BIOTG video and Jools Holland

babspanky

Yeah I've no idea how you'd do that either, but in my head it just fits. I don't want to lose that clockwork orange/20's thing that Mika's got going on because it suits him so well, IMO. Plus not every music video needs to be modern. I think little bits could be in colour. Like the little lamps maybe. But I think it should predominantly be black and white.

The 20s thing TOTALLY suits him. He looks very dapper. :wub2: I went back and watched those two videos - I love the braces and the big wide trousers and that bit in the Feeling one where they're eating the spaghetti. It's great. :biggrin2:

Would you have the guy in colour? Because it feels like he needs to be in colour to place him on a pedestal. I could *probably* do it on After Effects - maybe certain colours should be kept in, like opulent colours such as red and gold, to give that fancy lifestyle feel to it. And you can also exaggerate the colours then.

Ooooh! Thanks for the link peoples. I did like that scene, very cinematic but not...commercial. It was...artistic.

That's what BIOTG was trying to be, I think. Artistic. But it failed.

Yeah, I definitely agree. 'Oh look, this is my video with Mika and I'm very arty and hip.' No.

That Notting Hill scene was really gorgeously done. Like...I can't remember her name, but Emma Chamber's character having a boyfriend and being all happy and then splitting up with him halfway through, the pregnant woman holding the baby at the end...it was all really well thought out. And the colours in the stalls as well, when it got to the summer months you started to get the bright fruit and veg coming back in. It's just great.

Oh I've watched for as long I can remember :wub2: But I know what you mean, tim burton movies can have that effect. I didn't dare to watch 'the nightmare before christmas' when I was little :aah:

Here's the scene I was talking about, tho I think the magic's lost a bit if you didn't see the whole movie.

Aaaw that was a total disney princess moment.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 20s thing TOTALLY suits him. He looks very dapper. :wub2: I went back and watched those two videos - I love the braces and the big wide trousers and that bit in the Feeling one where they're eating the spaghetti. It's great. :biggrin2:

Would you have the guy in colour? Because it feels like he needs to be in colour to place him on a pedestal. I could *probably* do it on After Effects - maybe certain colours should be kept in, like opulent colours such as red and gold, to give that fancy lifestyle feel to it. And you can also exaggerate the colours then.

Totally have Mika (the narrator) in contrast because although there's a storyline going on, there are two focuses: the storyline AND the performer. He'd been in exaggerated colour. And I imagine this one scene where Mika would be in the back of the bar (from afar :teehee:) sitting on a ledge, staring at the camera singing with everyone around him in black and white acting all normal, and two characters right by the camera IN FOCUS - Mika and background are OUT OF FOCUS - so then you are concentrating on the storyline - and then the characters by the camera go OUT OF FOCUS, and Mika and background come IN FOCUS. Does that make sense? And Mika's character would be everywhere, like there'd only be one Mika in one shot, but if the camera moved Mika would be there again, but dressed as someone else. And then the camera would move again and there's Mika dressed as another character, maybe a member of staff or something.

Some videos that come to mind are Britney Spears' videos "Lucky", "Toxic" and "Womanizer"

That Notting Hill scene was really gorgeously done. Like...I can't remember her name, but Emma Chamber's character having a boyfriend and being all happy and then splitting up with him halfway through, the pregnant woman holding the baby at the end...it was all really well thought out. And the colours in the stalls as well, when it got to the summer months you started to get the bright fruit and veg coming back in. It's just great.

YES - I loved the colours most of all. It really emphasises the season.

I see more people are into the fan clip... I really think we should steal Mika for a day and do this... :naughty:

Cazi- you still got squirls left? I think its a mission for them :roftl:

but I hoped all along it was going to be a story kind of clip... and yourstory ideas are fantastic, and the colors, and focus and scenes...

I can see it in my head- from top to bottom... almost... and its looking much better then the clip itself... you know? is that good? i dunno! :roftl:

I see more people are into the fan clip... I really think we should steal Mika for a day and do this... :naughty:

Cazi- you still got squirls left? I think its a mission for them :roftl:

but I hoped all along it was going to be a story kind of clip... and yourstory ideas are fantastic, and the colors, and focus and scenes...

I can see it in my head- from top to bottom... almost... and its looking much better then the clip itself... you know? is that good? i dunno! :roftl:

My squirrels are ALWAYS with me! :aah:

You know what, I can't even watch Mika's video anymore and I've only watched it about 5 times. I'm digging my own idea waaaaayyy too much :naughty:

I mean look! We've already constructed our own ideas, know what we need and want, we've already done BLIMMIN' RESEARCH!

Totally have Mika (the narrator) in contrast because although there's a storyline going on, there are two focuses: the storyline AND the performer. He'd been in exaggerated colour. And I imagine this one scene where Mika would be in the back of the bar (from afar :teehee:) sitting on a ledge, staring at the camera singing with everyone around him in black and white acting all normal, and two characters right by the camera IN FOCUS - Mika and background are OUT OF FOCUS - so then you are concentrating on the storyline - and then the characters by the camera go OUT OF FOCUS, and Mika and background come IN FOCUS. Does that make sense? And Mika's character would be everywhere, like there'd only be one Mika in one shot, but if the camera moved Mika would be there again, but dressed as someone else. And then the camera would move again and there's Mika dressed as another character, maybe a member of staff or something.

Some videos that come to mind are Britney Spears' videos "Lucky", "Toxic" and "Womanizer"

I don't think you'd need to make the contrast THAT drastic though. Maybe give him something about his appearance as each character that stays constant (apart from it being him) but isn't as obvious as the WHOLE of him being in colour. I dunno, maybe give him a certain colour, or always have him with a hankie in his pocket or something.

I love your idea about changing the focus (or depth of field in more tech-y camera terms :thumb_yello:) that would be brilliant. Difficult, and you'd need a really experienced camera operator, but it would be mega effective.

Would the characters from the story notice Mika in your idea? In mine it was just the main guy (we need a name for him - anyone?) who kept seeing him everywhere but in the places he *actually* was everyone could see him. Like in the restaurant scene I said about, everyone sees him, but when the guy's getting ready in the morning, he sees Mika standing behind him in his reflection and he turns around and he's not there.

Kind of like if you hear an unusual word on the radio and then you KEEP hearing it everywhere, I dunno if that's ever happened to you.

My squirrels are ALWAYS with me! :aah:

You know what, I can't even watch Mika's video anymore and I've only watched it about 5 times. I'm digging my own idea waaaaayyy too much :naughty:

I mean look! We've already constructed our own ideas, know what we need and want, we've already done BLIMMIN' RESEARCH!

all we need is Mika! he isnt answering any tweets! :sneaky2: I say we put a curly wig on freddie and go for it :roftl:

seriously though- Mika should be all for it... I mean, for his fans... we'll supply food- the boy just has to show up, shut up and look pretty to the camera :mf_rosetinted::aah:

I couldnt watch for the third time... the computer shut itself off :aah:

I don't think you'd need to make the contrast THAT drastic though. Maybe give him something about his appearance as each character that stays constant (apart from it being him) but isn't as obvious as the WHOLE of him being in colour. I dunno, maybe give him a certain colour, or always have him with a hankie in his pocket or something.

I love your idea about changing the focus (or depth of field in more tech-y camera terms :thumb_yello:) that would be brilliant. Difficult, and you'd need a really experienced camera operator, but it would be mega effective.

Would the characters from the story notice Mika in your idea? In mine it was just the main guy (we need a name for him - anyone?) who kept seeing him everywhere but in the places he *actually* was everyone could see him. Like in the restaurant scene I said about, everyone sees him, but when the guy's getting ready in the morning, he sees Mika standing behind him in his reflection and he turns around and he's not there.

Kind of like if you hear an unusual word on the radio and then you KEEP hearing it everywhere, I dunno if that's ever happened to you.

experinced camera operator you say!? no fear- Inbar is here... yeah, Im not that good at all... not close to it even... but with some help- and lots of edditing later... :naughty:

yes, but I guess you can combine the ideas in this way or another- as they dont contradidct eachother.. am I making sense?

yes- or when you ask your dad (when your 5) how you tie a bike to your car, and all day you keep seeing cars with bikes attached to them... it was frickin scary! :aah:

Edited by inbar_assaf

all we need is Mika! he isnt answering any tweets! :sneaky2: I say we put a curly wig on freddie and go for it :roftl:

seriously though- Mika should be all for it... I mean, for his fans... we'll supply food- the boy just has to show up, shut up and look pretty to the camera :mf_rosetinted::aah:

I couldnt watch for the third time... the computer shut itself off :aah:

experinced camera operator you say!? no fear- Inbar is here... yeah, Im not that good at all... not close to it even... but with some help- and lots of edditing later... :naughty:

There are limits to what editing can do. Trust me, I know, all too well unfortunately. I'm not sure if I'd be able to get the different f point effect on After Effects. I've NEVER used After Effects but if I get CS4 (which I'm considering as it's dead cheap while I'm a student) then it all comes together, decisions decisions...

To be honest I quite like the idea of making Mika different characters. It's like he's an extra but you know he isn't. And I like your idea of having main characters and them interacting with Mika. I totally get it. And the bit where you say the main character sees him everywhere even though he *isn't* there...I think that could work well with my "changing characters" idea, because it's like the main person is seeing him in loads of places but isn't sure if it's him...

Like...OOH OOH OOH!!! HAVE YOU EVER SEEN "HOOK" WITH ROBIN WILLIAMS IN...PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVE....it's like having Mr. Smee in Neverland and then when Peter comes back to Earth he sees "Mr.Smee" as a cleaner or someone...but not Mr.Smee...if you get me...JUST LIKE THAT.

To be honest I quite like the idea of making Mika different characters. It's like he's an extra but you know he isn't. And I like your idea of having main characters and them interacting with Mika. I totally get it. And the bit where you say the main character sees him everywhere even though he *isn't* there...I think that could work well with my "changing characters" idea, because it's like the main person is seeing him in loads of places but isn't sure if it's him...

Like...OOH OOH OOH!!! HAVE YOU EVER SEEN "HOOK" WITH ROBIN WILLIAMS IN...PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVE....it's like having Mr. Smee in Neverland and then when Peter comes back to Earth he sees "Mr.Smee" as a cleaner or someone...but not Mr.Smee...if you get me...JUST LIKE THAT.

Yeah, Mika as different characters is great, but I think there should be one defining thing that singles him out from the others, so no matter 'who' he is or what he's wearing, you automatically know it's him. Oooh it could be cufflinks. So if he's a waiter setting a drink down on a table, you see his hand putting the drink down, and you see the cufflink in his shirt sleeve but you don't see him, but then it's the same set of cufflinks for eveyr character that he plays.

I haven't seen Hook (well, I've seen about 2 minutes of it in a theory lesson but that doesn't count) but I totally get what you mean.

OMG Caz, you, me, Mika, Essex.

I wish the others were closer so we could all do something properly together. I'm not sure logistically how our little music video crew thing can work out.

Lots of file transfers I suppose!

Yeah, Mika as different characters is great, but I think there should be one defining thing that singles him out from the others, so no matter 'who' he is or what he's wearing, you automatically know it's him. Oooh it could be cufflinks. So if he's a waiter setting a drink down on a table, you see his hand putting the drink down, and you see the cufflink in his shirt sleeve but you don't see him, but then it's the same set of cufflinks for eveyr character that he plays.

I haven't seen Hook (well, I've seen about 2 minutes of it in a theory lesson but that doesn't count) but I totally get what you mean.

OMG Caz, you, me, Mika, Essex.

I wish the others were closer so we could all do something properly together. I'm not sure logistically how our little music video crew thing can work out.

Lots of file transfers I suppose!

Yeah I get it. Maybe it could be a bowler hat. Or that glove thing he has on in the video.

SERIOUSLY, our idea f*cking rules. It's much better than what "the professionals" came up with. Jeez. All we need is a professional camera set and editing programme :naughty: oh, and a studio. With lots of extras. Eh, MFCers could fly over. How would we bribe Mika, though? :roftl:

We could be directors dammit!

Yeah I get it. Maybe it could be a bowler hat. Or that glove thing he has on in the video.

SERIOUSLY, our idea f*cking rules. It's much better than what "the professionals" came up with. Jeez. All we need is a professional camera set and editing programme :naughty: oh, and a studio. With lots of extras. Eh, MFCers could fly over. How would we bribe Mika, though? :roftl:

Thats it- I dropped the camera thing- Ill screw the thing up... Ill bribe Mika...

cheese :mf_rosetinted: I know where to get good cheese that makes you wanna hug trees and stroke gerbils...:mf_rosetinted:

throw in a diamond pig- and he's in for sure! :roftl:

Yeah, somethng transitional between characters, but defining at the same time.

Well OBVIOUSLY our idea rules.

Extras can be gotten by asking students doing drama courses at college and they'll do it for free, just as long as you provide them with a DVD of it at the end of it so you can put it in their showreel.

I've been thinking about getting Adobe CS4 which comes with editing and SFX packages and I spent weeks on end editing my Waking Up in Vegas video. I know my way round that shiz like I know my way round Romford. (Very well).

As for cameras, I could probably talk my old tutor into lending me out their Sony HDV cam. I used it for my final major project and it's a bit of a beast but the quality is actually ridiculously good.

We'll cross the Mika bridge when we come to it. :naughty:

Yeah, somethng transitional between characters, but defining at the same time.

Well OBVIOUSLY our idea rules.

Extras can be gotten by asking students doing drama courses at college and they'll do it for free, just as long as you provide them with a DVD of it at the end of it so you can put it in their showreel.

I've been thinking about getting Adobe CS4 which comes with editing and SFX packages and I spent weeks on end editing my Waking Up in Vegas video. I know my way round that shiz like I know my way round Romford. (Very well).

As for cameras, I could probably talk my old tutor into lending me out their Sony HDV cam. I used it for my final major project and it's a bit of a beast but the quality is actually ridiculously good.

We'll cross the Mika bridge when we come to it. :naughty:

Are we actually serious about this? :aah: We need to pitch our idea to Team Mika! That video HAS to go :aah: Or he can just release two videos. And we'll do it for free!

He can pay us if he likes, though...LOL!!!

SO...you're a good editor huh? That's pretty awesome news. I don't have a great deal of experience in editing, I used Windows Movie Maker when I did my WAG video but I think it's decent enough...it requires a lot of time, patience and perfectionism lol :naughty: we'd be a good team Jazz!

OH and when we get him, (cos we totally will, HA!) we could get him to do the piano solo at a grand piano in the corner and he could be the 'piano guy' you get in clubs.

Yes! Like that dude in the beginning of Chicago, during "All that jazz" :wink2:

Are we actually serious about this? :aah: We need to pitch our idea to Team Mika! That video HAS to go :aah: Or he can just release two videos. And we'll do it for free!

He can pay us if he likes, though...LOL!!!

SO...you're a good editor huh? That's pretty awesome news. I don't have a great deal of experience in editing, I used Windows Movie Maker when I did my WAG video but I think it's decent enough...it requires a lot of time, patience and perfectionism lol :naughty: we'd be a good team Jazz!

Yes! Like that dude in the beginning of Chicago, during "All that jazz" :wink2:

Yeah, I did Media Production which is different to Media because in production you DO all the things and learn about them like that, rather than learning about them through textbooks, whatever.

It's too good of an idea NOT to make it and we should totally do it as a service to all the Mika fans who were expecting more.

And if not we could probably just do it without Mika and make it more narrative based. You could have hints of him in places, like portraits and OH OH OH you know how they sometimes have clips of other songs at the beginning of music videos. How about have PUOTF coming out of a wireless and adding some crackly effects over the top. OHHH.

We would totally be a good team. Essex girls unite!!

Yeah, I did Media Production which is different to Media because in production you DO all the things and learn about them like that, rather than learning about them through textbooks, whatever.

It's too good of an idea NOT to make it and we should totally do it as a service to all the Mika fans who were expecting more.

And if not we could probably just do it without Mika and make it more narrative based. You could have hints of him in places, like portraits and OH OH OH you know how they sometimes have clips of other songs at the beginning of music videos. How about have PUOTF coming out of a wireless and adding some crackly effects over the top. OHHH.

We would totally be a good team. Essex girls unite!!

PUOTF definitely needs to be referenced in the video, because it's a similar era. Honest to God.

I've had my dinner sitting in front of me for about ten minutes but I keep reaching over it to type. :aah:

OMG PUOTF in the 20s before we kick in with BIOTG.

Excuse me while I nerdgasm. :roftl:

NERDGASM ROFL. Yes, it could be on a Gamophone and the sound and quality could sound all scratchy...you know that horn shaped thing that needs winding up...THAT. It could start off with a close up of that, with the last chorus of PUOTF on it. OOH OOH OOH, and you know a typical 1920's edit? Where it's all black and then you get this circle in the centre that widens and the picture is inside the circle and then the full image appears on screen...BLACK AND WHITE...and then it would straight cut to the bar with people by it, Mika and main character in colour or something...and when PUOTF finishes to scene would change to Mika speaking to other guests or staff saying "I was sitting in the bar and this guy came up to me..." blah blah blah

OH IT'S SUCH A VISION

What, have the circle of the next scene expand from the hole in the gramophone horn? So it leaps out of the darkness?

Oh gosh, it's so exciting and I'm giggling like a fool.

Did they have credit cards in the 20s?

OH NO FAIL!

"And I look at his goooold chequebook..." :roftl:

What, have the circle of the next scene expand from the hole in the gramophone horn? So it leaps out of the darkness?

Oh gosh, it's so exciting and I'm giggling like a fool.

Did they have credit cards in the 20s?

OH NO FAIL!

"And I look at his goooold chequebook..." :roftl:

OH F*CK A DUCK...I didn't think of that...:doh: Well that totally ruins the concept. Oh whatever, who cares, it's on Planet Zog and there WERE credit cards in...2020. They just like black and whiteness and 1920's fashion.

Argh, lemme show you what I mean, I literally JUST made this video especially for you. Gimme 2 minutes!

There are ALWAYS ways around these things, don't worry, we'll work something out.

Especially for me? WOW! Now I have Kylie and Jason stuck in my head. :naughty: I think I get what you mean with that transition though. It starts from a fixed point and get bigger til it fills the whole screen and it's the new scene underneath?

There are ALWAYS ways around these things, don't worry, we'll work something out.

Especially for me? WOW! Now I have Kylie and Jason stuck in my head. :naughty: I think I get what you mean with that transition though. It starts from a fixed point and get bigger til it fills the whole screen and it's the new scene underneath?

Jazzy are you guys re-doing BIOTG vid or are you doing a new vid for one of the other tracks off of TBWKTM??

I read back through a couple of pages & I am confused.:shocked::boxed::blink: I am just curious.

Edited by Kodes100

Jazzy are you guys re-doing BIOTG vid or are you doing a new vid for one of the other tracks off of TBWKTM??

I read back through a couple of pages & I am confused.:shocked::boxed::blink:

I think the crew are going to do other songs on TBWKTM but Caz and I are just discussing dream ideas for BIOTG: e.g. credit cards in the 20s. :roftl::roftl:

pretty much, but i just added the live version of PUOTF plus added idea of shots or whatever...

plus imagine background noise with the song...

and then imagine a fade out and then a fade in to "so I was sitting in the bar..."

Oh! and imagine the circle transition to be slower. I tried to see if I could slow it down but this IS windows movie maker we're talking about...:roftl:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5rb634

merry christmas. :mf_rosetinted: