Mika Filming Music Video for “Celebrate” on the Lower East Side

dcdeb

exactly! my first thought on the video was : WHAT? no colorful clothes in a Mika vid? he always used to do that and now, when otther artists are trying to look groovy and ful of glitter, he's going to be normal (in apearance) and the i realize i think that's what makes this music video unique :wink2:

I'm actually glad he's got this new image. Those popstars who "don't grow up" end up looking, and sounding rediculous.

Mika is so wise. He knows that, at 29 years old, he has to update his image and his music. No more teenage dreams in a teenage circus, instead of that, he presents mature love songs and a grown-up image.

All male pop stars have to face the transition, from boys to men, eventually. Even Bieber will eventually. It's how they handle the transition which determines whether they last, stop being popstars and become icons. I think Mika is deffinately doing it right.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually glad he's got this new image. Those popstars who "don't grow up" end up looking, and sounding rediculous.

Mika is so wise. He knows that, at 29 years old, he has to update his image and his music. No more teenage dreams in a teenage circus, instead of that, he presents mature love songs and a grown-up image.

All male pop stars have to face the transition, from boys to men, eventually. Even Bieber will eventually. It's how they handle the transition which determines whether they last, stop being popstars and become icons. I think Mika is deffinately doing it right.

Exactly :thumb_yello: the new image .. hair, clothes is so cool :wub2:

I forgot to add earlier that Mika's colourful image was so new in 2007 that it actually started a trend of popstars creating a very strong visual image for themselves again like they did in the eighties - something Mika was never given credit for but I do believe it was him who started what Katy Perry and Lady Gaga perfected a year or two later.

I forgot to add earlier that Mika's colourful image was so new in 2007 that it actually started a trend of popstars creating a very strong visual image for themselves again like they did in the eighties - something Mika was never given credit for but I do believe it was him who started what Katy Perry and Lady Gaga perfected a year or two later.

yes a flamboyant and eccentric image :thumb_yello:

I always liked, as I like the current image, in fact he's amazing anyway :naughty::wub2:

:thumb_yello: i'm sure that this will be the first of a lot of changes that Mika'll have in the next 234234 years :thumb_yello: Pop stars last only if they are able to make transitions :mikacool:

Exactly :thumb_yello: the new image .. hair, clothes is so cool :wub2:

his everything :mikalove:

That's so true! Everyone copied Mika, but Mika was always accused of not being original.

It's strange though. I could never imagine liking his look, if he ever got rid of the curls and the flamboyant-type of clothes and jewellery. Yet now, when I look back at those pics from way-back-when, I find I much prefer how he looks now.

I think it's basically because, at the start he was a boy. He was thin and lanky and the curly haired, flamboyant look, suited him. But now, thought he's still slim, he has lost that awkwardness he used to have. His stance is different and he's more graceful than before and he doesn't look quite so thin.

Is it me, or has he darkened his hair? At any rate, a lot of people are going to be very surprised now, because Geeky Mika has become such a hot guy!

Yes that also happened with the clown/circus tour theme and the beautiful freaks concept. I think he is embracing the whole black and white setting and letting the music be the colour now. It's not just the balloons and the stark set but himself as well.

It's funny that it was only a year ago I was complaining about the over the top costumes and his ever increasing pretentious fashionworld influences offstage. It wasn't that I expected or wanted him to wear skinny jeans and Converse forever and didn't want him to grow up. I just didn't expect him to go in the direction he was headed. I really like what he's doing now. It's grown up and sophisticated without being pretentious and appearing like he's out of touch with the real world.

I'm tired of Gaga's schtick already and I guess Katy Perry can still get away with it because she is a girl and a bit younger. But Mika is a man now and not a boy and he would just become a caricature of himself if he didn't move on. I think if you want to prove you are not a novelty act there comes a time when you have to let the music more or less stand on its own without all these distractions.

Yes that also happened with the clown/circus tour theme and the beautiful freaks concept. I think he is embracing the whole black and white setting and letting the music be the colour now. It's not just the balloons and the stark set but himself as well.

It's funny that it was only a year ago I was complaining about the over the top costumes and his ever increasing pretentious fashionworld influences offstage. It wasn't that I expected or wanted him to wear skinny jeans and Converse forever and didn't want him to grow up. I just didn't expect him to go in the direction he was headed. I really like what he's doing now. It's grown up and sophisticated without being pretentious and appearing like he's out of touch with the real world.

I'm tired of Gaga's schtick already and I guess Katy Perry can still get away with it because she is a girl and a bit younger. But Mika is a man now and not a boy and he would just become a caricature of himself if he didn't move on. I think if you want to prove you are not a novelty act there comes a time when you have to let the music more or less stand on its own without all these distractions.

Totally agree with you!

The music should always be the most important part

Very well said!

• 1 month later...