Mika reviews in Belgian press

Droopsy

Flair magazine:

flair1.jpg

Everybody loves Mika

He’s just as enigmatic – does he sleep with men or women – as flamboyant and especially: charismatic. 9 month old babies to 99 y.o. grandmothers… Really, everyone loves Mika…

He let big girls look at themselves differently and tested the limits of his vocal range with relax, take it easy… Two years after his debute LICM, now there is Mika’s second one: TBWKTM. Flair editor Sigrid had a chat with him.

Once a showman, always a showman

“I’ve always wanted to be on a stage. In my earliest memories, I’m standing in front of a mirror, wildy playbacking with my toothbrush. I felt like a star. I never had that feeling again since, not even when I’m on stage (laughs).”

Like Grace Kelly…

“When I first negotiated with a record boss, he said to me: ‘We see something in you, but you’re still missing a hit.’ I went home and wrote Grace Kelly. I sent the demo. They never returned my call.

The sudden success

“LICM was so successful, unbelievable really. That put a lot of pressure on my shoulders. Someone gave me the good advice to create a routine for myself in order to avoid stress. I needed a disciplined life. For a whole year I slept in a room without a window, washed myself every morning at the same time, had breakfast at the same spot. Then I headed off to the studio and would work till lunch. During lunch I always ate the same and at night I always went to the same bar. It worked. I didn’t feel lost anymore.”

Crazy about Gaga

“I have a thing for Lady Gaga. She’s an intelligent woman that knows exactly what she wants and does everything to accomplish that. I watched her perform solo once, just her voice and her piano, nothing more than that: FAN-TAS-TIC! I also love her look. She’s fascinated by drag queens and dresses like that too: like a guy that wants to look like a woman. She also gushes with Amy Winehouse. No surprise: since Amy, even ugly girls can be famous!”

flairs.jpg

Back from being away

The boy who knew too much *****

GK, BG, HE, Lollipop, LT, Relax: six top 10-hits were on Mika’s debute LICM. Meanwhile, Mika no longer is the new Freddie Mercury, the type of singer that can reach slightly too high notes to be unsuspicious, but jus Mika, pop idol. With TBWKTM he continues to do what he’s best at and gives us another couple of real hits. Sing-alongs with a big dose of kitsch, just as we like them.

Libelle magazine:

libelle.jpg

Adolescent enthusiasm

BIOTG is the second song on Mika’s new album. Instant hit, because it sounds like Bucks Fizz. Unlike all those boring Eurosong winners, Mika does know the line of having bad taste. He approaches it constantly but never crosses it. He arranges better than his examples and adds a little wink. The 26 y.o. Mika calls TBWKTM more adult than his overwhelming debute LICM’. Luckily I don’t hear that and it’s not necessary either. Please let there be one who lets his falsetto roar in an adolescent and enthusiastic way, without caring about what reviewers will think of it. (--> Hell yeah!! :punk:)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tks Droopsy!!

Once a showman, always a showman

“I’ve always wanted to be on a stage. In my earliest memories, I’m standing in front of a mirror, wildy playbacking with my toothbrush. I felt like a star. I never had that feeling again since, not even when I’m on stage (laughs).” :biggrin2:

He really didn't need that about Amy Winehouse... :boxed:

I'm quite confused that he said that about her,since I know he liked her :boxed: Even if he really thinks she's ugly he shouldn't have said it in an interview.

This is a funny interview,but....what's the point of this kind of statements (if it's true)? I think he just makes himself a bad advert and a bad public image.

I've noticed that he's been making some rather reckless and perhaps even odd statements in the press. Now I wonder if that might be one of the reasons of his fairly bad selling of TBWKTM in the UK.

And what's the thing about Lady GaGa? He's been mentioning her really often lately. I've got an impression as if he's been "advertising" her, not himself. :boxed:

This might be the top of the cake for the Mika haters IMO :naughty:

I think something got lost in the translation on the Winehouse quote. It's also an insult to Lady GaGa since it implies they are both ugly. :naughty:

That's what I wanted to say too. Perhaps the interviewer misunderstood him or translated him badly..

That's what I wanted to say too. Perhaps the interviewer misunderstood him or translated him badly..

Yes if he said anything like this at all it was probably more along the lines of them not being conventional beauties or something. I can't imagine it was "ugly", unless this is something GaGa herself said.

Yes if he said anything like this at all it was probably more along the lines of them not being conventional beauties or something. I can't imagine it was "ugly", unless this is something GaGa herself said.

Yes,I think so too. And I've read GaGa saying that she considers herself not pretty, but cute and charming. Never read that she said she was ugly or anything of the kind LOL.

So,either the interviewer made a mistake...or Mika's really rude. :naughty:

Well, I guess when things are translated in Dutch, they usually translate it more blunt than it actually was said.

I think so too :teehee: If I wanted to create a stir I could have translated the bit about gaga like: 'I have a crush on gaga' instead of 'a thing for'...:mf_rosetinted: That would have been how I normally would have translated it but I thought that wouldn't be so wise here. So I altered it a tiny bit :mf_rosetinted:

Translation really depends on the person + flair isn't an intellectual magazine or something :roftl: It's all about gossip and superficial things:naughty: