MIKA @ Latitude Festival: 18-07-2009 REPORTS, PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

Suzy

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was sleeping peacefully, and at 6.30am, I was woken by a text from Babs, asking if I could drive her to Latitude (because her neck was still not great, and she couldn't drive), if she got hold of a ticket for me!

Well, when I got up and started to focus on what just happened, I realised tha I could only say one thing.

Of course!

So, by 8.30am, I was on the road to Welwyn to pick Babs up, thinking, how the heck did I get this lucky?

Picked Babs up at 11, and we hit the road to Suffolk, on an incredibly glorious sunny day. At one point a couple of raindrops appeared on the windscreen, but they vanished as soon as they came.

We got to Latitude about 2pm, and after driving a round in a circle, because they decided to change the gate for Day Ticketers from green to red, we got in parked up and I went to pick up a ticket from the box office (thanks again Babs, you're a star), and we eventually (blimey, what a walk) got into the arena area.

When we had had a coffee to boost us again, we went into the Uncut tent, got up the front (by the speakers, left of the stage), and watched Paloma Faith, who was dressed in a circus assistants blue and white sparkly leotard. The stage had balloons, and giant dominoes littered around it. She's quite good live, and certainly got he crowd ready for Mika.

After she had finished, while they were setting the stage up for Mika, Andy popped out, and we said a quick hello, before he dashed off. saw John on stage, was surprised, as he never usually does that, but after seeing Ellies report, I understand why.

Mika came on and did brilliant set, got GK spot on, no duff notes, celesta worked pefectly for Toy Boy (he did take off his long beads, as he said they were choking him),STIM was when the planes were released, he got everyone singing along to the chorus of BIOTG, surprisingly did OMS, but not Relax, Rain or Lady Jane. For the storm before BG, he had a glittery silver umbrella, and Dan and Alexander played the dustbins for Lollipop.

Me and Babs were stood beside these young lads, to start with, an a lady with her children behind us. At first it seemed she was trying to push her whole family in between us and the boys, but it was only her 2 little girls who were tiny, so we let them in, in fact one of the boys ended up with one of the girls on his shoulders for a while (he wasn't really much taller, bless him). But near the end people started pushing from the back, and the 2 little one started getting pushed into the barrier, so the mum asked security to get them out. Funnily, two other girls asked to go over as well, I think the thought they would get round the back, but they just got taken to the other end of the barrier, an llifted out again.

While Blue Eyes was on, me and Babs were singing away, and the lady was puzzled, and said, "Wow, you are real Mika fans!" and I asked her di she not have the EP, and she looked at me blankly and said "what EP?"

Guess I'm hardcore! LOL!!!

When it finished, and the crowd went off (the tent was PACKED!), Andy came over, through the crowd. He said he'd got a rare weekend off, and watched the set from the audience for a change. He told us the video for WAG is brilliant, and they worked really hard on it, and hope we like the single. He was surprised to hear about the clip, that's circulating, and asked what was on it. But he doesn't go on the net much, as he seems to be solidly working, and when we talked about Mikas tweets, he looked completely blank and said he hadn't got a clue what we were talking about, ha ha! Then he went off to see Patrick Wolf.

After we caught up with Fanny, Steph, Sophie, LeRei and MikaClip, and chatted for a while about the set, just hanging around the tent.

I never expected Mika to come out to talk to anyone, festivals aren't usually easy to do that at. But he eventually did for 10 mins, took a few pics with people (thank you Steph, looking forward to seeing them). He was really sweet, and chatty, but apologised, that he had to go and do another interview, and went off again. I asked him if it was okay to dress up at Bestival, and he said it was, so the Golden Astronaut is on!

I did try to encourage him to go to Grace Jones, but so many people were talking, I don't think he heard, but I hope he did. I wanted to, but there was an evil looking rain cloud hovering just before she came on, so I legged it back to the van, but all it did was drizzle! I was gutted!

We then just sat in the sun outside the tent, listened to Scott Matthews, Newton Faulkener (both amazing live), drinking and chatting for a while. Mika went off after an hour into the crowd, to see some of the other acts I assume.

So we just chilled, tried to recruit some people to MFC and just had a great time, for the rest of the night.

I think I got home, about 5am this morning:naughty:

Your day sounds sooo much FUN!!!!!!.

Thanks for posting!!!

Mika singing 'I will survive' with Dan on the piano with a bunch of people in the woods!!! :shocked:

:biggrin2::biggrin2:

This is soooooo CUTE!!!!

3733551220_21a2601eb8.jpg

Multi-coloured sheep....and it appears The Woods is a location within Latitude

Very country rainbow:biggrin2:

Thanks for the reports and pics everyone!:thumb_yello:

I specially like the I'll survive clip:naughty:

Rose, what clip are you talking about? Is is the WAG snippet at that french site?:blink:

Yes, that's the one.

REVIEW:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/default/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=LatitudeFestival&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED19%20Jul%202009%2010%3A19%3A49%3A827

Uncut Arena, Saturday

Brit Award-winning singer-songwriter Mika made his first festival appearance for two years in the Uncut Arena on Saturday afternoon. But would the flamboyant star's acoustic performance be as low-key as it sounded? Of course not. Before he took to the stage, paper aeroplanes were handed out to audience members with an instruction to throw them on hearing the words 'Scooby Doo', while his backing band were working some elaborate glittery headwear. And the man himself was resplendant in an orange neon jacket.

His 40-minute set was a romp through his greatest hits - the show opened with the jaunty chart topping Grace Kelly - and a sneak preview of some new songs, which will feature on his sophomore album to be released later this year.

Mika has an incredible vocal range - the Freddie Mercury comparisons are spot on. And he's another performer who really knows how to put on a great show. Highlights included the Marmite-y Big Girl You Are Beautiful: you either find the lyrics empowering or patronising but it's a fantastic tune, Love Today, which was heralded by a shower of confetti, and the finale Lollipop, which saw Mika wearing a neon feather head-dress and banging on a makeshift beer keg drum before dozens of white balloons were released into the crowd. He was back with a bang.

Edited by A. Clay

thanks for the gig report rose! i was surprised to hear you had gone!

good for you!

Kind of a surprise to me to at 6.30am,after going to bed at 4am!:naughty:

I don't do early on Saturdays, usually.

But couldn't turn this down.

Thanks for the report, Rose. I am glad you had a great day :)

Paloma was there, I think - Paloma Faith said she met her.

And for the links to dumblesam, Miro.

Thanks for your report Rose, I am so glad you and Bab went, and you had a chat.

From memory Paloma Faith tweeted she met M and his sister is called Paloma. It doesn't confirm Paloma went.

Thanks for your report Rose, I am so glad you and Bab went, and you had a chat.

From memory Paloma Faith tweeted she met M and his sister is called Paloma. It doesn't confirm Paloma went.

It was great that Babs got to chat with him, she doesn't often get the chance.

Well, I was sleeping peacefully, and at 6.30am, I was woken by a text from Babs, asking if I could drive her to Latitude (because her neck was still not great, and she couldn't drive), if she got hold of a ticket for me!

Well, when I got up and started to focus on what just happened, I realised tha I could only say one thing.

Of course!

So, by 8.30am, I was on the road to Welwyn to pick Babs up, thinking, how the heck did I get this lucky?

Picked Babs up at 11, and we hit the road to Suffolk, on an incredibly glorious sunny day. At one point a couple of raindrops appeared on the windscreen, but they vanished as soon as they came.

We got to Latitude about 2pm, and after driving a round in a circle, because they decided to change the gate for Day Ticketers from green to red, we got in parked up and I went to pick up a ticket from the box office (thanks again Babs, you're a star), and we eventually (blimey, what a walk) got into the arena area.

When we had had a coffee to boost us again, we went into the Uncut tent, got up the front (by the speakers, left of the stage), and watched Paloma Faith, who was dressed in a circus assistants blue and white sparkly leotard. The stage had balloons, and giant dominoes littered around it. She's quite good live, and certainly got he crowd ready for Mika.

After she had finished, while they were setting the stage up for Mika, Andy popped out, and we said a quick hello, before he dashed off. saw John on stage, was surprised, as he never usually does that, but after seeing Ellies report, I understand why.

Mika came on and did brilliant set, got GK spot on, no duff notes, celesta worked pefectly for Toy Boy (he did take off his long beads, as he said they were choking him),STIM was when the planes were released, he got everyone singing along to the chorus of BIOTG, surprisingly did OMS, but not Relax, Rain or Lady Jane. For the storm before BG, he had a glittery silver umbrella, and Dan and Alexander played the dustbins for Lollipop.

Me and Babs were stood beside these young lads, to start with, an a lady with her children behind us. At first it seemed she was trying to push her whole family in between us and the boys, but it was only her 2 little girls who were tiny, so we let them in, in fact one of the boys ended up with one of the girls on his shoulders for a while (he wasn't really much taller, bless him). But near the end people started pushing from the back, and the 2 little one started getting pushed into the barrier, so the mum asked security to get them out. Funnily, two other girls asked to go over as well, I think the thought they would get round the back, but they just got taken to the other end of the barrier, an llifted out again.

While Blue Eyes was on, me and Babs were singing away, and the lady was puzzled, and said, "Wow, you are real Mika fans!" and I asked her di she not have the EP, and she looked at me blankly and said "what EP?"

When it finished, and the crowd went off (the tent was PACKED!), Andy came over, through the crowd. He said he'd got a rare weekend off, and watched the set from the audience for a change. He told us the video for WAG is brilliant, and they worked really hard on it, and hope we like the single. He was surprised to hear about the clip, that's circulating, and asked what was on it. But he doesn't go on the net much, as he seems to be solidly working, and when we talked about Mikas tweets, he looked completely blank and said he hadn't got a clue what we were talking about, ha ha! Then he went off to see Patrick Wolf.

After we caught up with Fanny, Steph, Sophie, LeRei and MikaClip, and chatted for a while about the set, just hanging around the tent.

I never expected Mika to come out to talk to anyone, festivals aren't usually easy to do that at. But he eventually did for 10 mins, took a few pics with people (thank you Steph, looking forward to seeing them). He was really sweet, and chatty, but apologised, that he had to go and do another interview, and went off again. I asked him if it was okay to dress up at Bestival, and he said it was, so the Golden Astronaut is on!

I did try to encourage him to go to Grace Jones, but so many people were talking, I don't think he heard, but I hope he did. I wanted to, but there was an evil looking rain cloud hovering just before she came on, so I legged it back to the van, but all it did was drizzle! I was gutted!

We then just sat in the sun outside the tent, listened to Scott Matthews, Newton Faulkener (both amazing live), drinking and chatting for a while. Mika went off after an hour into the crowd, to see some of the other acts I assume.

So we just chilled, tried to recruit some people to MFC and just had a great time, for the rest of the night.

thank you, Rose! :flowers2: .... you can't imagine how much I envy you! :huglove: .... and I'm eager to see your Golden Astronaut ! :thumb_yello:

Mika singing 'I will survive' with Dan on the piano with a bunch of people in the woods!!! :shocked:

:biggrin2::biggrin2:

the perfect vid to cheer you up:biggrin2:

he doesnt remember most of the words LOL

Of course!

so glad you had such a great time Rose!!

love the golden penguin in your signature:)

hey guys, all the reports are great, nice to hear about others intake of it all

i went too,, it was my first viewing of Mika live, and i must say, it was AMAZING!!!!

it was a shame my camera got broke the week before but the experience was great!

i loved all the songs he played, an sang along i was pleased i knew more words than the others around me, i was about 6 or 7 rows back but still, i am glad i got there early or i prob wouldnt of seen him. glad i got to tho

after the performance, i was goin to leave the arena, but decided to stay an see the next act.. an while musing around the arena, a lady came up to me an asked to take a pic of her an some others ....

i didnt realise untill they got the flag out that they were from here too

im so happy i got to meet them, an honoured to of took the pic for them

im sad to say i had to leave shortly after that,,, i cant believe i missed Mika coming out an talkin... an him in the woods... but happy to of seen him perform

Welcome.... how random was having asked to help take a pic for ppl from here..:teehee:

FILMMAKING! But getting there I have to participate at all sorts of contests for filmmakers to train myslef somehow, and this was the first one so far. :aah:

Wonderful.. I enjoy it too! :wink2:

MIKA IN THE WOODS, THEN!:naughty:

24n38jt.jpg

You know... I'm really impressed with the speed you're coming up with them :boxed: