Out of tune?

Douleur

I was trying to find a post but I can't.. someone mention then he needs to practice more...

Maybe... but if allow me to do an analogy with sports, you can practice for HOURS and it would be perfect and then comes your big day and for some reason, it doesn,t work. That doesn,t mean the person is lazy, just that it was not his/her day. And yes, you should always learn from your mistakes/failures.

And I'M sure you all heard of the expression "A bad day at the job":mf_rosetinted:

Saying that, I would be perfectly happy if he would do a show with just music

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was trying to find a post but I can't.. someone mention then he needs to practice more...

Maybe... but if allow me to do an analogy with sports, you can practice for HOURS and it would be perfect and then comes your big day and for some reason, it doesn,t work.

I agree with you totally when it comes to a performance like the Brit awards. But I brought up the practicing in the context of someone not remembering their songs on a regular basis. Tiibet's husband expected that Mika could play any of his songs on request, which is not an unrealistic expectation given that this was Mika's plan. He did not practice for the gig. He went in and took requests but he struggled with some songs and declined to play others completely.

Being an artist is different from being a clerk or a firefighter. Being his mum is different from being his fan.

Quoting him in Internight (Spanish radio interview - Oct. 2009): "If you try to please, you never please anyone".

Being an artist is different from being a clerk or a firefighter. Being his mum is different from being his fan.

Quoting him in Internight (Spanish radio interview - Oct. 2009): "If you try to please, you never please anyone".

Being a musician might be work as any other work until some point? Even really talented musicians are under their records deals and other contracts. But personally I agree with you. Artists should have more freedom. That's why I want him to do what he likes and I just watch, listen and enjoy. And it looks he likes to do many things, not only sing but also create shows, do cover art etc.

Of course I'm also aware that music needs a lot of practicing (I mean, even those brilliants talents must practice?), it must be a fact and I'm sure he thinks that that way too. So maybe he just has some difficulties to stay focused/find suitable time? His festival tour this summer was right in the middle of his album making process. I guess it wasn't so easy to find time for rehearsing. I'm extremely happy he still performed his new songs, I really wanted to hear them :mf_lustslow: I'm sure the situation will be different after he has finished his album and he will be better prepared too.

Artists should have more freedom. That's why I want him to do what he likes and I just watch, listen and enjoy.

Absolutely.

I'll expand on the quote (it was about Songs For Sorrow, though): "I wanted to do something that would get me back to that place where I was writing songs for me, and not for anybody else, because really, that's the healthiest place to write music from".

If there happens to be people who don't like the final result, well that's life.

I'll expand on the quote (it was about Songs For Sorrow, though): "I wanted to do something that would get me back to that place where I was writing songs for me, and not for anybody else, because really, that's the healthiest place to write music from".

If there happens to be people who don't like the final result, well that's life.

We're not discussing his songs. We're discussing the performances. Are you saying that singing flat or forgetting his songs is part of his artistic freedom and his paying audience shouldn't expect anything better?

And yes being a fan is not like being a mother, which is why I can't relate to this unconditional love of anything and everything as long as it's associated with Mika. We're just regular adults who had fully formed tastes and opinions before we even knew who Mika was.

And yes being a fan is not like being a mother, which is why I can't relate to this unconditional love of anything and everything as long as it's associated with Mika. We're just regular adults who had fully formed tastes and opinions before we even knew who Mika was.

Actually, I must say that I had never ever heard a voice I love that much before I discovered Mika. I did listen to music a bit when I was younger, but I had never heard any artist who's voice and style I love as much as his. So I'm not paying for any average performance with some standards, I'm paying for his performance. It's a bit different every time and that's how I like it. I could easily live watching only small acoustic shows (I love them most), but he does many different kinds of shows and to tell the truth I have always enjoyed every single one. As we discussed in the other thread, there is some special energy in his bigger shows, it can be really mind-blowing :mf_lustslow: On the other hand, preparing those bigger shows with theatrical elements means he has less time for rehearsing his songs.

I have a positive opinion about him. So if he is unprepared I rather think he didn't have enough time to rehearse/he was distracted than think him as a lazy bastard who has no respect for his audience (that's just an example, no one said that :teehee: ). We know that he has a lot of respect for his audience. We can see he feels really bad if he is forced to cancel his shows and we can also see he does a lot for his fans (let them be on stage with him, meets them etc). And I think as an artist he needs to have time to do and see things that inspire him (whatever it is) and I seriously think it will pay off in the future. As I said earlier he is smart and ambitious, he can surely see when he is not well enough prepared and I don't think he is pleased with himself those times.

You must all be really excited about he new album too?? :roftl:

I have a positive opinion about him. So if he is unprepared I rather think he didn't have enough time to rehearse/he was distracted than think him as a lazy bastard who has no respect for his audience (that's just an example, no one said that :teehee: ).

Surely that's a matter of where your priorities lie?

Actually, I must say that I had never ever heard a voice I love that much before I discovered Mika. I did listen to music a bit when I was younger, but I had never heard any artist who's voice and style I love as much as his. So I'm not paying for any average performance with some standards, I'm paying for his performance. It's a bit different every time and that's how I like it.

Same for me.

I have a positive opinion about him. So if he is unprepared I rather think he didn't have enough time to rehearse/he was distracted than think him as a lazy bastard who has no respect for his audience (that's just an example, no one said that :teehee: ). We know that he has a lot of respect for his audience. We can see he feels really bad if he is forced to cancel his shows and we can also see he does a lot for his fans (let them be on stage with him, meets them etc). And I think as an artist he needs to have time to do and see things that inspire him (whatever it is) and I seriously think it will pay off in the future. As I said earlier he is smart and ambitious, he can surely see when he is not well enough prepared and I don't think he is pleased with himself those times.

:bow:

I just hope you don't mind me agreeing with you... :teehee:

Surely that's a matter of where your priorities lie?

I don't think it's that simple. That's what I tried to explain earlier. Sometimes it's just so difficult to stay focused and not get distracted :aah: I'm not sure if he has any of these problems, but the way he tells how he needs strict routines refers to that. I don't know :dunno:

I just hope you don't mind me agreeing with you... :teehee:

I just say how I see things... I don't know what is the truth, I'm glad if someone agrees with me :biggrin2:

So I'm not paying for any average performance with some standards, I'm paying for his performance.

I don't want to pay for ANY average performance. Artists are charging upwards of $75-$150 (at least in North America) for live shows now and I expect at that rate that the performance is going to be exceptional. I don't care if it's Britney Spears, Madonna, Mika, Rufus Wainwright, Josh Groban, whoever. I expect them to bring it when they are charging hundreds of thousands and sometimes even millions of dollars per show.

So if he is unprepared I rather think he didn't have enough time to rehearse/he was distracted than think him as a lazy bastard who has no respect for his audience (that's just an example, no one said that :teehee: ).

I also think that's exactly the reason why he is unprepared. I don't think he's lazy. That's not what anyone is saying. :dunno:

You must all be really excited about he new album too?? :roftl:

Yes I am. I have no idea what to expect and I like surprises so it should be very interesting.

I don't think it's that simple. That's what I tried to explain earlier. Sometimes it's just so difficult to stay focused and not get distracted :aah: I'm not sure if he has any of these problems, but the way he tells how he needs strict routines refers to that. I don't know :dunno:

Well if it is important enough, surely you would build in some strict routines and/or people to help you enforce them?

Are you saying that singing flat or forgetting his songs is part of his artistic freedom and his paying audience shouldn't expect anything better?

No, I'm saying his paying audience has got two options: keep on buying tickets and CDs to see/hear him if they think it's worth it, or :bye:

I don't want to pay for ANY average performance. Artists are charging upwards of $75-$150 (at least in North America) for live shows now and I expect at that rate that the performance is going to be exceptional. I don't care if it's Britney Spears, Madonna, Mika, Rufus Wainwright, Josh Groban, whoever. I expect them to bring it when they are charging hundreds of thousands and sometimes even millions of dollars per show.

Maybe average was a wrong word in English? I don't know what to use instead of it.

Btw, can I use this opportunity and tell once again how disappointed I was to see Madonna in Finland? Sorry it's off topic. It was the worst concert I've ever seen and I paid 100 euros for my ticket. I was standing near the gates during the last hour of the concert (eating :teehee:) and I watched people going out. SO many disappointed people :blink: I have never been disappointed after a Mika concert. I have seen Rufus only once but he was brilliant! I would love to see more of his concerts but I think Mika is much more interesting and my money and time resources are limited.

Maybe average was a wrong word in English? I don't know what to use instead of it.

Btw, can I use this opportunity and tell once again how disappointed I was to see Madonna in Finland? Sorry it's off topic. It was the worst concert I've ever seen and I paid 100 euros for my ticket. I was standing near the gates during the last hour of the concert (eating :teehee:) and I watched people going out. SO many disappointed people :blink: I have never been disappointed after a Mika concert. I have seen Rufus only once but he was brilliant! I would love to see more of his concerts but I think Mika is much more interesting and my money and time resources are limited.

:shocked: what was wrong with Madonna's concert?

No, I'm saying his paying audience has got two options: keep on buying tickets and CDs to see/hear him if they think it's worth it, or :bye:

Well then we are in perfect agreement. That's why I didn't spend $1400 to fly to Europe for these last shows.

But I still live in hope. :wink2:

Btw, can I use this opportunity and tell once again how disappointed I was to see Madonna in Finland? Sorry it's off topic. It was the worst concert I've ever seen and I paid 100 euros for my ticket. I was standing near the gates during the last hour of the concert (eating :teehee:) and I watched people going out. SO many disappointed people :blink:

I wouldn't pay $10 to see Madonna because that is exactly what people can expect from her. She is 10% music and 90% show. And as you know I am not interested in the show. That's why it freaks me out to see Mika and his perfect shoes and his perfect clothes and his perfect hair and his perfect set, forgetting his lyrics and singing off pitch.

Well if it is important enough, surely you would build in some strict routines and/or people to help you enforce them?

Maybe that is the reason he likes touring so much? People give him schedules and tell him where to go and what to do. During recording seasons he has to make those routines himself. It must be more difficult now when he is working with many people and in so many different cities. And again, I truly think he is amazingly intelligent and his mind must work in a seriously complicated way. At the same time, he can have difficulties with focusing/working schedules etc.

I really don't know what is the truth, I'm purely guessing. I just rather think he might have difficulties with focusing/not getting distracted than that he doesn't appreciate his audience.

I wouldn't pay $10 to see Madonna because that is exactly what people can expect from her. She is 10% music and 90% show. And as you know I am not interested in the show. That's why it freaks me out to see Mika and his perfect shoes and his perfect clothes and his perfect hair and his perfect set, forgetting his lyrics and singing off pitch.

But her show wasn't even good, it was just bad and she didn't sing any of her good songs :aah:

About Mika. I don't care about his shoes (I would rather see him barefoot) but I think he is paying a lot of attention to his music even he likes to create colorful shows. So I'm not worried, I just look forward to his new music.

But her show wasn't even good, it was just bad and she didn't sing any of his good songs :aah:

Well that doesn't surprise me either :lmfao:

I have found that the price of a ticket is usually inversely proportionate to the performance you are going to get (i.e. cheap ticket, great show; expensive ticket, crap show). The only exceptions I've found are Josh Groban and Michael Buble. They have expensive arena shows but their vocals are amazing and they are very very interactive with the audience, taking questions, going out into the audience to meet people and sing, etc.

My first Mika show was $15. Enough said. :naughty:

Well then we are in perfect agreement. That's why I didn't spend $1400 to fly to Europe for these last shows.

Did you know it was not going to be worth it (it was worth it for me) before hand?

Well that doesn't surprise me either :lmfao:

I have found that the price of a ticket is usually inversely proportionate to the performance you are going to get (i.e. cheap ticket, great show; expensive ticket, crap show). The only exceptions I've found are Josh Groban and Michael Buble. They have expensive arena shows but their vocals are amazing and they are very very interactive with the audience, taking questions, going out into the audience to meet people and sing, etc.

My first Mika show was $15. Enough said. :naughty:

That is so true! I have seen some amazing small concerts in Finland 10 euros/ticket. I haven't seen many famous international artists. The ones I'm interested in don't usually even come to my country and I rather save my money for Mika concerts. But I was surprised how much I liked some bands I saw at festivals this summer.

I truly think he is amazingly intelligent and his mind must work in a seriously complicated way.

Do you really? I don't dispute he's intelligent, but he did have the benefit of a good education at one of the UK's top schools.

I don't think he's that different to many people once that is taken into account.

:shocked: what was wrong with Madonna's concert?

It was a nightmare... It was organized on a flat field for 80 000 people, just pure greediness :aah: I queued a few hours, I had a relatively good spot but I couldn't see even any screen. She didn't sing ANY of her well-known songs. I lost hubby in the crowd and I just left and went to buy something to eat and later I found hubby, he came to buy some food too :roftl: And we ate and watched people leaving (in the middle of concert) and we left too. Very expensive french fries :teehee:

Did you know it was not going to be worth it (it was worth it for me) before hand?

There is no way to know for certain but I made a calculated bet. I am gambling every time I make a decision on whether to go so far for a concert. I've been pretty lucky so far and don't have a lot of regrets.

But I was surprised how much I liked some bands I saw at festivals this summer.

That's why I go to quite a lot of gigs even though I am only a "fan" of a few artists. Music is almost always better live (for me).

Archived