The Official "The Boy Who Knew Too Much ERA" Charts & Sales around the world Thread

Showtunes17

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't think the album got enough publicity. I was speaking to my friend's brother about mika, and in his words he called him, 'a one hit wonder' and that 'he's not even had any more songs out since 2 years ago'. This conversation went on last week! :shocked:

So clearly some people don't know what's going on with him, my friends probably wouldn't know if it wasn't for me.

Maybe he should have focussed on the UK before going abroad, and the fact that WAG and the album were released to close to each other probably didn't help - it was all a rush. don't some artists wait like 2 months between the first single and album release??

maybe he should re-release it at some point or something?

I personally don't think the album got enough publicity. I was speaking to my friend's brother about mika, and in his words he called him, 'a one hit wonder' and that 'he's not even had any more songs out since 2 years ago'. This conversation went on last week! :shocked:

So clearly some people don't know what's going on with him, my friends probably wouldn't know if it wasn't for me.

Maybe he should have focussed on the UK before going abroad, and the fact that WAG and the album were released to close to each other probably didn't help - it was all a rush. don't some artists wait like 2 months between the first single and album release??

maybe he should re-release it at some point or something?

That's why I said, I think he went off too soon :dunno:

because it's his home? :dunno: Isn't that the way it usually is?

...am I being naive again? :blink:

I would have thought it would have been a commercially based decision.

Having said that, sales of LICM were good in the UK so why not.

On the other hand if Mika broke America he could knock the UK sales into a ****ed hat.

Perhaps that's why he went to North America first.

But I mean really it's not like he went on a 6 month tour abroad is it? He was only gone for a short while and as someone pointed out he can't be everywhere.

I would have thought it would have been a commercially based decision.

Having said that, sales of LICM were good in the UK so why not.

On the other hand if Mika broke America he could knock the UK sales into a ****ed hat.

Perhaps that's why he went to North America first.

But I mean really it's not like he went on a 6 month tour abroad is it? He was only gone for a short while and as someone pointed out he can't be everywhere.

haha I can't even say c o c k ed hat :lmfao:

I wondered what that word was :aah: WTF's a c o c ked hat by the way?

Maybe it's just an experiment Mika's trying or something, and it's um...not going too great. Lol :aah:

though he has been on a few major shows in america...

Let's not get too panic-stricken yet. In days of old, groups used to release records which gradually worked their way up into the Top Ten rather than enter straight in it. It still applies now - for example, Lady Gaga's record has been in the charts for five weeks, steadily climbing.

And a lot of artists recently have come in at at their highest position and then just dropped down the charts. WAG did this.

But Rain needs more airplay, I think. That's more important than any promo work Mika may or may not do.

Let's not get too panic-stricken yet. In days of old, groups used to release records which gradually worked their way up into the Top Ten rather than enter straight in it. It still applies now - for example, Lady Gaga's record has been in the charts for five weeks, steadily climbing.

And a lot of artists recently have come in at at their highest position and then just dropped down the charts. WAG did this.

But Rain needs more airplay, I think. That's more important than any promo work Mika may or may not do.

okay. *calms down and breathes*

So Rain is being played on the radio yet it is nowhere on the charts...:blink:

I don't know what more could have been done in the UK but in France with similar effort sales of TBWKTM are soaring. I think the album did receive enough promotional support but what it did not get was probably the support of some 'opinion leaders'. Back in 2007 Mika topped the BBC's Sound of 2007 list and he was all over the media... Everyone was talking about him. It really looks as if people are not willing to listen and decided Mika was a one-hit wonder even before he released his second album. :emot-sad:

Or they want another Grace Kelly, however absurd it may sound....:cool:

YOU BAD FAN :poke:

Yikes! Sorry!

I will try to better in future. Just stop poking me with that stick...

But this is the thing, you can't rely on others. As Asda say; "every little helps"

(Asda or Tesco's?)

Tesco's!

What's happening in the UK? Is Rain being played on Radio 1 and Capital fm?

It's not on the official playlist for either radio station that they have published on the Web:

I'm not familiar with Capital FM, but I know that Radio 1 DJs get some leeway to play songs outside the playlist, at least some of the time. I have fond memories of John Peel, who always used to play very obscure songs. I wonder what he would have made of Mika...

So Rain is being played on the radio yet it is nowhere on the charts...:blink:

I don't know what more could have been done in the UK but in France with similar effort sales of TBWKTM are soaring. I think the album did receive enough promotional support but what it did not get was probably the support of some 'opinion leaders'. Back in 2007 Mika topped the BBC's Sound of 2007 list and he was all over the media... Everyone was talking about him. It really looks as if people are not willing to listen and decided Mika was a one-hit wonder even before he released his second album. :emot-sad:

Or they want another Grace Kelly, however absurd it may sound....:cool:

Yeah, i also think he's not enough in the media. Even now, months after the release, people are still surprised to hear that mika has a new album. A lot of people i know are like 'really?? i haven't heard anything of it yet'

so that's the main problem, i think. People are not aware enough of TBWKTM.

I have fond memories of John Peel, who always used to play very obscure songs. I wonder what he would have made of Mika...

Much as I adored John Peel (one of my all time heros), I think he would have hated Mika. But then...who knows. He had very eclectic taste.

I'm gutted that Rain isn't doing better :shocked:. But maybe it is just as Silver said and it's a 'slow burner'. However, it would help if it was being played more on the radio because people need to be able to hear it for God's sakes to be able to tell whether they like it and will then buy it.

I've also always thought Mika should do more interviews as well as performing his songs at promo's here in the UK (and elsewhere). In my opinion, he is his own best publicity machine as he comes across as very personable/sweet/funny etc - British people like characters they can warm to and fall in love with, and this in turn would have a positive effect on his record sales as the Brits back people they like as people. If more people got to 'know' him via interviews, he'd be more popular for his music.

That may be shallow, but witness what happens with X Factor people - some can't even bloody sing, but because the public have got to 'journey with them' thru their highs and lows etc they get backed by the public and get taken to their hearts. In Mika's case, not only has he got a lovely personality but he has genuine talent, so people who may never have given him a chance before and initially (thru interviews he gave) come to like him just for his personality could very easily come to think 'Actually, this guy CAN sing and he IS talented', too so this might have a knock-on effect to his record sales. Just a thought.

Edited by SunshineGirl
Correction

I'm gutted that Rain isn't doing better :shocked:. But maybe it is just as Silver said and it's a 'slow burner'. However, it would help if it was being played more on the radio because people need to be able to hear it for God's sakes to be able to tell whether they like it and will then buy it.

I've also always thought Mika should do more interviews as well as performing his songs at promo's here in the UK (and elsewhere). In my opinion, he is his own best publicity machine as he comes across as very personable/sweet/funny etc - British people like characters they can warm to and fall in love with, and this in turn would have a positive effect on his record sales as the Brits back people they like as people. If more people got to 'know' him via interviews, he'd be more popular for his music.

That may be shallow, but witness what happens with X Factor people - some can't even bloody sing, but because the public have got to 'journey with them' thru their highs and lows etc they get backed by the public and get taken to their hearts. In Mika's case, not only has he got a lovely personality but he has genuine talent, so people who may never have given him a chance before and initially (thru interviews he gave) come to like him just for his personality could very easily come to think 'Actually, this guy CAN sing and he IS talented', too so this might have a knock-on effect to his record sales. Just a thought.

i've thought the same thing about interviews. but like, tv interviews too, not just magazines. i often wonder what it would be like for mika to go on that piers morgan show, but i think he would be too prying.

i've thought the same thing about interviews. but like, tv interviews too, not just magazines. i often wonder what it would be like for mika to go on that piers morgan show, but i think he would be too prying.

Sorry, yes, I meant TV interviews - the very few TV interviews I've seen Mika do, he was adorable :wub2: - he should so do more of that kind of thing!! Piers Morgan would be interesting :wink2:!!!

Please enlighten me. I am rather out of touch with these things. What are the three versions of "Rain"?

the CD, the iTunes download and the regular download

They have (slightly) different remixes, the CD has Poker Face, the downloads have an accoustic version (which is beautiful)