You Tube duo have a golden hit on their hands

Sephira

I'm upset. Read That article :sneaky2:

http://www.nwipp-newspapers.com/SC/free/348590883030170.php

You Tube duo have a golden hit on their hands

Dhamador and Ciaran with their tools of the trade.

by Mickey Ferry

STRABANE'S leading internet film-makers, Ciaran Duffy and Dhamodar Smith have taken things one step beyond by winning a major competition involving pop star Mika.

The popular duo, whose wacky videos have been generating thousands of hits on Youtube for two years now, recently became one of five winners in a worldwide competition, where all entrants had to make a video for Mika's latest single, 'We Are Golden'.

Ciaran and Dhamodar's colourful and inventive video is the only winner out the five to come from the UK and Ireland.

Their prize comes in February when they get to meet Mika himself when the singer, who also had massive hits with 'Grace Kelly' and 'Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)', performs in Belfast's Waterfront Hall.

"The idea to do the video came about after I was watching the actual video for 'We Are Golden' on TV," explains Ciaran.

"They only showed part of it but at the end put up a weblink which they said had the entire video. I went onto the site just to see the full video and that's where I saw the ad for the fans' competition. I spoke to Dhamodar about it and we thought, why not."

"One of the rules of the competition," Dhamodar explains, "was that the video had to be based in a bedroom, so that narrowed down where we could go with our ideas.

"We discussed a number of things and then opted to convert the big room into a bedroom and that gave us a greater scope."

Ciaran and Dhamodar's video centres on a secret Mika fan, who hides his appreciation for the singer behind rock posters of icons like Kurt Cobain.

As a Cobain poster falls from the wall a Mika poster is revealed and the young fan goes under the bed and crawls out the other end into the 'secret Mika room'.

The duo submitted the video and expected to hear within 30 days if they were successful or not.

"Thirty days passed with no news so we just assumed that we didn't win. It wasn't until two months after we sent the video that we got word that we were one of the five winners.

"We were well pleased because it was a worldwide competition," explains Ciaran.

The attention to detail shows that even within the short period of a year, Ciaran and Dhamodar have taken their video-making skills onto a new level, creating a video that would sit comfortably on MTV. As ever, the duo are thinking ahead and are presently putting the finishing touches to a new video they've been working on with Lifford singer-songwriter, Mickey Joe Harte.

"It's a video for a Christmas song Mickey is releasing, simply called 'Christmas Day'," explains Dhamodar. "It's the second time we've worked with Mickey and it's going great. We're always planning new ideas and new videos.

"It's great to see that the interest in our videos, especially the new Mika one, is growing in different parts of the world, judging by the comments we're getting on Youtube."

Ciaran and Dhamodar's video for 'We Are Golden' has so far generated almost 11,000 hits on Youtube and that figure is set to sky-rocket in the next few weeks. The video can be viewed now on Ciaran and Dhamodar's Youtube channel. (http://www.youtube.com/user/nameuseriswhat).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are already tweeting the link to the article to Mika - I guess there are a lot of annoyed fans out there.

Finding you have been competing against professional film-makers isn't nice :no:

People are already tweeting the link to the article to Mika - I guess there are a lot of annoyed fans out there.

Finding you have been competing against professional film-makers isn't nice :no:

that's not what it's about to me... if they're fans, i don't see the problem with being professional filmmakers. but if they just took part to promote their work, like it sounds in that article, it's not ok imo. if money had been the prize, yes. but not if the prize was a m+g with mika, it was very obviously a competition for fans! :sneaky2:

it might be just the article though, focussing on their work - maybe they are in fact fans of mika. :dunno:

that's not what it's about to me... if they're fans, i don't see the problem with being professional filmmakers. but if they just took part to promote their work, like it sounds in that article, it's not ok imo. if money had been the prize, yes. but not if the prize was a m+g with mika, it was very obviously a competition for fans! :sneaky2:

it might be just the article though, focussing on their work - maybe they are in fact fans of mika. :dunno:

They are not Mika fans thats the problem:sneaky2:

They are not Mika fans thats the problem:sneaky2:

how do you know? :dunno: as i said, the article suggests that they're not... but the press writes a lot of things, or leaves out facts, and well, maybe he's their fave musician and they've always dreamt of meeting him. :dunno: we don't really know what their motif was, so without judging too soon, all i can say is that IF they did it just to promote their work and not because they'd like to meet mika because they like him/his music, i wouldn't like it.

well, i'll be in belfast, i can go and ask them. :naughty:

Guest whalesfood

i'm upset for you. that's just not right. i hadn't seen the video. it's not even really that good. it's annoying if anything. i'm sorry to those who entered. i feel bad for mika too. he did this fun creative things for his fans and now he's just going to meet 2 people who are filmmakers who figured "why not" that's what upsets me. "we saw the competition and figured why not" they obviously could of cared less.

hmm, guess you might be right. i commented on their video a few hours ago, asking whether they were fans and i wouldn't like it if they weren't... and that comment is gone now. :boxed: asked again just now, with only the question, let's see if that stays there. :fisch:

poor mika though, he'll probably have to read/hear some complaints about it, but how could he have known? imo it IS a great video, and it's mika's style, with the flying into space on the bed and everything - i'd never have thought that these guys weren't fans. :dunno:

Guest whalesfood
hmm, guess you might be right. i commented on their video a few hours ago, asking whether they were fans and i wouldn't like it if they weren't... and that comment is gone now. :boxed: asked again just now, with only the question, let's see if that stays there. :fisch:

poor mika though, he'll probably have to read/hear some complaints about it, but how could he have known? imo it IS a great video, and it's mika's style, with the flying into space on the bed and everything - i'd never have thought that these guys weren't fans. :dunno:

they were definitely familiar with what he likes and doesn't like. but they could have also just put that together by watching videos and such. just like we all have. and seeing as they wanted to win i'm sure they did. they are making it very public that they won. that gets them recognition. which is better than money if you're an aspiring anything.

nobody is blaming mika. like i said. i feel sorry for him above anything.

He wants that fans have fun in making videos and have pleasure to win a meet and 2 guys who are not fans and just want to be famous win :sneaky2:

Guest whalesfood
He wants that fans have fun in making videos and have pleasure to win a meet and 2 guys who are not fans and just want to be famous win :sneaky2:

i know and that's what's so upsetting. for him and the fans who entered. they stole away something on both ends.

You guys are all assuming that these two aren't fans at all. I wouldn't assume that right off the bat. Sure, they make be professional filmmakers - to me, that much was obvious watching the video. There are clearly effects that someone couldn't achieve with just a point and shoot camera and a copy of Windows Movie Maker. But to assume they "stole" this from a real fan is a bit presumptuous.

There's not really a lot of career glory involved in this for them, so if they're not fans, they went to a hell of a lot of effort (both in making the video, and in researching Mika's material) for very little reward. IMHO.

Guest whalesfood
You guys are all assuming that these two aren't fans at all. I wouldn't assume that right off the bat. Sure, they make be professional film-makers - to me, that much was obvious watching the video. There are clearly effects that someone couldn't achieve with just a point and shoot camera and a copy of Windows Movie Maker. But to assume they "stole" this from a real fan is a bit presumptuous.

There's not really a lot of career glory involved in this for them, so if they're not fans, they went to a hell of a lot of effort (both in making the video, and in researching Mika's material) for very little reward. IMHO.

but see it's not necessarily a little reward. obviously it draws attention to them. it's something they can actually use in a portfolio. i am assuming they aren't fans yes but read their attitude towards the competition in the article. they could have cared the hell less. which says to me they aren't fans.

but see it's not necessarily a little reward. obviously it draws attention to them. it's something they can actually use in a portfolio. i am assuming they aren't fans yes but read their attitude towards the competition in the article. they could have cared the hell less. which says to me they aren't fans.

But the article also says they were watching a clip of WAG on TV, went online to see the full video, and that's when they heard of the contest. So based on that, they were big enough fans to have been paying attention to the clip on TV, and then to make the effort to go online to see the full video before reading about the contest.

In my opinion, that makes them fans, even if they're not as "hardcore" as some of us are. I don't see how that's unfair, though. :dunno:

Guest whalesfood
But the article also says they were watching a clip of WAG on TV, went online to see the full video, and that's when they heard of the contest. So based on that, they were big enough fans to have been paying attention to the clip on TV, and then to make the effort to go online to see the full video before reading about the contest.

In my opinion, that makes them fans, even if they're not as "hardcore" as some of us are. I don't see how that's unfair, though. :dunno:

that or they just saw the clip of it on tv while just watching it and it drew attention to them enough to look it up online. that's what happened with me and grace kelly. i saw a clip it made me curious. i looked it up. i could of cared less about the rest of his music at that point.

and i'm not saying how dare they not be a hardcore fan. ok they are fan based off of liking one video. but they didn't do it based off of being a fan. they did it based off of just entering it to enter it.

You guys are all assuming that these two aren't fans at all.

i only started assuming that when they deleted my youtube comment about it... :fisch: if their motif to enter was because they like mika and not because they just want to get famous themselves, i don't have a problem with it. :wink2: well, but we might never know the truth for sure. :dunno:

That's what happened to these guys:

they're a YouTube phenomenon now, have their own merchandise and everything (I looked on their official YouTube site but for some reason they don't have this video on there, which is nuts, cos it's what made them)

Guest whalesfood
That's what happened to these guys:

they're a YouTube phenomenon now, have their own merchandise and everything

exactly! that's ridiculous. :/

The way I read it, makes it look that they just happened to watch the video, saw the link for the comp at the end, and thought they'd have a go. They don't sound to me like they've even been on MS before. I think they aren't fans per se, just a couple of guys who saw the comp, and because they make their own videos regularly, thought they'd go for it.

Totally unfair to fans who do go to MS and here regularly, who imo deserve the prize more.

The good thing is though, that if they are getting thousands of hits on YT, it's promotion for Mika too! They may really like him as well.

As good promo as it may be, it was a competition for fans, to get an M&G, and to win magic number points. If they aren't real fans who contributed to MS , those points could have gone to a fan who does.

A fan competition is for fans, not for any Tom, Dick or Harry wanting to build a name for themselves.

You know, there are all kinds of fans out there, some sing, some paint, some make amazing costumes and some obviously make films.

I don't think we can assume they aren't fans, as that word does not only include DIE-HARD UBER-FANS who hang out here on MFC or on MS all the time.

And the newspaper article is in the Strabane Chronicle not the New York Times...you know, if these guys have started out small, and then got recognised for what is actually a great video (and one of the vids I tipped to win:wink2:) it is not like they won $5000 or anything... and sure they get a bit of recognition, but so do the other video winners, who might be able to use their videos on their resume when they want to become filmmakers in the future...WHO KNOWS???

And as long as they didn't break any rules, then it really isn't anything to get our knickers in a knot over

IMHO:biggrin2:

Archived