Out of tune?

Douleur

The one that I remember the most was BG at PDP. I think it was a case of nerves, mixed with running too much back & forth on that huge stage.

The rest of the concert was fine though :wub2:

PDP must have been really difficult because the stage was HUGE and he was running a lot. It can't be easy to run that much and sing at the same time, through the whole concert.

His voice is always so extremely lovely when he is forced to a small stage and he can't run :naughty: and when he is concentrating on singing it's just beyond words :wub2:

I love live performances because they are always different so I don't mind if it's not always "perfect" (most times I think it's perfect in any case :blush-anim-cl: ). In Compiegne I was surprised how nervous he was, it was easy to hear (he hadn't rehearsed much and they had many technical problems too).

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, yeah, I know... he was sick, sore throat, maybe fever and stuff, but this is his WORST performance ever...IMO

Probably the worst performance of Grace Kelly ever. The saddest thing is that the whole of UK was watching and other countries are likely to have bought the BA for broadcasting, too. So I can totally understand people who find his singing irritating - even those who otherwise wouldn't mind the silly outfits. If for millions of people that was the first time they had heard him live, I doubt that those with ears would agree on his unquestionable talent.

Yes, fans (or more likely, forum readers only) understand that he was sick, clearly had problems with his voice but when you get a chance of being broadcast live to 50million+ people you might want to make sure you have a proper rest / preparation time beforehand. And when you know that you have a problem with your voice the last thing you worry about is Beth Ditto's outfit to match yours but try to arrange the music in a lower key and / or sing certain parts an octave lower...etc. All it takes is some musical creativity.

That was early in his career though and I think he has done much better in recent years in saving his voice for key performances. However, the musical preparation part is still missing at times.

Probably the worst performance of Grace Kelly ever. The saddest thing is that the whole of UK was watching and other countries are likely to have bought the BA for broadcasting, too. So I can totally understand people who find his singing irritating - even those who otherwise wouldn't mind the silly outfits. If for millions of people that was the first time they had heard him live, I doubt that those with ears would agree on his unquestionable talent.

Yes, fans (or more likely, forum readers only) understand that he was sick, clearly had problems with his voice but when you get a chance of being broadcast live to 50million+ people you might want to make sure you have a proper rest / preparation time beforehand. And when you know that you have a problem with your voice the last thing you worry about is Beth Ditto's outfit to match yours but try to arrange the music in a lower key and / or sing certain parts an octave lower...etc. All it takes is some musical creativity.

That was early in his career though and I think he has done much better in recent years in saving his voice for key performances. However, the musical preparation part is still missing at times.

Yes... I remember people saying "but the poor thing was sick!! he was brave, he didn´t cancel!!" Well, as you said, he could had changed many things... I seriously feel ashamed when I see this performance. What a great opportunity missed *sigh*. Anyway, I hope he will work in a good promotion this time, with this album... I really want him to learn from his fails...

I do remember him saying that he was sick during this performance.

Wasn't that right 2 days after Vancouver gig?

I am not a fan of the song he sang with Beth Ditto :blush-anim-cl:

I do hear his voice not being at his best, but i think he did ok considering.

The one that I remember the most was BG at PDP. I think it was a case of nerves, mixed with running too much back & forth on that huge stage.

The rest of the concert was fine though :wub2:

I think sometimes artists need to take a step back, forget about all the oopla & remember that their voice, their music are what got them there in the first place.

But again, not hardcores who were watching that, didn´t know he was sick... And as suzie said, it´s normal they hated Mika since then :aah: seriously, the first time I saw that performance I almost died :roftl:

Hmm I still think Mika sounds 10x better than Beth Ditto :naughty: If I recall he told the whole world he was sick at the Brits.

Well, about Beth, I still don´t know what people like from her :dunno:

I saw this performance first time in Youtube, so I didn´t know he said he was sick. But in this case, then, I expect people were benevolent with him :aah:

There are some truly better-forgotten performances out there...the downside of Youtube, they are kept up there for posterity!!

It takes some serious devotion to be able to listen to those performances and not cringe.

All professional singers have their off days, and technical glitches etc. It's just embarrassing for everyone:aah:

But I do agree that Mika needs to focus on preparing his music and his voice for the gigs, especially gigs broadcast to millions.... and focus less on the props and the "show" aspect....if his voice isn't up to scratch, then no fancy set is going to overcome that. I remember reading Brain May's account of what goes through his mind when he is playing live on stage - is his guitar in tune, is the weather affecting it, the words of the songs, his voice, what the others in the band are doing, etc etc. So I am sure that when Mika is running the show, as the boss, there is so much he is thinking about at the same time as performing. Add into that the chatting in foreign languages, the piano playing, the music direction and coordination, and then the crazy costumes and sets. Things get stuck, fall off, come undone, go missing.....

Mika, if you perform your music to the best of your ability, then the rest is just icing. But putting heaps of icing on the cake doesn't cover up the fact the cake hasn't been cooked well.:mf_rosetinted:

well, you can't possibly communicate everything to everyone - especially excuses. Ultimately, most people judge based on performances. So unless there is a running headline during the broadcast (that will later be seen on YT as well) that this performer is sick, please take note of that, the damage is done.

Having said that, I need to emphasize again that I do think he is gifted and has a great voice but he does need to work on the live singing element. I believe that confidence and good musical solutions come with practice but I don't consider festivals or small gigs a place for practicing because it is simply not respective of the audience. You practice 2-3 weeks before a new show and not the day before.

I think because Mika has almost completely been forgotten in the UK and some other geographies, it would be relatively easy to establish a completely new sound and image for him if he chooses to do so. In any case, I hope he will place music in the center of his live performances as that would be key in both gaining (back) audiences and convincing opinion leaders (e.g. music press, media, radio programmers..etc)

well actually i think that brits show was okay......only a few errors on the first reff, but the rest....hmmm i think it was perfectly fine:wink2:....but i dunno if my hearing got a problem hahaha

Well let's be realistic. Who is watching Mika for the first time via this YouTube performance? I've got a million+ views on my Mika videos and the comments and ratings are overwhelmingly favourable because they are watched by smitten Mika fans. Maybe the occasional Beth Ditto fan comes across it but he is still better than her by any measure.

As Blue Sky says you win some you lose some. I've heard some godawful vocals from Katy Perry on awards shows too even though she can sing a lovely ballad in a club. I'm sure every artist would love to have a night like Adele did at the Brits but it's not always possible.

Mika's own shows on the other hand I agree that he needs to bring it for his paying audience to the best of his ability. "He didn't have time to practice" is a ridiculous excuse. His last tour ended 10 months before Compiegne. He says he's been working on new songs since January. If Elle Me Dit was rushed to radio a week before and the songs were not rehearsed, etc. who is responsible for that? :blink: It's not some uncontrollable act of the gods, it's leaving the music to the last minute.

I agree that this is the worst performance of Grace Kelly ever. I try to avoid to listen to this performance, so I choose to not open the link to it in this thread :naughty:

But did he actually worry about the outfits like you write in this post? :blink: Maybe I have just missed something.

But did he actually worry about the outfits like you write in this post? :blink: Maybe I have just missed something.

All I remember about interviews from the time is that

a, he'd been s****ing bricks due to nervousness about the whole performace

b, Beth Ditto's dress was made by Mika's mum and either of them was really excited about it. I can't even remember if it was Mika or Beth :roftl:

.. and I also remember being excited for him to win some awards. I was watching it live on the internet :fangurl:

All I remember about interviews from the time is that

a, he'd been s****ing bricks due to nervousness about the whole performace

b, Beth Ditto's dress was made by Mika's mum and either of them was really excited about it. I can't even remember if it was Mika or Beth :roftl:

.. and I also remember being excited for him to win some awards. I was watching it live on the internet :fangurl:

omg :roftl:

Mika's own shows on the other hand I agree that he needs to bring it for his paying audience to the best of his ability. "He didn't have time to practice" is a ridiculous excuse. His last tour ended 10 months before Compiegne. He says he's been working on new songs since January. If Elle Me Dit was rushed to radio a week before and the songs were not rehearsed, etc. who is responsible for that? :blink: It's not some uncontrollable act of the gods, it's leaving the music to the last minute.

I'm sure he knows it. I'm sure he is not pleased with himself when he can realize that he has not rehearsed enough. He is smart and ambitious. There was time but things happen. Maybe he was distracted by working with his other songs or by some totally personal things.

i'm clueless about pitch & tuning & all that but i've always thought some bits of some live versions of BIOTG sound... off, especially when he sings "BLAAAAME it on the GIIIIIIRLS, BLAAAAME it on the BOOOOOYS".

regarding BIOTW- Mika's parts are not what I have a problem withjust not usually a fan of Ida's voice

I'm sure he knows it. I'm sure he is not pleased with himself when he can realize that he has not rehearsed enough. He is smart and ambitious. There was time but things happen. Maybe he was distracted by working with his other songs or by some totally personal things.

Yes, that's what I'm saying, he seems to be distracted from the music in his shows by other things. IMO when you are charging people to listen to you sing that should be your top priority. :dunno:

I think sometimes artists need to take a step back, forget about all the oopla & remember that their voice, their music are what got them there in the first place.

Totally agree, Guy. You hit the nail on the head.

PDP must have been really difficult because the stage was HUGE and he was running a lot. It can't be easy to run that much and sing at the same time, through the whole concert.

His voice is always so extremely lovely when he is forced to a small stage and he can't run :naughty: and when he is concentrating on singing it's just beyond words :wub2:

I love live performances because they are always different so I don't mind if it's not always "perfect" (most times I think it's perfect in any case :blush-anim-cl: ). In Compiegne I was surprised how nervous he was, it was easy to hear (he hadn't rehearsed much and they had many technical problems too).

Yes, you're right,his voice is amazing when he prepares adequately and doesn't move too much, so should he not try and do that instead of sacrifice the quality of his singing just 'for the show'?

There are some truly better-forgotten performan

ces out there...the downside of Youtube, they are kept up there for posterity!!

It takes some serious devotion to be able to listen to those performances and not cringe.

All professional singers have their off days, and technical glitches etc. It's just embarrassing for everyone:aah:

But I do agree that Mika needs to focus on preparing his music and his voice for the gigs, especially gigs broadcast to millions.... and focus less on the props and the "show" aspect....if his voice isn't up to scratch, then no fancy set is going to overcome that. I remember reading Brain May's account of what goes through his mind when he is playing live on stage - is his guitar in tune, is the weather affecting it, the words of the songs, his voice, what the others in the band are doing, etc etc. So I am sure that when Mika is running the show, as the boss, there is so much he is thinking about at the same time as performing. Add into that the chatting in foreign languages, the piano playing, the music direction and coordination, and then the crazy costumes and sets. Things get stuck, fall off, come undone, go missing.....

Mika, if you perform your music to the best of your ability, then the rest is just icing. But putting heaps of icing on the cake doesn't cover up the fact the cake hasn't been cooked well.:mf_rosetinted:

Couldn't have put it better!

The thing is, this is supposed to be his job and livelihood. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, and I do of course understand that unforeseen things happen sometimes, but I don't think he is doing all that he could do to avoid a lot of these.

If I failed to do certain things at work, I'd get sacked or in trouble. He should really abide by the same standards.

If I failed to do certain things at work, I'd get sacked or in trouble. He should really abide by the same standards.

I really wish I had some Mika fans at my office telling everyone that I should be able to do what I want and to not be too hard on me because I didn't have time to do critical parts of my job and that as long as I'm happy my employer should be happy too. If only we all had it so easy with the people who pay us for our services. :roftl:

Unfortunately for Mika there is at least one person in his life telling him to get his ass to number 1. :teehee:

well actually i think that brits show was okay......only a few errors on the first reff, but the rest....hmmm i think it was perfectly fine:wink2:....but i dunno if my hearing got a problem hahaha

If you seriously think that performance was fine, then yes, you have a hearing problem :mf_rosetinted:

I really wish I had some Mika fans at my office telling everyone that I should be able to do what I want and to not be too hard on me because I didn't have time to do critical parts of my job and that as long as I'm happy my employer should be happy too. If only we all had it so easy with the people who pay us for our services. :roftl:

Unfortunately for Mika there is at least one person in his life telling him to get his ass to number 1. :teehee:

+1:mf_rosetinted:

The thing is, this is supposed to be his job and livelihood. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, and I do of course understand that unforeseen things happen sometimes, but I don't think he is doing all that he could do to avoid a lot of these.

You are absolutely right, Sara. Of course you are right. It's just that I feel huge sympathy for him, because I know how it feels to be easily distracted, feel a bit difficult to focus or sometimes leave things to the last minute. That's why I avoid deadlines and situations with strict orders myself as much as possible (though I know I can face them if really needed).

I don't know if he has those same difficulties, but we have seen him performing unprepared several times, he has done some songs in a rush, he seems to be easily distracted when he gets new ideas and he has told himself (in interviews) how he needs very tight routines while he is recording etc. Luckily he is a brilliant talent :mf_lustslow: and that makes him a pop star and a winner (instead of a loser like most other people with the same problems :roftl: )

I genuinely think his shows and performances are always worth money spent and much more, but as I said in the other thread I won't complain if he decides to concentrate more on his singing and less on the other show elements.

Yeah, yeah, I know... he was sick, sore throat, maybe fever and stuff, but this is his WORST performance ever...IMO

[YOUTUBE]rhbzZB4go7E[/YOUTUBE]

This was the exact performance I thought of when I read this thread's title. :teehee:

Archived