First single -We Are Golden!!

Mary

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well.

I wouldn't say I'm very disappointed, but underwhelmed does fit the bill.

When I first heard that tacky sprechgesang fragment I was hoping for the rest to pick me up but now I find that exact bit the most catchy part of the whole song.

I know that it's just me (as usual), I'm sure pretty much everyone else is amazed, but those months and months of building up expectations kinda backfired here with me. I really did expect something spectacular. A second Grace Kelly or something equally brilliant. But this just sounds to me as if it was originally written for the K36 girls. I'm sure it will go to #1 and stay there for a while but for me it just lacks about everything. Hope the album will contain one or another marvel.

No you're not alone on this.

I wont say the song isn't good or wont be a hit but ,it's to much and to less.

I mean it sounds to big and IMO it doesn't have great quality,it sounds a bit cheap,

no not cheap but more like to commercial to me.

I expected more from Mika but this is maybe what he needs to convert other people to his music,maybe a way to get his feet in on American radio.

And I know I said it before but .... why is HMDYLM not on the tracklist:sneaky2:

But I think the album will be good,there is: Rain,Toyboy,GGG,Blue Eyes,BIOTG

so I'm not disappointed of mika,it's only this song,i was expecting a master piece from this song and it's not;

Maybe I had to big expectations

Radio 1 played it late afternoon again , must say I had it blasting and its fabby :wub2:

Sadly I expected the choir to be more into the groove of like a prayer i.e taking the lead vocal , but still its great:biggrin2:

Know what time?????????????

Well, yes, only true fans are not afraid to share criticisms. :thumb_yello:

Yes, that is what I think.

I agree.

It would be pointless lying if I said I was absolutely madly in love with it.:naughty:

I wish I was madly in love with it though. :blink: Even the reviews are so good, I'm just not feeling it...yet anyway.

Maybe that's also part of why we're not feeling it: all the hype leading onto it, making it out to be the best thing since sliced bread :blink:

Then again, the reviews came from people who heard more than just this song, didn't they? They were played the full album.

I get the feeling that the songs that I'll like most are the ones that Mika himself thinks are worst :biggrin2:.

Sadly I expected the choir to be more into the groove of like a prayer i.e taking the lead vocal , but still its great:biggrin2:

That's what I mean about the 'rush' and fragmentation. It feels like there is so much to stick in there, that it's all too short, like little bursts of things, in order to make it 'snappy'.

Gosh, this sounds like it has no head or tail but I swear that the concept makes a lot of sense to me. I can SEE it :roftl:

Maybe that's also part of why we're not feeling it: all the hype leading onto it, making it out to be the best thing since sliced bread :blink:

Then again, the reviews came from people who heard more than just this song, didn't they? They were played the full album.

I get the feeling that the songs that I'll like most are the ones that Mika himself thinks are worst :biggrin2:.

That's what I mean about the 'rush' and fragmentation. It feels like there is so much to stick in there, that it's all too short, like little bursts of things, in order to make it 'snappy'.

Gosh, this sounds like it has no head or tail but I swear that the concept makes a lot of sense to me. I can SEE it :roftl:

Maybe that's it...but I still think with or without hype it's not as amazing to me as I wish it was.

I still think the album will be great, because judging from the ones from the acoustic tour, they are all really good!

And I know what you mean by the quick and snappy way to it.

Not that that's a bad thing, but to me it sounds like loads of different idea's all in one song and it sounds a bit jumbled.:blink: Maybe that's the idea though...

I love the verses and the way he sings in sudden unexpected falsetto but the chorus just keeps popping up and...:aah:

I'm going to shut up now or all my inner thoughts about WAG will come out and I won't seem like a fan at all. :naughty:

No you're not alone on this.

I wont say the song isn't good or wont be a hit but ,it's to much and to less.

I mean it sounds to big and IMO it doesn't have great quality,it sounds a bit cheap,

no not cheap but more like to commercial to me.

I expected more from Mika but this is maybe what he needs to convert other people to his music,maybe a way to get his feet in on American radio.

And I know I said it before but .... why is HMDYLM not on the tracklist:sneaky2:

But I think the album will be good,there is: Rain,Toyboy,GGG,Blue Eyes,BIOTG

so I'm not disappointed of mika,it's only this song,i was expecting a master piece from this song and it's not;

Maybe I had to big expectations

You mention Rain first, and I find that interesting. I was thinking now, that maybe Rain (the new version :naughty:) would have been a better first single.....

Oh well.

When I first heard that tacky sprechgesang fragment I was hoping for the rest to pick me up but now I find that exact bit the most catchy part of the whole song.

I know that it's just me (as usual), I'm sure pretty much everyone else is amazed, but those months and months of building up expectations kinda backfired here with me. I really did expect something spectacular. A second Grace Kelly or something equally brilliant. But this just sounds to me as if it was originally written for the K36 girls. I'm sure it will go to #1 and stay there for a while but for me it just lacks about everything. Hope the album will contain one or another marvel.

I am with you :emot-sad: .

Still, and especially with Sire, you can't judge a song before you've seen him perform it live :original: .

Cheers,

Id3

You mention Rain first, and I find that interesting. I was thinking now, that maybe Rain (the new version :naughty:) would have been a better first single.....

Yep...or HMDYLM:wub2:

maybe that's the reason why it's his 1st single- this song has the potential to be a HIT! and honestly he NEEDS to do this, aft a long long break (or disappearance for non-fans). and IMO, the Song for Sorrow EP can compensate that, and i'm sure the rest of the album will as well, since Good Gone Girl give me that "feeling":biggrin2:

Yep, we tend to forget that the artist is a businessman too :wink2: . And a shrewd one at that :thumb_yello: .

Cheers,

Id3

Wow! I have listened to WAG 4 times now and I think it is wonderful. Mika's voice hits peaks and yet still retains those uber sexy baritone notes. It is not my favourite but it is number 1 quality and I love it! Well done Mika!

Guess I know what you mean. *agrees* :blush-anim-cl:

Oh well.

:huglove:

Well, you must have noticed that A LOT OF FANS are keeping quiet, even though they might have also sent their congrats tweet to him.

I personally take it as a purpose written song that has a different target audience ....and the purpose of the song is to reach that particular audience that has actually been underrepresented on MFC so far, yet are large in number. If he gets them buy this album he can rely on them to keep buying his records for the next 30 years.:wink2:The song is absolutely genius if you take this into condideration, and since basically everyone says it will be a massive hit, he is likely to have accomplished the mission.:biggrin2:

Now I could feel 'cheated' about him abondoning 'us' and on Friday when I heard the chorus I was not sure about the orgin of the song but as soon as I heard the melody of the first verse today I realised it must have been HIM cooking it up in his kitchen.... :roftl:...and this makes me laugh so much...

WAG will never have a place in my Top 10 Mika songs but I accept the fact he needed to release sonething extremely radio-friendly and non-Marmite, something that you just can't get out of your head. Plus, I do acknowledge his efforts to have all the Mika trademarks on this song as well.:wink2:

...and you know what? I think he was afraid of the reaction from the core fans and probably that's why he was not sure about the title though the record company must have been delighted and was pressing for this idea.(..but that's complete speculation from my side, of course.)

As for the album, there are only 4songs I have no clue of - though Dr John is likely to be something like BB -, so I don't have the least concern about the quality of the rest of the songs.

Edited by suzie