Not everything needs a thread

I didn't know that, thanks for the info

do they say something specific, I mean do they have proof of what they say, or are they just rumors?

I've never met him, I hope I will, but I've read some of his books, watched his seminars on DVD and been in touch with someone's working with him:

according to my experience he's a special person and has been helping me a lot :dunno:

There are people who are pro and people who are anti. The one group is very firm about their 'believes' but so is the other group. I really cannot say if there is specific proof.

If he, or his method, is helping you that is ofcourse the main thing!

Mika's missing in da list :D

yes, relax :wink2:

if he keeps on having learning disabilities, teachers and experts will help you deal with them :thumb_yello:

:roftl::roftl::roftl:

mika's on that list :teehee::teehee::teehee:

Just noticed they are in alphabetical order, although the first names are written before the family names

I must need some sleep :aah:

:loco::loco:

have a good rest sweetie :huglove:

ok. Mika is dyslexic, and we have heard many times that it increase his artistic skills. I thought it was funny and stuff, but now I´ve been told that my son might be dyslexic and I don´t find it funny anymore. Poor kid can´t write a single number right, and he is slooooooooow at reading... Each time I need to make him read, he starts to cry (he´s still 4 years old) and starts to say nonsenses... it´s hard... I don´t want him to be artistic (no need to say, that even he loves to play keyboards since he was 2 yo, the poor kid has no musical instinct at all :aah:), but seriously, this is hard to see how you are trying to make him read a very simple word, and he can only recognise the vocals.... :tears:

:huglove:

I know everyone else has offered information/suggestions to help, but I thought I would too (everything I say won't completely help, but some of it might help).

I was wondering, what sort of books are you getting him to read? Does the school give books to kids to read at home, or are they books that you've bought for him? If you don't already, maybe try reading something that interests him? If he likes playing computer games then maybe look at buying a game that involves reading words (I remember one particular game where the game said a letter and you had to click on the written version of it).

Actually, my mum did a really good thing with my niece when she was younger. Mum would write out a shopping list for when we bought groceries. When we were atthe supermarket, Brittany would cross off the groceries as we put things in the trolley.

Even making up some flashcards might work.... I remember a teacher I worked with uses a program called Jolly Phonics to teach letters and sounds, and she also had a set with single letters and letter combinations (like 'sh' or 'th')... She would show the kids a card and they would have to say the sound that each letter (or letter combination) made. Each single letter/letter combination had an action the kids did, and it helped them remember the sound as well as the letters (for example, the action that went with the letter T was turning your head from side to side, as if you were watching a tennis game). If you wanted to learn more about it, here's the website: http://jollylearning.co.uk/overview-about-jolly-phonics/... Maybe you could make up some cards with each letter of the alphabet on them...

There is no way to decide whether a child is dyslectic or not in the age of four!:sneaky2:

All kids write the numbers and letters "the wrong way" like it was written in a mirror, right?

That is a phase of the brains development!

It's hard for me to explain exactly what I mean in English but I'll give it a try.

I'm a preschool teacher in my basic education, and I have seen thousands of children through the years, they all write letters that way, it is absolutely nothing to worry about!!!:thumb_yello:

It scares me that a person who call herself a teacher doesn't have more knowledge of the natural development of a child.

I'm sure he will both write and count numbers properly when his brain is ready for that, you wouldn't force a child to walk before it was able to do it on it's own would you?

What you can do while waiting for your little one to grow is to see too that he has as fun as possible, don't force him to write. Encourage him to draw and paint and talk about colours and shapes.

Let him use scissors and glue, clay and water. Papers in all colours of course.

Talk and listen to him as much as you can and read him all kinds of books!

Encourage him to play with a ball and run around a lot, and make him laugh every day!

Don't forget to tell him that he is the most fantastic little boy in the whole world!:thumb_yello:

In my country we don't expect children to be ready to read until they are around 6-7 years old, we do a lot of other stuff in the pre schools to make them ready!

An other thing you can do to encourage reading is to write notes all over the house which tells what all things looks like when written. Over the sink you put a note SINK and at the door DOOR and so on WINDOW, CHAIR etc, you get it!

It's fun and you can do it together and if the school is asking you can tell them you are doing tons of reading-training at home. That will shut them up!:teehee:

Good luck, and please not worry!:wub2:

I was about to say, a lot of kids write numbers and letters around the wrong way... I've seen them do it even when they've been at school for over a year...

I was also about to suggest labelling things in the house, but you already did...

education system has changed a lot here last years. It has nothing to do with what I did when kid. Now each "grade" has its teachers, and they only do what they need to do. So if a kid arrives in primary school, and he can´t read, he is sat at the back of the class so he doesn´t bother the rest who can read and are going to learn things by reading... and they can´t "repeat" year as we did.... they keep on "going up" to next degree even if they are not ready... that´s what scares me. When I was a kid if you weren´t good enough, you could stay same class for 3 years till you learned what you needed. Now things have changed... they want kids to read at the age of 4...

Wow..... I doubt I could only teach like that, I'm too used to having to teach a few different year groups in the one class. Actually, there are schools in the west of NSW where there's only one teacher and they might have to teach kids from kindergarten through to year 6 in the one classroom. Considering the distance between some towns, it works easier that way.

In New South Wales, the curriculum is set so that a child has essentially 2 years to cover all of the outcomes. For example, a year three student is in stage 2, so they have from the start of year 3 up until the end of year 4 to meet all of the outcomes for each subject. I think it works fairly well.

:huglove:

I know everyone else has offered information/suggestions to help, but I thought I would too (everything I say won't completely help, but some of it might help).

I was wondering, what sort of books are you getting him to read? Does the school give books to kids to read at home, or are they books that you've bought for him? If you don't already, maybe try reading something that interests him? If he likes playing computer games then maybe look at buying a game that involves reading words (I remember one particular game where the game said a letter and you had to click on the written version of it).

Actually, my mum did a really good thing with my niece when she was younger. Mum would write out a shopping list for when we bought groceries. When we were atthe supermarket, Brittany would cross off the groceries as we put things in the trolley.

Even making up some flashcards might work.... I remember a teacher I worked with uses a program called Jolly Phonics to teach letters and sounds, and she also had a set with single letters and letter combinations (like 'sh' or 'th')... She would show the kids a card and they would have to say the sound that each letter (or letter combination) made. Each single letter/letter combination had an action the kids did, and it helped them remember the sound as well as the letters (for example, the action that went with the letter T was turning your head from side to side, as if you were watching a tennis game). If you wanted to learn more about it, here's the website: http://jollylearning.co.uk/overview-about-jolly-phonics/... Maybe you could make up some cards with each letter of the alphabet on them...

I was about to say, a lot of kids write numbers and letters around the wrong way... I've seen them do it even when they've been at school for over a year...

I was also about to suggest labelling things in the house, but you already did...

Wow..... I doubt I could only teach like that, I'm too used to having to teach a few different year groups in the one class. Actually, there are schools in the west of NSW where there's only one teacher and they might have to teach kids from kindergarten through to year 6 in the one classroom. Considering the distance between some towns, it works easier that way.

In New South Wales, the curriculum is set so that a child has essentially 2 years to cover all of the outcomes. For example, a year three student is in stage 2, so they have from the start of year 3 up until the end of year 4 to meet all of the outcomes for each subject. I think it works fairly well.

Boy still doesn´t read books. I mean, he´s 4, and in his school, they are not using books. They work with sheets the teacher gives them. First sheet: vocals. Then she added first "s" then "m" then "r". So that you can have an idea, a sheet looks like this:

S

SA SE SI SO SU

SAE SASO SISA SOSA

SOPA SOLA SILLA OSO

PASO SANA RASO

They still don´t read phrases (thank God), and there´s still groups of letters he still hasn´t studied (like LL or TR, BL,BR and stuff). But what worried me most was that he really forgot many of the sounds and was unable to pronounce what he DID pronounce two days before... but as I said before, he learnt how to count in Korean (only by listening a kid doing it a couple of times) and he still remembers it. He surprised the whole taekwondo class when he started to count... I think I read somewhere that Mika needed someone to read him things and he learnt it that way. This was the reason I was scared. Son learnt how to pronounce numbers in Korean only listening to it, but now he can´t remember how to read words that he´s been reading for the f*cking whole year!!:sneaky2:

About the list of the groceries, it´s a good idea too!!!! I´m a bad mom, I never had figured out these things by myself :teehee: Thank you very much!!

Boy still doesn´t read books. I mean, he´s 4, and in his school, they are not using books. They work with sheets the teacher gives them. First sheet: vocals. Then she added first "s" then "m" then "r". So that you can have an idea, a sheet looks like this:

S

SA SE SI SO SU

SAE SASO SISA SOSA

SOPA SOLA SILLA OSO

PASO SANA RASO

They still don´t read phrases (thank God), and there´s still groups of letters he still hasn´t studied (like LL or TR, BL,BR and stuff). But what worried me most was that he really forgot many of the sounds and was unable to pronounce what he DID pronounce two days before... but as I said before, he learnt how to count in Korean (only by listening a kid doing it a couple of times) and he still remembers it. He surprised the whole taekwondo class when he started to count... I think I read somewhere that Mika needed someone to read him things and he learnt it that way. This was the reason I was scared. Son learnt how to pronounce numbers in Korean only listening to it, but now he can´t remember how to read words that he´s been reading for the f*cking whole year!!:sneaky2:

About the list of the groceries, it´s a good idea too!!!! I´m a bad mom, I never had figured out these things by myself :teehee: Thank you very much!!

Hmmmmmm..... Could be that he's bored with how they're teaching him and therefore doesn't listen as well, which would explain why he seemed to pick up counting in Korean fairly quickly...

You're not a bad mum! Only reason I know some of this stuff is cause we did it with my niece to try and get her to focus on doing particular things (she's autistic and sometimes getting het to focus on doing stuff is hard)...

Honestly, if you work with him and try to help him keep up with the rest of the class then that's good...

S

SA SE SI SO SU

SAE SASO SISA SOSA

SOPA SOLA SILLA OSO

PASO SANA RASO

My kids did that... when they were in grade 1 and 6 y.o. It,s OK to be alert but do give your boy some time. He's just 4! I saw the pic you put with the number and frankly, it looked like something my boys were doing at 4 and they just completed grade 3 with very good grades:wink2:

that's very odd :sad:

and sad..... cause there´s people from all over the world who would die to be in my place....

Are you sure? Maybe are you mental sick?:mf_rosetinted::aah:

and you also saw him last week!:aah:

you mean if I´m sure I´m not mental?? yeah, I´m sure I´m not mental :aah:

and sad..... cause there´s people from all over the world who would die to be in my place....

Do you wanna switch?:teehee: i can go to the gig instead of you!:teehee:

i hope you'll get excited soon though, i've seen him this summer and i would also die to be in your place:blush-anim-cl:

Do you wanna switch?:teehee: i can go to the gig instead of you!:teehee:

ok. I have two tickets, 80€.

i hope you'll get excited soon though, i've seen him this summer and i would also die to be in your place:blush-anim-cl:

yeah, I hope so...