MIKA @ Latitude Festival: 18-07-2009 REPORTS, PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

Suzy

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on England it's 8a.m already!

loving the pics and report(s) so far. Very proud of my boy:)

I mean husband:teehee:

Photographers always seem to capture his most inexplicable facial expressions during shows don't they?

P.s Mika doesn't wear socks

Report back from Latitude

Ok, so - got there easily enough but then spent about 2 hours queuing to get into the park, they kept changing the gates we were supposed to go in by so literally drove twice round the area which was enormous. Got in and parked and walked long way to the arenas through the forest - must be a lovely park to just ramble in. Everything very smooth getting in there, and it was a good atmosphere with all ages, and SUNSHINE! Thank God he wasn't on yesterday! No mud, hmmm, almost disappointed (festival virgin you see!).

Went to the Uncut Arena about 3pm and as it was filling up decided to stay there and see the act before. It was Paloma Faith, who I'd never heard of and she was brilliant, and so appropriate to have before Mika. The perfect warm up act for him actually although of course she wasn't there for that. Balloons, glitter, confetti, a good voice and presence, yup, she was like Mika-fun on a smaller scale.

After she went everyone moved forward and got crushed up a bit. Lots of people around age 15, 16. In came the piano, John, Cherisse wheeled in already in place at her drums (they were moving the gear in in a way that looked like it was gliding on an escalator, dunno how) and looking anxious about said drums. She fixed something and left. Then the orchestra came in with tall silver pointed glittery hats on (spec there's pictures here anyway so won't say much about the look of things). Couldn't see all the instruments they had but there were quite a few. Then all the others came in together including Mika in electric orange jacket.

After a quiet Hello Latitude, he started straight in on GK, then Blue Eyes. Then he went to the what's it called, (small instrument, is it a celeste???) and said would sing Toy Boy and that he'd just sung it on the radio and really confused Dermot O'Leary as it was about a 'homosexual toy' (His words). Of course it was great and went down well where I was I think. (I was about 10 rows back).

Small moment of much amusement afterwards for me I have to confess, as, when it finished a girl in front turned round to her friend behind and said in utter incredulity 'Is Mika gay??' Probably the last person in England not to have heard the speculation!!

Then he went back to the piano and sang Billy Brown, so that was quite an interesting pairing of songs. He said something about the big tent being noisy and couldn't they turn it down and that we would challenge them by being the quietest. You could hear the bass coming from there but it wasn't loud enough to interfere and spoil anything (for me anyway).

Next was 'Over My Shoulder'. (I really hope I'm getting this in the right order and not leaving anything out - v sorry if so). That was the highlight for me, it sounded absolutely heavenly and it hit me again what an amazingly beautiful voice he has and what a skilled singer he is! I didn't actually like that track on the single it was on, but live both here and Amsterdam it was incredible. And I really didn't expect it to be spectacular in this environment as you haven't got the perfect acoustics of the Concertgebouw. I've just got to say it again, he is a seriously, seriously talented artist, in a different league to most. But y'all know that...!

Mmmmm...where was I? OK in terms of the crowd, and despite the beauty of the song and his voice, I'd say that - and I can only speak for the section I was in -he lost them a bit with Over My Shoulder. Some started checking texts or talking a bit and one started looking at the programme. It wasn't a lot, and there was plenty of applause at the end, but I could sense a change in the vibe.

And brilliantly, he then grabbed their attention right back with a snowstorm of white confetti and 'Big Girl'. It was all pretty lively and upbeat then with the LICM hits and Blame it on the Girls. Can't remember the order I'm afraid but we had a great SITM, LT and Lollipop (at the end I think). He danced quite a bit and ended on the piano like in Amsterdam. I dunno if anyone else would agree but I think there was a bit of a deliberately sexier edge to the dancing than before - maybe that's part of the move- from-childhood-to-adolescence theme?? Or maybe it's my imagination, but I don't recall it so much from Hammersmith or Brixton in 08... He'd never struck me as a particularly effective dancer before, but I thought he was good today.

Ended with telling us the first new single was out on Monday.

Other observations - he didn't seem as excited and happy at first as he was in Amsterdam (but then that was really special). To me I thought he looked a bit preoccupied at first. Then he got into it more. Either way he gave 100% and had the usual skill and charisma and professionalism we expect.

I did enjoy it a lot, but it would have been nice to have had more of the new songs or 'Songs for Sorrow'. I assume he focussed on the upbeat items because of it being a festival environment which was really sensible actually.

Oh yeah - and can anyone tell me - is there an age limit on appreciating good music? Or attending a festival?? I'd just like to say a personal f**k you to the drunk, red-faced idiot behind me who said 'you're even older than I am, what are you doing here?' I think its safe to say not a member of this club...

Not going to end on that note though, I had a great time, loved the festival environment, the food, the sunshine, Paloma Faith - and most of all, our man who definitely made it worth going.

Off to wash the festival dust off now....bye for now xx

Thank you, Ellie, for a serious, thorough and still lively and vibrant report :bow: !

Don't worry, a maiden festival doesn't have to be wet. The sun must have felt good :wub2: .

OMS... yes, even when his voice wavers a bit, it's sheer heaven :swoon: .

Drunks ? They are a curse :sneaky2: , and sadly not only at festivals :wink2:.

You must have been tempted to punch him in his beer belly, but then he would probably have thrown up his booze all over you, better take the high road and ignore the goon.

Do you notice that when he performs at festivals Sire, who hardly wears any jewellery in theatres, is decorated like a Xmas tree ?

The blue sneakers are a bit of an eyesore, what with the beads and orange jacket. Plus, he was wearing them without socks :shocked: ... good thing it was an out of doors venue :roftl: !

Cheers,

Id3

Report back from Latitude

Ok, so - got there easily enough but then spent about 2 hours queuing to get into the park, they kept changing the gates we were supposed to go in by so literally drove twice round the area which was enormous. Got in and parked and walked long way to the arenas through the forest - must be a lovely park to just ramble in. Everything very smooth getting in there, and it was a good atmosphere with all ages, and SUNSHINE! Thank God he wasn't on yesterday! No mud, hmmm, almost disappointed (festival virgin you see!).

Went to the Uncut Arena about 3pm and as it was filling up decided to stay there and see the act before. It was Paloma Faith, who I'd never heard of and she was brilliant, and so appropriate to have before Mika. The perfect warm up act for him actually although of course she wasn't there for that. Balloons, glitter, confetti, a good voice and presence, yup, she was like Mika-fun on a smaller scale.

After she went everyone moved forward and got crushed up a bit. Lots of people around age 15, 16. In came the piano, John, Cherisse wheeled in already in place at her drums (they were moving the gear in in a way that looked like it was gliding on an escalator, dunno how) and looking anxious about said drums. She fixed something and left. Then the orchestra came in with tall silver pointed glittery hats on (spec there's pictures here anyway so won't say much about the look of things). Couldn't see all the instruments they had but there were quite a few. Then all the others came in together including Mika in electric orange jacket.

After a quiet Hello Latitude, he started straight in on GK, then Blue Eyes. Then he went to the what's it called, (small instrument, is it a celeste???) and said would sing Toy Boy and that he'd just sung it on the radio and really confused Dermot O'Leary as it was about a 'homosexual toy' (His words). Of course it was great and went down well where I was I think. (I was about 10 rows back).

Small moment of much amusement afterwards for me I have to confess, as, when it finished a girl in front turned round to her friend behind and said in utter incredulity 'Is Mika gay??' Probably the last person in England not to have heard the speculation!!

Then he went back to the piano and sang Billy Brown, so that was quite an interesting pairing of songs. He said something about the big tent being noisy and couldn't they turn it down and that we would challenge them by being the quietest. You could hear the bass coming from there but it wasn't loud enough to interfere and spoil anything (for me anyway).

Next was 'Over My Shoulder'. (I really hope I'm getting this in the right order and not leaving anything out - v sorry if so). That was the highlight for me, it sounded absolutely heavenly and it hit me again what an amazingly beautiful voice he has and what a skilled singer he is! I didn't actually like that track on the single it was on, but live both here and Amsterdam it was incredible. And I really didn't expect it to be spectacular in this environment as you haven't got the perfect acoustics of the Concertgebouw. I've just got to say it again, he is a seriously, seriously talented artist, in a different league to most. But y'all know that...!

Mmmmm...where was I? OK in terms of the crowd, and despite the beauty of the song and his voice, I'd say that - and I can only speak for the section I was in -he lost them a bit with Over My Shoulder. Some started checking texts or talking a bit and one started looking at the programme. It wasn't a lot, and there was plenty of applause at the end, but I could sense a change in the vibe.

And brilliantly, he then grabbed their attention right back with a snowstorm of white confetti and 'Big Girl'. It was all pretty lively and upbeat then with the LICM hits and Blame it on the Girls. Can't remember the order I'm afraid but we had a great SITM, LT and Lollipop (at the end I think). He danced quite a bit and ended on the piano like in Amsterdam. I dunno if anyone else would agree but I think there was a bit of a deliberately sexier edge to the dancing than before - maybe that's part of the move- from-childhood-to-adolescence theme?? Or maybe it's my imagination, but I don't recall it so much from Hammersmith or Brixton in 08... He'd never struck me as a particularly effective dancer before, but I thought he was good today.

Ended with telling us the first new single was out on Monday.

Other observations - he didn't seem as excited and happy at first as he was in Amsterdam (but then that was really special). To me I thought he looked a bit preoccupied at first. Then he got into it more. Either way he gave 100% and had the usual skill and charisma and professionalism we expect.

I did enjoy it a lot, but it would have been nice to have had more of the new songs or 'Songs for Sorrow'. I assume he focussed on the upbeat items because of it being a festival environment which was really sensible actually.

Oh yeah - and can anyone tell me - is there an age limit on appreciating good music? Or attending a festival?? I'd just like to say a personal f**k you to the drunk, red-faced idiot behind me who said 'you're even older than I am, what are you doing here?' I think its safe to say not a member of this club...

Not going to end on that note though, I had a great time, loved the festival environment, the food, the sunshine, Paloma Faith - and most of all, our man who definitely made it worth going.

Off to wash the festival dust off now....bye for now xx

many thanks, Ellie! :flowers2:....very, very lovely report :wink2:

Babs, didn't realise you went....too bad he didn't put on your glasses.. he is not as obliging as he once was these days :sneaky2:

Oh he was very obliging there were only about eight of us there.

He laughed at me. :tears::lmfao:

Oh he was very obliging there were only about eight of us there.

He laughed at me. :tears::lmfao:

i wonder why :wink2: u should have asked him why he never answers u on twitter :biggrin2:

I'd seen her being interviewed and my son had said, 'Paloma? That's not a name.' So I'd explained about Mika's sister. And d'you know what? He rolled his eyes at me :roftl:

It's a good job lots of us Oldlings hadn't managed to go :sneaky2:

thanks Dani for the pics :wub2: and purplecat for the link.

You know, there are 2 links from purplecat - the whole interview (including Toy Boy) and one that is just Toy Boy. Both lovely :blush-anim-cl:

Yes he did, yet again. :thumb_yello:

Bab, it's like getting blood out of a stone with you :mf_rosetinted:

Do you notice that when he performs at festivals Sire, who hardly wears any jewellery in theatres, is decorated like a Xmas tree ?

The blue sneakers are a bit of an eyesore, what with the beads and orange jacket. Plus, he was wearing them without socks :shocked: ... good thing it was an out of doors venue :roftl: !

Cheers,

Id3

I couldn't help but smile when I saw his outfit this time!:naughty:

Maybe mum and sis went on vacation and left the poor boy home alone :blink: to make his own choices in the wardrobe?

And maybe he wanted to please a little cousin by wearing the necklace he got as a gift, made by the little cousin in pre-school, so cute!:wub2:

Bab, it's like getting blood out of a stone with you :mf_rosetinted:

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

But she has a heart of gold!:wub2:

Edited by sienna

I think the review is a bit disappointing, because they never mentioned his new stuff or the single. But I see nothing wrong with Mika being thought of as someone kids can relate to, or his gigs being like parties or pantomimes. Mika IS a big kid lets face it, and it's far better for him to be thought of as someone kids love, than someone who is lewd and coarse and only fit for an 18+ audiance.

I love Mika's sense of fun. His gigs are like parties and he brings out the inner child in all of us, including me, who is 54 years old, he is wonderful and he really is our 'Golden Boy'.

But I agree that the reviewer shoud have mentioned the music and especially his new stuff

I couldn't help but smile when I saw his outfit this time!:naughty:

Maybe mum and sis went on vacation and left the poor boy home alone :blink: to make his own choices in the wardrobe?

And maybe he wanted to please a little cousin by wearing the necklace he got as a gift, made by the little cousin in preeschool, so cute!:wub2:

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

But she has a heart of gold!:wub2:

Well Mama P was there along with Papa P and Fortune. Andy was also there. I didn't see any of the girls though.

Well Mama P was there along with Papa P and Fortune. Andy was also there. I didn't see any of the girls though.

Yeah he said that Yasmine was painting the album cover so that's why she wasn't there.

Hi! So according to this drunken guy, there is an age limit to go to a Mika gig... He should stop drinking and get a life...

Cheers,

Id3

:lmao: