Ma Jeunesse - Lyrics/Discussion

I love the song, it's so intense and the music tells a story by itself :wub2:

But I would enjoy it more if I wouldn't start brooding from where I know the melody of the beginning of the chorus ("Pour faire plus vieux qu'elle, je changeais ma voix") all the time. Does it sound familiar to anyone else? I think it's an older song, 70s or 80s, and sung high as well. But I have no idea which one, it drives me crazy :aah:

Are you thinking of

? When Ma Jeunesse was first stuck in my head, my brain kept wanting to put "so I cry sometimes when I'm laying in bed . . ." to the music. :teehee: I don't think they sound the same really, it's just the notes jump up high and then work their way down.

I love the song, it's so intense and the music tells a story by itself :wub2:

But I would enjoy it more if I wouldn't start brooding from where I know the melody of the beginning of the chorus ("Pour faire plus vieux qu'elle, je changeais ma voix") all the time. Does it sound familiar to anyone else? I think it's an older song, 70s or 80s, and sung high as well. But I have no idea which one, it drives me crazy :aah:

I'm thinking of 'My Life' by Billy Joel :dunno:

Are you thinking of
? When Ma Jeunesse was first stuck in my head, my brain kept wanting to put "so I cry sometimes when I'm laying in bed . . ." to the music. :teehee: I don't think they sound the same really, it's just the notes jump up high and then work their way down.

I was thinking in that song too :thumb_yello:

No, I don't think it was "What's up" (But there are are indeed some similarities :shocked:)

But "My life" is a really good guess, could be really that one, it felt very right while listening. So if no other song comes to my mind I decide it is that one :wink2:

Thanks girls :thumb_yello:

I must say I really like this song, eventhough I didn't understand much of the lyrics. It almost brought tears to my eyes (Or maybe I'm just emotional at the moment :teehee:).

Then when I looked at the lyrics and figured out what they stand for, it sounded familiar. Like someone said earlier here (I can't really remember who) this is something that everyone could relate to.

And if he really does bring out a CD with French songs, I would go to France to buy it if they wouldn't sell it here. :naughty: So count me in.

while reading all you mfc-ers said above I positively think that song is unsophisticated but not primitive. Better than it seems at the first listening. (even if it reminds me of 4Non-blondes too, sorry:teehee:).

I think this time Mika probably wanted to concentrate on lyrics more. That`s why the melody is so simple and plane. (but nice tho) And remember - it`s always a hard task to create simple but beautiful things. He can do that. He managed. It`s "small" but precious , just try to discern it.

MIKA I LOVE Ma Jeunesse.

The lyrics are very intense, I agree with people thinking they deal with personal stuff, but the melody sounds a bit plain to me, too, I prefer "Comme un soleil" for lyrics+music, and regarding Karen, I find its melody much more catchy, above all for the "Viva-la-Vida-Like crescendo".

BUT I SWEAR I will listen to Ma Jeunesse more than once.

:mf_rosetinted:

I don't think he's going to do anything with these "new" songs he's touring with now. I think he's just trying to mix it up and add something different.

I think you hit the nail on the head Christine.

Anyone remember "Holy Johnny", "How Much Do You Love Me" or any of those other songs he sang during the LICM era?

The only one he kept was Rain.

It'd be great if he put out some new recorded music this year (in that update video he implied he would), but I think these few new songs will just be tunes he plays for this tour, or they'll go on other projects (like with Century Man)

Ma Jeunesse is an okay song. The poetry/lyrics are some of his best, but the actual music is quite plain and boring (although simplicity is MIKA's calling card).

More instrumentation than just block chords on the piano would help it out.

Edited by Daisuke

I think you hit the nail on the head Christine.

Anyone remember "Holy Johnny", "How Much Do You Love Me" or any of those other songs he sang during the LICM era?

The only one he kept was Rain.

It'd be great if he put out some new recorded music this year (in that update video he implied he would), but I think these few new songs will just be tunes he plays for this tour, or they'll go on other projects (like with Century Man)

Ma Jeunesse is an okay song, the poetry/lyrics are some of his best, but the actual music is quite plain and boring (although simplicity is MIKA's calling card).

More instrumentation that just block chords on the piano would help it out.

I see frequent requests that he should record how much do you love me...

I see frequent requests that he should record how much do you love me...

(Off topic); but before he records HMDYLM, I want him to play "Tah Dah" and "Lover Boy" live, release another live album, and rerecord "Instant Martyr" and "Only Lonely One".

(Off topic); but before he records HMDYLM, I want him to play "Tah Dah" and "Lover Boy" live, release another live album, and rerecord "Instant Martyr" and "Only Lonely One".

I would love to have all of his own stuff, which he has used in concerts, to be released on live albums - of course the best versions - everything has it's own charm :thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

I have tears streaming from this :') I dont think I've ever heard a more moving song; the lyrics, the perfect tone and emotion in his voice. I dont know what to say. It's perfect <3

It is... When he sang it live, in Montreal, I was a bit lost about what he was talking about during the first verse and I don't think I was the only one because at some point he made a little hand gesture like bear with me for a second.

And then it all made sense. :thumb_yello:

The more I listen to it, the more I'm in love with the song :wub2:

It is... When he sang it live, in Montreal, I was a bit lost about what he was talking about during the first verse and I don't think I was the only one because at some point he made a little hand gesture like bear with me for a second.

And then it all made sense. :thumb_yello:

The more I listen to it, the more I'm in love with the song :wub2:

You are right, it was the same for me. I was like.. ????? Who are you talking about. :blink: When you listen to my video, you hear that it takes like.. 1 ou 2 seconds before people understand that he talks about his youth. And then everybody start to scream. :naughty:

You are right, it was the same for me. I was like.. ????? Who are you talking about. :blink: When you listen to my video, you hear that it takes like.. 1 ou 2 seconds before people understand that he talks about his youth. And then everybody start to scream. :naughty:

In my ears it's another masterpiece, which I fell in love with, immediately - just like "Karen" - you just sit there with an open mouth, like: "is it possible" ?!?!

But of course it is! :thumb_yello: After all, we're talking about MIKA :wub2:

Love,love

me

In my ears it's another masterpiece, which I fell in love with, immediately - just like "Karen" - you just sit there with an open mouth, like: "is it possible" ?!?!

But of course it is! :thumb_yello: After all, we're talking about MIKA :wub2:

Love,love

me

I like Karen too but I like Ma jeunesse more than Karen because the message behind the lyrics is a little stronger in my opinion. Both are still incredible songs. :wub2:

I like Karen too but I like Ma jeunesse more than Karen because the message behind the lyrics is a little stronger in my opinion. Both are still incredible songs. :wub2:

Karen is good but my favorite are Ma jeunesse et Un soleil mal luné. Both very powerful lyrics with a simple melody:thumb_yello: This just keeps getting better and better:wub2:

Karen is good but my favorite are Ma jeunesse et Un soleil mal luné. Both very powerful lyrics with a simple melody:thumb_yello: This just keeps getting better and better:wub2:

I generally find his french songs more appealing strangely...theyre more poetic in their lyrics I think. Don't know if you agree?

• 1 month later...

J'arrête pas d'écouter c'te chanson...musicalement c'est un chef d'œuvre , tout y est : les paroles , la musique , la finesse , l'émotion...c'est une BELLE chanson , et pas seulement une bonne chanson. Je pense vraiment que Mika devrait la sortie en single en France.

J'arrête pas d'écouter c'te chanson...musicalement c'est un chef d'œuvre , tout y est : les paroles , la musique , la finesse , l'émotion...c'est une BELLE chanson , et pas seulement une bonne chanson. Je pense vraiment que Mika devrait la sortie en single en France.

Oui cette chanson a tout!!:thumb_yello:

Les paroles sont magnifiques!!:thumb_yello::wub2:

J'ai hâte d'entendre la version studio:wub2:

exactement! cette chanson est l'une des meilleures chansons qu'il ait jamais fait!

Ça serait le top ! Mais j'espère qu'il en fera pas une version trop élaborée sans trop d'arrangements. Si seulement il pouvait la sortie en single !

exactement! cette chanson est l'une des meilleures chansons qu'il ait jamais fait!

Oui c'est rare de voir des paroles aussi contruites c'est vrai les chansons françaises que l'on entend à la radio, les paroles ne sont pas rechercher... :/

Tandis que là ça exprime vraiment quelquechose, on ressent de fortes émotions rien quand l'entendant c'est juste magique!!:wub2::tears: