Out of tune?

Douleur

It might be my ears playing tricks on me, but I feel that... MIKA has been getting a little out of tune/off-pitch/out of key recently. I've watched some videos of him performing, and this jumped out at me:

In the beginning, he's quite flat, and it's only at about 1:40 that he gets it right. Even afterwards you can hear it a little...

Feel free to stone me to death. *crosses arms in front of face*

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It might be my ears playing tricks on me, but I feel that... MIKA has been getting a little out of tune/off-pitch/out of key recently. I've watched some videos of him performing, and this jumped out at me:

In the beginning, he's quite flat, and it's only at about 1:40 that he gets it right. Even afterwards you can hear it a little...

Mmmmm... interesting...

Don´t know, maybe you´re right...

I'm just saying...

Mika's almost always slightly out of tune when he's playing live.

He's usually in tune when he's sitting down, or standing still and singing a ballad (but he almost never does that :naughty: However jumping and rushing around, and generally putting on a show, takes it out of you, so of course you're going to be slightly off.

It is this way for almost every singer when they're playing live - unless of course, if they are lip-synching or using a live microphone that can correct the voice. I admire Mika for going it raw.

However, you're right about Elle Me Dit sounding quite flat. I think this is because the verses are quite flat. It's a pop tune that uses digital techniques quite heavily, and as a result the verses are almost monotone. Listen to the recorded version, and although it's been touched up in autotune, the verses are very monotone and don't really hold a tune. This works fine in the recorded version, but you notice it more when it's sung live.

Try singing Elle Me Dit yourself, you'll quite quickly notice that it's very monotone.

Despite this, I still love the song :fangurl:

He's usually in tune when he's sitting down, or standing still and singing a ballad (but he almost never does that :naughty: However jumping and rushing around, and generally putting on a show, takes it out of you, so of course you're going to be slightly off.

It is this way for almost every singer when they're playing live - unless of course, if they are lip-synching or using a live microphone that can correct the voice. I admire Mika for going it raw.

However, you're right about Elle Me Dit sounding quite flat. I think this is because the verses are quite flat. It's a pop tune that uses digital techniques quite heavily, and as a result the verses are almost monotone. Listen to the recorded version, and although it's been touched up in autotune, the verses are very monotone and don't really hold a tune. This works fine in the recorded version, but you notice it more when it's sung live.

Try singing Elle Me Dit yourself, you'll quite quickly notice that it's very monotone.

Sometimes, i don´t like Elle me dit, but sometimes i think elle me dit is the best, don´t know why... yes, in the deep, we love elle me dit, but, i miss something, don´t know what is...

I mostly hear out-of-tune things when he sings EMD at Mary-Antoinette shows, when he shouts at the beginning Elle me Dit Danse several times communicating with audience.

But that time that you are telling about - it was the second time he was singing the song, so it is totally understandable.

He sometimes has a problem starting songs at the right pitch - that's nothing new. I would have assumed he'd learn to overcome this with some practice though.

There are particular songs that are difficult to start and at acoustic shows I put it down to nervousness if he fails to begin these in tune. At normal shows he might not hear the backing track or himself properly. You can always tell when he realises he is out of tune though: he immediately puts his hand to his in-ear monitor. :roftl:

I mostly hear out-of-tune things when he sings EMD at Mary-Antoinette shows, when he shouts at the beginning Elle me Dit Danse several times communicating with audience.

But that time that you are telling about - it was the second time he was singing the song, so it is totally understandable.

You mostly hear it at the MA shows because he was doing mainly these shows this summer. I think there are actually some were more horrendous examples when he sang BIOTW.:teehee:

I must say, I think it was Compiegne, that even though it was the first time I'd heard it, certain bits of BIOTW seemed a bit flat. I guess it was highlighted more, as Ida was holding the tune, and Mika dropped the ball a little, so you could hear it more.

I'm sure over time, singing it more, he'll iron that out. But during the summer shows it was quite obvious.

GOSH you're absolutely rite! well yea i heard him out of tunes, but you got a point in here....you're rite.....anyway it's new for him to sing EMD in that vid.....so yeah no problem Meeks!!! WE STILL LOVE YOUR VOICE:mf_lustslow:

He sings live for real :thumb_yello:

Try and the same will happen to you :lmfao::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

And of course bouncing and jumping around doesn't help , so unless you play the CD, there's no way you will hear it :teehee:

We should all record ourselves singing Elle me dit, that would be something really interesting :wink2: I already tried myself actually and it was lots of fun :woot_jump:

He sings live for real :thumb_yello:

Try and the same will happen to you :lmfao::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

And of course bouncing and jumping around doesn't help , so unless you play the CD, there's no way you will hear it :teehee:

We should all record ourselves singing Elle me dit, that would be something really intersting :wink2: I already tried myself actually and it was lots of fun :woot_jump:

He wasn't bouncing around singing BIOTW, at Compiegne.

Agreed, it could have been nerves, as it was the first time he'd sung it, but he did sing flat at least once.

I kind of felt bad for him when he did it.

He wasn't bouncing around singing BIOTW, at Compiegne.

Agreed, it could have been nerves, as it was the first time he'd sung it, but he did sing flat at least once.

I kind of felt bad for him when he did it.

Well first times are not always perfect, right :teehee:

Our boy is shy :blush-anim-cl:

I hope he isn't having too much trouble with his ears though , as it happened before and he mentioned it then as being a problem on stage during his LICM tour (afterwards in a newspaper article) :aah:

Sure but I'm crazyaboutmika, so I can't have a non biaised opinion about him, I can't :roftl:

:roftl: yes, I know..... My opinion is biased, too. :teehee:

I only mean that you can't really compare this to fans trying to sing while jumping up and down.. Besides, no-one is forcing him to jump up and down if he gets so out of breath he can't sing properly :naughty: (It is not the case most of the time, though, he can totally handle it)

My mama always said "practice makes perfect" :teehee::blush-anim-cl:

yes. Sometimes I wish he still had that Russian music teacher only to keep him a bit more disciplined about preparing for his shows and guide him how he can overcome certain difficulties in songs...etc. :teehee:

I don't know why this seems to happen at mid range when he can belt out HE and LT with no problem. I really don't like the live version of WAG for the same reason. It sounds flat to me.

BIOTW is another serious case of this and I don't think practice is going to save it. Please Mika just let this one go. :aah:

:naughty: permanently honeymooning?[/quote

]

I can't help it :blush-anim-cl: He makes me so happy :fangurl:

:roftl: yes, I know..... My opinion is biased, too. :teehee:

I only mean that you can't really compare this to fans trying to sing while jumping up and down.. Besides, no-one is forcing him to jump up and down if he gets so out of breath he can't sing properly :naughty: (It is not the case most of the time, though, he can totally handle it)

I was only kidding :naughty: but that would be really funny :roftl::teehee:

yes. Sometimes I wish he still had that Russian music teacher only to keep him a bit more disciplined about preparing for his shows and guide him how he can overcome certain difficulties in songs...etc. :teehee:

Yeah, yeah, I know... he was sick, sore throat, maybe fever and stuff, but this is his WORST performance ever...IMO

[YOUTUBE]rhbzZB4go7E[/YOUTUBE]

I do remember him saying that he was sick during this performance.

Wasn't that right 2 days after Vancouver gig?

I am not a fan of the song he sang with Beth Ditto :blush-anim-cl:

I do hear his voice not being at his best, but i think he did ok considering.

The one that I remember the most was BG at PDP. I think it was a case of nerves, mixed with running too much back & forth on that huge stage.

The rest of the concert was fine though :wub2:

I think sometimes artists need to take a step back, forget about all the oopla & remember that their voice, their music are what got them there in the first place.

Archived