• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gimme those powers! :sneaky2:

Ha! No way! :tongue2: Teaching develops them. :mf_rosetinted:

Jealous! :naughty:

Yeah, I want a bigger version too. If that was supposed to be the album cover.... what happens if he decides to change the name? Who knowsssss!

Don't be. Check out my students first. :naughty:

You're absolutely right with everything you said here. I can't but agree. It's not that I feel cheated on or let down although I might have sounded like it. It's more about having expected 500% and gotten 100%.

Oops, you have quoted my post again, or which I received some harsh 'criticism' from a newbie or two.:teehee:... (though perhaps criticism is not really the best way to describe those words:cool:)

So, just in case anyone missed my many previous posts before, let me state that:

1., To me, someone's ability to write a song with a particular objective in mind gains my appeciation ..... (To tell you an example, Freddie Mercury wrote We Are The Champions with the purpose of writing a sing-along anthem.)

I salute people who can do that with ease. (I don't know if that's what happened in this case, too, but it made sense as Mika was talking about writing an album from a teenage perspective.)

2., To me, the ability to write a radio-friendly song is a gift I admire. Plus, if you don't have a song that can be played on the radio, you are out of the game, as simple as that.

3., There are different types of radio-friendly songs : there are cheesy ones, mainstream pop songs that everyone likes and the performer is actually replaceable as well as songs with something unique in them.

Now, Mika's singles, including this one (!) so far have all been unique and 'Mika-esque'. What I meant is that If I compare Love Today and WAG, for example, I'd say Love Today is a marmite song because of the dominance of the falsetto , whilst WAG has general appeal......though it needs to be confirmed by record sales if my assumption was correct or not..

Anyone is free to agree or disagree with that, it is just my reasoning for what I said or how I feel. :dunno:... and I love constructive debate.:wink2:

Do you really think he might have been afraid of our reactions?

Well, I don't think he is reading this forum anymore, but I think everyone said they liked the song or at least predict it to be a massive hit.

If he reads, though, I am sure he can differenciate 'positive criticism', especially it it comes from hard core fans, including 'the famous Violet_sky':biggrin2:

I do believe in Mika :kaf:

WAG will go to #1

He will have a lot of new fans.

The album will hold some treasures for me.

Everybody will be happy! :thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello:

I quoted this as I agree 100%... and believe it or not I am enjoying the song more and more, it's only the lyrics 'teenage dreams' that is bugging me ..:wheelchair:.. (:naughty:)

...as you pointed out, it is just a too direct step from the stories we are used to..

Edited by suzie

Is it just me, or is the myspace track a little different near the end? He does like a high octave jump vocal instead or just whispering "we are golden"

Am I just missing it? It's a little different I think!

It sounds a bit different, and I think that I prefer it :blink:

I quoted this as I agree 100%... and believe it or not I am enjoying the song more and more, it's only the lyrics 'teenage dreams' that is bugging me ..

Yes, that is the part of the song that I don't like: the teenage dreams/teenage circus thing. I just find it way too....something :roftl:. I don't know what it is. A bit like the fish talk in Lady Jane perhaps?

Yes, that is the part of the song that I don't like: the teenage dreams/teenage circus thing. I just find it way too....something :roftl:. I don't know what it is. A bit like the fish talk in Lady Jane perhaps?

...hmmm... better than 'fishy dreams' though :fisch:

My mom loved it even though she thinks that sometimes you can't hear his voice clearly:teehee:

It sounds a bit different, and I think that I prefer it :blink:

If its different, then I'll have to listen to it- and I did think I'd get me tea at a reasonable hour today

I'm in two minds about whether it'll appeal to teenagers- I think its more one for people looking back on their teens, which is what he's doing, I suppose, even if he's a lot nearer than me. The bit about "running around like a clown on purpose" rings a bell and makes the dreams... circus bit part of the whole. Otherwise I wouldn't be so keen.

I've been singing it all day- hopefully not aloud- loving all the slowing up and shouting! I think the lyrics are interesting, but basically I find it such a rush- so exhilarating. I keep seeing myself headbanging to it, which is a worry (though probably incomprehensible to actual teens)

Is it just me, or is the myspace track a little different near the end? He does like a high octave jump vocal instead or just whispering "we are golden"

Am I just missing it? It's a little different I think!

It is longer by 30 secs.

He shouts the line

We are not what you think we are

We are golden, we are golden

and then the childen's choir comes in again and shouts out loud the same lines.

.. I think that's the difference.

Haven't posted on here at all yet as I wanted to actually have an opinion before stating it!

I remember hearing the LICM album sampler on Mikasounds and being overcome with excitement as each snippet came on. It felt like I knew every song the minute I heard them.

That was all part of the crazy start of the obssession as it will have been for so many others. I instantly loved everything about his work and it changed my life forever in a way that no other artist ever had.

So, OK, he's something special.:wub2:

So the anxiety about what comes next was warranted and I felt sick with nerves when I played the new stuff from the LA gig. Would they feel familiar like the LICM songs? Would they be as good? Or better even?

My gut feeling was..."oh, no, they're not what I was expecting" (whatever that menns???)..."what am I going to do if I don't like any more of his stuff???" I just kind of felt numb to them all.

By the time I bought the EP I had all four songs on repeat and realised that not only did I love every nuance of each one...but that I couln't decide on one over the rest.

How did that happen??:blink:

Well, I think it was because they were always brilliant, they were always Mika at his best, Mika evolving musically, Mika being more confident in making music.....but the anticipation and expectation overwhelmed me at the start.

When I heard the snippets of WAG the same thing happened mixed with "Hmmmm, what will Joe Public make of that?? Will people like him more or less? Does it represent the Mika we all know? Will the world at large "get it"?"

I wasn't just listening for my own pleasure, I was listening with the ear of the public and wanting to know what they would think.

With that feeling out of the way I can now listen and enjoy and get to know every note, word, etc and add it to the growing collection of songs that I love and that make such a difference to my life.

I've been thinking a lot about this thing with Mika's songs, where we're not sure about the song when we first hear it, then we turn it off, and it plays in our heads, then we go back to it (because we're compelled to) and absolutely start to love it.

I have a theory about why that is.

It's because his songs are not like any other songs out there, so we don't really have a reference point to start off with. The first time we hear a Mika song we're hearing something completely new, and that can confuse us at first. Then when we hear it again, because subconciously we know it's good really, we start to understand the way it works and how intricate, yet brilliant, his song is! Then we love the song with a passion!

That's what I think anyway, don't know if anyone agrees.

It is longer by 30 secs.

He shouts the line

We are not what you think we are

We are golden, we are golden

and then the childen's choir comes in again and shouts out loud the same lines.

.. I think that's the difference.

Yeah- I'd pick the whispering end, if I was making the decision.

I've been playing WAG constantly while on breaks at work today ..... the more I listen to it .... the more I love it .... I can't get it out of my head .... :wub2:

Am definitely brainwashed :wink2:

I've been thinking a lot about this thing with Mika's songs, where we're not sure about the song when we first hear it, then we turn it off, and it plays in our heads, then we go back to it (because we're compelled to) and absolutely start to love it.

I have a theory about why that is.

It's because his songs are not like any other songs out there, so we don't really have a reference point to start off with. The first time we hear a Mika song we're hearing something completely new, and that can confuse us at first. Then when we hear it again, because subconciously we know it's good really, we start to understand the way it works and how intricate, yet brilliant, his song is! Then we love the song with a passion!

That's what I think anyway, don't know if anyone agrees.

I think it probably depends on the person...

As for me, I liked every single Mika song on LICM the first time I heard them and they were on different occasions as he had some up on Myspace before LICM was released and also sang some live at radio stations...

I also liked HMDYLM, Toy Boy, Blue Eyes, GGG and BIOTG the first time I heard them.

Rain and L.A. ... I was not sure about but I loved L.A. live and I expect Rain to have received some 'treatment' in the studio.

Lady Jane is a special song - I mainly love how it runs with the piano :teehee:

So, it seems to be that if I like a MIKA song first, I will love it 4 ever:biggrin2:

If we don't consider forming an opinion on the snippet and on the lyrics, WAG appealed to me the first time as well, but it was different. I kind of put it in the "radio-friendly like Hot'n'Cold, Poker Face or Just Dance" drawer...

Please don't anyone misquote this, I mean , when I first heard these I knew they would dominate European airwaves for months on end.. And I was right.

I sincerely hope I am right with my prediction this time, too:blush-anim-cl:...

I've been playing WAG constantly while on breaks at work today ..... the more I listen to it .... the more I love it .... I can't get it out of my head .... :wub2:

Am definitely brainwashed :wink2:

You'd better be prepared to sing along to it if he plays it live next week....

Lucky you.

And congratulations, by the way!:thumb_yello:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this before, but what Mika says about the choir on the Clive1 Glasgow interview, I didn't even noticed it :aah:

He said they wanted so much the choir to sing the chorus, but they didn't want to 'cause it has the word "damn", and it's not appropriate for a church choir.

So in the end, the choir sung instead : " Ohhh....ooooohhhh....come from" :teehee:

I had to listen to WAG again to be sure that it was like that, I hadn't put enough attention before :naughty:

Edited by Romis

Lucky you.

Are you going to see Mika live next week?? :)

Good luck Laurel! :thumb_yello:

Lucky you.

I now have even more reason to play it constantly ... I need to learn all the words by the 31st lol ... :aah:

Thank you :huglove:

:wub2:

Oops, you have quoted my post again, or which I received some harsh 'criticism' from a newbie or two.:teehee:... (though perhaps criticism is not really the best way to describe those words:cool:)

So, just in case anyone missed my many previous posts before, let me state that:

1., To me, someone's ability to write a song with a particular objective in mind gains my appeciation ..... (To tell you an example, Freddie Mercury wrote We Are The Champions with the purpose of writing a sing-along anthem.)

I salute people who can do that with ease. (I don't know if that's what happened in this case, too, but it made sense as Mika was talking about writing an album from a teenage perspective.)

2., To me, the ability to write a radio-friendly song is a gift I admire. Plus, if you don't have a song that can be played on the radio, you are out of the game, as simple as that.

3., There are different types of radio-friendly songs : there are cheesy ones, mainstream pop songs that everyone likes and the performer is actually replaceable as well as songs with something unique in them.

Now, Mika's singles, including this one (!) so far have all been unique and 'Mika-esque'. What I meant is that If I compare Love Today and WAG, for example, I'd say Love Today is a marmite song because of the dominance of the falsetto , whilst WAG has general appeal......though it needs to be confirmed by record sales if my assumption was correct or not..

Anyone is free to agree or disagree with that, it is just my reasoning for what I said or how I feel. :dunno:... and I love constructive debate.:wink2:

Well, I don't think he is reading this forum anymore, but I think everyone said they liked the song or at least predict it to be a massive hit.

If he reads, though, I am sure he can differenciate 'positive criticism', especially it it comes from hard core fans, including 'the famous Violet_sky':biggrin2:

:thumb_yello:

I quoted this as I agree 100%... and believe it or not I am enjoying the song more and more, it's only the lyrics 'teenage dreams' that is bugging me ..:wheelchair:.. (:naughty:)

...as you pointed out, it is just a too direct step from the stories we are used to..

I think you a right with your opinion, and you don't have to explain yourself :thumb_yello:

I just come from another angle: I think that Mikas songs are not written aiming at someone or something. I believe that he wants to tell a story and tries to find the sound that best transports what he is wanting to tell, or vice versa. Like when writing a song about teenagers he might want a sound that is rich, bombastic, at the same time transporting a sort of aggressive carelessness and anger about hurt feelings, and ends up with WAG. He knows exactly, what sound he wants, but I'd think that he knows very well that aiming at the mainstream would get him dangerously close to writing songs that are nothing but the smallest common denominator in music. He won't fall for that.

I believe that first when the songs go into production and they have to choose which ones to put on the album, people will start to give opinions what reception each of the new songs will get, and which would be a likely single or even a number one. My guess is that Universal was pretty happy that at least one of the 64 pieces he wrote had the quality of a mainstream radio-friendly song :wink2:

I can't stop listening to the Myspace version...

I'm sure we will have to fight to get into the venue at the next tour.

pre-gig:

:camping::argue::boxing: :lightsabre: :bash:

gig:

:band:

post-gig:

:woot_jump::omg_fans:

hahaha I love your smilies :thumb_yello:

but why fighting? here, we all seem to truly like each other, as if being a Mika fan would make us forget all the differences and the fact that we barely know the other people :teehee: That's really funny