Mika in UK and Ireland press - 2023

Kumazzz

• 2 weeks later...

Dig ( Part of the Warner Recorded Music family)

https://www.thisisdig.com/feature/best-lgbtq-pride-songs-2/

04 June 2023

Best LGBTQ+ Pride Songs: 50 Anthems That Celebrate Inclusive Sexuality

From disco classics to transcendent pieces of modern pop, the best LGBTQ+ Pride songs have championed the cause and effected change.

What makes the ultimate LGBTQ+ Pride anthem? A euphoric (usually female) vocal? The call to arms of emboldened identity or perhaps a powerful piece of evocative storytelling? Maybe just perfect timing – simply the right song at the right moment? These 40 best LGBTQ+ Pride songs all exemplify much of that list, but also deliver an extra special something that elevates their status from a worthy canon. Music can effect change, and this countdown is the narrative of a struggle that’s decades in the making, with so much achieved but still so much further to go…

Listen to 100 great Pride anthems here, and check out our 40 best LGBTQ+ Pride songs, below

Spotify

42: Mika: Grace Kelly (2007)

Easily one of the best LGBTQ+ Pride songs of the 2000s, the gay singer’s second single shot to the top of the UK charts in its second week and ended up 2007’s third-biggest seller on the eve of the download era. This joyful pop gem has across-the-board appeal and launched Mika as a big international star. Across much-loved studio albums, many singles and an extensive TV career – including co-hosting the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest – the BRIT Award-winner has increasingly used his platform to speak up against homophobia. This singalong anthem with a theatrical twist remains a highlight in a stellar career, and there’s another link with Grace Kelly to the legendary song contest, too – 2023’s UK entrant, Mae Muller, appeared in its video when she was just nine years old.

Twitter

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, silver said:

Not sure these radio announcements need to be posted Eriko - the thread is really for press

Yes, I tend to agree -- I don't think we can or should post every single time someone plays a Mika song on the radio. :dunno:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, silver said:

Not sure these radio announcements need to be posted Eriko - the thread is really for press

5 hours ago, dcdeb said:

Yes, I tend to agree -- I don't think we can or should post every single time someone plays a Mika song on the radio. :dunno:

OK, I won't post these radio playing Mika songs.:bye:

These BBC radio stations have not played MIKA songs for a period of years... they changed their attitude since Eurovision 2022. But, most UK radio stations play just only Grace Kelly on broadcasting.:glasses3:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

OK, I won't post these radio playing Mika songs.:bye:

These BBC radio stations have not played MIKA songs for a period of years... they changed their attitude since Eurovision 2022. But, most UK radio stations play just only Grace Kelly on broadcasting.:glasses3:

Yes, usually Grace Kelly - sometimes Love Today, sometimes Big Girl - but never anything from his other albums :sad:

They don't know what they are missing.

• Like 5

The article is the interview with Nick Grimshaw, the journalist mentioned Nick's tweets in March.

nickgrimshaw(@grimmers)_Twitter.thumb.png.7cc09679d3aaadd443580ee9af71ab2f.png

Heat UK - 17 - 23 June 2023

👉 PDF file 2023-06-17 Heat-UK_p38-41.pdf

page 41

You got mistaken for Mika on a train recently.

Who else have you been mistaken for?

I’ve had a few Mikas and a Rufus Wainwright.

Someone once asked if I was Ross Kemp, but I think they meant Roman Kemp…

At least, I hope they did! ■

2023-06-17Heat-41_MIKA.jpg.ea1ed0cb164979d2d00bbc35d1742748.jpg

page 38 + 39

heat-3839.thumb.jpg.a5c03158d0fa090b60973849d93e3f43.jpg

page 40 + 41

heat-4041.thumb.jpg.8d918b204699960e67e8f26718fe01ce.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Someone once asked if I was Ross Kemp, but I think they meant Roman Kemp…

At least, I hope they did!

:lol3:

Ross Kemp

Ross-Kemp.jpg.90765b06d1d286e3dfc98da3f52acc6d.jpg

Roman Kemp

roman-kemp.jpg.22cc607a51a313c0eee0873a7f8c2530.jpg

• Haha 1

I don't know why they wrote a review "No Place In Heaven".

Maybe... they are going to change their mind and start promotion again.

udiscovermusic

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/no-place-like-heaven-mika-review/

Published on June 15, 2023

‘No Place In Heaven’: Mika’s Mature Pop Album

Mika called his fourth record a direct, low-down, open, playful, candid yet mature pop album. Here’s why it’s an essential part of his discography.

Mika’s No Place In Heaven, his fourth album, was quickly acknowledged upon its release as his most confident work to date, packed with playful pop tunes showing just how accomplished his songwriting was becoming. If the more brittle tension of his first two albums had mellowed by the time his third, The Origin Of Love, was issued, No Place was sunnier still.

“After the age of 30, I made a promise to myself to stop isolating myself so much, and to throw myself into things with a bit more of a care-free, candid attitude,” he told Out ahead of the collection’s stateside release. “[This is a] direct, low-down, open, playful, candid yet mature pop album, which takes its inspiration from 60s pop music – very much the way my first did.”

Certainly the first single and opening cut, “Talk About You,” issued in March of 2015, showcases that tone perfectly; its breezy melody complemented by a sharp video with echoes of glorious golden-era Hollywood sound stages and more contemporary high-concept Broadway musicals. But with only modest chart placings achieved for the release in continental Europe, a further series of promotional videos of other cuts was quickly issued to build the album’s profile. Even then, only the official second single “Staring at the Sun” drew much further chart attention. Drafting in pop song-writing titans Wayne Hector and Benny Benassi helped craft a near-certain smash, with a chorus that echoes the commercial ballast of stadium gods Coldplay or OneRepublic.

Indeed, most of the album’s commercial success was largely concentrated in markets where his parallel career as a TV music judge was in full throttle. In France, Mika could be found perched on one of the famous red chairs on The Voice, and in Italy, he was halfway through a three-year run as a judge on The X Factor.

Nonetheless, No Place In Heaven is a diverse, hugely accomplished collection. “All She Wants” takes its cue from the Californian pop of the 1960s, with a chorus that Mama Cass might have easily claimed as her own; while the poignant piano ballad “Last Party” sounds like a lost composition from the decade-later songbook of Elton John. The director and celebrated fashion photographer Peter Lindbergh stepped behind the lens to helm a simple and hauntingly beautiful video performance in black and white that’s among Mika’s most arresting. As with other artists with a strong drive to innovate, it’s sometimes true that less will result in more.

“Oh Girl You’re the Devil” also riffs on the piano-pop of the 1970s. The comparisons with the singer-songwriters of that era are obvious, but no less justified for their familiarity; but to accuse Mika of following some sort of formula is to entirely miss the mark. The influences are there but, by No Place In Heaven, he’d found more balance and layered, easy charm in his work. On “Good Guys,” the rephrase “Where have all the gay guys gone?” displays a level of confidence that’s evidence, perhaps, of how much easier Mika was finding his thirties than the decade in which he first found fame.

One track that was dusted down for belated single issue was “Hurts.” In its original form, it is a sparse, haunting ballad. For its inclusion on the Italian film Un Bacio’s soundtrack, it was given an electro-pop makeover and did solid business in the one market that he could rely on.

“Good Wife” and “Rio” are perhaps the compositions that might have found a berth most easily on Life In Cartoon Motion or The Boy Who Knew Too Much – the storytelling on both is imaginatively evocative and the melodies direct enough to power a simple surge of adrenaline. (If Mika ever decides to create some musical theatre, you’d be advised to be first in line booking those seats early.)

“Ordinary Man” closes the standard collection of No Place In Heaven and was acclaimed as the most beautiful ballad he had recorded to date. On Sinfonia Pop, a live concert recording made at the 19th century Teatro Sociale in Como, Italy, accompanied by a full orchestra conducted by Simon Leclerc, it’s an absolute triumph.

Mika-No-Place-Like-Heaven-Cover-1536x1536.thumb.jpg.e0026550b0c0ead3313b9d3210a67d76.jpg

Twitter

Edited by Kumazzz

On 3/28/2023 at 2:40 AM, SusanT said:

Don't know if this is the right place to put the link to an online article that mentions "Big Girl" trending on TikTok.

uDiscover Music

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/trending-songs/

Currently Trending Songs

Thanks to the power of TikTok, social media, and film syncs, classic songs are getting reintroduced to a new generation of fans.

Published on April 7, 2023

By uDiscover Team

March 24 

MIKA – Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) 

Released in 2007, “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)” formed part of MIKA’s colorful debut album Life In Cartoon Motion and gave the star his third Top 10 hit in the UK.

Inspired by the Butterfly Lounge nightclub in Orange County, California – the first club in the area to be part of the Size Acceptance movement – the track celebrated body positivity.

Now, it has become an empowering song on TikTok, as plus-size women share how it has boosted their confidence. 

uDiscover Music

YouTube

Story Behind The Song - Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) by #Mika

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Well, better late than never

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

udiscovermusic

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/no-place-like-heaven-mika-review/

Published on June 15, 2023

‘No Place In Heaven’: Mika’s Mature Pop Album

Mika called his fourth record a direct, low-down, open, playful, candid yet mature pop album. Here’s why it’s an essential part of his discography.

Mika’s No Place In Heaven, his fourth album, was quickly acknowledged upon its release as his most confident work to date, packed with playful pop tunes showing just how accomplished his songwriting was becoming. If the more brittle tension of his first two albums had mellowed by the time his third, The Origin Of Love, was issued, No Place was sunnier still.

“After the age of 30, I made a promise to myself to stop isolating myself so much, and to throw myself into things with a bit more of a care-free, candid attitude,” he told Out ahead of the collection’s stateside release. “[This is a] direct, low-down, open, playful, candid yet mature pop album, which takes its inspiration from 60s pop music – very much the way my first did.”

Certainly the first single and opening cut, “Talk About You,” issued in March of 2015, showcases that tone perfectly; its breezy melody complemented by a sharp video with echoes of glorious golden-era Hollywood sound stages and more contemporary high-concept Broadway musicals. But with only modest chart placings achieved for the release in continental Europe, a further series of promotional videos of other cuts was quickly issued to build the album’s profile. Even then, only the official second single “Staring at the Sun” drew much further chart attention. Drafting in pop song-writing titans Wayne Hector and Benny Benassi helped craft a near-certain smash, with a chorus that echoes the commercial ballast of stadium gods Coldplay or OneRepublic.

Indeed, most of the album’s commercial success was largely concentrated in markets where his parallel career as a TV music judge was in full throttle. In France, Mika could be found perched on one of the famous red chairs on The Voice, and in Italy, he was halfway through a three-year run as a judge on The X Factor.

Nonetheless, No Place In Heaven is a diverse, hugely accomplished collection. “All She Wants” takes its cue from the Californian pop of the 1960s, with a chorus that Mama Cass might have easily claimed as her own; while the poignant piano ballad “Last Party” sounds like a lost composition from the decade-later songbook of Elton John. The director and celebrated fashion photographer Peter Lindbergh stepped behind the lens to helm a simple and hauntingly beautiful video performance in black and white that’s among Mika’s most arresting. As with other artists with a strong drive to innovate, it’s sometimes true that less will result in more.

“Oh Girl You’re the Devil” also riffs on the piano-pop of the 1970s. The comparisons with the singer-songwriters of that era are obvious, but no less justified for their familiarity; but to accuse Mika of following some sort of formula is to entirely miss the mark. The influences are there but, by No Place In Heaven, he’d found more balance and layered, easy charm in his work. On “Good Guys,” the rephrase “Where have all the gay guys gone?” displays a level of confidence that’s evidence, perhaps, of how much easier Mika was finding his thirties than the decade in which he first found fame.

One track that was dusted down for belated single issue was “Hurts.” In its original form, it is a sparse, haunting ballad. For its inclusion on the Italian film Un Bacio’s soundtrack, it was given an electro-pop makeover and did solid business in the one market that he could rely on.

“Good Wife” and “Rio” are perhaps the compositions that might have found a berth most easily on Life In Cartoon Motion or The Boy Who Knew Too Much – the storytelling on both is imaginatively evocative and the melodies direct enough to power a simple surge of adrenaline. (If Mika ever decides to create some musical theatre, you’d be advised to be first in line booking those seats early.)

“Ordinary Man” closes the standard collection of No Place In Heaven and was acclaimed as the most beautiful ballad he had recorded to date. On Sinfonia Pop, a live concert recording made at the 19th century Teatro Sociale in Como, Italy, accompanied by a full orchestra conducted by Simon Leclerc, it’s an absolute triumph.

Mika-No-Place-Like-Heaven-Cover-1536x1536.thumb.jpg.e0026550b0c0ead3313b9d3210a67d76.jpg

Twitter

Have they perhaps reprinted an old article?

• 2 weeks later...

Sound of Life

https://www.soundoflife.com/blogs/mixtape/lgbtq-pride-music-albums

June 08 2023

Celebrate All the Pretty Colours: Music Albums for Pride Season and Beyond

I’ve always held opposing views on listing things. Given how polarised things are currently, no one list can possibly sate every person who puts eyes on it.

On the other hand, a list can provide an opportunity to share something one is passionate about in a concise, informative fashion.

As the saying goes, accentuate the positive and, in that tradition, I did just that.

My intention with this exercise was to spotlight records that (I feel) have shaped (and are shaping) LGBTQ+ culture – then, now and in the future.

It was joyful, if painstaking work doing this, I couldn’t include everything I wanted. However, this list was curated with the best intentions of providing a mere sample of the various talent from a community I’m so very proud to call my own.

I hope you all enjoy reading (and listening).

Spotify playlist

'MY NAME IS MICHAEL HOLBROOK', MIKA

Lebanese-British singer-songwriter Mika has always been something special. At just a little over a decade, he pulled back the curtain on one of his strongest releases yet: My Name Is Michael Holbrook (released Oct 4, 2019).

Mika’s fifth album, titled after his birth name, is in possession of great hooks, enthralling storytelling and awesome performances as heard on “Ice Cream”, “Sanremo” and “Blue”.

The long player beautifully captures one the boldest LGBTQ+ artistes of our time in full, Technicolor motion.

Albums_That_Shaped_LGBTQ_Culture_Article_cover_a71e6ce5-f4f9-4323-8df8-31e95af9fc8f_1000x.thumb.webp.bcffbffe950594698401ecb419189950.webp

• Like 3