KICK-ASS - Lyrics Discussion

I am so LOVING this SONG!!!!

When he screams "Better"----oh. my. I just am a puddle. It makes me think we've only scratched the surface of Mika wonderfulness.

I'd love to hear him sing a little harder a little more often. Not all the time because I wouldn't be able to function then.

can't stop listening to this song!!!!!

WELL DONE MIKA!:wub2:

Agreed! I believe this wonderful man has so much to offer and he's gonna get even BETTER!!!

He's really so versatile!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My english it´s not so good but i believe he says this:

We could rule the world - I could rule the world

On a silver platter

From the wrong to the right light

To an open stream - To the open stream

No bridge to burn

Nowhere to turn For me - I can´t hear the word nowhere. It sounds something like: no inner turn For me. Does it have any sense?.

every time i read different lyrics it confuses me and now in my head i totally messed up the song, i always thought it was "we are free" but now im singing "we arent free" and yup :boxed:

lol ill keep checking this thread to make sure im updated :D

We are young

We are strong

We're not looking for where we belong

We're not cool

We are free

And we're running with blood on our knees

We could rule the world

On a silver platter

From the wrong to the right light

To an open stream

With a crash and burn

We could make it better

Turn it upside down

Just you and me

We are the dream

No other way

To be

I love this whole part ^^ But I always hear :

'We are the dream,

Don't walk away,

From me'

:dunno: Now I hear what you wrote, but I prefer 'Don't walk away from me'

:huh: It sounds more Mika-ish that way :huh:

Haha i keep seing the advert and psoters for Kick Ass around my town lol and everytime i see it i sing Mika's song

I LOVE THAT SONGG!!! lol

i cant stop signign it

aww and the way he says "Better" int he verse is sooo sexy lol :naughty:

xoxoxo

Yeah same here! It's the glued up kind that they just plaster en-mass in random alleyways.

They had them in NYC too, so Kick-Ass is all over! :thumb_yello:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I gotta agree with whoever it was who mentioned it upstream:

I hear "whip it at your feet", not rip.

I'm not sure what's being ripped or whipped, but I believe I've heard the phrase "whip it at your feet" used before. Hmm... in context...

This is what I hear from that section:

I could change the world

I could make it better

kick it up and down

take a chance at me

when you fake a smile

and you think you're better

gonna put it down

whip it at your feet

I guess the question I need to ask is who "you" is; if "you" is the addressee of the song - you know, the person Mika is indirectly addressing with his "we're not cool; we are free" bit - maybe he's whipping the fake smile? Maybe he's whipping the world? He's intentionally tripping up the "you" with something.

So the other half of the question is what does "it" refer to? If "it" is the same object as in the bit before - here it's clear that it's the world - then the world (metaphorically - maybe verbally?) is being used to trip up someone who is faking... being cool?

This particular exchange of the song is what always gets me. Horribly fun to sing along with, but so confusing!

My favorite part is the bridge. :biggrin2: Possibly because of the music video, because he's SO PRETTY.

I also get a little bit confused with the lyrics to the first verse, because I'm never sure whether it's:

from the wrong to the red light

or

from the wrong to the right light

It sounds more like red than like right to me, personally... but then what's the significance of the open stream?

I've always thought of the lights as referring to traffic lights, but now I'm not so sure. Either:

(a) if it's RED, then I don't think it's traffic lights at all; rather, red lights are usually indicative of bad things (being caught red-handed, etc.), so he's running from the oppressive addressee of the song and the open stream is the safest place to run, or

(b) if it's RIGHT, then maybe it IS traffic lights, and from the wrong to the right light he begins to move again, in the right direction (the open stream).

I don't know. I listen to this song too much!

• 3 years later...

hi everybody

i am a new addition to the MFC. and Kick-ass is my favorite song.

so here goes my first proper post. :crossed:

here is what i think of it, but i would really love to know what you guys think of it and my reading.

he says we are young, strong but not cool. in all complexity of reverse psychology, declaring that you are not cool is a sure shot way to get people to know your weird quirks and label you as 'cool'. Irene Adler in 'Sherlock' says that geeky (the traditionally 'uncool') is the new "sexy". and by extension, therefore, the new cool.

then Mika sings about how we are not cool and still free. portraying an image of cliched coolness all your life requires a lifelong enslavement to a lot of things- from a certain brand of clothes to the type of books you read or the kind of food you eat.

not being cool also requires a dedication but to the opposite. not reading those books, not eating that type of food, it is a different kind of enslavement. being weird is a piece of work. Lucifer did the exact opposite of what God did, and eventually lost his element of surprise. Bella will stop surprising Edward all together in some future sequel because she did the exact opposite of what he expected her to do.

only a truly unpredictable person like Mika himself, or Alaska from John Greens' 'Looking for Alaska' can actually be free and cool, in the full sense of the words while not being cool in the cliched Hollywood sense.

Mika, i think, is talking about that person. the unpredictable person, who does not give a ****, who can kick serious ass. but they are few and far apart. Mika is one, that new singer Lorde could be another, other examples can only be

found in books.

Does this make any sense to you?

Please reply. i am really really excited, this is my first proper post. :excite::wait::wait:

:mikalove:

I think that in this song he's talking about identity. About personality. About differences and about tolerance. In a very special and deep way.

Being young does not mean being cool. Being cool does not mean being strong. Being free does not mean being safe (the blood on the knees).

There is not a "wrong light" or a "right light".

The point is to learn being ourselves. Respecting the others and trying to be respected. Without stopping of running, also with bloody knees. And this is NOT simple.

It is a real fight, an everyday fight, that you can win or lose.

In my opinion, this is the point, in this song. The personal identity. Where and how to find it. How to protect it and how to fight for it. I think it is a very very important theme for Mika, almost a matter of life or death. And he's probably right.

I 've discovered Mika with this song and i like it very much, it's one of my favourite. And the video, too. :teehee:

Edited by Marta.

• 2 weeks later...