Mika's teen years dominate new album

dcdeb

(Mika's LIBYAN now? :naughty:)

ALeqM5jKY53AcSrZdcDP8EaGoS4IeB31iw?size=l

By Benedicte Rey (AFP) – 29 minutes ago

PARIS — After the success of "Life in Cartoon Motion," which sold five million copies worldwide, Mika releases a second album Friday inspired by his adolescence and 1980s pop -- "The Boy Who Knew Too Much."

The young English-Libyan singer, just turned 26, scored one of the surprise hits of 2007 with his debut album, thanks to uncomplicated and colourful pop smashes, "Relax, Take It Easy" and "Grace Kelly."

"'Life In Cartoon Motion' contained a lot of childhood references," he said.

"The new album is, I think, more adolescent. It has joy, it has fragility, it's got a little hint of bitterness -- all these things that I felt when I was a teenager," the singer recently told The Observer magazine.

"Teenage dreams in a teenage circus/Running around like a clown on purpose/Who gives a damn about the family you come from?/No giving up when you?re young and you want some," says "We Are Golden," the first single which combines a show-like choir with the guitar riffs of Queen.

Musically, "The Boy Who Knew Too Much" also leaps forward in time, leaving the 1970s for the 80s.

Throughout the album, the artist brings to mind Freddie Mercury, George Michael and Jimmy Sommerville, but it is the British production trio Stock, Aitken and Waterman who are most strongly evoked.

In the 80s, their songs, interpreted by Kylie Minogue, Bananarama and Jason Donovan, dominated the charts thanks to their unstoppable, but very formatted, saccharine-pop sound.

"We Are Golden" and "Blame It On The Girls", the next single, are both power-pop songs, designed for heavy radio play and stadium tours.

The record is crammed with piano ballads, such as "I See You" and "By The Time," which will be sure to have lighters waving in the air when they are played live.

It also features Mika's trademark falsetto vocal acrobatics, which characterised "Life In Cartoon Motion" in moments of colourful flamboyancy, occasionally bordering on pomposity.

The bravest moment of the record is "Pick Up The Floor." Creating a mood between cabaret and a jazz club hosting Julie Andrews, the singer's androgynous voice delivers an unsettling number recalling the film "Victor, Victoria."

In the main, the new album may lack the freshness that catapulted "Life In Cartoon Motion" to success. In harking back to the superstars of the 80s, Mika is like the character in his video "We Are Golden" -- a teenager imitating pop stars in front of the mirror as he struggles to find his identity.

Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hGS544Jl_vodJBEOwxDEm8oX8umA

Edited by dcdeb

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The young English-Libyan singer? :roftl:

had a quick read... hmmm...

I must admit- I like this part: "The record is crammed with piano ballads, such as "I See You" and "By The Time," which will be sure to have lighters waving in the air when they are played live." and must add- lots of tears... especially MFCrs'

there are so many interviews- its hard keeping up! :aah:

and not just interviews... there is such a rush in Mikaworld...

Edited by inbar_assaf

there are so many interviews- its hard keeping up! :aah:

and not just interviews... there is such a rush in Mikaworld...

I KNOW! It's amazing, isn't it? :wub2:

I think it is an offense to compare Mika's songs to those of the SAW trio in the 80s. Those had no depths at all.. :sneaky2:

I never heard of them, so I didn't know whether that was a good comparison.

:blink: I mean, I've heard of Kylie, of course, just not the composers.

Anyhow, it's mostly a good review, not stellar, but generally positive. :wink2:

I KNOW! It's amazing, isn't it? :wub2:

It is!

hard to belive that about, I dunno... 3-5 months ago, isnt it (+\- Im not good with kind of remembering... :naughty:)? there was such silence... nothing happened really... and now- wow! its the most incredible feeling! :wub2:

Edited by inbar_assaf

I'm not particularly impressed with that article at all. And I don't think they know what they're talking about tbh. Stock, Aitken & Waterman??? I mean, come on. Get real here. Apart from the fact that the songs have a good beat and an infectious singability, they're as different as chalk and cheese.

I'm not sure that they actually listened to the words at all.:sneaky2:

I'm not particularly impressed with that article at all. And I don't think they know what they're talking about tbh. Stock, Aitken & Waterman??? I mean, come on. Get real here. Apart from the fact that the songs have a good beat and an infectious singability, they're as different as chalk and cheese.

I'm not sure that they actually listened to the words at all.:sneaky2:

Your so right :thumb_yello: , they made mid 80s cathcy pop tunes , Mika does too but they are on a higher plane

Pfttttttt dont agree ski

I think it is an offense to compare Mika's songs to those of the SAW trio in the 80s. Those had no depths at all.. :sneaky2:

I couldn't agree more, and to say he's imitating other stars as he struggles to find his identity! that is insulting and so untrue!

And I didn't know that Libya was in Lebanon!

Someone give that idiot a map, for heavens sake, and a geography lesson!

I haven't read the article yet, I just wanted to comment on the picture. WHYYY choose that one? He looks like he's in pain!

:roftl:

I am always amazed at the photos they choose to accompany these

articles! :shocked:

If they're not ancient, they're like this -- unflattering. There

are so many gorgeous ones to choose from! :wub2:

I never heard of them, so I didn't know whether that was a good comparison.

:blink: I mean, I've heard of Kylie, of course, just not the composers.

Well, those who have not heard yet of the Stock Aitken Waterman songwriting trio, let me explain that they wrote and produces a string of similar sounding hits from the mid to the end of the 80s.

Typically they wrote and produced full albums for 'artists' (some of them soap stars or playmates) and managed every aspect of their career I guess.

Some of their most popular acts and songs were:

Rick Astley Together Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLsJryWc5XE

Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky (the previous one re-written in another key :naughty:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mg8m49vSM8

Sinitta Toy Boy

Great article, thanks Deb! Although I must say that I agree with what most have said re Stock, Aitken and Waterman....the songs that those people made were catchy, but hardly the quality of Mika's work, and I think that comparing him to those is offensive :boxed:.

I am always amazed at the photos they choose to accompany these

articles! :shocked:

If they're not ancient, they're like this -- unflattering. There

are so many gorgeous ones to choose from! :wub2:

I do wonder if it is done to support their point of view. For instance, if they love the album, they'll make sure it has a flattering photo. If they are indifferent or dislike it, they won't bother to be that picky.

:dunno: Just a thought.