Mika pens 'teenage' second album - BBC Radio1

Miro

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music/newsid_8091000/8091260.stm

Interview by Newsbeat presenter Tulip Mazumdar

lou.jpg

Mika wears shoes by Victoria Beckham's favourite designer, Charles (Christian :naughty: ) Louboutin

Mika has described his forthcoming second album as a collection of songs "dealing with his adolescent teenage years".

The as-yet-untitled follow-up to his 2007 debut, Life In Cartoon Motion, is set to be released in September 2009.

The Brit Award winning singer-song writer said the record was a direct follow up to his debut.

He added: "The first album dealt with my childhood. This album in a sense is kind of part two."

The flamboyant pop star continued: "I became fascinated with the idea that on the first record I referenced a lot of nursery rhymes and fairy tales.

"When you're a kid you just sing them and you love them and you're put to sleep with them.

"But when you're a teenager you read them again and you realise its all about babies dying and people chopping off each other's body parts."

Two of the tracks set to appear on the record - Blue Eyes and Toy Boy - recently featured on his debut EP Songs For Sorrow, which the singer said acted "as a bridge between first and second album".

"Toy Boy talks about life through the eyes of this little boy doll who wrestles for the affections of the boy that owns him," he explained.

"But he gets rejected and taken on by the mother who turns him into a voodoo doll for his father who has left her.

"Its sad because he ends up slightly dismembered with pins in his eyes dying in a cupboard."

Despite its dark themes, the singer said the album also deals with teenage joy.

"I think that is very much a sign of someone's teenage years because in order to be truly joyful you have to let your barriers fall down," he argued.

"As we get older we construct those barriers a lot more solidly and it's a lot harder to get rid of them.

"So that kind of fragile no holds barred totally unselfconscious joy is very much something that was present in my teenage years."

Mika, whose debut sold more than five million copies worldwide, has recently become friends with chart topper Lady Gaga.

"I met her at one of her shows in LA," he revealed. "I listened to a lot of her music but it wasn't until I saw her live that I really put the pieces together with her.

"I really admire the fact she writes all that stuff and she cares so much about what she does and there's so much concept and construct behind everything.

"I know she polarises opinion but that is only a good thing."

So apparently Blue Eyes and Toy Boy will be in the second album as well? :blink:

Edited by Miro

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"But when you're a teenager you read them again and you realise its all about babies dying and people chopping off each other's body parts."

Two of the tracks set to appear...

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Thanks for posting! Can't wait

That's a brilliant article! T4P Can't wait! I got my SFS today and it's awesome to hear the songs on it! Toy Boy sounds so good, with the flutes and things. I had worried that the flutes and things might distract from the melody, but they don't! It's just right! A true testimant to the musical genius that is Mika!

For some reason I don't want those 2 songs on the album. I want an album of fresh and new songs!:crybaby: (yeah I know we heard some at the gigs, but we havent heard the studio ones yet, so I still concern them as fresh and new:naughty:)

For some reason I don't want those 2 songs on the album. I want an album of fresh and new songs!:crybaby: (yeah I know we heard some at the gigs, but we havent heard the studio ones yet, so I still concern them as fresh and new:naughty:)

I agree with you (:

Don't mean to be rude but it is Christian Louboutin not Charles

Those shoes were to show that he is a sparkley star from the inside out! :wink2: and were fabby!....better in pink tho ...joking!!!..me and pink:roftl:

xxx

It's the second place where it is mentioned that Blue Eyes is also going to be on the new cd, I don't mind because I love it, but if they got Louboutin wrong they could have easily gotten that wrong too.:sneaky2:

Oh, I almost forgot. Thanks Miro and Rose!:thumb_yello:

Don't mean to be rude but it is Christian Louboutin not Charles

Those shoes were to show that he is a sparkley star from the inside out! :wink2: and were fabby!....better in pink tho ...joking!!!..me and pink:roftl:

xxx

Yeah apparently they got it wrong in that article :blink:

How strange. I posted this article on the Sadlers Wells review thread yesterday!

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2333184&postcount=259

It has the wonderful shoes picture, so I put that at the top of that thread...

Guess more people will see it in its own thread...I should have made one!!:teehee:

Edited by Blue Sky

and i was just wondering if the shoes were really louboutins! love the shoes, love the news as well ;D

They had red heels and soles, so I think it's a pretty safe bet.