2020 @ The Forum, Melbourne, Australia 27 Feb REPORTS / PICS / VIDS

Kumazzz

:aussie:  MELBOURNE !!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9EgezwFs6L/

mikainstagram

So proud to have an audience like the one I have discovered this past week.
Warm, full of love, explosive energy and generous. I feel on high.
Thank you for these shows.
See you soon Australia and New Zealand, I have had the best time ever. ❤️ #melbourne #mikainaustralia

REPORTS

PICS

VIDEOS

PRESS

Edited by Kumazzz
updating

4 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

3 hours ago, Mikasister said:

2 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

And a short but very funny video . Well, not very hygienic in regard of the virus :mfr_lol:

I will never get tired of saying and repeating that he belongs to the stage.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PRESS

Silver Tiger Media.com.au

[LIVE REVIEW]

Mika @ Forum Theatre, Melbourne 27/02/2020

The Boy Who Knew Too Much – no sight. The Origin of Love – nothing. No Place In Heaven – radio silence. My Name Is Michael Holbrook… For twelve long and painful years we have waited for Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr, aka MIKA to reintroduce himself to Australia as a returning artist and on the very last leg of his Revelations Tour (due to the cancellation of the Asian run), MIKA acknowledged his serious oversight – “What was I thinking! I promise I won’t make you wait for another decade to return”.

The anticipation for Mika was at fever pitch upon entering the heavenly Forum Theatre last night, a dynamic crowd spanning across all ages, genders, sizes and orientation signifying that this was a safe space of inclusion and no judgement. Leaping across the stage in a royal blue fitted suit, MIKA was a vibrant ray of sunshine ready to radiate his positive energy over the venue across an hour and a half set. When the sunshine is out, that calls for one thing – Ice Cream! The lead single from the fifth studio album My Name Is Michael Holbrook, Ice Cream was a delicious way to melt into the set.

MIKA is a ball of charisma, taking a brief segway to discuss the insecurities of jealousy; MIKA exercised his front man abilities made up of alluring wit, undeniable charm and exhausting energy, before launching into the theatrical synth-based Dear Jealousy.

Like holding onto a colourful bunch of balloons, letting them go to float away and watching them drift blissfully up into the heavens only to pop and shower down a storm of glitter to reveal a glorious bright rainbow, MIKA weaved through a kaleidoscope set with moments of bold liveliness against euphoric stillness.

Relax, Take It Easy shook through the speakers, with MIKA’s stunning falsetto edging into the forefront for a delightful sing-along to close. Origin of Love and Platform Ballerinas followed with spirit fingers twinkling in the air, before the booming anthem Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) was teased and teased and teased before finally lifting the audience to the next floor of the Revelations Tour elevator, no feet stagnate on the ground. Taking his jacket off and leaping into the crowd, MIKA took on the role of Moses, parting the sea of crowd. He zigzagged through encouraging punters to JUMP, would witness a man who had “jumped the highest [he] had ever seen in his life”.

Tiny Love saw Mika become a conductor, leading the crowd choir through a harmony of ‘highs’, and he stayed in this role for the stunning Underwater. Paloma saw Mika take to the piano and Tomorrow was an exceptional showcase of his mammoth range, impeccable control and larger-than-life pipes. Lollipop scaled us back into Life In Cartoon territory for a bubbly, jazzy bop, backed up by the MIKA meets Wicked musical theatre piece, Popular Song.  

The kicker of the evening – the chill inducing song – the start of the three song extravaganza – Happy Ending was spectacular and then MIKA dropped his microphone. The lights came down, a spotlight shining over MIKA and his acoustic guitarist. Wait- could this be?! Yes MIKA delivered the final touches of the gorgeous song as an a cappella serenade. THIS MAN IS INCREDIBLE! His spine-tingling vocals blanketed the entire Forum Theatre; his control unwavering and his musicianship off the scale. I went into the evening with a pre-conceived notion – I know some songs, I’ll have a boogie and it will be worth it for the seminal and infectious Grace Kelly. I did not expect to be blown away and I did not expect to leave as a big MIKA fan. I sure as hell did not expect to have a full out-of-body experience when seeing MIKA go a cappella but here we are! He then topped this with the colourful Love Today and We Are Golden closing out an outrageously huge set.

A stampede had entered the Forum as everyone trotted loudly, clapping and cheering for an encore. MIKA re-entered the stage, a new black and white suit on and LGBTQI pride flag in hand as the popstar swirled into the wildly seminal song, Grace Kelly, which ignited the venue with everyone attempting to hit those obnoxiously high notes chanting ‘why don’t you like me’. To finish off an incredible evening of sheer talent, infectious adrenaline and fruitful fun was Tiny Love / Stay High (reprise).

Bouncing around the stage following a final curtain call bow, MIKA boogied on to the 90’s anthem Pump Up The Jam by Technotronic – the perfect way to end a vibrant concert.

MIKA went above and beyond for his Melbourne show, the final show for Australia and for the tour and I hope our crowd convinced him to hold his promise and returns to our shores ASAP. Until then, I’ll be listening to MIKA on repeat as a new fan.

Mika-13.thumb.jpg.9341ad2f40358377e467a913e2f9d76e.jpg

• Like 1

What I noticed in Lollipop is that probably for the first time (tho I didn't see a video of Lollipop from Sydney) he didn't hide behind any characters for the story he tells, he doesn't talk about Frere Jaques or Cinderella, but about himself. I'd really love to hear more of the things he talked on this Australian tour, finally he tells his stories in English - but it seems people mostly filmed the music, not the talking.

Here's Nina's blog about the Melbourne gig: https://www.mikagigs.com/2020/02/29/mika-forum-melbourne-in-melbourne-australia-2-2020/