Not everything needs a thread

Artistically, my son has no skills at all :aah: he can´t draw, or paint, or sing... he doesn´t like music at all... he just loves taekwondo or any other martial art... (yes, even it´s the word "art" on it, it has nothing to do with art :aah:) and I dont want to encourage him to be fighting all the time with everybody... each time his dad comes from work, he´s always eager to fight with him (in a martial way, of course) but it is not good to earn a living, if you understand what I mean...

I also assume there are different grades in dyslexia and thinking about the face his teacher did when she saw all the numbers my son wrote, I feel as if it was worse than usually.

I don´t think my son is more clever than any other kid, in fact... well... he is normal, or even less intelligent than the rest. He still can´t talk properly... The only thing his teacher was happy with, it was because when he reads, no matter how time he needs to read a word, he knows exactly what it means... I mean... when kids are little, they can read WED-NES-DAY but when they end it, they can´t remember what they read. He can do that, he remembers, but for the rest of his skills... nothing.

I can´t find help yet, cause it´s not contemplated here to help boys with dyslexia till they are 7, so there´s nothing to do now, and I really see he´s going to lose his mates rythm....

Anyway, thank you every one for your support... :huglove:

IMO he's too young, he'll develop his skills later on :wink2:

difficulties with numbers is called Dyscalculia: it usually goes hand in hand with dyslexia

Try not to be too anxious Rosa, it doesn't help you or him, let him feel you love him, despite his problems, that's very important

From what you say (talking, remembering), it looks like dyslexia, but once again look for an association and parents with dyslexic children :original:

:huglove:

IMO he's too young, he'll develop his skills later on :wink2:

difficulties with numbers is called Dyscalculia: it usually goes hand in hand with dyslexia

Try not to be too anxious Rosa, it doesn't help you or him, let him feel you love him, despite his problems, that's very important

From what you say (talking, remembering), it looks like dyslexia, but once again look for an association and parents with dyslexic children :original:

Dyscalculia!!! :aah: is if with dyslexia we hadn´t enough :aah:

I love him, no matter how many problems he has or he will have, love is not a problem :thumb_yello: I think I´m gonna wait to see how it goes next year, and will call for help in case he can´t go on with his mates....

@sienna OH MY GOD!!! HE LOVED THAT GAME!!!!! I have stickers all over my house though :mf_rosetinted:

:aah::aah:

Rosita, my son also has learning problems, he even failed his second grade this year...:(

It's not dyslexia though, they call it attention deficit...

The doctors want him to take some drugs, which i doubt i'll be giving him next year, as i found out it can bring kidney problems...They told me about another medicine that has no side effects so maybe we'll try that next year...It's given to children with dyslexia too, it makes them concentrate better...

So, don't worry much, there are lots of cases of children with dyslexia and it's been quite controlled nowadays...

Dyscalculia!!! :aah: is if with dyslexia we hadn´t enough :aah:

I love him, no matter how many problems he has or he will have, love is not a problem :thumb_yello: I think I´m gonna wait to see how it goes next year, and will call for help in case he can´t go on with his mates....

@sienna OH MY GOD!!! HE LOVED THAT GAME!!!!! I have stickers all over my house though :mf_rosetinted:

In the meantime I'd consider Sienna's advice: they're golden to me :wink2:

Wow I cannot believe these Spanish schools. That is so nuts.

I know they are pushing children harder and harder in Canada too and I don't understand why. I learned to read and write starting at age 6 and by the time you are 8 you become more or less self-taught...you can just go off on your own and start reading more and more advanced material without a lot of instruction from others. I scored in the top 3% in N. America in a university entrance test of English skills so I don't think a 2-year "delay" that early in life has any impact whatsoever. Once your brain is developed enough, you acquire the ability to read and write so quickly it just doesn't matter IMO.

Anyway Rosa try not to worry too much. I think Sienna's game approach is the best. Make it fun for him. If he doesn't have learning disabilities he will learn to write properly soon enough. If he does have learning disabilities then whatever approach they are teaching 4 year olds in school is not going to be entirely effective for him and you are just stressing yourself and your son out by pushing him to learn in the same way and at the same rate the other kids are.

I hope everything works out :huglove:

thank you very much to all of you...

I´ll try not to worry, and I know he´ll have plenty of time to learn... I´m just worried cause I don´t want him to start his primary school having problems which will lead him to fail...

anyway, there´s nothing I can do, so..... :dunno:

I´ll try not to worry, and I know he´ll have plenty of time to learn... I´m just worried cause I don´t want him to start his primary school having problems which will lead him to fail...

he's smart, healthy, happy... :huglove:

and my therapy to this all: :huglove:

i don't really know what to say, but this, i've got a friend that 's dyslexic too, when she writes me a letter for example i have to read it several times before i know what she means.

but she didn't have trouble in school cause she had good friends and people helping her if needed

so i think and hope that your son will be ok :huglove:

I know what you mean. But we are living such an artificial existence, forcing kids into school, etc. Sometimes I think conditions like ADHD are only "problems" because kids are stuck in classrooms 6 or 7 hours a day for 14 years instead of being active and learning hands-on like nature intended. They are just exacerbating the problem by trying to strap them down at the age of 4 instead of 6 or 7. It's just totally unnecessary even in the context of our modern society.

Don't you think is too early for him? Maybe let him go, don't push at him for some time. If you won't give him a negative experience about reading (if he cries - it is very bad!), in a while he himself will want to learn.

My daughter reads from her 5-6 years, and now she is avid reader.

I think your son is not ready. It is really strange that in your country kids have to read so early. In USSR kids officially started to learn reading in 6-7 years, but my country was considered one of the most reading in the world.

This is a bit off topic but it's really good that kids aren't expected to read earlier than that because here we were taught to write when we are 3yrs old (Not paragraphs or anything, just 3-4 letter words ;we never really "played" in play-school )I remember there was one child who had to repeat that year because she didn't learn that well and her parents made her feel even worse even though she was only 3 or 4 years old :sad:

I know what you mean. But we are living such an artificial existence, forcing kids into school, etc. Sometimes I think conditions like ADHD are only "problems" because kids are stuck in classrooms 6 or 7 hours a day for 14 years instead of being active and learning hands-on like nature intended. They are just exacerbating the problem by trying to strap them down at the age of 4 instead of 6 or 7. It's just totally unnecessary even in the context of our modern society.

education system has changed a lot here last years. It has nothing to do with what I did when kid. Now each "grade" has its teachers, and they only do what they need to do. So if a kid arrives in primary school, and he can´t read, he is sat at the back of the class so he doesn´t bother the rest who can read and are going to learn things by reading... and they can´t "repeat" year as we did.... they keep on "going up" to next degree even if they are not ready... that´s what scares me. When I was a kid if you weren´t good enough, you could stay same class for 3 years till you learned what you needed. Now things have changed... they want kids to read at the age of 4...

well... let´s see what happens... I know he is not silly... he learned to count in korean while he was at his taekwondo classes only by listening a kid counting a couple of times. I asked this morning and he still remembers that. On the other hand, he had forgotten how letters like "B" or "D" sound... :dunno:

Rosa I know you said you don't want him to be a fighter but there's a lot more to martial arts than that. It will teach him concentration, discipline, etc. and if he's struggling in school it will help him to feel he is good at something and his self-worth is not just based on being able to excel at academics. I think that is the message from Mika regarding the classical training as a way of overcoming his difficulties at school.

Rosa I know you said you don't want him to be a fighter but there's a lot more to martial arts than that. It will teach him concentration, discipline, etc. and if he's struggling in school it will help him to feel he is good at something and his self-worth is not just based on being able to excel at academics. I think that is the message from Mika regarding the classical training as a way of overcoming his difficulties at school.

And this way he can always kick some kid's who'll make fun of him ass ...:mf_rosetinted:

I'm so happy to hear that!:thumb_yello:

And if he likes it that proves that he has at least a little interest and maturity to actually learn letters and words! I bet he will read and write before you know it!:wink2:

You are so right about that! :thumb_yello:We have the same problem in Sweden. Instead of taking a good look at the learning system we blame the kids to not measure up! It's just crazy.

I have a question, what do you do when there are serial bomb blasts in your city and you're worried if someone close to you is still alive ?

http://in.news.yahoo.com/live-coverage--three-blast-in-mumbai.html

cry?? I can´t deal with things like that... In my country when a disastre occurs, autorities use to make lists of disappeared people and then they change the status from "disappeared" into "found alive" or "dead"....

yeah, maybe in Korea it´s like that :aah: here the teacher is Spanish and he just teaches the "right" way to kick others´ arses :mf_rosetinted: it has nothing to do with Kung-Fu which in my opinion is the best martial art ever...

But now that I think of son´s skills, I´m glad he doesn´t like to sing... I´m not ready to sew him odd jackets or a giant toy boy :mf_rosetinted:

And this way he can always kick some kid's who'll make fun of him ass ...:mf_rosetinted:

fair enough :mf_rosetinted:

Rosa, I heard of many successful and famous people, who had learning disabilities/ADHD as children

Roy Martina -a Dutch/American world known holistic doctor- is an example and martial arts did help him a lot to become the person he is today.

Or Ben Carson: they made a great movie out of his life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gifted_Hands:_The_Ben_Carson_Story

There's also a lovely film about a dyslexyc child, that helps understand a lot about their 'world'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taare_Zameen_Par

Edited by mari62

Rosa, I heard of many successful and famous people, who had learning disabilities/ADHD as children

Roy Martina -a world known holistic doctor- is an example and martial arts did help him a lot to become the person he is today.

There's also a lovely film about a dyslexyc child, that helps understand a lot about their 'world'

AW!!! Thank you very much!!!!! :huglove:

List of famous people diagnosed with dyslexia :thumb_yello:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_diagnosed_with_dyslexia

Cher!!!

Da Vinci!!!

John Lennon!!

:shocked:

oh, yes, and Mika... :aah:

thank you very much. I was told that Bill Gates was also dyslexic...

Well, this doesn´t assure a great future for my son, but still, I guess I can calm down... :aah:

Cher!!!

Da Vinci!!!

John Lennon!!

:shocked:

oh, yes, and Mika... :aah

thank you very much. I was told that Bill Gates was also dyslexic...

Well, this doesn´t assure a great future for my son, but still, I guess I can calm down... :aah:

Mika's missing in da list :D

yes, relax :wink2:

if he keeps on having learning disabilities, teachers and experts will help you deal with them :thumb_yello:

yeah, maybe in Korea it´s like that :aah: here the teacher is Spanish and he just teaches the "right" way to kick others´ arses :mf_rosetinted: it has nothing to do with Kung-Fu which in my opinion is the best martial art ever...

But now that I think of son´s skills, I´m glad he doesn´t like to sing... I´m not ready to sew him odd jackets or a giant toy boy :mf_rosetinted:

fair enough :mf_rosetinted:

:roftl::roftl::roftl: Edited by mari62

Roy Martina -a Dutch/American world known holistic doctor- is an example and martial arts did help him a lot to become the person he is today.

Roy Martina is considered a fraud and a quack by a great part of the Dutch people. I don't know who's story is true ofcourse, but he has a nasty shadow hanging around him.

Just to inform you guys.

Roy Martina is considered a fraud and a quack by a great part of the Dutch people. I don't know who's story is true ofcourse, but he has a nasty shadow hanging around him.

Just to inform you guys.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info

do they say something specific, I mean do they have proof of what they say, or are they just rumors?

I've never met him, I hope I will, but I've read some of his books, watched his seminars on DVD and been in touch with someone's working with him:

according to my experience he's a special person and has been helping me a lot :dunno:

Edited by mari62