I love this song the most too. I don't understand it at all and once it starts I don't really care about the fact that I don't get it. I just don't think it's meant to be coherent. After all the whole chorus is a declaration of insanity. So I think we're trying to analyse the un-analyzable ( I know that's not the right word but it's all I can think of right now).

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this song the most too. I don't understand it at all and once it starts I don't really care about the fact that I don't get it. I just don't think it's meant to be coherent. After all the whole chorus is a declaration of insanity. So I think we're trying to analyse the un-analyzable ( I know that's not the right word but it's all I can think of right now).

Hmm....that's one way to look at it, and I have looked at it that way.

But my general mind set is that art is to be interperated any way that makes you happy and satisfys the feelings and meanings you need from that piece of art.

What the artist intended is important to an extent but your own interpretation is important too.

Though I do really respect allowing odd things to wash over you. I often do that at first. I did it at first with this before I delved a little deeper.

So the last 2 nights (Toronto, then Montreal) gave me 2 amazing opportunities to see his mouth form the words to the lyrics that I've been trying to figure out for sooooo long!

Now I know what he sings in that falsetto part after "Don't stay ....." from being front row the last 2 nights I can confidentally tell you that he sings:

"You're lost to me"

:kachinga:

So the last 2 nights (Toronto, then Montreal) gave me 2 amazing opportunities to see his mouth form the words to the lyrics that I've been trying to figure out for sooooo long!

Now I know what he sings in that falsetto part after "Don't stay ....." from being front row the last 2 nights I can confidentally tell you that he sings:

"You're lost to me"

Really?

Fantastic, I love you! :wub2:

"You're lost to me"

Thank you! :bow:

After hearing this song live, I can confidently say that...

I AM GOING TO MARRY THIS SONG AND HAVE ITS BABIES AND LIVE FOREVER IN MUSICAL UTOPIA.

That is all. :mf_rosetinted:

Was it good live? (silly question, your post says it all).

How did they render the layered vocals??

I think he still needs to work on it a bit ....:teehee:

Definitely :teehee:

He needs (IMHO) to just focus on singing ONE of the vocal parts and let Martin and Erika do the others, instead of trying to do them all in bits.

Much room for improvement, shall we say. But it was always going to be a challenge to do this song live :biggrin2:.

He needs (IMHO) to just focus on singing ONE of the vocal parts and let Martin and Erika do the others, instead of trying to do them all in bits.

He is singing like I am singing different vocal parts at home and at gigs - changing octaves and singing different parts, lead and backing vocals. :naughty:

However, HE SHOULD BE REMINDED HE IS THE LEAD SINGER AND CANNOT SING 2 PARTS AT THE SAME TIME :teehee:

I miss Dan's vocals.... :emot-sad:... especially in Toy Boy..

Much room for improvement, shall we say. But it was always going to be a challenge to do this song live :biggrin2:.

That's probably one of the reasons this was never to be a single - at least not a song he goes out and promotes on tv shows..etc.

Edited by suzie

He is singing like I am singing different vocal parts at home and at gigs (e.g Happy Ending). :naughty:

However, HE SHOULD BE REMINDED HE IS THE LEAD SINGER AND CANNOT SING 2 PARTS AT THE SAME TIME :teehee:

I miss Dan's vocals.... :emot-sad:... especially in Toy Boy..

That's probably one of the reasons this was never to be a single - at least not a song he goes out and promotes on tv shows..etc.

Precisely.

I want to grab him and shake him and hope he sees sense on this because otherwise I'd rather see OFB dropped from the set, I like the album version too much for it to be done so poorly live. I admit I have only seen it on a video of course; the people who were there (like Mana for example) might have a completely different view of how effective it was.

I agree lol :naughty: Although when I sing it I do the verses, then do the extra bits in the bridge...

"I'll say nothing on your microphone, till you swear to take me home, there's a one foot boy, eleven stone, sitting on my shoulder. I'm too scared to look away, comes here almost everyday, and everyday I push him off and tell him "boy, we're over" / MY OH MY

Then I do the higher bit in "I think my mind is gone..." and then when "ONE FOOT BOY!" comes on I sing the high harmony, because I feel silly singing "one foot boy!" over and over again in my room when the fam can hear me lol :naughty: But I'll do it for Mika at a gig haha

I agree lol :naughty: Although when I sing it I do the verses, then do the extra bits in the bridge...

"I'll say nothing on your microphone, till you swear to take me home, there's a one foot boy, eleven stone, sitting on my shoulder. I'm too scared to look away, comes here almost everyday, and everyday I push him off and tell him "boy, we're over" / MY OH MY

Then I do the higher bit in "I think my mind is gone..." and then when "ONE FOOT BOY!" comes on I sing the high harmony, because I feel silly singing "one foot boy!" over and over again in my room when the fam can hear me lol :naughty: But I'll do it for Mika at a gig haha

Same here, word for word :aah::aah::aah:

The biggest problem is that after the line that goes "help me drive this craziness away" he started singing the "One Foot Boy, One Foot Bo-o-y" bit, almost as though he'd forgotten that the band would do that bit, and he'd do the high "don't staaaaay!" bit.

He needs to leave the "One Foot Boy, One Foot Bo-o-y" bit entirely to the band, and focus solely on the "don't staaaaaay!" bit. Of course my brain is pickled because the "don't staaaaay!" that he does right at the end here was almost directly in front of me. Hearing that part when he was so freakin close to me... :swoon:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5OqfyWTIVc

The biggest problem is that after the line that goes "help me drive this craziness away" he started singing the "One Foot Boy, One Foot Bo-o-y" bit, almost as though he'd forgotten that the band would do that bit, and he'd do the high "don't staaaaay!" bit.

He needs to leave the "One Foot Boy, One Foot Bo-o-y" bit entirely to the band, and focus solely on the "don't staaaaaay!" bit. Of course my brain is pickled because the "don't staaaaay!" that he does right at the end here was almost directly in front of me. Hearing that part when he was so freakin close to me... :swoon:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5OqfyWTIVc

:wub2:

maybe he didn't hear the back-up singers......Dan was missing perhaps.. :teehee:

Do we know if he will return for the European tour? (:blush-anim-cl:)

maybe he didn't hear the back-up singers......Dan was missing perhaps.. :teehee:

Do we know if he will return for the European tour? (:blush-anim-cl:)

I don't think he will. :tears:

What I heard is that Saranayde had another commitment, but Dan is more of a studio musician than a touring musician, and the fact that he came along on the acoustic tour was more of an exception rather than the rule with him.

I miss his backing vocals. :tears:

I don't think he will. :tears:

What I heard is that Saranayde had another commitment, but Dan is more of a studio musician than a touring musician, and the fact that he came along on the acoustic tour was more of an exception rather than the rule with him.

I miss his backing vocals. :tears:

That's sad about Dan, if it's the case. :blink: I thought he was a great addition to the band.

Does this Jimmy one not sing well then???:teehee:

That's sad about Dan, if it's the case. :blink: I thought he was a great addition to the band.

Does this Jimmy one not sing well then???:teehee:

Actually I quite like Jimmy. I think he's quite talented, and he seems like he has fantastic chemistry with the rest of the band. :punk:

I don't know about his vocals because these bigger venues make it harder to make out individual voices. Dan's vocals were very clear at some of the acoustic dates. I could hear him especially on Lollipop and and Toy Boy. :wub2: