MIKA @ Latitude Festival: 18-07-2009 REPORTS, PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

Suzy

I had a great time, loved the festival environment, the food, the sunshine, Paloma Faith - and most of all, our man who definitely made it worth going.

Off to wash the festival dust off now....bye for now xx

Thanks for a lovely report, Ellie! And you saw Paloma Faith, too? Love her!

Wait a minute . . . the single is out on monday??? Or just baing played on monday? :boxed:

No just being played on Monday, I'm afraid. We still have to wait to OWN it,

but at least we finally can HEAR it!

I looked at my cell phone a while ago and discovered that Rose had called

me around 3 p.m. UK time! How did I miss it? I never heard it ring. When

I tried to call her back, I got an error message -- service temporarily

unavailable :sneaky2:

I texted her but never heard anything back...

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@BBCLatitude: @BBC6MusicNews: #Latitude Mika at an impromptu sing-along around a grand piano in the woods

@BBC6MusicNews: #Latitude Mika at an impromptu sing-along around a grand piano in the woods

@BBCLatitude: BBC_Radio_2: See pictures of Dermot and his guests at #Latitude, including Doves, Bat For Lashes, Mika and more! http://tinyurl.com/m5qwlf

62386_2.jpg

@simonmayo: And just missed The Airborne Toxic Event. Chiz chiz. But Mika was very good.

@Palomafaith: finally met mika.his sister is called paloma!

@simonmayo: Didn't make it to Grace Jones, DrMJrNo3 needed to come home emotionally exhausted after Mika gig at Latitude.Think I might buy an orange jkt

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/blogs/barnesys_blog_party.aspx?PostURL=http%3A//www.eadt.co.uk/cs_eadt/cs/blogs/barnesys_blog_party/archive/2009/07/18/1763230.aspx

Latitude Day 2: High camp, an X Factor star and a 'banned' MP

JEEZ, I felt knackered this morning. I must have walked miles yesterday - in ill-fitting wellies to boot - even if most of it was round in circles. I thought it'd leave it a bit later to make my way over to the festival site today; factor in a little recovery time.

As it was, I got to Henham just in time to catch the second half of the set of probably the biggest current pop star in the line-up - that giant goofball Mika.

I was a bit bemused when it emerged he was playing an "acoustic" set. Why, I thought? Thom Yorke plays an acoustic set, fine, but Mika?! It was a bit like Status Quo announcing a show without drums. I can only imagine he was worried he couldn't quite out-camp the Pet Shop Boys, and this was a way of playing things down a bit.

He was playing it down a bit too much, I thought, when I wriggled in to an Uncut Arena packed to the rafters, and swarming with children. There were kids propped up on the mixing desk and sitting on every other pair of shoulders. I couldn't see Mika on stage from my distant vantage point, but I could hear a godawful piano ballad. It was almost moving the kids to tears: "I thought this man was supposed to be fun, mummy..."

Then - BOOM! - tickertape filled the air, Mika fended off the flakes with a silver umbrella, and a group of people wearing pointy hats at the side of the stage went loopy. So did everyone else, for one of his big hits, Big Girl. Now that is high camp of the highest campsite. The big party tunes kept coming as the big man worked himself up into a frenzy. Still not quite sure about the acoustic thing, but it was quite good fun, I have to admit. You're not going to see Thom Yorke dancing on a piano, are you?

I wandered over to the Obelisk Arena where Patrick Wolf was playing a song that sounded just like Eye of the Tiger. In fact, I think it actually was. I've heard this guy's name an awful lot, I only wish I had never heard his music. It was like scraping a violin along a pavement. I thought he looked like the blond one from McFly after being dressed up by his big sister. And, that was it, I decided. NO MORE CAMP POP TODAY!

White Lies were much more like it. Songs about anger and death, and not one costume change. Then it was a trip over to the Uncut for the sugary sounds of Camera Obscura, although not sweet enough for former cabinet minister Geoff Hoon, who was seen leaving halfway through. And, anyway, wasn't he supposed to be banned - or at the least not welcome? I hope he didn't put his ticket on expenses.

Doves were up next on the main stage. I love Doves. Their songs just sound so strong and solid, like a well-built house. You know exactly what you're going to get. Dermot O'Leary, standing just a few feet away, seemed to be enjoying it too, when he wasn't signing balloons for children or posing with drunk, but still very polite, festival-lites. The drum bit at the end of There Goes The Fear was amazing, as always.

And so to Grace Jones, as the heavens began to open. Most of the group I was with went running for cover and Spiritualized, but I stayed put - and I'm glad I did. For all the costume changes, the between-songs babbling (from out of view, as she changed) and, oh yes, the soaking, I thought she was mesmeric. The beats swung from disco to reggae to rock, while Jones prowled the stage like a lionness as beams of light shot around her. We even got a little pole dance.

I found it difficult to pull myself away, but I did, just to grab an earful of Spiritualized, who sounded amazing. I even saw Dermot sneak in the tent to join the indie action. I truly hope to see Jimi Goodwin or Jason Pierce giving one of those masterclasses on X Factor this year.

What a great, strange day. Probably a bit too camp for my liking, but I'm going to be very serious watching Thom Yorke tomorrow, so I suppose it's best I get it out of my system.

Bring on day three...

posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:30 PM by jonb

@BBCLatitude: @BBC6MusicNews: #Latitude Mika at an impromptu sing-along around a grand piano in the woods

@BBC6MusicNews: #Latitude Mika at an impromptu sing-along around a grand piano in the woods

:shocked:

My thoughts exactly!!! :roftl:

Thanks for a lovely report, Ellie! And you saw Paloma Faith, too? Love her!

No just being played on Monday, I'm afraid. We still have to wait to OWN it,

but at least we finally can HEAR it!

I looked at my cell phone a while ago and discovered that Rose had called

me around 3 p.m. UK time! How did I miss it? I never heard it ring. When

I tried to call her back, I got an error message -- service temporarily

unavailable :sneaky2:

I texted her but never heard anything back...

rose's regular cell is being repaired, she has a rental at the moment, which she doesn't like. i don't know if it has anything to do with that :dunno:

Thanks for the report Ellie.

I always find Mika to take awhile to warm up in these situations. Guess because he hasn't done a festival in a long time. Soundsi like a good show though.

Are you staying near the park?

I actually thought he was really relaxed and looked like he was enjoying himself. I asked him how he thought it went down and he said he thought well he was happy with the response.

I actually thought he was really relaxed and looked like he was enjoying himself. I asked him how he thought it went down and he said he thought well he was happy with the response.

Oh snap! I didn't know you went. Well, how was it? Any specific funny things that happened? :dunno:

Thanks for the report, Ellie, and sorry about the drunk jerk. Had to put up with some today too:naughty::huglove:

And thanks to the one who posted the reviews!

I LOVE OMS, but I understand most people might not enjoy it and even less kids..

Report back from Latitude

Ok, so - got there easily enough but then spent about 2 hours queuing to get into the park, they kept changing the gates we were supposed to go in by so literally drove twice round the area which was enormous. Got in and parked and walked long way to the arenas through the forest - must be a lovely park to just ramble in. Everything very smooth getting in there, and it was a good atmosphere with all ages, and SUNSHINE! Thank God he wasn't on yesterday! No mud, hmmm, almost disappointed (festival virgin you see!).

Went to the Uncut Arena about 3pm and as it was filling up decided to stay there and see the act before. It was Paloma Faith, who I'd never heard of and she was brilliant, and so appropriate to have before Mika. The perfect warm up act for him actually although of course she wasn't there for that. Balloons, glitter, confetti, a good voice and presence, yup, she was like Mika-fun on a smaller scale.

After she went everyone moved forward and got crushed up a bit. Lots of people around age 15, 16. In came the piano, John, Cherisse wheeled in already in place at her drums (they were moving the gear in in a way that looked like it was gliding on an escalator, dunno how) and looking anxious about said drums. She fixed something and left. Then the orchestra came in with tall silver pointed glittery hats on (spec there's pictures here anyway so won't say much about the look of things). Couldn't see all the instruments they had but there were quite a few. Then all the others came in together including Mika in electric orange jacket.

After a quiet Hello Latitude, he started straight in on GK, then Blue Eyes. Then he went to the what's it called, (small instrument, is it a celeste???) and said would sing Toy Boy and that he'd just sung it on the radio and really confused Dermot O'Leary as it was about a 'homosexual toy' (His words). Of course it was great and went down well where I was I think. (I was about 10 rows back).

Small moment of much amusement afterwards for me I have to confess, as, when it finished a girl in front turned round to her friend behind and said in utter incredulity 'Is Mika gay??' Probably the last person in England not to have heard the speculation!!

Then he went back to the piano and sang Billy Brown, so that was quite an interesting pairing of songs. He said something about the big tent being noisy and couldn't they turn it down and that we would challenge them by being the quietest. You could hear the bass coming from there but it wasn't loud enough to interfere and spoil anything (for me anyway).

Next was 'Over My Shoulder'. (I really hope I'm getting this in the right order and not leaving anything out - v sorry if so). That was the highlight for me, it sounded absolutely heavenly and it hit me again what an amazingly beautiful voice he has and what a skilled singer he is! I didn't actually like that track on the single it was on, but live both here and Amsterdam it was incredible. And I really didn't expect it to be spectacular in this environment as you haven't got the perfect acoustics of the Concertgebouw. I've just got to say it again, he is a seriously, seriously talented artist, in a different league to most. But y'all know that...!

Mmmmm...where was I? OK in terms of the crowd, and despite the beauty of the song and his voice, I'd say that - and I can only speak for the section I was in -he lost them a bit with Over My Shoulder. Some started checking texts or talking a bit and one started looking at the programme. It wasn't a lot, and there was plenty of applause at the end, but I could sense a change in the vibe.

And brilliantly, he then grabbed their attention right back with a snowstorm of white confetti and 'Big Girl'. It was all pretty lively and upbeat then with the LICM hits and Blame it on the Girls. Can't remember the order I'm afraid but we had a great SITM, LT and Lollipop (at the end I think). He danced quite a bit and ended on the piano like in Amsterdam. I dunno if anyone else would agree but I think there was a bit of a deliberately sexier edge to the dancing than before - maybe that's part of the move- from-childhood-to-adolescence theme?? Or maybe it's my imagination, but I don't recall it so much from Hammersmith or Brixton in 08... He'd never struck me as a particularly effective dancer before, but I thought he was good today.

Ended with telling us the first new single was out on Monday.

Other observations - he didn't seem as excited and happy at first as he was in Amsterdam (but then that was really special). To me I thought he looked a bit preoccupied at first. Then he got into it more. Either way he gave 100% and had the usual skill and charisma and professionalism we expect.

I did enjoy it a lot, but it would have been nice to have had more of the new songs or 'Songs for Sorrow'. I assume he focussed on the upbeat items because of it being a festival environment which was really sensible actually.

Oh yeah - and can anyone tell me - is there an age limit on appreciating good music? Or attending a festival?? I'd just like to say a personal f**k you to the drunk, red-faced idiot behind me who said 'you're even older than I am, what are you doing here?' I think its safe to say not a member of this club...

Not going to end on that note though, I had a great time, loved the festival environment, the food, the sunshine, Paloma Faith - and most of all, our man who definitely made it worth going.

Thanks for sharing ellie :wub2:

Babs, didn't realise you went....too bad he didn't put on your glasses.. he is not as obliging as he once was these days :sneaky2:

The gig sounds fab from reviews and that impromptu performance in the woods.. sounds like one of my dreams... good stuff.:thumb_yello:

Thanks Suzy for posting this

Preshow interview and performance of Toy Boy on BBC Radio 2

62386_2.jpg

mp3 from Purplecat

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YDAQJJEV

Photos posted by Dani

hslzmf.jpg

2ce13py.jpg

hraqoj.jpg

17vh4n.jpg

2lc5phj.jpg

T4P:thumb_yello:

Report back from Latitude

Ok, so - got there easily enough but then spent about 2 hours queuing to get into the park, they kept changing the gates we were supposed to go in by so literally drove twice round the area which was enormous. Got in and parked and walked long way to the arenas through the forest - must be a lovely park to just ramble in. Everything very smooth getting in there, and it was a good atmosphere with all ages, and SUNSHINE! Thank God he wasn't on yesterday! No mud, hmmm, almost disappointed (festival virgin you see!).

Went to the Uncut Arena about 3pm and as it was filling up decided to stay there and see the act before. It was Paloma Faith, who I'd never heard of and she was brilliant, and so appropriate to have before Mika. The perfect warm up act for him actually although of course she wasn't there for that. Balloons, glitter, confetti, a good voice and presence, yup, she was like Mika-fun on a smaller scale.

After she went everyone moved forward and got crushed up a bit. Lots of people around age 15, 16. In came the piano, John, Cherisse wheeled in already in place at her drums (they were moving the gear in in a way that looked like it was gliding on an escalator, dunno how) and looking anxious about said drums. She fixed something and left. Then the orchestra came in with tall silver pointed glittery hats on (spec there's pictures here anyway so won't say much about the look of things). Couldn't see all the instruments they had but there were quite a few. Then all the others came in together including Mika in electric orange jacket.

After a quiet Hello Latitude, he started straight in on GK, then Blue Eyes. Then he went to the what's it called, (small instrument, is it a celeste???) and said would sing Toy Boy and that he'd just sung it on the radio and really confused Dermot O'Leary as it was about a 'homosexual toy' (His words). Of course it was great and went down well where I was I think. (I was about 10 rows back).

Small moment of much amusement afterwards for me I have to confess, as, when it finished a girl in front turned round to her friend behind and said in utter incredulity 'Is Mika gay??' Probably the last person in England not to have heard the speculation!!

Then he went back to the piano and sang Billy Brown, so that was quite an interesting pairing of songs. He said something about the big tent being noisy and couldn't they turn it down and that we would challenge them by being the quietest. You could hear the bass coming from there but it wasn't loud enough to interfere and spoil anything (for me anyway).

Next was 'Over My Shoulder'. (I really hope I'm getting this in the right order and not leaving anything out - v sorry if so). That was the highlight for me, it sounded absolutely heavenly and it hit me again what an amazingly beautiful voice he has and what a skilled singer he is! I didn't actually like that track on the single it was on, but live both here and Amsterdam it was incredible. And I really didn't expect it to be spectacular in this environment as you haven't got the perfect acoustics of the Concertgebouw. I've just got to say it again, he is a seriously, seriously talented artist, in a different league to most. But y'all know that...!

Mmmmm...where was I? OK in terms of the crowd, and despite the beauty of the song and his voice, I'd say that - and I can only speak for the section I was in -he lost them a bit with Over My Shoulder. Some started checking texts or talking a bit and one started looking at the programme. It wasn't a lot, and there was plenty of applause at the end, but I could sense a change in the vibe.

And brilliantly, he then grabbed their attention right back with a snowstorm of white confetti and 'Big Girl'. It was all pretty lively and upbeat then with the LICM hits and Blame it on the Girls. Can't remember the order I'm afraid but we had a great SITM, LT and Lollipop (at the end I think). He danced quite a bit and ended on the piano like in Amsterdam. I dunno if anyone else would agree but I think there was a bit of a deliberately sexier edge to the dancing than before - maybe that's part of the move- from-childhood-to-adolescence theme?? Or maybe it's my imagination, but I don't recall it so much from Hammersmith or Brixton in 08... He'd never struck me as a particularly effective dancer before, but I thought he was good today.

Ended with telling us the first new single was out on Monday.

Other observations - he didn't seem as excited and happy at first as he was in Amsterdam (but then that was really special). To me I thought he looked a bit preoccupied at first. Then he got into it more. Either way he gave 100% and had the usual skill and charisma and professionalism we expect.

I did enjoy it a lot, but it would have been nice to have had more of the new songs or 'Songs for Sorrow'. I assume he focussed on the upbeat items because of it being a festival environment which was really sensible actually.

Oh yeah - and can anyone tell me - is there an age limit on appreciating good music? Or attending a festival?? I'd just like to say a personal f**k you to the drunk, red-faced idiot behind me who said 'you're even older than I am, what are you doing here?' I think its safe to say not a member of this club...

Not going to end on that note though, I had a great time, loved the festival environment, the food, the sunshine, Paloma Faith - and most of all, our man who definitely made it worth going.

Loved your report thanks girl:wub2:

(to the stupid drunk one I have to say this;:mad3::mad3::mad3:)

Going to read the rest of the thread later on,didn't sleep yet,have to sleep ,now!!

so you got to speak to him! good for you! did he sign the flag?