Mika guest at Ça Finit Bien La Semaine 2 April 2021 at 19h on TVA

Gabry74

3 hours ago, mellody said:

I find the part about Mika/Michael quite interesting. In the 2019 interviews he said he wants to bring together the two, in his "letter from Mika to Michael" he wrote something like the two would melt like ice cream in the sun to become one. And now he says Michael isn't his friend, he still doesn't know him. So it seems the identity finding part of MNIMH, idk, might not have gone the way he had planned? On the other hand, he also said that he never really knows himself and that this is part of what drives his creativity. So that seems like a contradiction to trying to unite the two. Certainly an interesting facet of his personality.

Ha ha ha. He maybe would like to melt both "personalities" but it doesn't mean he is able to do this.

Actually it doesn't bother me at all.

For me it's normal (specially for artists) to have two lives (at least).

One - in private where you have to struggle with daily problems and situations - like police, taxes, your lover in the same room :wink2:.

Another - your artistic incarnation - when you feel free at creative. This is what Mika sais - when he is on the stage he feels really free.

I don't even want to imagine Mika-artist acting in the same way in his private life.

On the other hand you can't be all the time "a star". It's not a usual state of life.

I know from my own experience - when I enter this creativity moment I forget the whole world. I don't feel hungry, I don't feel tires, I don't see the time passing. But when this moment is over I feel exhausted and I am coming back to my "normal existence" with pain in my back or some ordinary things to do like cleaning, shopping ect.

3 hours ago, mellody said:

Btw, I read an article a few weeks ago where they wrote that childhood traumatization can cause a person to develop multiple personalities, which sometimes aren't even aware of each other - but not like schizophrenia, it's a complex thing... Mika obviously knows about these two sides of him, so I don't know... but as he says that he really has two different personalities, it seems it's not just a construct to make others understand him better, not just the stage persona vs the private life, that's why this interview reminded me of the article I had read.

Mika sais that he doesn't know Michael very well. Yes, it is this denial of something in you that you don't accept. Good thing is that he is aware of this. I think we all have in us this part we don't want to have, we do not accept. It's a part of our living.

When I listen to Mika now vs his interviews for the MNIMH promos I can see how he changed - became more "adult". Well, of course when you do the promo you are so excited and you want to share the best of your art. So sometimes maybe he overacted. On the other hand we know that Mika (as we all) is constantly learning about himself. And I find him stronger now. 

It will be a great pleasure to observe his next steps. What is he preparing next? What direction will he take? I can't wait to learn about it!

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

we know that Mika (as we all) is constantly learning about himself. And I find him stronger now. 

It will be a great pleasure to observe his next steps. What is he preparing next? What direction will he take? I can't wait to learn about it!

That for sure. :thumb_yello:

About the first part of your post, what I was trying to say is that while so far I thought the same what you write, that it's just about private vs popstar life, in this interview (especially in combination with some of the other things he said about it in the past) it sounds to me like there's more to it than that. But ofc I could be wrong. :dunno_grin:

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:28 PM, mellody said:

I find the part about Mika/Michael quite interesting. In the 2019 interviews he said he wants to bring together the two, in his "letter from Mika to Michael" he wrote something like the two would melt like ice cream in the sun to become one. And now he says Michael isn't his friend, he still doesn't know him. So it seems the identity finding part of MNIMH, idk, might not have gone the way he had planned? On the other hand, he also said that he never really knows himself and that this is part of what drives his creativity. So that seems like a contradiction to trying to unite the two. Certainly an interesting facet of his personality.

There are parts of us or parts of our past that we would like to forget or are just not proud of. I don’t think Mika and Michael are the same person and I also think they never will be. If the tension between the two drives his creativity, so why would he reunite the them? 

And thing is, aren’t we all like that as well? We just don’t call it different names, but we definitely have different hats on. I have a white coat I put on when I’m at work, but when I take it off I am this other person. It’s not about melting everything together, because that will be just one big grey mess. It’s about embracing our different colours 🙃 and let them stay vibrant. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2021 at 10:08 PM, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Yes…. Yes…. I discovered that I am an adult. And I know it sounds ridiculous. You're looking at a 37-year-old guy saying "yes, I found out that I'm an adult." You're probably thinking: He says it, he has two personalities ...

So glad I’m not the only one 🙈 thank you Mika.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

There are parts of us or parts of our past that we would like to forget or are just not proud of. I don’t think Mika and Michael are the same person and I also think they never will be. If the tension between the two drives his creativity, so why would he reunite the them? 

And thing is, aren’t we all like that as well? We just don’t call it different names, but we definitely have different hats on. I have a white coat I put on when I’m at work, but when I take it off I am this other person. It’s not about melting everything together, because that will be just one big grey mess. It’s about embracing our different colours 🙃 and let them stay vibrant. 

Hm, I don't know... I'm sure we have different roles in our life - like, of course when I interact with my children, different sides of my personality come to the forefront than when I go to a Mika concert. But idk, it's all me, it's not like someone who knows me well would be surprised about how I am in a different surrounding than where they know me from - or at least I think so.

I remember we had this discussion in 2019 when Mika said in an interview "no one ever really knows themselves", that some people agreed but others said, well Mika, speak for yourself, I do know myself! While I'm rather part of the latter group, I tried to interpret his words in a way that you might know yourself but there's always change, and when a crisis happens you have to develop new skills you didn't knew you had, to be able to deal with it. So a personality never is something that's engraved in stone. Anyway people have certain core values in their life, and also certain personality traits like being introvert or extrovert - and these might just stay the same all your life. Identity.

Maybe I'm mixing up now what he said about being two different people and about Michael being someone he doesn't know. But both is something that I just don't feel in my own reality. What you say about embracing our different colours, yes, definitely. Many people are full of contradictions, and that makes everyone unique. It's the same for me. But I rather see it as facets, like a diamond or an opal, that shows different reflections depending on how the light shines on it. But it's still the same gem, it's one fascinating piece, and not a big grey mess at all.

Anyway, even if I personally can't identify with what he says, I'm trying to understand his reality. He said in 2019 that his lyrics are Michael, and his melodies are Mika. This is the article I refer to, it's written by him about this Mika/Michael relation and certainly one of the most interesting articles I've read about him in all those years:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mellody said:

Hm, I don't know... I'm sure we have different roles in our life - like, of course when I interact with my children, different sides of my personality come to the forefront than when I go to a Mika concert. But idk, it's all me, it's not like someone who knows me well would be surprised about how I am in a different surrounding than where they know me from - or at least I think so.

I remember we had this discussion in 2019 when Mika said in an interview "no one ever really knows themselves", that some people agreed but others said, well Mika, speak for yourself, I do know myself! While I'm rather part of the latter group, I tried to interpret his words in a way that you might know yourself but there's always change, and when a crisis happens you have to develop new skills you didn't knew you had, to be able to deal with it. So a personality never is something that's engraved in stone. Anyway people have certain core values in their life, and also certain personality traits like being introvert or extrovert - and these might just stay the same all your life. Identity.

Maybe I'm mixing up now what he said about being two different people and about Michael being someone he doesn't know. But both is something that I just don't feel in my own reality. What you say about embracing our different colours, yes, definitely. Many people are full of contradictions, and that makes everyone unique. It's the same for me. But I rather see it as facets, like a diamond or an opal, that shows different reflections depending on how the light shines on it. But it's still the same gem, it's one fascinating piece, and not a big grey mess at all.

Anyway, even if I personally can't identify with what he says, I'm trying to understand his reality. He said in 2019 that his lyrics are Michael, and his melodies are Mika. This is the article I refer to, it's written by him about this Mika/Michael relation and certainly one of the most interesting articles I've read about him in all those years:

Well, I guess I am more the first camp, where I can say that I am very different when I’m in a different role. This also happens when I switch language, there it is more apparent, especially if the conversation is multilingual. I’ve noticed this with Mika as well, he is more candid in French and more reserved in English. 

I guess the contrast of him being the quiet kid at school and the performer at night, formed an escape for him where he was allowed to be a different person, a different reality where he was still all him, that part of him was just suppressed, but needed that outlet. His liberté d’expression as he called his Varieté from Sunday, but I think he applies it strongly in his own life as well, thus Mika/Michael. 

I think it’s just his way of seeing his life and his place on the world. I can relate to that, I have a similar approach.

The way you describe it is beautiful though, that you’re a gem that shines differently with different light. In the end I think we all say the same thing, but to some the difference sided feel more extreme than to others. 

• Like 4