4MUSIC: MIKA - THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS Friday 28 August 2009

tigerclaws95

I'm obviously not in Mika's head, so I have no idea of what he thinks, but personally I put it down to disorganisation rather than him really liking Sunshine. At least this way I can still preserve my admiration for Mika, rather than thinking that he's ok with a substandard musician...

You do surprise me about Dan though- Why don't you like him? I find him excellent in every way :thumb_yello:.

And I rather fancy Dan finds himself excellent in every way- he seems to intrude himself on my notice when I'd rather be noticing Mika, and really irritates me, especially on the Songs of Sorrow tour- he was more subdued at iTunes.

I'm not in Mika's head either, but if he didn't prefer David's new way of playing Relax etc I think he'd have been told to change it pronto- I doubt if someone who couldn't would even have reached the audition stage

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I rather fancy Dan finds himself excellent in every way- he seems to intrude himself on my notice when I'd rather be noticing Mika, and really irritates me, especially on the Songs of Sorrow tour- he was more subdued at iTunes.

I'm not in Mika's head either, but if he didn't prefer David's new way of playing Relax etc I think he'd have been told to change it pronto- I doubt if someone who couldn't would even have reached the audition stage

Could I ask you, if you know, what happened to Mikey Choi? Have I missed something?

I personally think that Dan seems very down to earth and non-assuming, and that he doesn't take himself very seriously....

And going back to David, come on, we all know how disorganised TM are. Nothing ever gets done in time. I'm sure that even if someone wasn't super happy with him, it would take a lot of time to finally get things moving anyway :naughty:.

Re the audition comments; It's a matter of supply. If everyone that applies is crap, then the less crappy one of those will succeed, simple as. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King :thumb_yello:.

Again, I'm not putting myself in Mika's head, I don't know what he thinks of D, but seeing that so many of us have noticed that he's destroyed some of the songs when playing live, I tend to think that he's less than ideal for the job :biggrin2:.

Guess Mika doesn't feel the same- same as he obviously likes Dan more than I do

:shocked:

:blink:

You do surprise me about Dan though- Why don't you like him? I find him excellent in every way :thumb_yello:.

So do I :mf_lustslow:

:thumb_yello:

... Final proof for me was when they performed Toy Boy together at a BBC2 radio performance (before the Latitude gig)..:wub2:

Their voices match perfectly :blush-anim-cl:

Could I ask you, if you know, what happened to Mikey Choi? Have I missed something?

...guess he lacks the voice Dan has....:dunno: and maybe other things, too :naughty:

Edited by suzie

I personally think that Dan seems very down to earth and non-assuming, and that he doesn't take himself very seriously....

And going back to David, come on, we all know how disorganised TM are. Nothing ever gets done in time. I'm sure that even if someone wasn't super happy with him, it would take a lot of time to finally get things moving anyway :naughty:.

Re the audition comments; It's a matter of supply. If everyone that applies is crap, then the less crappy one of those will succeed, simple as. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King :thumb_yello:.

Again, I'm not putting myself in Mika's head, I don't know what he thinks of D, but seeing that so many of us have noticed that he's destroyed some of the songs when playing live, I tend to think that he's less than ideal for the job :biggrin2:.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe for a minute that no good keyboard players auditioned for the PDP tour last year, or that none were available for iTunes and C4

:shocked:

:blink:

So do I :mf_lustslow:

:thumb_yello:

... Final proof for me was when they performed Toy Boy together at a BBC2 radio performance (before the Latitude gig)..:wub2:

Their voices match perfectly :blush-anim-cl:

Prefer it as a solo- found the shadow voice meant you couldn't hear either properly- and that was when I thought it was Martin singing, so it's not bias

We don't really know the detail, just that he's gone, and Mika has a new bass player now, who "coincidentally" was the one who played in LICM.

Dan is also the new Musical Director.

...guess he lacks the voice Dan has....:dunno: and maybe other things, too :naughty:

Yeah, he more or less lacks EVERYTHING that Dan has :naughty:. Good riddance, I say. Shame he didn't take his matey with him :naughty:. Oops, was that bitchy? :blush-anim-cl:

I'm sorry, but I don't believe for a minute that no good keyboard players auditioned for the PDP tour last year, or that none were available for iTunes and C4

But you don't actually know that :wink2:. We have no idea who the auditions were targetted at, and who organised them and how. Bearing in mind that at that time it was still Mikey who was the MD, and that David is his good friend...you do the maths :thumb_yello:.

Also, I don't think that there was a specific audition for iTunes and C4; Most probably he did the auditions last year in a rush after booting Luke, and David was all they could find.

Now that he's there, he's just using him as it's less hassle than starting the process again to find another guy...that's how I envisage it. This is why I am expecting that we'll be seeing Sunshine again for the October tour, and we'll see what happens for the next full tour in 2010.

Maybe for then Mika will have decided to look into it and do something about him...Or maybe not. But I am not expecting that they will lose David until then.

Guess Mika doesn't feel the same- same as he obviously likes Dan more than I do

Dan is AWESOME. Love him. :mf_lustslow:

Even if I didn't, I think he's the best backup singer Mika's ever had. Their voices work together.

Exactly why I never see him allowing it. :teehee:

Mika ain't never gonna answer my questions. :teehee:

What's with the :teehee: I was thinking questions about his music and his career, and I truly believe you or Mana could be the right person for the job!:thumb_yello:

Dan is AWESOME. Love him. :mf_lustslow:

Even if I didn't, I think he's the best backup singer Mika's ever had. Their voices work together.

Shouldn't that be 'ain't ever' or 'is never' ? :biggrin2: Mind you, not that ain't is technically correct, but if you know what I mean.... :bleh:

But you don't actually know that :wink2:. We have no idea who the auditions were targetted at, and who organised them and how. Bearing in mind that at that time it was still Mikey who was the MD, and that David is his good friend...you do the maths :thumb_yello:.

[/color]

I'm doing the math- I'm not claiming to know what Mika thinks- but I know he repeatedly said PDP was a big deal, I know he talked about the endless meetings, the fittings- all the tbings he did himself. Why wouldn't that apply to the band and the way the songs were played? I also know that London has a large pool of skilled session musicians, including keyboard players.

TM might not be organised about websites and competitions and things, but I've heard nothing to suggest Mika doesn't bother about what his live shows sound like. And that C4 special was presumably a big deal for him

I'm doing the math- I'm not claiming to know what Mika thinks- but I know he repeatedly said PDP was a big deal, I know he talked about the endless meetings, the fittings- all the tbings he did himself. Why wouldn't that apply to the band and the way the songs were played? I also know that London has a large pool of skilled session musicians, including keyboard players.

TM might not be organised about websites and competitions and things, but I've heard nothing to suggest Mika doesn't bother about what his live shows sound like. And that C4 special was presumably a big deal for him

What I understand, is that he leaves the band and MD to sort out a lot of the details, and that applied to PDP as well, while he was busy with other aspects of the show. Why have a MD if he's not trusting them with the decisions and running of day to day things? This is what I think.

What I understand, is that he leaves the band and MD to sort out a lot of the details, and that applied to PDP as well, while he was busy with other aspects of the show. Why have a MD if he's not trusting them with the decisions and running of day to day things? This is what I think.

I'm sure we've already had this discussion over costumes- but the other way round.

I thinik that if the MD/band changed something and Mika didn't like it, he'd reject it- tell them to try again or change back it.

For anyone interested, it's on again tonight, on 4Music channel, at 11.45pm.

I'll resist the temptation to tape it again- I've already got it 3 times- once in HD- in case I accidentally erase it, which is a bit embarassing. One day, I'll figure out how to transfer from V+ to disc (note- it's the way I've got them wired up, I think, the actual transfer is simple enough)

Exactly why I never see him allowing it. :teehee:

I could see Mika do this...if the interviewer is friendly and serious.:blush-anim-cl:

What's with the :teehee: I was thinking questions about his music and his career, and I truly believe you or Mana could be the right person for the job!:thumb_yello:

Yeah I think that's part of the problem... Mika knows MFC is "fierce" enough to know that an interview with MFC would be something of a challenge; we're the girls (yes, and some guys) who know too much. :teehee:

It wouldn't be the standard blah blah questions - we've heard all his standard answers before, and we've paid enough attention that if he launched into a contradiction, we'd be able to call him on it. I think he'd be quite on edge in that situation. The person interviewing him would have her work cut out for her in helping him to feel comfortable, especially if it was being recorded (rather than just for a print article). If she could, though, and brought out relaxed, playful Mika, it would be one of the best interviews ever.

And also from a PR perspective, what's a better use of Mika's time? An hour with some music magazine or radio station, or an hour being interviewed by someone who represents a fanbase who would buy Mika's CD if he was just rapping the ABCs? I mean, I think enjoyment-wise MFC would get more out of it, but I don't think it would help him sell more CDs. :roftl:

That said, I think an MFC Q&A would be among the best ever. And I'm totally willing, Mika; if you're interested, you know how to get in touch with me. :wink2:

That's because he is excellent in every way. Don't mind me, I'm just enamoured with the man. :mf_lustslow:

He's sickeningly talented musically, he's got boat loads of experience, and his backing vocals complement Mika's vocals like no one else's. There's just something in the tone there that works so freakin' well.

Further, he is rather theatrical on stage; and I think that'll be more important on this North American tour and other future tours when Mika's playing bigger stages than on the Songs for Sorrow tour. He's got the perfect personality to help engage the audience; when Mika's doing something on one side of the stage, in some ways Dan can be engaging people on the other side. Same with Saranayde, 'cause that's what she did on the Dodgy Holiday tour.

And then off stage, he seems to be a really cool guy, sweet, playful, and fun-loving. Admittedly my interactions with him total maybe 10 minutes, but he really came across as fun during those 10 minutes. The kind of guy you call up on a Saturday night when you want to go out and have fun, and you know he'll be able to help with that.

Lastly - I think he's freakin' gorgeous. But that's just icing on the cake. :blush-anim-cl:

Shouldn't that be 'ain't ever' or 'is never' ? Mind you, not that ain't is technically correct, but if you know what I mean....

LMAO. Yes, "ain't never" is a double negative. I think the double negative was intentional to emphasize the slangy nature of the whole sentence.

That said, people do say "ain't never." Especially in the Southern states, and especially in country songs. :roftl:

Yeah I think that's part of the problem... Mika knows MFC is "fierce" enough to know that an interview with MFC would be something of a challenge; we're the girls (yes, and some guys) who know too much. :teehee:

It wouldn't be the standard blah blah questions - we've heard all his standard answers before, and we've paid enough attention that if he launched into a contradiction, we'd be able to call him on it. I think he'd be quite on edge in that situation. The person interviewing him would have her work cut out for her in helping him to feel comfortable, especially if it was being recorded (rather than just for a print article). If she could, though, and brought out relaxed, playful Mika, it would be one of the best interviews ever.

And also from a PR perspective, what's a better use of Mika's time? An hour with some music magazine or radio station, or an hour being interviewed by someone who represents a fanbase who would buy Mika's CD if he was just rapping the ABCs? I mean, I think enjoyment-wise MFC would get more out of it, but I don't think it would help him sell more CDs. :roftl:

That said, I think an MFC Q&A would be among the best ever. And I'm totally willing, Mika; if you're interested, you know how to get in touch with me. :wink2:

Well I don't know much about how things like this usually works, obviously, and that’s the reason I’m stupid enough to even raise the question!:naughty:

But I think it would be fair if he could look at the questions before handed and someone has to tell him how much this would be appreciated by his fan club, the man has a good heart and if the right person approaches him I think he might do it!:wub2:

Go for it Mana!:thumb_yello:

The worst you could get is a no!

LMAO. Yes, "ain't never" is a double negative. I think the double negative was intentional to emphasize the slangy nature of the whole sentence.

That said, people do say "ain't never." Especially in the Southern states, and especially in country songs. :roftl:

I've been watching True Blood so much that I didn't even react to this!:biggrin2:

Well I'm not giving up on the MFC interview yet.

His contradictions do annoy me

I don't think he'd ever clear up those contradictions to anyone...for they are quite personal.:naughty:

Realistically speaking, I'd actually prefer him interviewed by someone who has a deep understanding of popular music and its history and is not prejudiced against acts branded 'uncool'... I don't know if such person exists in today's media as at the moment I can't think of anyone who could do such in depth interviews. :cool: (I mean someone like Paul King was in the 80s - hope that name rings a bell to some. )

I don't think he'd ever clear up those contradictions to anyone...for they are quite personal.:naughty:

Realistically speaking, I'd actually prefer him interviewed by someone who has a deep understanding of popular music and its history and is not prejudiced against acts branded 'uncool'... I don't know if such person exists in today's media as at the moment I can't think of anyone who could do such in depth interviews. :cool: (I mean someone like Paul King was in the 80s - hope that name rings a bell to some. )

Paul King :wink2:

Oh yes ... I remember him .... :biggrin2: