Displaced Mika explores gender and sexuality (Townsville Bulletin, 5/12/09)

bonzaboy

Displaced Mika explores gender and sexuality

Townsville Bulletin, 5th December 2009

HE'S half Lebanese, half American, grew up in Paris, and now lives in London.

There's no wonder pop star Mika feels displaced.

The 26-year-old eccentric musician, who was in Australia for a one-off show in Sydney, says he doesn't know quite where he fits in.

``I am a product of many places. I don't belong anywhere in particular,'' Mika said.

``That has its disadvantages -- because I feel a little bit displaced and I really don't know where I belong. The only thing that gives me a sense of belonging is wherever my family is.

``And so I wonder in the future where I'll end up.''

But, on the plus side, Mika says his cosmopolitanism helped his song writing.

``I write music that is subsequently not from a particular country, not from a particular scene or sound,'' Mika says.

``It's an inevitable thing for me to make eclectic music because that is my background.

``It's not a choice, it's just how I write, that kind of freedom, which other people are not allowed to have.''

Mika -- who released his hit debut album Life in Cartoon Motion in 2007 -- has a strong fan base in Australia but has only performed here once.

However, at this stage in his career, he says he's focused on Australia and will tour here next year.

``I feel like I haven't been touring enough here -- and I'm trying to change that,'' Mika said.

``When I first came it was such a confusing place to me, because there were so many things about it that were so familiar yet so far away. The more I come the more I love it.

``I get why artists like being here so much. You have quite an eclectic music sound.''

Mika released his second album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, this year, spawning hits such as We Are Golden.

He's now working on new material, which will include electronic songs and `organic' tunes written more traditionally, sitting down in front of a piano.

He says much of his inspiration comes from his fascination about gender and sexuality.

``It's born out of trying to figure out who I am,'' Mika says, adding he's a very private person, and believes in channelling his thoughts into music.

``It's born out of this fascination with identity, in a geographic way, to the concept of sexuality, to the concept of gender to all these different things.''

----------

I must say, I'm quite impressed with my local paper. This doesn't appear to have been copied out of a tabloid from another continent, unlike what is usually published. lol

Original article here

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got the strangest feeling of deja vu when reading this article :blink: Somehow I feel like I've read it (or something similar) before, but I'm pretty sure I've never read your local newspaper XD

T4P ! :D

So do I. It sounds like another interview that was published recently :naughty:

Displaced Mika explores gender and sexuality

Townsville Bulletin, 5th December 2009

HE'S half Lebanese, half American, grew up in Paris, and now lives in London.

There's no wonder pop star Mika feels displaced.

The 26-year-old eccentric musician, who was in Australia for a one-off show in Sydney, says he doesn't know quite where he fits in.

``I am a product of many places. I don't belong anywhere in particular,'' Mika said.

``That has its disadvantages -- because I feel a little bit displaced and I really don't know where I belong. The only thing that gives me a sense of belonging is wherever my family is.

``And so I wonder in the future where I'll end up.''

But, on the plus side, Mika says his cosmopolitanism helped his song writing.

``I write music that is subsequently not from a particular country, not from a particular scene or sound,'' Mika says.

``It's an inevitable thing for me to make eclectic music because that is my background.

``It's not a choice, it's just how I write, that kind of freedom, which other people are not allowed to have.''

Mika -- who released his hit debut album Life in Cartoon Motion in 2007 -- has a strong fan base in Australia but has only performed here once.

However, at this stage in his career, he says he's focused on Australia and will tour here next year.

``I feel like I haven't been touring enough here -- and I'm trying to change that,'' Mika said.

``When I first came it was such a confusing place to me, because there were so many things about it that were so familiar yet so far away. The more I come the more I love it.

``I get why artists like being here so much. You have quite an eclectic music sound.''

Mika released his second album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, this year, spawning hits such as We Are Golden.

He's now working on new material, which will include electronic songs and `organic' tunes written more traditionally, sitting down in front of a piano.

He says much of his inspiration comes from his fascination about gender and sexuality.

``It's born out of trying to figure out who I am,'' Mika says, adding he's a very private person, and believes in channelling his thoughts into music.

``It's born out of this fascination with identity, in a geographic way, to the concept of sexuality, to the concept of gender to all these different things.''

----------

I must say, I'm quite impressed with my local paper. This doesn't appear to have been copied out of a tabloid from another continent, unlike what is usually published. lol

Original article here

I too am quite impressed with your local paper.:naughty:

But I'm curious about the part where it says "He's now working on new material, which will include electronic songs and `organic' tunes written more traditionally, sitting down in front of a piano."

When does the boy have time to be working on NEW material? He's only just finished TBWKTM, and he still hasn't finished running around the world flogging that. I expect him to be "dining out" on the second album for at least the next year.

I too am quite impressed with your local paper.:naughty:

But I'm curious about the part where it says "He's now working on new material, which will include electronic songs and `organic' tunes written more traditionally, sitting down in front of a piano."

When does the boy have time to be working on NEW material? He's only just finished TBWKTM, and he still hasn't finished running around the world flogging that. I expect him to be "dining out" on the second album for at least the next year.

but halfway through 2007 Mika was already working on his second album lol. The boy's married to his work.

Yes one isnt enough , maybe we should all change our names to sariflor :naughty:

No can do, she's one of a kind, none of us can squeek like her in those vids....:mf_rosetinted:

We'd be busted!:naughty:

:mf_rosetinted:

Yes I agree :wub2::wub2:

:roftl: I repeat: it is NOT funny :sneaky2::aah:

Archived