You Tube duo have a golden hit on their hands

Sephira

Guest whalesfood

Sorry but you've lost me here in regards to acknowledging your posts. :blink:

lets just say i can see why people don't frequently return here or get chased off and leave it at that.

]Because we have a lot of experience dealing with spammers and other people who come to MFC with an agenda that has nothing to do with being a Mika fan. It's our job to address these posts and posters on MFC. Not decide the motives of people who appear in a newspaper article and aren't even known members of MFC.

The two issues are totally unrelated.

and i understand that but that person just did one single post about global warming. i'm pretty sure it's safe to assume they aren't here for bad. maybe to get a disagreement going about politics.. they didn't really get a chance to prove otherwise. they were automatically judged as so and will probably never come back again. it wasn't exactly a warm greeting. i have more things backing up my opinion of why i feel those 2 didn't have the best intentions with their video then you guys to just jump on the global warming person.

also what superstar is saying about those 2 getting paid to do videos and making them then professional has nothing to do with mika getting things for free. that is unrelated.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they were automatically judged as so and will probably never come back again.

They won't come back again because they are a spammer. In fact I was about to delete their account before anyone even posted in that thread but I agree with you that the topic is worth discussing. So I decided to just keep an eye on it to make sure they weren't going to start flogging watches or something.

i have more things backing up my opinion of why i feel those 2 didn't have the best intentions with their video then you guys to just jump on the global warming person.

You don't know what we use to back up our opinions, clearly. This account exhibits typical spammer behaviour - an invalid MySpace ID, an older male profile, the time zone doesn't match their location and the email address belongs to a blog that sells fake watches. They left MFC the second they made their post and they haven't returned since so they didn't even read any responses to their thread.

also what superstar is saying about those 2 getting paid to do videos and making them then professional has nothing to do with mika getting things for free. that is unrelated.

Well it's not exactly a stretch to entertain the possibility that they weren't paid for their services is it? I could go around telling people that I work on Mika's websites, his promotions, liaise with his fans and even built his set. That doesn't make me a paid professional.

The bottom line is that until someone asks them if they are paid professionals, we don't know.

Guest whalesfood
They won't come back again because they are a spammer. In fact I was about to delete their account before anyone even posted in that thread but I agree with you that the topic is worth discussing. So I decided to just keep an eye on it to make sure they weren't going to start flogging watches or something.

You don't know what we use to back up our opinions, clearly. This account exhibits typical spammer behaviour - an invalid MySpace ID, an older male profile, the time zone doesn't match their location and the email address belongs to a blog that sells fake watches. They left MFC the second they made their post and they haven't returned since so they didn't even read any responses to their thread.

Well it's not exactly a stretch to entertain the possibility that they weren't paid for their services is it? I could go around telling people that I work on Mika's websites, his promotions, liaise with his fans and even built his set. That doesn't make me a paid professional.

The bottom line is that until someone asks them if they are paid professionals, we don't know.

look. as i said in the global warming post just now. my opinion of this whole thing. i feel as if these 2 took away from people with real genuine intentions for winning. which not only takes away from mika's fan's but it also takes away from what mika was doing with the contest. it is my opinion that in their case. mika was used. i am basing my opinion on this based off of having filmmaker friends who enter contests to win. because it looks good in a portfolio. i am basing this off of seeing countless numbers of the youtube "whores" use famous things and people to draw attention to their accounts. i am basing this off of them saying "we saw the contest and figured might as well" and saying how they didn't care if they won or not. as well as what superstar pointed out. even as a mild fan. they did not have good intentions. and that is what upsets me about them winning. they took away from someone with good intentions and put that towards their own self gain. that's upsetting! i am entitled to my opinion of it without getting a lecture about what is and is not a fan.

look. as i said in the global warming post just now. my opinion of this whole thing. i feel as if these 2 took away from people with real genuine intentions for winning. which not only takes away from mika's fan's but it also takes away from what mika was doing with the contest. it is my opinion that in their case. mika was used. i am basing my opinion on this based off of having filmmaker friends who enter contests to win. because it looks good in a portfolio. i am basing this off of seeing countless numbers of the youtube "whores" use famous things and people to draw attention to their accounts. i am basing this off of them saying "we saw the contest and figured might as well" and saying how they didn't care if they won or not. as well as what superstar pointed out. even as a mild fan. they did not have good intentions. and that is what upsets me about them winning. they took away from someone with good intentions and put that towards their own self gain. that's upsetting! i am entitled to my opinion of it without getting a lecture about what is and is not a fan.

Can you agree to disagree? :boxed:

I entered this competition with a pretty good entry if I do say so myself - I spent just over 20 hours editing alone and that does NOT include the other videos I made nor does it include the filming itself - so finding out you haven't won at all was a blow on it's own (though I had a feeling I hadn't won anyway), THEN finding out you lost to a freakin' Playmobil set felt like it took the biscuit (I mean, ANYONE can play with dolls. To perform in front of a camera in your underwear and to have to put that up on the internet is a big deal to some people. Not me, personally :naughty: but to others with a lack of self esteem, it is.)

To be honest, the entry that has gotten Press Interest was better than the Playmobil Set video (in my opinion). Not because it's very well done, but because I thought the video was creative.

Apparently they ARE fans, having made a Big Girl video too, so they DO know Mika and they DO like music. You don't have to be part of the MFC to be a fan.

Remember that the press doesn't always write down the facts and can manipulate. Sure it sounds like they were just "in it to win it" and didn't care about meeting Mika, but like I say, that's what the press chose to write down. We don't know if the boys said anything else.

I'm planning to leave this competition thing in the past. We've all placed our opinions on this now. No point arguing over something we can't change, eh? :dunno:

Guest whalesfood
I entered this competition with a pretty good entry if I do say so myself - I spent just over 20 hours editing alone and that does NOT include the other videos I made nor does it include the filming itself - so finding out you haven't won at all was a blow on it's own (though I had a feeling I hadn't won anyway), THEN finding out you lost to a freakin' Playmobil set felt like it took the biscuit (I mean, ANYONE can play with dolls. To perform in front of a camera in your underwear and to have to put that up on the internet is a big deal to some people. Not me, personally :naughty: but to others with a lack of self esteem, it is.)

and i had mentioned earlier the beautiful thing mika did for his fans with this competition was to give people the courage to actually do that who wouldn't have had that without him. that's amazing.

Apparently they ARE fans, having made a Big Girl video too, so they DO know Mika and they DO like music. You don't have to be part of the MFC to be a fan.

Remember that the press doesn't always write down the facts and can manipulate. Sure it sounds like they were just "in it to win it" and didn't care about meeting Mika, but like I say, that's what the press chose to write down. We don't know if the boys said anything else.

I'm planning to leave this competition thing in the past. We've all placed our opinions on this now. No point arguing over something we can't change, eh? :dunno:

and all i am saying is that to me they seem to do this for other intentions. why can't i just say that and that be that? why do i have to get argued on that?

I didn't see anyone lecturing you on what is or isn't a fan. I just saw some opinions that differed to yours. But I know most of the regular posters here fairly well so perhaps we're not reading some statements the same way.

I can understand why you're upset, I just happen to not feel the same way, mostly because they are kids. Unless and until I have a conversation with them that convinces me otherwise, I don't see that they used Mika any more than he used them. Mika has hundreds of people making videos for him for no reward other than 500 Mika Points and he mentions it publicly every chance he gets and has their videos advertising his song all over YT.

If you want to continue discussing it, you can. If you want to agree to disagree you can. But IMO it's bad form to say you will agree to disagree and then go into another thread and call people hypocrites for something that was said in this thread. Particularly when the charge of hypocrisy is uncalled for because the moderators here are working on information that you don't have so you actually don't know what they're basing their judgements on.

:bow:

Best quote of the thread!! :roftl:

Caz, our dear little exhibitionist. :huglove:

:doh:

I didn't mean to come across as a whore :roftl: I just happen to like being in front of a camera and performing...

This isn't going so well is it? :naughty:

You know what, I was searching for jobs on the internet and mum was behind me. A job came up with the title "WebCam Performer" and mum went "What's that?" (She's a bit naive...)

So I said "It's rude, mum." and she was like "..Oh..:blink:"

I still don't think she quite got it :naughty:

and i had mentioned earlier the beautiful thing mika did for his fans with this competition was to give people the courage to actually do that who wouldn't have had that without him. that's amazing.

and all i am saying is that to me they seem to do this for other intentions. why can't i just say that and that be that? why do i have to get argued on that?

If you think that then you think that, but there is evidence to suggest otherwise, is all we're saying.

For exactly the same reason that I couldn't say that I didn't think there was anything wrong with people capitalizing on the publicity they receive from the contest without someone arguing with me. :wink2:

This is a discussion. People make statements. Others disagree and offer their own opinions in return. The threads would be very short around here if things didn't work that way.

For exactly the same reason that I couldn't say that I didn't think there was anything wrong with people capitalizing on the publicity they receive from the contest without someone arguing with me. :wink2:

This is a discussion. People make statements. Others disagree and offer their own opinions in return. The threads would be very short around here if things didn't work that way.

And a bit dull to be honest :naughty:

It's good to know that we're fans with brains. I don't think any of us are air-heads, really :naughty:

Ok, so I normally stay out of the debates, but I'm in a weird mood today, and feel like adding my two cents. Here goes nothing...

First and foremost, the time, effort and creativity involved in making that video is astounding! If these boys are not Mika fans, then they sure wasted a lot of time on him, especially since top prize is a m&g. One of the reasons why I did not enter the competition is because I am not crazy about the song, and couldn't stand the thought of having to listen to it over and over again in order to make a video. :aah: So already, these guys are looking like better fans than I am. :naughty:

Second of all, the focus of this article is not these guys' devotion to Mika. It's an article in their local paper, and they're celebrating some hometown talent! (Sorry, but I don't blame the interviewer for not asking only Mika-related questions, or trying to dig up the boys' deepest, darkest Mika fantasies. :teehee:) I think this article is great because their video was great, and because it shines light on Mika, his music, and his generosity toward his fans. It also shows just how creative his fans can be. We are a rather creative bunch, aren't we? :wink2:

Thirdly, this was a VIDEO competition. This was not a search for the world's most dedicated Mika fans. A competition like that would be ridiculous anyway, because it's all so subjective. What makes someone devoted anyway? Flying around the globe to every concert? Scouring Ebay for rare CDs, vinyl, promotional items, used tissues, locks of hair, etc? Plastering your bedroom wall with Mika posters, and crying yourself to sleep every night because he lives so gosh darn far away and will never never, ever be mine!?!??? :tears: Oh sorry, getting a little personal there. :blush-anim-cl: Anyway, you get my drift. Time isn't a good gauge of a fan's devotion either. I'm sure plenty of people were rockin' out to Mika's chewing gum jingle back in the day, and some people even saw him sing on stage back when his name was still spelled with a "c". Does that make them more devoted than I am? Well, maybe... :mf_rosetinted:

What I guess I am trying to say (badly, and with too many poorly placed emoticons) is that I'm happy for these boys. They did great work, Mika himself likes it, and they'll get to discuss it with him in person. I didn't even enter the competition, but if I did, I would definitely choose these guys over me! Let's join the Strabane Chronicle and applaud some ambitious young men for a job well done. :thumb_yello:

(Or just continue to hate on them. Whichever you prefer. :yay:)

What makes someone devoted anyway? Flying around the globe to every concert? Scouring Ebay for rare CDs, vinyl, promotional items, used tissues, locks of hair, etc? Plastering your bedroom wall with Mika posters, and crying yourself to sleep every night because he lives so gosh darn far away and will never never, ever be mine!?!??? :tears: Oh sorry, getting a little personal there. :blush-anim-cl:

:lmfao:

I thought we already decided in Seattle that the most devoted fans are the two blonde Canadians/psychos who make it to the front row of the hypothetical secret Fijian gig. :shun:

To be honest, the entry that has gotten Press Interest was better than the Playmobil Set video (in my opinion). Not because it's very well done, but because I thought the video was creative.

That was such a great post, Caz :bow:

i already tried that!!

awh, hun, don't give yourself a brain hemmorage :huglove::mf_rosetinted:

What happens, happens, and we can't do much about that. And don't think everyone on MFC is gonna start hatin you, cos they're not. IMPO there hasn't been any good debates 'round these parts in a while and they just found themselves something new to argue about :roftl:

Thats partly why I love the MFC. No boring people always agreeing with each other, instead the personalites and views of some people are so varied they make for interesting discussions and at the end of the day, thats why we're on a forum, right? Interesting mika-realted discussions.

Don't take anything said to heart. I made that mistake once also when I was new to the forum :naughty:

I thought we already decided in Seattle that the most devoted fans are the two blonde Canadians/psychos who make it to the front row of the hypothetical secret Fijian gig. :shun:

I think you'll find dressing up in ridiculous outfits has you beaten hands down. LOL!!!

Although with the whole being chased around with a camera, I'm not which way round this devotion lark goes! :-0 Ha ha!

Ah yes! That is devotion right there, but I'm not sure if it's enough to win the title...

Guest whalesfood

awh, hun, don't give yourself a brain hemmorage :huglove::mf_rosetinted:

What happens, happens, and we can't do much about that. And don't think everyone on MFC is gonna start hatin you, cos they're not. IMPO there hasn't been any good debates 'round these parts in a while and they just found themselves something new to argue about :roftl:

Thats partly why I love the MFC. No boring people always agreeing with each other, instead the personalites and views of some people are so varied they make for interesting discussions and at the end of the day, thats why we're on a forum, right? Interesting mika-realted discussions.

Don't take anything said to heart. I made that mistake once also when I was new to the forum :naughty:

ty

i'm sorry blue sky for the comment that i made in the global warming thread but seeing as i was not familiar with the spam and seeing it from an outside view that was not familiar with it, can you guys not see how that seemed hypocritical? but i am sorry for the katty remark and also to lollipop for fighting with you on the thread but you really didn't seem to be reading what i was saying and it just put me more and more into defense and i obviously do not handle that well.

i didn't feel like i was getting secluded or something. i felt like i was getting attacked. if i felt secluded i would just stick to talking to the people who have talked to me and probably just stuck to the color bunny thread. what i had meant by my comment of being overlooked. it does seem very often that there are a handful of people who ignore everything you say if you are new and not part of their group and not only do you get ignored but you end up getting quoted in their own post and it's a little frustrating. and seeing by the myspace messages i have gotten from people about their feeling unwelcomed or chased off and it being a sort of warning. it made me notice these things a little bit more and i know it's not just in my head.

also i am not saying we should all agree. all the time. i am in politics. i would be naive for thinking that was at all humanly possible. i loved debate club and class because of that exact reason! everyone has their own opinion. you get to hear it and talk about it.

i have not been in a good mood the past few days. i should not have taken it out on here but i wasn't fully aware i was doing it at the time and i am sorry for doing so.

christine, lollipop, blue sky. once again. i am sorry for my remarks.

Thanks for that.

As for this thread - all I was saying is that no one knows for sure whether these guys are fans or not. Unless someone is friends with them and has firsthand knowledge of their true motives, all we can base our opinions on is what was quoted in that one article and on the contents of their YouTube channel. In my opinion, that's not enough to declare that they won unfairly. You feel it is. Fair enough - MFC runs on differences of opinion.

The thing that made me really annoyed was the climate change thread. Basically you came across as some newbie to our community who had the audacity to take shots at mods who were simply trying to keep the place spam free. Which lead me to a "WTF? Who the hell does he think he is?" sort of reaction. I know your comments were stemming from frustration over this thread, but I was still taken aback that you would go that route.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not only do you get ignored but you end up getting quoted in their own post and it's a little frustrating." If someone is quoting you, how are they ignoring you? :blink:

Anyhow, it seems most of this was a misunderstanding. I hope that whatever has you in a bad mood eases up, and that you're feeling better in the coming days. :huglove:

Guest whalesfood
Thanks for that.

As for this thread - all I was saying is that no one knows for sure whether these guys are fans or not. Unless someone is friends with them and has firsthand knowledge of their true motives, all we can base our opinions on is what was quoted in that one article and on the contents of their YouTube channel. In my opinion, that's not enough to declare that they won unfairly. You feel it is. Fair enough - MFC runs on differences of opinion.

The thing that made me really annoyed was the climate change thread. Basically you came across as some newbie to our community who had the audacity to take shots at mods who were simply trying to keep the place spam free. Which lead me to a "WTF? Who the hell does he think he is?" sort of reaction. I know your comments were stemming from frustration over this thread, but I was still taken aback that you would go that route.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not only do you get ignored but you end up getting quoted in their own post and it's a little frustrating." If someone is quoting you, how are they ignoring you? :blink:

Anyhow, it seems most of this was a misunderstanding. I hope that whatever has you in a bad mood eases up, and that you're feeling better in the coming days. :huglove:

i never meant to come off as saying that they won unfairly. obviously they were chosen fair and square. what upsets me is their attitude in that article towards the competition. they come off as doing it purely to win it and i felt like that took away from someone who did it with genuine intentions.

and as far as the global warming thread. like i said. i was not familiar with the spam. so the comments towards that person seemed quite snide, especially coming from moderators and like i said. seemed hypocritical. so we were both thinking "who the hell do they think they are?'

i don't mean quote like showing the message. i mean taking someone elses words and using them as their own.

it's my first holiday season without my father and my grandparents, i'm packing to move to an entirely different country and leaving a lot behind. it's very stressful but i will bounce out of it. i always do. and thank you for that.

No problem, these things happen. :huglove:

It takes A LOT to offend me on a message board. But as a moderator I think some comments still need to be addressed. Better to get it out in the open so we can resolve it.

i don't mean quote like showing the message. i mean taking someone elses words and using them as their own.

I'm still a bit confused about this. Maybe they are acknowledging you since they must have read your post and are agreeing? I can see how it might not look that way if they didn't quote you directly, but maybe it's not their intention to ignore you...?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here since I'm still not quite sure what you mean.

Hmm, well like Caz said, just keep in mind it is the press, which is shamefully limited. And think about it! Looking at all the time and effort they put into their video (which was amazingly creative, the extended room and such)... they most definetly had major devotion.

Now even if thwy just did it for kicks, think if they'd never heard of MIKA before. This is great exposure! Potential fans and communoty members (if they weren't already :P)!

• 4 weeks later...

i watch all ciaran and dhamodars videos on youtube and i think they are really talented and i think use are all reli harsh they are not professional filmakers they are amateurs like evryone else who entered..

i would say they are reli annoyed at all ur comments they tried reli hard like all use did,, just because they can use effects better than use doesnt mean they are proffesional i think use all shud cut ciaran and dhamodar some slack ...

im sure they are really gud fans theyve made a big girls you are beautiful video to..

and btw that article is there local paper who took an interest in what they did.

i know ciaran very well he is my bf and i think use are all reli harsh he is not a professional filmaker he is an amateur like evryone else who entered..

He is reli annoyed at all ur comments he tried reli hard like all use did,, just because he can use effects better than use doesnt mean hes a proffesional i think use all shud cut him and dhamodar some slack ...

And btw they are both fans just like use they put in alot of effort and deserve to go see him..

:biggrin2:

Well I think everyone has calmed down since this thread began, but hopefully some will be reassured to hear that they are fans.

Are you going to the Belfast concert with Ciaran?

Anyway kudos to them on the video. It's my favourite one from the final 8 and it's obvious they worked very hard on it.

Archived