MTV Europe Music Awards '09

Cibele

I read last night, that Viacom, who I think own MTV, said that the viewers picked the nominations. Which I think is a load of rubbish, because I don't think I've ever seen MTV ask before the awards for viewers to do this, only to vote when the nominations are announced!

I think maybe last year for the all time artist, did this actually happen, when Rick Astley won it, but not for the other catergorys.

Because I'm pretty sure a lot more European acts would have been nominated if this was the case.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen the show but I saw that Eminem won best male. I was like WHAAAATTT? And my mother asked me what was up, and I said that Eminem won best male while we've been voting or *sses of for Mika. I didn't even know Eminem had any fans left:mf_rosetinted:

I haven't seen the show but I saw that Eminem won best male. I was like WHAAAATTT? And my mother asked me what was up, and I said that Eminem won best male while we've been voting or *sses of for Mika. I didn't even know Eminem had any fans left:mf_rosetinted:

Yeah, he has loads. Unfortunately, sales of 80 million+ justify that... :no:

I didn't really see Eminem as a serious contender for Best Male. However, I did suspect that most of the winners would be American. To be honest, I believe that people outside Europe should not be allowed to vote. I know that would mean that American Mika fans would miss out, but really, the American non Mika fans voting would not have done Mika any favours in the long run.

Mika probably got a huge vote from Europe. They love him and God knows he even speaks most of the languages some fluent, and some, enough to make them understand him which will make him even more endearing. But the American vote would have been MASSIVE and that's why they seem to always dictate who wins the EMAs.

So, if it's a European competition, only Europeans should be allowed to vote. Then it will be much more fair.

I didn't really see Eminem as a serious contender for Best Male. However, I did suspect that most of the winners would be American. To be honest, I believe that people outside Europe should not be allowed to vote. I know that would mean that American Mika fans would miss out, but really, the American non Mika fans voting would not have done Mika any favours in the long run.

Mika probably got a huge vote from Europe. They love him and God knows he even speaks most of the languages some fluent, and some, enough to make them understand him which will make him even more endearing. But the American vote would have been MASSIVE and that's why they seem to always dictate who wins the EMAs.

So, if it's a European competition, only Europeans should be allowed to vote. Then it will be much more fair.

And only European artists, too.

It's not like the Americans don't have their own version of this, why do they need entrants in any of the others?

It's not really encouraging to any up and coming Euro artists. I know it's not about winning awards, why they do it, but to know they'll get some sort of recognition, helps.

This EMA show was more than boring if you ask me. I've nearly died last year while watching it,but now it was even worse!

First of all,they should change the name to American Music Awards, since most of the winners were American, exept U2,Placebo and Tokio Hotel. Jay-Z,Beyonce,Lady GaGa, Green Day, Linkin Park, ... I was shocked to have seen that Beyonce won 3 awards :shocked: Excuse me to those who love her,but I really think she doesn't deserve all of those.

I'm surprised and sad that Gaga won only one award out of 5 nominations, and I'm also surprised that Kings Of Leon didn't win anything, even though they also had 5 nominations!

I think it's okay that TH won the Best Group Award - I don't like them but it would've been a little bit too strange if they hadn't won in their own country :naughty:. Plus they're fairly good musicians.

Katy Perry - I better not start on her... She was very vulgar and very odious.:puke: If she really wanted to be provokative then she at least could've done it with style IMO. Thank GOD she didn't dare to sing "Mein Herr" at the start of the show; I got rather worried :shocked:

And what was with that poor Pete Wentz fellow? I've hardly seen him during the show LOL!

Frankly,I didn't expect Mika to win Best Male :sad: mostly because there were Jay-Z,Kanye and Eminem as the nominees,and their music is being played whole lot more often than Mika's, which is really unfair,especially because their songs are kinda all the same. I knew Robbie couldn't have won; I knew that some American will win. I must say though that I didn't expect Eminem to win,more like Jay-Z or Kanye for instance.

I was wathcing EMAs with my friend and we both cheered for Mika, but he didn't win.. :sad:

It's not like the Americans don't have their own version of this, why do they need entrants in any of the others?

It's not really encouraging to any up and coming Euro artists. I know it's not about winning awards, why they do it, but to know they'll get some sort of recognition, helps.

Yes I agree. You can tell that the Americans dictate the winners, because Beyonce won 3 awards. She wouldn't have won 3 if it had been a European vote imo. I admit to liking Lady Gaga, but I think she's a performer who is international, much like Mika is. But certainly, to make the awards truly European, only European acts should be nominated.

Yes I agree. You can tell that the Americans dictate the winners, because Beyonce won 3 awards. She wouldn't have won 3 if it had been a European vote imo. I admit to liking Lady Gaga, but I think she's a performer who is international, much like Mika is. But certainly, to make the awards truly European, only European acts should be nominated.

Total agreement. I mean if what part of the awards is meant to be exculsively European? Coz all I can see is the city in which it takes place :sneaky2:

Total agreement. I mean if what part of the awards is meant to be exculsively European? Coz all I can see is the city in which it takes place :sneaky2:

There is an award, where each country gets to vote for a nominated person from their country, and then they go into a draw to be voted for on the night. Then whoever gets the most votes is the European act of the year, which considering the whole awards show is SUPPOSED to be for Europe, I find highly insulting, and it's time everyone one in Europe started to kick back, and tell MTV, that it's not on any more!

AND, from what I saw, they didn't even do THAT last night, it was probably tagged on at the end as an afterthought.

I agree! :wink2:

What's the point in ME voting... I have absolutely nothing to do with europe, and if my vote is the one that made Mika win, that wouldn't be truthful in saying he's worthy of the title...:boxed:

Well, the American one isn't a "version"

The European one is a version seeing as MTV is american..

so maybe MTV just has to drag that up everywhere? :bleh:

If there was a Canadian Music Awards, if people from Europe were voting...

Yeah its just weird IMO.

REALLY?

Mika among stars treated to £250k MTV EMA Awards gifts

By 3am's Clemmie Moodie and Danielle Lawler 6/11/2009

Celebs were treated to a £250k gifting suite.

"Stars including Mika took their pick from cashmere scarves, D&G sunglasses, an electric guitar, LA spa gift vouchers, suitcases, fine wines, chocolates, a Formula 1 racing day, trainers, make-up and, er, membership to Chinawhite. Bling it on!"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/11/06/mika-among-stars-treated-to-250k-mtv-ema-awards-gifts-115875-21801210/

Edited by A. Clay

Well, the American one isn't a "version"

The European one is a version seeing as MTV is american..

so maybe MTV just has to drag that up everywhere? :bleh:

If there was a Canadian Music Awards, if people from Europe were voting...

Yeah its just weird IMO.

Ah, so because it's an American based company, you are saying that they can just trounce all over the artists in each continent, just so the American artists can win everywhere?

NOT acceptable!

If they do the awards in every continent, THAT continents artists, should be the ones that get nominated and voted for, otherwise what's the point?

They might as well just do the one, from the US, with catergories for each continent, like they did for the very first MTV awards.

The whole point of them giving each continent their own awards show, was to recognise their own artists.

In the last few years, it's become more prevailent, that they want American artists more recognised in all the awards shows, which defeats the object of the original concept. So it feels like they are going backwards instead of progressing.

There are 4 major award shows in the US, The Grammys (which to be fair artists all over the world, do get a fair shake of the tree at), MTV Awards, the American Music Awards(strictly American artists only, from what I've seen) and the BET Awards.

Here we have the Brits, and the MOBOs, and even then we have International catergories, which get as much recognition as the others, not a throwaway mention during the proceedings.

Sorry for ranting on about this, but I feel that every countries awards ceremonies feel beholden to having US stars winning, and the US ones, don't feel they need to recognise any other country at all. It's unfair and I think a turnaround is long overdue.

Ah, so because it's an American based company, you are saying that they can just trounce all over the artists in each continent, just so the American artists can win everywhere?

NOT acceptable!

If they do the awards in every continent, THAT continents artists, should be the ones that get nominated and voted for, otherwise what's the point?

They might as well just do the one, from the US, with catergories for each continent, like they did for the very first MTV awards.

The whole point of them giving each continent their own awards show, was to recognise their own artists.

In the last few years, it's become more prevailent, that they want American artists more recognised in all the awards shows, which defeats the object of the original concept. So it feels like they are going backwards instead of progressing.

There are 4 major award shows in the US, The Grammys (which to be fair artists all over the world, do get a fair shake of the tree at), MTV Awards, the American Music Awards(strictly American artists only, from what I've seen) and the BET Awards.

Here we have the Brits, and the MOBOs, and even then we have International catergories, which get as much recognition as the others, not a throwaway mention during the proceedings.

Sorry for ranting on about this, but I feel that every countries awards ceremonies feel beholden to having US stars winning, and the US ones, don't feel they need to recognise any other country at all. It's unfair and I think a turnaround is long overdue.

Sorry but since when are people's opinions being categorized into acceptible and un-acceptible?

And, you've obviously misinterpretated my posts wrong, I never said it should be only American stars winning... I merely stated I think it's weird citizens of other countries get to vote for an artist to win in a completely different country than the person lives in. :thumb_yello:

Sorry but since when are people's opinions being categorized into acceptible and un-acceptible?

And, you've obviously misinterpretated my posts wrong, I never said it should be only American stars winning... I merely stated I think it's weird citizens of other countries get to vote for an artist to win in a completely different country than the person lives in. :thumb_yello:

I'm saying that MTVs way of doing the EMAs and other intercontinental awards shows under their banner, is unacceptable, and wholly unfair to artist in those places. That was my point.

And I agree, that only people in the continent the awards are being held, should vote in that continent. It makes it fairer, just like only artists from that continent should be nominated.

It's MTV I have the gripe with, not you:wink2:

I'm saying that MTVs way of doing the EMAs and other intercontinental awards shows under their banner, is unacceptable, and wholly unfair to artist in those places. That was my point.

And I agree, that only people in the continent the awards are being held, should vote in that continent. It makes it fairer, just like only artists from that continent should be nominated.

It's MTV I have the gripe with, not you:wink2:

Yeah what's the point of having area specified awards anyways? :huh:

If it's to show popularity in that area, it's not being shown if I vote for people in ... Belgium! :shun:

Yeah what's the point of having area specified awards anyways? :huh:

If it's to show popularity in that area, it's not being shown if I vote for people in ... Belgium! :shun:

The point is to give recognition to artists in the continent specified.

The EMAs for instance, to give awards to all the European artists, from the European community.

Europe has just as many huge stars, as the US, especially in each individual country. And none of these artists got a sniff of a nomination last night.

For example, Yelle and Dionysis from France, the two support acts at PDP. They are really popular there, yet in the last couple of years, they've not been nominated. And this is just the tip of the iceberg, every country has its popular artists, in all catergories, yet only a handful were lucky to get nominated, where they should really have been dominating the whole show.

This is the point. The MTV awards, that happen in the US, gets dominated by US artists, and quite rightly.

I'm saying the other ceremonies done around the globe should be treated the same, with their own artists at the forefront winning the awards.

Frankly,I didn't expect Mika to win Best Male :sad: mostly because there were Jay-Z,Kanye and Eminem as the nominees,and their music is being played whole lot more often than Mika's, which is really unfair,especially because their songs are kinda all the same. I knew Robbie couldn't have won; I knew that some American will win. I must say though that I didn't expect Eminem to win,more like Jay-Z or Kanye for instance.

I was wathcing EMAs with my friend and we both cheered for Mika, but he didn't win.. :sad:

Totally agree - the R&B singer/rappers are so dominant in the charts and they really do all sound the bloody same. I'm not overly surprised Mika didn't win mainly because of the dominance of the R&B guys on the radio/TV - but, if the EMA's were restricted to just European artists then they wouldn't have been able to be nominated in the first place in the EMA's. Or, as already said, if voting was restricted to only citizens of the continent holding the Award ceremony then I reckon Mika would've stood a significant chance - as it was, I agree, he was probably up against massive numbers of votes for the R&B singers from their US fans (I acknowledge they do also have European fans too!).

But, like others I AM surprised that of the R&B singers nominated it was Eminem who won :shocked: - I've never GOT him.

Although I suspected Mika wouldn't win (for the reasons mentionned above) I just hoped against hope that he might win - what a coup that would've been against the dominance of the likes of JayZ etc!!! But it wasn't to be...all too predictable. :emot-sad:

Totally agree - the R&B singer/rappers are so dominant in the charts and they really do all sound the bloody same. I'm not overly surprised Mika didn't win mainly because of the dominance of the R&B guys on the radio/TV - but, if the EMA's were restricted to just European artists then they wouldn't have been able to be nominated in the first place in the EMA's. Or, as already said, if voting was restricted to only citizens of the continent holding the Award ceremony then I reckon Mika would've stood a significant chance - as it was, I agree, he was probably up against massive numbers of votes for the R&B singers from their US fans (I acknowledge they do also have European fans too!).

But, like others I AM surprised that of the R&B singers nominated it was Eminem who won :shocked: - I've never GOT him.

Although I suspected Mika wouldn't win (for the reasons mentionned above) I just hoped against hope that he might win - what a coup that would've been against the dominance of the likes of JayZ etc!!! But it wasn't to be...all too predictable. :emot-sad:

If it were European only, the guy Robi mentioned from Italy would possibly been up against him.

And Dizzee Rascal would have been in the Urban catergory.

And David Guetta might have stood more of a chance than he did against Beyonce!

I agree. Since most nominees for the EMA's are American, musicians from European countries besides the UK aren't even considered. Well, except for Tokio Hotel. If it was the rule that only European acts could be nominated, acts from Italy, France, Spain, Poland, etc. would have a chance of winning something but I guess any act not known in the U.S. doesn't matter to MTV