Jounieh International Festival in Beirut, Lebanon - 2 July 2013 -- REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

mari62

are you sure? I saw a vid someone posted on Instagram that was Lollipop:shocked:

Same here!

:dunno: maybe she was wrong or she does not remember very well, or maybe the language confused me, she tweeted in french, sorry :blush-anim-cl:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mika wows fans with low-key show

July 04, 2013 12:18 AM

By Chirine Lahoud

The Daily Star[/font]

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Culture/Performance/2013/Jul-04/222436-mika-wows-fans-with-low-key-show.ashx#axzz2Y1fUZDvO

Thanks a lot for posting !!

3vly.jpg

Mika thanked Beirut for its warm welcome and expressed his gratitude to the public.

JOUNIEH: “Relax, Take it Easy.” Many of us may have sung or hummed this song by the Lebanon-born British singer/ songwriter who was named Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr., and calls himself Mika.

Mika gained international fame thanks to his album “Life in Cartoon Motion,” released in 2007, from which issued “Grace Kelly,” “Lollipop,” “Happy Ending” and “Love Today” and several others, including “Relax, Take it Easy.” These were all huge hits on the European music charts.

Mika sang all these tunes Tuesday evening at the Jounieh International Festival, a performance that recalled much of the success of his 2008 Martyrs’ Square concert, held under the aegis of the Beiteddine Festival.

Jounieh’s Fouad Chehab Stadium was full to the rafters with devoted fans awaiting their idol, curious revelers and the odd journalist on assignment – kids, teens and more mature aficionados of Mika’s brand of pop. All hands roared with approval the minute the artist took to the stage.

A number of international artists scheduled to perform in Lebanon this summer have canceled their gigs due to the tense security situation in the country. Mika didn’t seem bothered in the least, preferring to express pride in his Lebanese origins.

“I’m half Lebanese,” he said. “Stop pulling my leg.”

And with that, Mika’s powerful and crystal-clear voice took his Jounieh audience on a musical roller-coaster ride.

Mika’s onstage antics went on for almost two hours. He put a hat on, took it off, then put it back on again. He jumped about on stage. He invited a woman in the audience to come up on stage with him. He threw water on the folks in the front rows. And made fun of his guitarist, Max.

Those who are familiar with Mika’s work – especially those who have already participated in one of his concerts outside of Lebanon – may have felt a trace of disappointment about Jounieh’s stage design.

Mika concerts are known to be fantasy-like worlds, with the vividly colored stage scattered with performance toys and other accessories. Fouad Chehab Stadium’s set design had no such items on stage. A facsimile of an antique arcade was the stage’s sole adornment. The performer still managed to transport his audience into his world, simply by talking to them, sharing some personal anecdotes and throwing giant rubber balloons at them.

At several points during his performance, he waved a big Lebanese flag, thanked Beirut for its warm welcome and expressed his gratitude to the public.

Naturally the Jounieh show provided an occasion for him to sing some tracks from his latest album, “The Origin of Love,” released in France in Sept. 2012, which saw the singer-songwriter compose in French.

“Underwater” – which has been playing constantly on Lebanese radio stations – was on Tuesday night’s playlist, as was “Elle me Dit” (‘She Tells Me’), “Love You When I’m Drunk” and the title track, “Origin of Love.”

The groove was infectious and audience members weren’t able to stay seated. Fans stood up at the first opportunity and rushed to the stage. More circumspect types waved colorful fluorescent tubes.

Clusters of teenage girls spent the evening squealing their lungs out, threatening to deafen any somewhat older journalists standing close-by. These youngsters knew all Mika’s song lyrics, all of them. Those who were not quite so plugged-in were able to enjoy the ambient good vibe, singing along quietly when the singer returned to one of his antique classics.

Some folks living in the buildings surrounding the stadium also enjoyed the show. Anyway they waved their arms from the balconies.

Once in a while, Mika punctuated his show with “Keefak Beirut?” (‘How are you Beirut?’), “Ana Mafi Mo7” (‘I’m crazy’) – suggesting once more that the artist revels in being in Lebanon once again, if only for the chance it gave him to demonstrate his Arabic skills.

Mika is a fine entertainer, with a remarkably ability to control his spectators’ energy levels. At the end of “Underwater,” the lights dimmed and the artist asked his audience to close their eyes and shout the chorus as though “you were the last person on Earth.”

Not everyone did as they were told, of course. Yet it was touching to see youngsters doing what their idol suggested, screaming as though wanting to be heard.

Mondanite magazine

https://www.facebook.com/Mondanite

Mika Rocks Jounieh

Posted by mymondanite ⋅ July 3, 2013

http://mymondanite.wordpress.com/2013/07/03/mika-rocks-jounieh/

Following the incredible performances of French music giant Michel Sardou and Arabic pop superstar Ragheb Alama, the 2013 edition of the Jounieh International Festival, organized by the NGO Phellipolis, gave Lebanese music lovers one of the year’s most memorable performances in an amazing concert by Mika, the international star with Lebanese roots.

Born Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr. on August 18th, 1983 in Beirut to a Lebanese mother and an American father, the boy we know today as Mika had to leave a country torn by a devastating civil war and took refuge in Europe –first in Paris, then in London. At the tender age of 7, Mika starts noticing his musical talents; in 2006, his first single, Relax, Take it Easy was made available for digital download and his album, Life in Cartoon Motion hit the stands. Selling more than 6 million copies worldwide, it is a certified diamond album. The single Love Today, taken off that same album, was nominated at the 2008 Grammy Awards. In 2009, Mika released his second album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, a certified triple platinum album selling more than 350 000 copies around the world. In 2010, he released the song Kick Ass (We Are Young), a single off the soundtrack for the movie Kick Ass. His third album, The Origin of Love, was released in 2012 and includes songs in both English and French, including the French hit Elle Me Dit. In 2013, Mika announced he’d be the first international mentor on the Italian version of X Factor, and he delved into fashion design –he recently released a clothing line for Belgian clothes brand JBC. Mika’s songs are, for the most part, upbeat and fun, but he does not shy away from delicate matters, thorny subjects and taboos. He has repeatedly said he refused any label, sexual or other, that society tried to impose.

This British-American-Lebanese singer-songwriter is known for his incredible stage presence and the energy he brings to every performance. Yesterday’s concert saw him stay true to this, and Mika’s fans gave back all the energy the singer communicated to them, singing with him and clapping along to the beat of his hit song. This singer, who often declares his love for Lebanon on Twitter, completely charmed his public and rocked Jounieh.

FULL size pic (5616 x 3744 )http://mymondanite.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/img_8213.jpg

img_8213.jpg?w=750&h=500

FULL size pic ( 3744 x 5616 ) http://mymondanite.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/img_8132.jpg

img_8132.jpg?w=750&h=1125

http://mymondanite.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/img_83121.jpg

img_83121.jpg?w=750&h=500

http://mymondanite.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/img_8312.jpg

img_8312.jpg?w=750&h=500

PRESS ::

Mika wows fans with low-key show

July 04, 2013 12:18 AM

By Chirine Lahoud

The Daily Star

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Culture/Performance/2013/Jul-04/222436-mika-wows-fans-with-low-key-show.ashx#axzz2Y1fUZDvO

That's so great. I couldn't resist commenting on the review, especially since it is a UK paper.

That's so great. I couldn't resist commenting on the review, especially since it is a UK paper.

It's great that you did It Marilyn!! :thumb_yello:- A very nice report, that might wake up some sleeping people:teehee:

Love,love

me

TimeOutBeirut.com

to_logo132x90.gif

GAP sponsors Mika concert Posted: Jul 16 2013

On Friday the 2nd of July 2013, GAP supported renowned music artist Mika in his concert at the Jounieh International Festival. Fans enjoyed listening to familiar tunes of pop and rock taken from Mika’s latest alubm: "The Origin of Love." GAP offered customers the chance to win free tickets to the concert by having them upload pictures of themselves in GAP's fitting rooms to instagram with the #GAPLebanon tag. GAP custmores could also upload their favourite photos of the concert using the same hashtag for the opportunity to win a $200 GAP gift voucher.

GAP stores are available at Le Mall Sin El Fil, Beirut Souks and Le Mall Dbayeh.

GOOD LUCK !! :thumb_yello:

Ha! Eriko I'm laughing at your sig -- that's the old Mikasounds before they had to make it static because it was crashing everyone's site. Wherever did you find that? :teehee:

Ha! Eriko I'm laughing at your sig -- that's the old Mikasounds before they had to make it static because it was crashing everyone's site. Wherever did you find that? :teehee:

I'd like to save everything....:blush-anim-cl:

I got it by MikaMagicNumbers, you know, love the screen saver very much.

uploaded the file on YouTube.

[YOUTUBE]I5ewqBccKX0[/YOUTUBE]