chorus, which sounds awesome. I love that.

Over My Shoulder is something else. I think one positive effect of these classier, seated venues is that people STFU and actually listen during these slower songs. Hearing Mika's voice contrasting with the voice of the countertenor gives me giant goosebumps. I'm not sure his name - we all assumed he was Alexander who (I think?) sang on the album version of that track, but then when Mika introduced him at the end it sounded like another name. Hmm. There's one for the MFC FBI. *wink*

<Standard sappiness warning>

There are points during Over My Shoulder where I can't help but feel that my brain is just overloaded, that the beauty of what I'm experiencing is more than the synapses in my brain are capable of handling. What I'm hearing through my ears is just so f*cking beautiful and resonates so deeply within me that I just want to totally block out my other four senses and focus solely on the beautiful sounds washing over my ears. But then of course, watching Mika while he sings is visually beautiful, too, so I don't dare to close my eyes. It's as though the visual beauty and aural beauty, both completely unprecedented are vying for prominence but then come together into something so special that it takes you to a whole new level to experience it.

<End sappiness>

He performed Toy Boy, this time at the celeste (or whatever it's called) that makes the plinky-plonky music box effect. I stand by my conviction that he has a soft spot for that song, he always looks like a giddy little boy while peforming it. So precious.

He finished with Lollipop, an epic production which involves Mika climbing on top of his piano beating on a trash can. All the other band members are positioned around the stage beating on trash cans as well, except for Cherisse who of course was doing what she does best - beating on her drums. It's one of those things you don't expect to see - someone standing atop a gorgeous piano, beating on a trash bin. It's like walking down the street and seeing, say, a platypus reading the national newspaper. It just doesn't seem to make sense, and I think the "whoa!" factor really engages the audience.

At the end Mika and the band walked to the front of the stage and took a bow, glowing at the vibrant adoration of the Brussels crowd. :wub2:

Part 2 of my report shall consist of the encores (he did FIVE encore songs!), the stage invasion during his second performance of Lollipop, as well as meeting with the fans post-gig. :wub2:

But for now, I must go catch a plane. Roll on, Milano!!!!

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw Relax vid, amazing!!!!! Thank you so much for reports, pics and vids!! Can't wait Milan, I hope he will sing Relax there too :wub2:

Edited by lollipop_monkey

OMG I was on stage with Mika last night!!! :wub2:

I've seen him two times before in Belgium, but this time was the best. The songs were great, the crowd was amazing, Mika looked amazing :blush-anim-cl:, ... I liked all the songs, but especially Happy Ending, Lady Jane, Good Gone Girl and Rain. His voice was so good ... the high notes were amazing.

The best part was when he came back for THREE times. The last time we were with him on stage ... I still can't believe it. I was lying awake all night thinking about it.

Then we went outside for a autograph. This was my first time talking to Mika ... I haven't said a lot, because I was really shy. I just stood there and smiled at him. I told him it was the best show of my life ... cliché I know, but it was the only think I could say. My knees were weak and I had butterflies :fangurl: He signed my DVD. I also took pictures and had an autograph from the others members of the band. They were really nice people. Martin said it was one of the best shows ever.

I'm still shaking and smiling when I think about yesterday. It was one of the best nights ever !!! Now I am off to work, tired but happy ...

Edited by Guest

OMG I was on stage with Mika last night!!! :wub2:

I've seen him two times before in Belgium, but this time was the best. The songs were great, the crowd was amazing, Mika looked amazing :blush-anim-cl:, ... I like all the songs, but especially Happy Ending, Lady Jane, Good Gone Girl and Rain. He's voice was so good ... the high notes were amazing.

The best part was when he came back for THREE times. The last time we were with him on stage ... I still can't believe it. I was lying awake all night thinking about it.

Then we went outside for a autograph. This was my first time talking to Mika ... I haven't said a lot, because I was really shy. I just stood there and smiled at him. I told him it was the best show of my life ... cliché I know, but it was the only think I could say. My knees were weak and I had butterflies :fangurl: He signed my DVD. I also took pictures and had an autograph from the others members of the band. They were really nice people. Martin said it was one of the best shows ever.

I'm still shaking and smiling when I think about yesterday. It was one of the best nights ever !!! Now I am off to work, tired but happy ...

aww! Sounds amazing! :wub2::thumb_yello:

Still waiting for the stage invade videos tho! :aah:

:roftl: Oh yeah, I'll totally scold her and make her sit like a little lady in

her seat, with her hands folded in her lap...NOT.

I'm just hoping that everyone will be so busy watching Mana, they

won't notice me when I start having my fangurl moments! :blush-anim-cl:

Oh yeah, we oldlings has to think about our dignity! Muahahaha!!!!:lmfao:

Funny thing is... the older I get the less I actually care about what the "society thinks"!

I'm here, I'm nuts, get use to it!:naughty:

Just saw Relax vid, amazing!!!!! Thank you so much for reports, pics and vids!! Can't wait Milan, I hope he will sing Relax there too :wub2:

Thank you for the link Tiibet!

Where is the rest, it ended just when it was about to lift!:blink:

Oh man, this gig sounded incredibleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your great reports. And for the Relax video!! I can't wait to watch more of them :wub2:.

So we now know what the key is: we harass him shouting until he comes back out again and again, because he feels like he has no choice, hahah!

We'll definitely do that in Milan :roftl:.

Thank you for the link Tiibet!

Where is the rest, it ended just when it was about to lift!:blink:

Actually, someone added the link there, thank you for doing that :wink2: It is a fabulous vid!

Oh man, this gig sounded incredibleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your great reports. And for the Relax video!! I can't wait to watch more of them :wub2:.

So we now know what the key is: we harass him shouting until he comes back out again and again, because he feels like he has no choice, hahah!

We'll definitely do that in Milan :roftl:.

Yes, we will, I can't wait it!!!!! :biggrin2:

Ahh, the gig in Brussels. Where to begin?

Well, it started with a relatively uneventful train ride from Amsterdam Centraal Station to Brussels Midi/Zuid. I totally recommend that to anyone, the rural areas between the two cities are quite pretty - and full of windmills! In the Netherlands. Who'da thunk it? :aah:

So I get to the Brussels station, and am wandering around with my giant backpack like this one trying to get my bearings and sort out where I need to go. I'd started down one corridor, realized I was going the wrong way, then headed back the way I came. I was coming up to an elevator when I happened to see the doors open. Out steps a tall guy with curly hair. I think to myself...no, it can't be! But he turns around, and sure enough, 'tis Mika. I couldn't help but stroll up to him and be like "hey, funny meeting you in a place like this!" He must have been surprised to see me there, but he covered it well, haha. He said hi, and we talked for a few moments about how much more pleasant it is to take a train between cities rather than having to fly. John had walked up by that point, saw me, and kinda laughed. "You're everywhere!" he told me. "Los Angeles, Amsterdam, and now here!" :blush-anim-cl:

I didn't want to keep them too long, so I wished everyone a fun night in Brussels and set out on my way.

Fast forward to gig day. I arrived in the queue at around 1:30, and was given number 22. I think that needs to be the standard for all general admission gigs going forward: people are given numbers on their hands based on when they arrive, and their names and corresponding numbers recorded on a sheet of paper. That way people can talk to whomever they'd like in the queue, take a toilet break, whatever, and then still be organised into the order of arrival prior to the doors opening. Much more peaceful that way.

The Belgian crowd were quite mellow about queuing, I think by around 5pm there may have only been 35 or 40 people there! The doors opened at 7pm, and entering the venue went so well. John and the security guards had arranged it so that small numbers of people would get in at a time, and once they were through, the next group would be allowed in. This was hugely important especially because many people had to collect their tickets from the box office, since they weren't able to be mailed in time, and it would have been such a shame for those that queued the earliest to have to sit many rows back as everyone else rushes in behind them.

The venue was pretty, but in a funky-modern kind of way. The venue in Amsterdam, the Concertgebuow was much more ornate, very opulent and clearly suited to classical music. This venue was bigger, and had sloping seating to allow everyone a good view:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/shooting_star32/IMG_0017.jpg

We seemed to wait quite a while for the support act to come on, and for some reason the music playing to fill the void got stuck on the same song over, and over, and over! I can't remmeber what the song was, though - you'll have to ask Queenie that one.

Finally, the support act came on. They're a band called Blue Roses, two younger gals and a guy on drums. I didn't catch the lead singer's name, but she's quite lovely:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/shooting_star32/IMG_0029.jpg

Her voice reminds me a little of Amy Lee from Evanescence, but their music is a lot more mellow - more folk-y than pop-y or rock-y. My only problem is that some of their songs are quite subdued, resulting in the audience relaxing instead of getting fired up. Still, they're good, and better than a lot of support acts.

They finished their set, then we waited and waited for Mika. At some point the music switched to "The Bear Necessities" from the Jungle Book! The crowd liked that, everyone was singing and clapping along.:biggrin2:

Finally - MIKA! I love to watch him when he first comes on stage. He's positively radiant, it's so freakin' beautiful. I sense there's a real camraderie among the band on this tour, which is evident in how they interact with each other on stage.

He opened with Grace Kelly, which of course got everyone fired up right away. Next was Lady Jane, which I LOVE live. Hearing Mika's falsetto soar like that is just unbelievable, especially in these smaller venues with such great sound to them. It's such a treat for the ears, IMHO. (Sorry Kata!)

I believe the third song was Stuck In The Middle. I felt a tap on my shoulder and Sophie (Niki27) who was behind me was like "should we stand?" I looked around and not many people were standing, but I was like "screw this, hell yes we should!" I got to my feet, and slowly everyone around us did as well. That was much better. My brain can't quite grasp the idea of watching Mika perform his upbeat songs from a vantage point sitting calmly in a chair.

He followed this by Blue Eyes, and everyone sat down which is kind of a shame because that song makes me want to dance like a crazy person. I owe a massive apology to Bienie, Niki27 and Queenie who had to deal with me hip-checking them and dancing around with my arms in the air, messing up their filming. Sorry gals! *blush*

I can't remember the exact order of songs from there, only that he did songs including Big Girl, Good Gone Girl, and Blame It On The Girls. (Haha, see a pattern here? LMAO!) Big Girl is a real crowd pleaser, another one that gets the venue on its feet singing and dancing.

Happy Ending is amazing done acoustically. At both Brussels and Amsterdam he's asked the crowd to sing the chorus, which sounds awesome. I love that.

Over My Shoulder is something else. I think one positive effect of these classier, seated venues is that people STFU and actually listen during these slower songs. Hearing Mika's voice contrasting with the voice of the countertenor gives me giant goosebumps. I'm not sure his name - we all assumed he was Alexander who (I think?) sang on the album version of that track, but then when Mika introduced him at the end it sounded like another name. Hmm. There's one for the MFC FBI. *wink*

<Standard sappiness warning>

There are points during Over My Shoulder where I can't help but feel that my brain is just overloaded, that the beauty of what I'm experiencing is more than the synapses in my brain are capable of handling. What I'm hearing through my ears is just so f*cking beautiful and resonates so deeply within me that I just want to totally block out my other four senses and focus solely on the beautiful sounds washing over my ears. But then of course, watching Mika while he sings is visually beautiful, too, so I don't dare to close my eyes. It's as though the visual beauty and aural beauty, both completely unprecedented are vying for prominence but then come together into something so special that it takes you to a whole new level to experience it.

<End sappiness>

He performed Toy Boy, this time at the celeste (or whatever it's called) that makes the plinky-plonky music box effect. I stand by my conviction that he has a soft spot for that song, he always looks like a giddy little boy while peforming it. So precious.

He finished with Lollipop, an epic production which involves Mika climbing on top of his piano beating on a trash can. All the other band members are positioned around the stage beating on trash cans as well, except for Cherisse who of course was doing what she does best - beating on her drums. It's one of those things you don't expect to see - someone standing atop a gorgeous piano, beating on a trash bin. It's like walking down the street and seeing, say, a platypus reading the national newspaper. It just doesn't seem to make sense, and I think the "whoa!" factor really engages the audience.

At the end Mika and the band walked to the front of the stage and took a bow, glowing at the vibrant adoration of the Brussels crowd. :wub2:

Part 2 of my report shall consist of the encores (he did FIVE encore songs!), the stage invasion during his second performance of Lollipop, as well as meeting with the fans post-gig. :wub2:

But for now, I must go catch a plane. Roll on, Milano!!!!

Thank you so much for your report, always a pleasure to read when you’re writing!

Your sappy part actually brought me to tears, happy tears!:wub2:

I really love your stile of writing; personal, easy going and you always manage to describe details in a way that I can see the things and events in front of me in your beautiful, high-coloured language!

Haha, sorry, I’m such a hopeless language freak!

Funny thing you should bump in to him at the railway station!

I really think it gives him e a certain amount of gratification to see that he has a couple of faithful fans who are following him around!

It gave me too such comfort and joy to see the interaction between Mika and his band!

In perspective of what happened in Amsterdam 2008 this was a relief to see.

A musician is of course very depending on his band and a good team work is a necessity!

Have a great time in Milano!

Just watching some of my videos now (don't worry, they're uploading too :bleh:) and just seen Mika f*ck up Big Girl! The guy's great! :roftl: :roftl:

Awww sounds so amazing! *Slaps herself for not being there*

You might slap yourself harder, there were quite a lot people with spare tickets... :huglove:

Ok, now I really have to run to get in time at my appointment

Here they are ...

:roftl:

(still processing)

Lady Jane had an error while uploading (what a surprise :roftl:), so that song will follow ..

Note on the videos:

- sound isn't always that great, sorry ..

- keeping still was just IMPOSSIBLE (but I hope you understand :P)

- I didn't have the intention to be in Mika's face like I am sometimes, but the thing with my camera is that you can zoom in pretty far and film in high quality, but you have to zoom in before filming and then you can't zoom out anymore .. Great when he's at the piano or so, but not so great when he's jumping around :roftl:

Hope you like them .. more will follow soon :wink2:

Edited by Guest

You might slap yourself harder, there were quite a lot people with spare tickets... :huglove:

You're kidding me right? :mf_rosetinted:

Damn, I wish I'd just decided to go as well. I f*cked up the final I had this morning anyway. :roftl:

Thanks for all your reports/pics/vids so far!!! :wub2:

Mana, what a coincidence you actually ran in to him on the trainstation! ^^

Tickets weren't the issue, it was the lack of money on my bankaccount that was:roftl:

CIMG1954.JPG

Ummm, okay, so that is pretty much the greatest picture ever :shocked:

Loved the review mana, and your pictures are amazingly good. I loved your pictures too moonlight, I looked at the one of Mika banging the trash can on his piano for like 4 minutes going "wtf? is this photoshopped? How are there two Mikas?" :blink::lmfao: I love how much and how badly Mika ****s up all the time too.

I shouldn't be here. Why did I just read this thread? Screw you exams! Screw you Ingie, for having such an awesome signature that now makes me desperately want to look at the Amsterdam thread too. :crybaby:

:fisch:

Brussel gig videos

:biggrin2:

Lady Jane had an error while uploading (what a surprise :roftl:), so that song will follow ..

Note on the videos:

- sound isn't always that great, especially when the drums come in .. The sound was really loud! Sorry ..

- I didn't have the intention to be in Mika's face like I am sometimes, but the thing with my camera is that you can zoom in pretty far and film in high quality, but you have to zoom in before filming and then you can't zoom out anymore .. Great when he's at the piano or so, but not so great when he's jumping around :roftl:

Edited by Guest

Brussel gig videos

Note on the videos:

- sound isn't always that great, especially when the drums come in .. The sound was really loud! Sorry ..

Lol @ the first one. :roftl:

What is it with you and Lady Jane, eh? :naughty:

(Cool vids, btw. ^^)