Eurovision 2010

suzie

When I was a Child (long time ago) I loved the Eurovison Song Contest. Every country should sing his song in the own language, I think it´s more beautivul and interesting. But today it is only important to see a lot of skin, legs and big b**** :blush-anim-cl: and a bunch of crazy dancers.

I miss the old Song Contest :sad:

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much for opening this thread, Suzie!

Well, as some of you might remeber from the previous years, I absolutely LOVE the esc. :wub2: To me, it just belongs to my annually routine. Haven't missed any single one since 1998 (when Guildo Horn kinda spread the nut slice and raspberry love in Germany :teehee:)

To me this contest has really become some kind of tradition. I always try to follow the preliminary rounds in as many participating countries as possible.

Contrary to mellody I have to say that I really really DO like this year's German entry. Lena is definitely not the best singer ever - but she has her own little way of delivering a song - as well as her own version of English (which I find adorable tbh). And "Satellite" is a good song. Downloaded it the very night of the German finals - and I wasn't the only one. Up to now it has sold more than 300.000 times (in Germany).

I like the songs Lena chose for all the USFO (Unser Star für Oslo aka the German preliminary thingie for this year's Eurovision) shows. It was already when she did that amazing performance of Adele's "My same" on the very first show that experts were predicting that she will be the one to represent Germany in Oslo. I like her album, too - a great mix and I've been listening to it on my way to uni last week most of the time :thumb_yello:

Actually, I don't think she will end up first, but I think there is indeed a chance that we will finally be in the top 5 again...

I don't know if you have seen this yet. But this year's google publishes every day a forecast - which is based on the number of hits the various artists got on Google a day. Here's the current rating of all 39 countries:http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/eurovision/results.html

I know it doesn't have to mean anything yet, but combined with the ESC bettings, I suppose we can already see what countries are probably gonna be doing well, and what countries will probably be struggling with making it to the finals.

Me personally I like these songs (will follow the order of countries on the current google rating):

- Germany (well, I guess I already made my point pretty clear)

- Georgia (beautiful voice)

- Sweden (dito)

- France (yeah, I really like this funny song :aah:)

- Estonia (sounds a bit like Moby to me)

- Norway (ok, ok, it's a bit cheesy, but I like it)

- Armenia (one of my favourite entries!)

- Turkey (it's actually pretty good - yeah!)

- Danmark (lovely duet)

- Lithuania (ahm - yeah...a pretty cool song, and I really wanna see their glittery pants moment :mf_rosetinted:)

Then, a few songs are ok, but nothing more, not so many "really bad" songs, besides one maybe (the Netherlands :mf_rosetinted:)...

@tiibet: I think the Finnish entry is ok...But I miss Lordi :punk: But from this year's Finnish contestants I would have loved to see Eläkeläiset go to Oslo. Their song "Hulluna humpasta" is fun :roftl: In some weird moments I actually really enjoy listening to Finnish humppa music. (you don't have to comment on that lol)

I'm really looking forwards to the show on May 29th (and as well the two semi-finals on May 25th and May 27th) :groupwave:

Oh, and I LOVE Oslo. Hopefully there will be loads of lovely impressions in the spots before each performance!

I don't like it.
Aah, I love the big kitsch of eurovision :teehee:

yes, exactly :teehee:

To me it is not about liking the songs ( I do like 2-3 songs every year) but about evaluating and analysing them and having fun with predicting which one is going to win...:naughty:

Contrary to mellody I have to say that I really really DO like this year's German entry. Lena is definitely not the best singer ever - but she has her own little way of delivering a song - as well as her own version of English (which I find adorable tbh). And "Satellite" is a good song. Downloaded it the very night of the German finals - and I wasn't the only one. Up to now it has sold more than 300.000 times (in Germany).

yes, the German entry is really good this year and I really wonder how well it would do. The truth is that I don't like the way she sings it (she sounds like she had been listening to Kate Nash for the last 2 years of her life) but it is definitely different from the rest of the songs. Should this be a Western European contest only, I'd say she has a very good chance of winning it, but over half of the countries are Eastern European ones, and people voting there have a different taste. I wouldn't take the Google vote counting as any reliable opinion poll source because it is only developed countries people watch these videos on the net, in underdeveloped ones they simply watch the competition on tv and send a text message / pick up the phone and vote during the show.

What works against the founding nations (UK, FR, DE, ES and NL) is that they are granted a place in the final, so when viewers only see these performances first, they might already have picked their own favourites from the semi-finals.

Ever since Sebastien Tellier came second to last (before UK) in 2007 with what I thought was a really Eurovision friendly song, I don't dare to predict how 'western' type of songs would do. The 'folky' Eastern European ones are much easier to predict. A lot depends on the performance, too, and how it comes across on tv.

Anyway, yesterday I listed to all the entries ( :teehee: ) and I really liked the Estonian song but concluded that the likely winner is Serbia with strong competition from Russia or Finland, Azerbaijan and Denmark. This is not my personal taste (though I do like Goran Bregovic in general), only a prediction :wink2:

Let's see...

PS: I hold the right to change my opinion when I have heard these songs live:biggrin2:

Then, a few songs are ok, but nothing more, not so many "really bad" songs, besides one maybe (the Netherlands :mf_rosetinted:)...

Agreed!

The Esc in the early days stood for something: making a nice song, sung by an artist with a pretty voice. But nowadays it's mostly rubbish: especially the Dutch entrance.

OMG: "Shalalalie" :shocked::shocked::roftl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWGLfzJcVBc&feature=related The poor girl is only 17!

And our entrance from last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNEpnZ6ORbM

Please don't watch the vids just before you go to bed, you might get a nightmare! ;)

Thank you so much for opening this thread, Suzie!

Well, as some of you might remeber from the previous years, I absolutely LOVE the esc. To me, it just belongs to my annually routine. Haven't missed any single one since 1998 (when Guildo Horn kinda spread the nut slice and raspberry love in Germany :teehee:)

To me this contest has really become some kind of tradition. I always try to follow the preliminary rounds in as many participating countries as possible.

I like the songs Lena chose for all the USFO (Unser Star für Oslo aka the German preliminary thingie for this year's Eurovision) shows. It was already when she did that amazing performance of Adele's "My same" on the very first show that experts were predicting that she will be the one to represent Germany in Oslo. I like her album, too - a great mix and I've been listening to it on my way to uni last week most of the time :thumb_yello:

Actually, I don't think she will end up first, but I think there is indeed a chance that we will finally be in the top 5 again...

I don't know if you have seen this yet. But this year's google publishes every day a forecast - which is based on the number of hits the various artists got on Google a day. Here's the current rating of all 39 countries:http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/eurovision/results.html

I know it doesn't have to mean anything yet, but combined with the ESC bettings, I suppose we can already see what countries are probably gonna be doing well, and what countries will probably be struggling with making it to the finals.

Me personally I like these songs (will follow the order of countries on the current google rating):

- Germany (well, I guess I already made my point pretty clear)

- Georgia (beautiful voice)

- Sweden (dito)

- France (yeah, I really like this funny song :aah:)

- Estonia (sounds a bit like Moby to me)

- Norway (ok, ok, it's a bit cheesy, but I like it)

- Armenia (one of my favourite entries!)

- Turkey (it's actually pretty good - yeah!)

- Danmark (lovely duet)

- Lithuania (ahm - yeah...a pretty cool song, and I really wanna see their glittery pants moment )

Then, a few songs are ok, but nothing more, not so many "really bad" songs, besides one maybe (the Netherlands )...

@tiibet: I think the Finnish entry is ok...But I miss Lordi :punk: But from this year's Finnish contestants I would have loved to see Eläkeläiset go to Oslo. Their song "Hulluna humpasta" is fun In some weird moments I actually really enjoy listening to Finnish humppa music. (you don't have to comment on that lol)

I'm really looking forwards to the show on May 29th (and as well the two semi-finals on May 25th and May 27th)

Oh, and I LOVE Oslo. Hopefully there will be loads of lovely impressions in the spots before each performance!

Lovely post, thanks Mariposa! I think I'm catching a cold and I need something easy and funny to do so might listen to these Eurovision songs today :naughty:

But for some reason when I think about Oslo I can think only about Mika :aah::wub2:

To me it is not about liking the songs ( I do like 2-3 songs every year) but about evaluating and analysing them and having fun with predicting which one is going to win...

yes, the German entry is really good this year and I really wonder how well it would do. The truth is that I don't like the way she sings it (she sounds like she had been listening to Kate Nash for the last 2 years of her life) but it is definitely different from the rest of the songs. Should this be a Western European contest only, I'd say she has a very good chance of winning it, but over half of the countries are Eastern European ones, and people voting there have a different taste. I wouldn't take the Google vote counting as any reliable opinion poll source because it is only developed countries people watch these videos on the net, in underdeveloped ones they simply watch the competition on tv and send a text message / pick up the phone and vote during the show.

What works against the founding nations (UK, FR, DE, ES and NL) is that they are granted a place in the final, so when viewers only see these performances first, they might already have picked their own favourites from the semi-finals.

Ever since Sebastien Tellier came second to last (before UK) in 2007 with what I thought was a really Eurovision friendly song, I don't dare to predict how 'western' type of songs would do. The 'folky' Eastern European ones are much easier to predict. A lot depends on the performance, too, and how it comes across on tv.

Anyway, yesterday I listed to all the entries ( :teehee: ) and I really liked the Estonian song but concluded that the likely winner is Serbia with strong competition from Russia or Finland, Azerbaijan and Denmark. This is not my personal taste (though I do like Goran Bregovic in general), only a prediction

Let's see...

PS: I hold the right to change my opinion when I have heard these songs live

Exactly! I love analyzing the songs :naughty: And I love the atmosphere. But I just realized I'm going to a wedding 29th and going to see Rufus 25th so actually can't watch everything.

Suzie, I'm afraid the Finnish song will not have any success :biggrin2: It's a tradition. I know there was Lordi, but it was really very exceptional...

Keep it like that, it's horrible :naughty:

:lmfao: Okay! I will :thumb_yello:

To me it is not about liking the songs ( I do like 2-3 songs every year) but about evaluating and analysing them and having fun with predicting which one is going to win...:naughty:

Yes very true! + it's also something we actually still watch as a family over here, so that's nice too :teehee:

Hmmm, I think it's time to go check out some of the entries you guys mentioned :thumb_yello:

Anyway, yesterday I listed to all the entries ( :teehee: ) and I really liked the Estonian song but concluded that the likely winner is Serbia with strong competition from Russia or Finland, Azerbaijan and Denmark. This is not my personal taste (though I do like Goran Bregovic in general), only a prediction :wink2:

Let's see...

PS: I hold the right to change my opinion when I have heard these songs live:biggrin2:

I'm from Serbia and I'm glad you think this way, but, to be honest, I am not that sure. Actually, all of the people I know (here in Serbia) don't like this song. I don't like it either. If you heard Spanish version (dunno if exists English one) and you know Spanish it doesn't have any meaning! In Serbian also! It's just a bunch of words that rhyme but without any meaning... I guess it doesn't matter much, 'cos the tune is catchy and more or less it's THE thing for winning... And second, I guess it would be too expensive for Serbia to organize another Eurosong competition in such short period of time... As Bosnian contestant said, it would be better for us to be second. :)

I didn't hear any of the songs except for Serbia's, but I don't do it anyway, I'll hear them for the first time when competition starts :)

Good luck to all of countries ;)

Edit: Oh.My.Gosh. I just watched Milan's second rehearsal... I mean, look at his hairstyle, and he's wearing mascara!!! We're literally doomed :P

I'm from Serbia

hello, hello! i'm from serbia, too! :aah:

And second, I guess it would be too expensive for Serbia to organize another Eurosong competition in such short period of time... As Bosnian contestant said, it would be better for us to be second. :)

you got that right! our scholarships would be.......... i can't even imagine.

yes, they would rob us poor students, just to make eurovision. b.i.t.c.h.e.s. :mf_rosetinted:

Edit: Oh.My.Gosh. I just watched Milan's second rehearsal... I mean, look at his hairstyle, and he's wearing mascara!!! We're literally doomed :P

don't be so cruel :teehee:

i think he looks just fine, the thing i don't like are those dancers. awwww :blink:

I'm from Serbia and I'm glad you think this way, but, to be honest, I am not that sure. Actually, all of the people I know (here in Serbia) don't like this song. I don't like it either. ...

.. It's just a bunch of words that rhyme but without any meaning... I guess it doesn't matter much, 'cos the tune is catchy and more or less it's THE thing for winning...

:boxed: since when have Eurovision songs supposed to have a meaning???:naughty:

Let me introduce you to the Ukrainian entry from 2007 - he came 2nd..:teehee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9rJLtz64Hg

:biggrin2:

And second, I guess it would be too expensive for Serbia to organize another Eurosong competition in such short period of time... As Bosnian contestant said, it would be better for us to be second. :)
you got that right! our scholarships would be.......... i can't even imagine.

yes, they would rob us poor students, just to make eurovision. b.i.t.c.h.e.s. :mf_rosetinted:

:blink:

I don't know what kind of discussion is going on about this in some countries but organising a Eurovision festival should have nothing to do with raising tuition fees in higher education. They are neither connected nor should be on the same scale in terms of costs. Also, you should get money back from broadcasting fees and an event like that is supposed to generate tourism...

..but I :dunno:

I remember, however, that in the 90s Ireland apparently complained about having won 3 times in a row, which cost them a lot..

Hungary decided not to enter this year as it costs so much - but the truth is that it would have had to be paid by the state tv and they found other programmes to spend money on. I don't mind it that much as we never ever had any decent entries with the exception of our very first entry in the early 90s and the one in 2007 who was actually from Serbia..:teehee:

Other than those Hungarians just never got it right with the entries...complete lack of taste of those writing and selecting the songs in the national finals in Hungary.:naughty:

I think I vaguely remember some kind of scandal either about this guy (Milan) or the song itself winning the contest in Serbia... or am I mistaken? He just looked familiar to me when I first saw him 2 days ago...

Anyway, I think that song is a fine combination for Eurovision: folk (balkan) music turned into uptempo pop, with dancers in traditional costumes and a singer with a look you cannot forget.

That's all that is needed, I think.:biggrin2:

I'm looking forward to the ESC this year, since it is in my country :biggrin2:. I am not a big fan of our song though, but I think at least he's quite handsome. And that's good enough for me.

But I still think that Germany are going to win this year!

I like Greece... But I like that kind of music in general so yeah.

I don't like Serbia at all, Estonia is... I have no words. :teehee: The sad thing about that is, that I think the song is nice. But the performance ruins it! With the rehearsals he looked very very nervous and he moved in a very weird way :blink: Anyways, don't have a favorite yet :teehee:

I don't know what kind of discussion is going on about this in some countries but organising a Eurovision festival should have nothing to do with raising tuition fees in higher education. They are neither connected nor should be on the same scale in terms of costs.

You are totally right! But, nowdays our tuition fees [yes :aah:] are getting higher and higher. I just said that, because our country uses even the smallest reason to raise them! I was just being ironic, sarcastic, i don't know! I don't think they would really do that, I'm just saying that we don't need to win the first place, again. We were the first a few years ago, the second prize would be just fine this year :aah::roftl:

Other than those Hungarians just never got it right with the entries...complete lack of taste of those writing and selecting the songs in the national finals in Hungary.:naughty:

I know :aah:

I think I vaguely remember some kind of scandal either about this guy (Milan) or the song itself winning the contest in Serbia... or am I mistaken? He just looked familiar to me when I first saw him 2 days ago...

Mmmm, I'm not familiar with any scandal :shocked:

Or maybe it is because Milan won the show called "Zvezde Granda" It's similar to "Pop Idol", but it's with folk singers :aah:

And i heard some rummors, that the organisator of that show had something to do with Milan winning the contest "3 pa 1" or whatever it's called. There were 3 contestants who were competing for the prize - to represent Serbia on Eurosong, and Milan won. :aah:

I don't know :teehee:

Well, this is my longest post on this forum, hope my english isn't too bad :biggrin2:

Anyway, I think that song is a fine combination for Eurovision: folk (balkan) music turned into uptempo pop, with dancers in traditional costumes and a singer with a look you cannot forget.

I dunno... This year, as I recall :blush-anim-cl: there weren't any scandals... actually, some discussions existed... a lot of people call him gay ( I personally don't think that even if he is gay that would matter) and I guess a lot of them didn't aprove the fact that he is singer in Grand Production (big and most successful music studio and show in Serbia, which cooperates with the biggest turbo-folk stars, probably since '90s when turbo-folk originally showed up in Serbia) so maybe something related to that...

And I guess you're right, country which organizes Eurovision can earn a lot, but it also needs to invest even more.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter, Eurovision is music competition and we should be talking 'bout music :winksmiley02:

janchyzla, I mean come on :aah: look at his hairstyle pleeeease :wink2: I know, I know, it's popular even in Hollywood (Zac Efron) but Milan dyes his hair in golden blonde :roftl: I'm sorry, maybe I don't like this guy so much that I can't even see things as they are :biggrin2:

Lol! That one is a classic... :roftl:

I agree!

I actually liked it - my and my friend used it back then to motivate us before a hard studying night :aah:

But, yeah, Verka Serduchka is still touring...I've seen ads for a German tour not long ago actually...So, I guess his eurovision performance really helped him to get his "career" started :biggrin2:

<...>

Me personally I like these songs

- Lithuania (ahm - yeah...a pretty cool song, and I really wanna see their glittery pants moment :mf_rosetinted:)

That made me giggle :roftl::thumb_yello:

Actually I just hear our song, that's all. But those glitter pants are quite famous over here now :roftl: :roftl:

That made me giggle :roftl::thumb_yello:

Actually I just hear our song, that's all. But those glitter pants are quite famous over here now :roftl: :roftl:

I know :naughty:

Well, at least it's some kind of "action" on stage :aah:

Just found this 4-page-article on Lena, the German contestant, on abc...I think it pretty much sums her story up.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/teen-star-lena-eurovisions-winner/story?id=10728179&page=1

Ok, so since I don't wanna write a double post, I'm jsimply adding a few lines...

TONIGHT's the first eurovision semifinal

The best 10 out of 17 contestants will make it to the final on Saturday.

Here's the list of participants:

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/oslo2010/the-participants/semi-final1

I think I'll vote for Tom Dice, the Belgium song's my favourite from that list :)

Oh, and Alexander Rybak just posted this on his fb: looks like he's performing with Lena tonight (edit: they are performing together on the German show "tvtotal")

Alexander Rybak

Dear Belarus, I am SO SORRY that I cant come and see your semifinal tonight. You know that you are on my mind this evening. But I have a good reason why I cant come: I am going to play "Satelite" with the lovliest and coolest girl this side of ESC. ♥ Anyway, good luck everybody.

2 minutes ago ·

I dunno... This year, as I recall :blush-anim-cl: there weren't any scandals... actually, some discussions existed... a lot of people call him gay ( I personally don't think that even if he is gay that would matter) and I guess a lot of them didn't aprove the fact that he is singer in Grand Production (big and most successful music studio and show in Serbia, which cooperates with the biggest turbo-folk stars, probably since '90s when turbo-folk originally showed up in Serbia) so maybe something related to that...

Milan is not gay even though everyone in Serbia thinks so. It's quite irrelevant if he is or not, but definitely he isn't, you can check it out who's he been dating for some time. And he talked to the press quite openly about this issue. He's a very liberal young man in that way though.:mf_rosetinted:

yes, exactly :

To me it is not about liking the songs ( I do like 2-3 songs every year) but about evaluating and analysing them and having fun with predicting which one is going to win..

Exactly:naughty:

Anyway, yesterday I listed to all the entries and I really liked the Estonian song but concluded that the likely winner is Serbia with strong competition from Russia or Finland, Azerbaijan and Denmark. This is not my personal taste (though I do like Goran Bregovic in general), only a prediction :wink2:

Let's see...

I'm from Serbia and I'm glad you think this way, but, to be honest, I am not that sure. Actually, all of the people I know (here in Serbia) don't like this song. I don't like it either. If you heard Spanish version (dunno if exists English one) and you know Spanish it doesn't have any meaning! In Serbian also! It's just a bunch of words that rhyme but without any meaning... I guess it doesn't matter much, 'cos the tune is catchy and more or less it's THE thing for winning... And second, I guess it would be too expensive for Serbia to organize another Eurosong competition in such short period of time... As Bosnian contestant said, it would be better for us to be second. :)

I didn't hear any of the songs except for Serbia's, but I don't do it anyway, I'll hear them for the first time when competition starts :)

Good luck to all of countries ;)

:blink:

I don't know what kind of discussion is going on about this in some countries but organising a Eurovision festival should have nothing to do with raising tuition fees in higher education. They are neither connected nor should be on the same scale in terms of costs. Also, you should get money back from broadcasting fees and an event like that is supposed to generate tourism...

..but I :dunno:

I remember, however, that in the 90s Ireland apparently complained about having won 3 times in a row, which cost them a lot..

Hungary decided not to enter this year as it costs so much - but the truth is that it would have had to be paid by the state tv and they found other programmes to spend money on. I don't mind it that much as we never ever had any decent entries with the exception of our very first entry in the early 90s and the one in 2007 who was actually from Serbia..:teehee:

Suzie, I agree with you iin general. I've never liked Goran Bregović "stealing style" with the exception with his band "White Button" (Bijelo dugme) from 70tees. Milan Stankovic is a type of an androginuos guy who can sing and can dance and that's all, even though he made a very good and professional song/video "FaceBook" which is different from this folk mixture.

:thumb_yello:

Haha, Mariposa, I was about to do the same...:teehee:

..as I put together a list of the contestants and songs for the 1st semi-final - I think it is the order they will be performing it:

01 Moldova Sunstroke Project & Olia Tira Run Away

02 Russia Peter Nalitch & Friends Lost And Forgotten

03 Estonia Malcolm Lincoln Siren

04 Slovakia Kristina Pelakova Horehronie

05 Finland Kuunkuiskaajat Työlki Ellää

06 Latvia Aisha What For?

07 Serbia Milan Stanković Ovo Je Balkan

08 Bosnia & Herzegovina Vukašin Brajić Thunder And Lightning

09 Poland Marcin Mroziński Legenda

10 Belgium Tom Dice Me And My Guitar

11 Malta Thea Garrett My Dream

12 Albania Juliana Pasha It's All About You

13 Greece Giorgos Alkaios & Friends OPA

14 Portugal Filipa Azevedo Há Dias Assim

15 F.Y.R. Macedonia Gjoko Taneski Jas Ja Imam Silata

16 Belarus 3+2 Butterflies

17 Iceland Hera Björk Je Ne Sais Quoi

If I remember it correctly, there will be no order, they will simply name the 10 contestants who have made it to the final ...

Haha, Mariposa, I was about to do the same...:teehee:

..as I put together a list of the contestants and songs for the 1st semi-final - I think it is the order they will be performing it:

01 Moldova Sunstroke Project & Olia Tira Run Away

02 Russia Peter Nalitch & Friends Lost And Forgotten

03 Estonia Malcolm Lincoln Siren

04 Slovakia Kristina Pelakova Horehronie

05 Finland Kuunkuiskaajat Työlki Ellää

06 Latvia Aisha What For?

07 Serbia Milan Stanković Ovo Je Balkan

08 Bosnia & Herzegovina Vukašin Brajić Thunder And Lightning

09 Poland Marcin Mroziński Legenda

10 Belgium Tom Dice Me And My Guitar

11 Malta Thea Garrett My Dream

12 Albania Juliana Pasha It's All About You

13 Greece Giorgos Alkaios & Friends OPA

14 Portugal Filipa Azevedo Há Dias Assim

15 F.Y.R. Macedonia Gjoko Taneski Jas Ja Imam Silata

16 Belarus 3+2 Butterflies

17 Iceland Hera Björk Je Ne Sais Quoi

If I remember it correctly, there will be no order, they will simply name the 10 contestants who have made it to the final ...

Thank you, Suzie.

Yes, that's correct. They will name the 10 countries which made it to the final in no particular order.

If anyone's interested, it's broadcasted live on the eurovision site

http://www.eurovision.tv/esctv from 9pm CET on (that means we only have to wait 52 more minutes :biggrin2:)

am watching! :thumb_yello:

I must say I like the belgian song this year :D

but actually I'm obliged to like the song 'cause Tom's a customer of the office where I do my work placement :mf_rosetinted::roftl: *uninteresting fact*

Archived